Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
161 user(s) are online (133 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 161

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Pretty Bad Light Rail Accident near GS Building/Paulus Hook (4/30)
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/12/3 0:37
From Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users
FWIW, I lived on Essex St. and used to see light rail conductors disobey signals (both the traffic light and the train signal). The conductor would come to a stop and crane his neck before crossing the intersection, but it was still a bit unnerving. I believe at the time (2006ish - don't know if things have changed since) the management company involved in operating the LR was eligible for some sort of bonus based on the on-time performance of the trains, which explained a lot.

Posted on: 2010/5/3 18:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/2/9 14:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
The budget crisis in JC could be solved easily in a matter of months. If the JCPD would make a more concerted effort to enforce the traffic laws then the money would come rolling in. The amount of horrible and inconsiderate drivers here and elsewhere throughout NJ is staggering. How many times a day do you see someone run a Stop-sign or a Red light? How often do you see drivers failing to yield to pedestrians in crosswalks? I have no sympathy for someone who would play chicken with a TRAIN. They got EXACTLY what they deserved. I hope they are forced to pay for the damage to the Light-rail train.

Agree 1000%...can't believe how many missed opportunities the police have to fine these aggressive drivers.

Posted on: 2010/5/3 17:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
The budget crisis in JC could be solved easily in a matter of months. If the JCPD would make a more concerted effort to enforce the traffic laws then the money would come rolling in. The amount of horrible and inconsiderate drivers here and elsewhere throughout NJ is staggering. How many times a day do you see someone run a Stop-sign or a Red light? How often do you see drivers failing to yield to pedestrians in crosswalks? I have no sympathy for someone who would play chicken with a TRAIN. They got EXACTLY what they deserved. I hope they are forced to pay for the damage to the Light-rail train.

Posted on: 2010/5/3 15:30

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/7/2 13:06
Group:
Registered Users
Totally, totally agree about the horrible drivers! Just two days ago I saw a car stop on the train tracks to get through a red light!!! Traffic was stopped so it was stuck in place. Surprise, surprise, here comes a train! The driver then proceeded to scream at the cars behind it because he couldn't back up. Maybe you shouldn't have tried to squeeze in in the first place!!!

Posted on: 2010/5/3 15:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/9/28 17:36
Group:
Banned
Quote:

JCbiscuit wrote:
a slow-moving train with clearly-defined crossings. if cities designed their infrastructure around the intelligence of our most ignorant neighbors, we'd all be on tricycles.

a red light means stop, people. why is that so hard to grasp?

Exactly. Today, I'm coming down Ravine Road from the heights. (Ravine is one of the "mountain" roads that allows a shortcut from the heights down to Hoboken.)

Anyway, Ravine is a two-way road that ends at a lightrail crossing at the bottom. I'm nearing the crossing, which has a red light because a train is coming, when an a-hole in a white SUV comes barreling up from behind me on the wrong side of the road, passes me and the two cars in front of me, slows down for a second and then speeds through the lightrail crossing which is still a red signal for us.

Train comes through moments later.

The light rail is NOT a problem. The arrogance and sense of entitlement of some of the people who live here, however, is.

Posted on: 2010/5/1 22:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/18 19:17
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

heights wrote:
I knew something like this when they brought the light rail into town. It's a residential area with a train running around. They won't build a foot bridge, or put in bicycle lanes/symbols but they have a huge train circling the area so it will bring on lawsuits.

a slow-moving train with clearly-defined crossings. if cities designed their infrastructure around the intelligence of our most ignorant neighbors, we'd all be on tricycles.

a red light means stop, people. why is that so hard to grasp?

Posted on: 2010/5/1 21:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
I hope someone is hurt, but only if the vehicle ran a red light or failed to stop. Light Rail accidents should never occur unless someone is being impatient and simply stupid.

I knew something like this when they brought the light rail into town. It's a residential area with a train running around. They won't build a foot bridge, or put in bicycle lanes/symbols but they have a huge train circling the area so it will bring on lawsuits.

Posted on: 2010/5/1 21:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/2/18 15:54
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
POST THE DRIVER'S NAME... SHAME SHAME SHAME!!!!

Posted on: 2010/5/1 12:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Car broadsided by light rail train in Downtown Jersey City

By Ron Zeitlinger/The Jersey Journal
April 30, 2010, 6:44PM

A Hudson-Bergen light rail train broadsided a car in Downtown Jersey City during this evening's rush hour after the car's driver ran a red light, NJ Transit officials said.

The car was pushed 20 to 30 feet along the tracks and sustained major damage, two witnesses said.

NJ Transit spokeswoman Courtney Carroll said there were 115 passengers on the train when the accident occurred at 5 p.m. on Hudson Street, between Sussex and Grand streets.

Carroll said one passenger complained of back pain. It could not be determined if the car's driver suffered any injuries, but one witness said it did not appear so.

The accident caused 15- to 20-minute delays and forced NJ Transit to operate on a single track until the car was removed from the tracks. It was not known if the driver was issued a summons.

The accident was the second in as many days between a light rail train and a car in Jersey City.

Yesterday, a driver was also blamed for running a red light, this time along Sixth Street near Washington Boulevard. None of the passengers was injured, officials said, although it was not known whether the car's driver was hut.

Posted on: 2010/5/1 6:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
I hope someone is hurt, but only if the vehicle ran a red light or failed to stop. Light Rail accidents should never occur unless someone is being impatient and simply stupid.

Posted on: 2010/4/30 22:25
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/4/10 4:08
Group:
Registered Users
That's two in the last 48 hours.

I've waited for the light rail to pass on several occasions and a car from behind me swerved and zipped past me and through the red light.

I hope that no one is hurt.

Posted on: 2010/4/30 22:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/8/14 6:40
Group:
Registered Users
That might explain the chopper. Hope to see it on the news.

Posted on: 2010/4/30 21:49

Pretty Bad Light Rail Accident near GS Building/Paulus Hook (4/30)
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/6/3 23:45
Group:
Registered Users
This looks pretty bad - Light rail was stopped in both directions. They may have started it back up, but this was the scene about 15mins ago...

Resized Image

Posted on: 2010/4/30 21:46

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017