Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
124 user(s) are online (109 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 124

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 9 10 11 (12) 13 14 15 ... 45 »

Re: Hamilton Park Renovation - Update
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/2/24 18:16
From "Pay for Play"
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JackieCruise wrote:
The park renovations look great. Lots of folks enjoying it today as I walked through on my way home. The clean up committee is a great idea and perhaps I could participate depending on scheduling.

My old community used to "close the court down for cleaning" twice a day. When trash was picked up the court reopened. Kids used to run around like crazy for about 5 minutes so they could get back to playing ball. Just an idea.

Can we keep vendors out of the actual park? Today there were nine vendors that I saw in just a five minute walk. Most like Made with Love were outside which seems like a good compromise to me as long as the sidewalk around them is clean and clear. The Catch the Flava lady however was in the park near the playground ringing her damn bell incesantly which seemed over the top to me. Is everyone ok with the food trucks taking up the valuable parking spaces around the park? Not a judgement by me, just asking the question.

Also should vendors that are making a profit at/near the park contribute toward clean up???

I would have a talk with the Flava lady and explain nicely that she should quit ringing the bell or she may have complaints that lead to her removal by the city.

The guy with his wife who sells hot dogs has been there forever and he makes little as it is so it would be oppressive to ask them for monies for trash clean-up. Most who buy dogs take them away from park anyway.

I'm sure those who live on the park are not excited about parking places being taken over by any vendors and the vendors should be approached as with Flava. I don't have a problem with vendors on the sidewalk if there is enough room to pass by or the various food trucks if they are considerate of space where they park.

I think overall just common sense, consideration for others and courtesy should be used by all concerned.

Posted on: 2010/5/29 20:14
Resized Image
Help US Sue Spectra! Join OR Donate!

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/1/7 4:11
Group:
Registered Users
The park renovations look great. Lots of folks enjoying it today as I walked through on my way home. The clean up committee is a great idea and perhaps I could participate depending on scheduling.

My old community used to "close the court down for cleaning" twice a day. When trash was picked up the court reopened. Kids used to run around like crazy for about 5 minutes so they could get back to playing ball. Just an idea.

Can we keep vendors out of the actual park? Today there were nine vendors that I saw in just a five minute walk. Most like Made with Love were outside which seems like a good compromise to me as long as the sidewalk around them is clean and clear. The Catch the Flava lady however was in the park near the playground ringing her damn bell incesantly which seemed over the top to me. Is everyone ok with the food trucks taking up the valuable parking spaces around the park? Not a judgement by me, just asking the question.

Also should vendors that are making a profit at/near the park contribute toward clean up???

Posted on: 2010/5/29 19:51
I'm not perfect.....but I'm not all bad either.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/27 11:11
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

That's an understatement. There were bottles scattered all over the grassy areas around the court. The court is a blight. Also, there is NO connection between "Martino" and the people who litter. It's like asking me to talk to speeders on our city streets. Ain't gonna happen. Just organize a clean-up crew. Anything else is like p*ssing in the wind. On a good note, the garbage cans in the other areas of the park were heavily used and the dog-run is spotless.

Great idea lets do it!! Tell me where to sign up! The basketball court was really a mess last night and I have a feeling it is not going to change unless we have an organized neighborhood crew putting in some effort and maybe keeping an eye on things. Those kids are hard to train and I know I just don't have time to teach respect to anyone. If we dont become part of the cure than we become part of the problem.
On another note:
I love the park and am so happy to finally have it back as a part of this neighborhood. I am not looking forward to the new "miniture golf" going in across the street, but that is a whole diffrent subject.

Posted on: 2010/5/29 18:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/11/27 22:56
Group:
Registered Users
Saw this last night and was pretty disappointed. Who the hell do they expect to pick up after them?

Garbage can by that north exit was already overflowing. They might need to put another one there just for volume.

Posted on: 2010/5/29 15:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

stevehpna wrote:
There was some trash under the bleachers, and some of it made it into the blue recycle bin.

Resized Image

Resized Image

We'll put this on the agenda of the next HPNA meeting on June 2, 2010. More details on that later.

Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
Quote:

Amy wrote:
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
The absolutely horrible idea of leaving the BB court in the park was paying dividends tonight. The court is completely trashed. I almost cried when I saw it tonight. Truly disheartening. Meanwhile, the dog-runs are spotless.

I was just walking near the park. I didn't get too close to the courts, but from what I could see they weren't "completely trashed." There was maybe one plastic bag floating around.

The trash bin on the way out of the park on 9th concerns me. It was filled to the rim.

No offense but you must be blind. Take a look around the perimeter of the court. There are dozens and dozens of bottles thrown all over the place. The area under the bleachers is full of trash.

That's an understatement. There were bottles scattered all over the grassy areas around the court. The court is a blight. Also, there is NO connection between "Martino" and the people who litter. It's like asking me to talk to speeders on our city streets. Ain't gonna happen. Just organize a clean-up crew. Anything else is like p*ssing in the wind. On a good note, the garbage cans in the other areas of the park were heavily used and the dog-run is spotless.

Posted on: 2010/5/29 15:16

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/1/29 17:28
Group:
Registered Users
There was some trash under the bleachers, and some of it made it into the blue recycle bin.

Resized Image

Resized Image

We'll put this on the agenda of the next HPNA meeting on June 2, 2010. More details on that later.

Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
Quote:

Amy wrote:
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
The absolutely horrible idea of leaving the BB court in the park was paying dividends tonight. The court is completely trashed. I almost cried when I saw it tonight. Truly disheartening. Meanwhile, the dog-runs are spotless.

I was just walking near the park. I didn't get too close to the courts, but from what I could see they weren't "completely trashed." There was maybe one plastic bag floating around.

The trash bin on the way out of the park on 9th concerns me. It was filled to the rim.

No offense but you must be blind. Take a look around the perimeter of the court. There are dozens and dozens of bottles thrown all over the place. The area under the bleachers is full of trash.

Posted on: 2010/5/29 14:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/18 14:36
Group:
Registered Users
I think Pat Delaney is the guy in charge of the Basketball League. He may be a good contact to help align the basketball people with the neighbors to keep the park cleaner as well as helping to enforce the rules around the park hours.

This morning I saw a guy (I think his name is Martino), playing basketball who was very vocal about his opposition to the basketball court. So I have to believe he sees value in the courts being there, which I think is good. Maybe someone like him who is using the courts could be best positioned to get the other players involved in keeping them clean.

Posted on: 2010/5/29 13:25

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/2/8 20:49
Group:
Registered Users
It would've been nice for the throng of kids who were playing in the volleyball court to pick up their trash as well. We went in this morning to clean up some of their mess, but it's appalling that the 2nd day of the park being opened and some kids still have no respect for their parks/surroundings.

Last night I mentioned to them, "please don't forget to pick up your trash...ENJOY as well!" and all I got were snickers from the crowd. Although the basketball court has been an area on contention, we, as a community, need to try and instill some respect from the area kids. It may be a lost cause, but at least we can try.

Posted on: 2010/5/29 13:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/7/16 11:48
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Sutherland wrote:
While it's absolutely no surprise that teenage boys are slobs, if the HPNA organizes a clean up for the basketball court area it may be a good idea to insist that the basketball league participate in that project with the HPNA. This may help build that bridge between the local community which in fact started and supports that league while giving those kids a sense of ownership and involvement in the park.

I think that's a great idea. No, I didn't see the mess, but I wasn't right in front of the court. I'm just thrilled that people are getting enjoyment out of the park, including the basketball players. And if they're asked to get involved in cleaning up, maybe they'll have more respect for the park.

Posted on: 2010/5/29 12:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/18 14:36
Group:
Registered Users
While it's absolutely no surprise that teenage boys are slobs, if the HPNA organizes a clean up for the basketball court area it may be a good idea to insist that the basketball league participate in that project with the HPNA. This may help build that bridge between the local community which in fact started and supports that league while giving those kids a sense of ownership and involvement in the park.

This morning I had to pick up someone else's dog's crap from in front of my house. Quote:

tern wrote:
I walked by the park Friday morning and the area by the basketball courts was filthy. It suprised and appalled me that so much rubbish could accumulate so quickly.

I'll be organising an HPNA cleanup patrol shortly, stay tuned for meetup dates and times.

Robin.

Posted on: 2010/5/29 11:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/18 1:45
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Have to agree with Vigilante, I walked by the park Friday morning and the area by the basketball courts was filthy. It suprised and appalled me that so much rubbish could accumulate so quickly.

I'll be organising an HPNA cleanup patrol shortly, stay tuned for meetup dates and times.

Robin.

Posted on: 2010/5/29 5:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Amy wrote:
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:

Posted on: 2010/5/29 3:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/7/16 11:48
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:

Posted on: 2010/5/29 3:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/7/18 2:23
From Not in JC anymore
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Zsazsa wrote:
Activism Request!

Hamilton Park has opened and so has the new playground! While it's a wonderful space, unfortunately it has no gates on the two entrances to keep it a securely enclosed environment. (The two dog runs of course have gates!)

I spoke with two planners yesterday at the opening about the need for gates, as did the heads of several preschools who will be using the space regularly. I can't say they were particularly responsive, but a call to the Jersey Journal reporter at the opening told me that the city is going to look into gates.

If you would take a moment to call or email the director of the Dept of Public Works and reiterate the need for gates, it would be greatly appreciated. His name is Rodney Hadley, rodney@jcnj.org, 201 547 4400.

Also needed are some lines painted around the swings to visually indicate where it's safe to walk by them. Today I saw two children get kicked in their heads for getting too close.

Please spread the word!

It does not need gates.

It does not need painted lines.

Posted on: 2010/5/29 3:07
- Never argue with an idiot. They bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned

Posted on: 2010/5/29 2:51

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/1/7 0:40
Group:
Registered Users
Activism Request!

Hamilton Park has opened and so has the new playground! While it's a wonderful space, unfortunately it has no gates on the two entrances to keep it a securely enclosed environment. (The two dog runs of course have gates!)

I spoke with two planners yesterday at the opening about the need for gates, as did the heads of several preschools who will be using the space regularly. I can't say they were particularly responsive, but a call to the Jersey Journal reporter at the opening told me that the city is going to look into gates.

If you would take a moment to call or email the director of the Dept of Public Works and reiterate the need for gates, it would be greatly appreciated. His name is Rodney Hadley, rodney@jcnj.org, 201 547 4400.

Also needed are some lines painted around the swings to visually indicate where it's safe to walk by them. Today I saw two children get kicked in their heads for getting too close.

Please spread the word!

Posted on: 2010/5/28 17:09

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/3/15 16:44
Group:
Registered Users
The new park is GREAT! Whatever that soft rubbery asphalt surface is in the playground area, I want that in my house.

Does anyone know if the waterpark stuff is going to be turned on this weekend? I can foresee myself running through there when the mercury hits 90.

Posted on: 2010/5/28 16:06
"I try so hard to be myself but I just wind up gettin' drunk." - Jerry Wick

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
The signs in the park, including the signs which will designate the pet free lawns, will be in place early next week. The delay was due in part to the furlough days. The missing signs are still in the shop being fabricated.

Posted on: 2010/5/28 14:48

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/1/30 18:02
Group:
Registered Users
Fulop wasn't left out-his Aide is there in place of him

Posted on: 2010/5/27 20:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/2/3 3:59
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Plenty of people enjoying the park this afternoon. It looks great.

Posted on: 2010/5/27 20:28
I live by the river.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/10/11 21:09
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ikr wrote:
Shame on the mayor for not including Councilman Fulop in Hamilton Parks reopening ceremony. No class.

I agree, that's shameful. Before I saw your note I scanned the picture below for him. I think it's awful that our own councilman was left out.

Posted on: 2010/5/27 19:01

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/12/2 23:19
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Slacky wrote:
Why is there an invocation by a catholic priest? Why isn't this a secular event?
Especially with young children around.

Quote:

Slacky wrote:
Mayor Healy looking good, lost a few pounds, walking in straight line. Good for him.

Dark humor. But humorous.

Posted on: 2010/5/27 18:57

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/9/18 2:12
From Beautiful Downtown Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
IMG_3914.JPG

Posted on: 2010/5/27 17:46

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Hamilton Park is now open!

Posted on: 2010/5/27 16:37

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/9/2 6:41
Group:
Banned
Why is there an invocation by a catholic priest? Why isn't this a secular event?
Especially with young children around.

Posted on: 2010/5/27 16:24

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/9/2 6:41
Group:
Banned
First person to post from within Hamilton Park.
Mayor Healy looking good, lost a few pounds, walking in straight line. Good for him.

Posted on: 2010/5/27 16:11

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/5/30 14:09
Group:
Registered Users
Shame on the mayor for not including Councilman Fulop in Hamilton Parks reopening ceremony. No class.

Posted on: 2010/5/27 1:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/27 11:11
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

HamSandwich wrote:
Call me cynical, but I suspect that the scheduling of the park opening ceremony in the middle of a weekday has everything to do with Healy's preference for a low turnout.

He knows that the hardworking downtown folk of HP (as in those of who will be working during that time of day) see right through him and his corrupt cronies.

I hope that those of you who do go will call him out on his shenanigans, and loudly boo this shameless leader of a council of crooks (minus Steve, of course).

100% Correct!!!

Posted on: 2010/5/26 16:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/21 16:46
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
Call me cynical, but I suspect that the scheduling of the park opening ceremony in the middle of a weekday has everything to do with Healy's preference for a low turnout. He knows that the hardworking downtown folk of HP (as in those of who will be working during that time of day) see right through him and his corrupt cronies. I hope that those of you who do go will call him out on his shenanigans, and loudly boo this shameless leader of a council of crooks (minus Steve, of course).

I wouldn't call you cynical. I would call you correct.

Posted on: 2010/5/26 14:14

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/5/25 1:52
Group:
Registered Users
Call me cynical, but I suspect that the scheduling of the park opening ceremony in the middle of a weekday has everything to do with Healy's preference for a low turnout.

He knows that the hardworking downtown folk of HP (as in those of who will be working during that time of day) see right through him and his corrupt cronies.

I hope that those of you who do go will call him out on his shenanigans, and loudly boo this shameless leader of a council of crooks (minus Steve, of course).

Posted on: 2010/5/26 13:55

« 1 ... 9 10 11 (12) 13 14 15 ... 45 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017