Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
105 user(s) are online (85 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 105

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 »

Re: bored with JC restaurants
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/2/18 14:37
From JSQ
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Cat wrote:
Great to hear there so many experts on this post talking about Irish pubs i bet 90% of the people here have never been to ireland.A liquer lience in JC costs $90 to $125 grand so buy one and let's see how you get on.

oh wow, they're that cheap? maybe i will!
You must be a complete idiot if you think normal people have $100k to drop on a liquor license, on top of the additional costs associated with opening a bar.

Posted on: 2010/5/6 19:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/9/29 17:41
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
Well, the Heights has several old school Irish pubs. The Heights used to be very Irish, and still has some Irish living there. I think Paulus Hook was the only part of Downtown that has an Irish history. Paulus Hook would be a great place for a little Irish Pub.

Any suggestions for pubs in the heights? I rarely make it out of DT just because I don't know where to go.

Posted on: 2010/4/30 15:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/2/18 15:54
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
I wish liquor licenses were AVAILABLE in JC. I'd love the idea of a little sub-terranean pub at the Comfort Bistro space on Grove Street. What a wasted space. From what I understand, the existing liquor licenses are the only ones that can exist, is this correct?

That's the same exact place I thought we be a good spot for an Irish Pub.

The city makes it so damn difficult for anyone to open a business. Look what happened to OX, Atomic Wings, the guy from Port-O-Lounge has been trying to finalize his license to serve food for almost 3 years. 3 friggin years is absolutely CRAZY TALK.

This area will never reach it's full potential unless they lighten up on the permit process and actually help small businesses open instead of making next to impossible.

Posted on: 2010/4/30 14:28

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/8/14 18:54
Group:
Registered Users
A bar where people dont typically get drunk?

I dont want this type of establishment anywhere near my home.

Posted on: 2010/4/30 13:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/11/1 17:27
Group:
Registered Users
Anyone not not familiar with what a real Irish pub can learn so here:

http://www.ricksteves.com/plan/destinations/ireland/ire.htm

Cat, great first post. Are you affiliated with a particular JC bar?

Posted on: 2010/4/30 4:38

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/4/30 0:50
Group:
Registered Users
Great to hear there so many experts on this post talking about Irish pubs i bet 90% of the people here have never been to ireland.A liquer lience in JC costs $90 to $125 grand so buy one and let's see how you get on.

Posted on: 2010/4/30 0:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
I wish liquor licenses were AVAILABLE in JC. I'd love the idea of a little sub-terranean pub at the Comfort Bistro space on Grove Street. What a wasted space. From what I understand, the existing liquor licenses are the only ones that can exist, is this correct?

Posted on: 2010/4/29 23:00

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JSQ
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Even the most spartan pub is almost 100% wood inside (the bar, the tables, the chairs, the floors, the ceiling etc.) with walls that are usually wood-paneled (partially, or whole) and ALL pubs serve Guinness (fresh from the barrel, never in a can or bottle) and you are just as likely to see old and young people inside...

the ones in downtown JC are only Irish in name. The vibe is definitely not there. All the fancy food is also a tell-tale sign of a fake Irish pub. Pub food is usually simple, filling grub that is hardly ever fancy, and definitely not expensive. Usually some soups, some sandwiches, etc. Some pubs in Ireland do serve up very nice meals, though.

Right on, you hit the nail on the head.
I wish liquor licenses weren't so crazy expensive in JC, I'd love to have my own real pub!

Posted on: 2010/4/29 22:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
A dive bar is NOT a pub!

As someone else above mentioned, real pubs in Ireland are something akin to a social club or gathering place. In many towns, specially the smaller towns in the interior of the republic, pubs are the places where locals gather to converse, imbibe a pint of Guinness and, on special nights and other occasions, enjoy some music from local bands or singers.

Even the most spartan pub is almost 100% wood inside (the bar, the tables, the chairs, the floors, the ceiling etc.) with walls that are usually wood-paneled (partially, or whole) and ALL pubs serve Guinness (fresh from the barrel, never in a can or bottle) and you are just as likely to see old and young people inside.

I have seen some nice Irish pubs in Philly, and even some of the so-called Irish pubs in NYC are also close to the real thing, but the ones in downtown JC are only Irish in name. The vibe is definitely not there. All the fancy food is also a tell-tale sign of a fake Irish pub. Pub food is usually simple, filling grub that is hardly ever fancy, and definitely not expensive. Usually some soups, some sandwiches, etc. Some pubs in Ireland do serve up very nice meals, though.

Anyway, my opinion of pubs in Ireland is made up from many visits there during the late 90's and early 00's. I doubt things have changed dramatically in the 7 years since my last visit.

Posted on: 2010/4/29 21:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/10/27 13:13
From The fog.
Group:
Registered Users
Meanwhile, in Hoboken, they are trying to create a "100 year old Irish pub":

http://www.nj.com/hobokennow/index.ss ... s_spot_in_hoboken_to.html

Posted on: 2010/4/29 17:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From The fog.
Group:
Registered Users
Speaking of Temple Bar, here's what we should import:

http://www.boxtyhouse.ie/

and/or

http://www.gogartys.ie/pub/

Posted on: 2010/4/29 17:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/9/29 17:41
Group:
Registered Users
IMO O'connell's is not an Irish pub. It's a nice space that happens to have an Irish name.

O'Hara's is close with the dining room and bar set up but there's still something off about it. Maybe because its shiny.

Posted on: 2010/4/29 16:48

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/4/4 15:32
Group:
Registered Users
I do not get the pub feel in any of the bars downtown. I think a traditonal pub would be a huge hit anywhere downtown. I want to be able to walk in and feel like it's been there for a hundred years.

Posted on: 2010/4/29 16:15

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Define Irish pub.

When I think pub I just think of a dive bar. Theres O'connell's on Montgomery, iron monkey or lucky 7s or barrow bar... Whats the difference? Does it have to have to serve hot pastrami and bangers and mash to be a pub?

Posted on: 2010/4/29 15:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Well, the Heights has several old school Irish pubs. The Heights used to be very Irish, and still has some Irish living there. I think Paulus Hook was the only part of Downtown that has an Irish history. Paulus Hook would be a great place for a little Irish Pub.

Posted on: 2010/4/29 15:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

FDS_JC wrote:
Glad to know I'm no the only one. It is very strange that JC has no good old school Irish pub. Not that I'm a big fan of Hoboken, but they have more than enough there, and have for a long time. We're next door, and there's been plenty of Irish in JC's history, you'd think there'd be a few around.

Someone correct me, but from my understanding the area that was predominately Irish was the Old Horseshoe district, and the residents were kicked out for the Holland Tunnel construction.

Back to restaurants, I tried the place next to Basic, (the name escapes me), this week and thought it was very good. Nice addition for the residents. Just got pickup but the place didn't seem too crowded. If the owner got the high rent he was holding out for this place might not last too long. I hope I'm wrong.

Posted on: 2010/4/29 14:14

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JSQ
Group:
Registered Users
Glad to know I'm no the only one. It is very strange that JC has no good old school Irish pub. Not that I'm a big fan of Hoboken, but they have more than enough there, and have for a long time. We're next door, and there's been plenty of Irish in JC's history, you'd think there'd be a few around.

Posted on: 2010/4/29 13:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

DanL wrote:
better than rumor has it that Kansas slow cooked bar-b-que is coming ... lets hope they pull it off.

You mean where Sandbar currently is?

Posted on: 2010/4/28 14:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/7/30 1:08
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
better than rumor has it that Kansas slow cooked bar-b-que is coming ... lets hope they pull it off.

Posted on: 2010/4/28 3:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Not for nothing, but I would hardly consider the White Star a "traditional pub". If anything, it is a neighborhood bar, and more like a dive bar. Definitely nice to spend some time there to have some beers, but not the place I would go to if I was looking for a pub. As someone else said, the so-called Irish pubs in town are fairly blah as well.

As for Baja being a good Mexican place, you have got to be kidding. Baja is hardly traditional mexican, let alone southwestern style. That's more like so-cal mex, with some southwest thrown in. Either way, it is not good, traditional mexican. And to top it off, their "margaritas" come from a mix!! Ask the waitress to show you what mix they use and she will gladly oblige, which is pretty sad. If you are looking for truly good Mexican that is authentic and delicious, go across the Hudson to a place called La Palapa, on St. Marks Place. It will set you back quite a bit, but the food and drinks are SO worth it. If you are looking for the absolutely best Mexican on this side of the Hudson, trek down to Bayonne and check out El Aguila Dorada. You will come out stinking like fried food (their ventilation system is crap, or non-existent) but you will be eating truly authentic Mexican fare that is cheap and VERY filling. Two can eat for about 20 bucks, including food, drinks (non-alcoholic) and tip.

My wish list for places in JC includes:
1) a killer BBQ joint (serving Texas style 'cue [the only TRUE cue - smoked])
2) a TRUE Irish pub serving Irish stew, sheperd's pie and mulligatawny
3) a British pub serving fish and chips and bangers and mash.
4) a country music bar (sometimes you have to get your country feeling on)

I know... I will just keep on dreaming.

Posted on: 2010/4/28 0:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

PBW wrote:
Quote:

FDS_JC wrote:
I like White Star alot, but it's hardly a traditional pub, plus its size and menu are limited. Skinners is decent, but grossly overpriced, and quality can be inconsistent. Baja is also overpriced for standard mexican fare, if I'm going to spend a pretty penny on mexican I'll head into the city and go to Rosa Mexicano.
Also adding a bbq joint to my wish list.

PBW: "Comparing JC to Portland doesn't work on all levels. They don't have a much bigger, well know (for restaurants even) city right across a river."

Point well taken, but I know there are others out there who are looking for the same things as me and might prefer to stay in JC than sit on the PATH or in tunnel traffic.

I am one of those people; I was just pointing out we have some obstacles and attitudes to overcome. I truly believe with the right investors we could have a Smith Street vibe in Downtown JC.

I like Whitestar for Wed night cheap eats and for watching sports, but doesn't have the "traditional pub" feel to me. If all the barstools are taken, there's no place that's not awkward to stand. I was excited when Skinners loft was opening but the bar area is too small.
The "Irish" pubs, PJ Ryans and O'Connells are too sterile, Dorians is a pain of a walk thru the mall.
There's no place here that I would stop in for a quick Guinness after work.

A Smith Street vibe would be awesome, and I agree that there is the potential to have something sort of similar to that. The best chance for that would be Newark Ave. The part of Grove Street that actually has storefront is too small to have that "restaurant row" feel. Plus a lot of the Grove retail spaces are not suitable for restaurants. Grove Street needs a good, classic Irish pub, I agree. I kind of wish Hard Grove would either sell, or clean up that place. That is the most depressing looking building ever, and it's the first thing you see when you come off that PATH.

Posted on: 2010/4/27 19:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

FDS_JC wrote:
I like White Star alot, but it's hardly a traditional pub, plus its size and menu are limited. Skinners is decent, but grossly overpriced, and quality can be inconsistent. Baja is also overpriced for standard mexican fare, if I'm going to spend a pretty penny on mexican I'll head into the city and go to Rosa Mexicano.

PBW: "Comparing JC to Portland doesn't work on all levels. They don't have a much bigger, well know (for restaurants even) city right across a river."

Point well taken, but I know there are others out there who are looking for the same things as me and might prefer to stay in JC than sit on the PATH or in tunnel traffic.

I am one of those people; I was just pointing out we have some obstacles and attitudes to overcome. I truly believe with the right investors we could have a Smith Street vibe in Downtown JC.

I like Whitestar for Wed night cheap eats and for watching sports, but doesn't have the "traditional pub" feel to me. If all the barstools are taken, there's no place that's not awkward to stand. I was excited when Skinners loft was opening but the bar area is too small.
The "Irish" pubs, PJ Ryans and O'Connells are too sterile, Dorians is a pain of a walk thru the mall.
There's no place here that I would stop in for a quick Guinness after work.

Posted on: 2010/4/27 15:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From The fog.
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Nori wrote:But I?d much rather live here and be next to the greatest city than live off the grid and be surrounded by 800 hicks for ?good options for food and drinks?

It is interesting that you get upset at people who complain about the clientele at Indio's and Latin Lounge and call them judgmental, but you have no problem playing the same game yourself.

Posted on: 2010/4/27 14:34

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JSQ
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2010/4/27 1:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
There are cozy pubs, and Mexican restaurants here already.

For a traditional pub, White Star should do the trick. Skinner's Loft also has the pub vibe, and very good food.

Baja on Montgomery Street is TexMex/Southwestern. It's not fantastic, but it does the trick, and they have margaritas.

I'm neither overwhelmed or underwhelmed with the choice of restaurants in Downtown JC. I think there are some really good ones. We could always use more, but after 4 years of living here there are still a bunch of restaurants that I have been meaning to try, and have not yet, and I go out to eat quite a bit.

Posted on: 2010/4/26 17:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Comparing JC to Portland doesn't work on all levels. They don't have a much bigger, well know (for restaurants even) city right across a river.

We're more like what Oakland is to San Fran.

Posted on: 2010/4/26 16:58

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JSQ
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Nori wrote:
That is unfortunate you feel that way. And though you are somewhat right, it?s still a developing city and I am hopeful it will one day have as many options as a Portland.

But I?d much rather live here and be next to the greatest city than live off the grid and be surrounded by 800 hicks for ?good options for food and drinks?

Portland is hardly "off the grid", nor completely surrounded by hicks. That being said, obviously I too would rather live in such close proximity to NYC, thats why I'm here.

As for what options I'd like to have here, I would love at least one traditional pub with consistently good hearty food and a cozy atmosphere that is not charging NYC prices. How about a mexican place where we can sit down for dinner and margaritas, without (yet again) paying like we were across the river. There are any number of other options that would be great to have here. The problem with many restaurants in JC is that instead of keeping it simple they get a little too creative at the expense of consistent quality, the only thing that is consistent across many of the downtown restaurants is the fact that you can easily pay the same thing for dinner here that you would in Manhattan or the fancier parts of Brooklyn. And yes, I am aware of the fact that there are a few truly great places around here, and I really appreciate the good food that is available, there are a couple places downtown that I enjoy, and obviously the indian food in JSQ is the best you can get in the NYC area, I just want few more options, and I don\'t think its too much to ask.

Posted on: 2010/4/26 16:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/3/3 2:45
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:
JC is a culinary wasteland compared to this little city, which only has around 80,000 residents. Pathetic.

So, tell us, what kind of food are you looking for?

Posted on: 2010/4/23 21:53

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
That is unfortunate you feel that way. And though you are somewhat right, it?s still a developing city and I am hopeful it will one day have as many options as a Portland.

But I?d much rather live here and be next to the greatest city than live off the grid and be surrounded by 800 hicks for ?good options for food and drinks?

Posted on: 2010/4/23 18:16

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JSQ
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

njxbean wrote:
ahh Portland Maine! definitely my favorite food town in the US! You aren't going to find a better food setup anywhere in the country! I think JC has a very diverse group of restaurants. But, definitely take advantage of your close proximity to NYC where you can find a wide array of restaurants!!!

I'm from Portland, and whenever I go back I realize how much I miss all the good options for food and drink, JC is a culinary wasteland compared to this little city, which only has around 80,000 residents. Pathetic.

Posted on: 2010/4/23 17:57

(1) 2 3 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017