Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
109 user(s) are online (101 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 109

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: bored with JC restaurants

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/12/20 15:29
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Erica wrote:
Quote:

Amy wrote:
You hit the nail on the head. The city is right here, so I guess JC doesn't attract great restaurants. But it would be nice to have some exceptional places right here.

I just can't read statements like this without thinking back to Fort Greene, the Brooklyn neighborhood we lived in before moving to JC.

If a tiny little Brooklyn neighborhood can support an amazing array of restaurants serving an astounding array of food - within a 2 minute walk of our old apartment we had: Ici, Stonehome, Olea, Chez Oskar, Madiba, Pequena, Thomas Beisl, Loulou, and Habana Outpost (just off the top of my head) - why can't Jersey City support the same kind of diversity?

Why does JC have to be nothing but burgers and cheese (both real and metaphorical)?

I lived in Fort Greene 7 years ago, when it was just Madiba and Chez Oscar and Black Iris on DeKalb. By the time I left, only a few years later, it had become a hub for so many great restaurants, bars, coffee shops, retail stores, ect.
Honestly, JC now feels like Fort Greene then - there's so much potential to grow here if the people who live here invest in this community. My only fear is that we will end up being a 'prop' town.....plenty of places to eat and go out, but with no real soul or energy of our own.
Sorry to riff on Hoboken again, but there are so many chain stores there that it's hard to figure out what the place really has to offer - Jersey City doesn't have to be that way! Things like the craft fairs on Grove and farmer's markets in Van Vorst really add to our community, as do places like Marco and Pepe,Taqueria and Soul Flavors (which has GREAT food). These are all places "born and raised" in JC!!!!
Instead of going out in NYC on a weekend night, keep patronizing local places - then there will be more of a market for new places to open. We have to build it!

http://lookoverhere-abeaumont.blogspot.com/

Posted on: 2010/4/22 14:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/7/16 11:48
Group:
Registered Users
Let me just clarify. I probably should have specified _downtown_ JC, and that I was _unimpressed_. As in, when I'm looking for a bite within walking distance, it's tough to come up with something that's better than just decent.

Posted on: 2010/4/19 11:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/3/3 2:45
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
I was very disappointed with It's Greek To Me. I ordered from there a couple off times. SO OVERPRICED!! I stopped ordering after that. I felt their name even mocked me!

Be adventurous! Try The Heights! There are some wonderful Latin restaurants up there. Go to Union City!

You are only bored if you become complacent with your surroundings.

Posted on: 2010/4/19 6:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:
Quote:

fraulein wrote:
Seems like It's Greek to Me is for sale:

http://www.theavantigroup.net/commercial/listing_ag16.html

Makes sense since they are grossly overpriced.

+1

I ate there once, told them it was ridiculously overpriced for a tiny gyro and never went back. I was exposed young to gyros in Astoria: huge tangy piles of meat with lots of thick tzatziki, none of this water thin crap you find everywhere. The best I've found in JC so far is the gyro place over in front of the Lowes, decent meat and veggies but the tzatziki is watered as usual.

I can't believe the thread has gotten this far with no mention of 15 Fox Place. A 3 hour ~$65 prix fix italian meal with more courses than I could count and BYOB in a house divided into dining rooms seating 4 to a dozen or more. A unique JC treasure.

Posted on: 2010/4/19 2:01

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/4/19 1:12
Group:
Registered Users
ahh Portland Maine! definitely my favorite food town in the US! You aren't going to find a better food setup anywhere in the country! I think JC has a very diverse group of restaurants. But, definitely take advantage of your close proximity to NYC where you can find a wide array of restaurants!!!

Posted on: 2010/4/19 1:22

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/5/2 22:01
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks so much Erica. Yes There is absolutely no reason JC cant have fun/eclectic, creative restaurants. Proximity to Manhattan should not be used as a crutch in the excuse of " Oh but NYC is so close". Countless neighborhoods in the boroughs have great little places and in a lot of parts of Brooklyn for instance you dont even need to go into the city for great food. Park Slope, Prospect Heights, Fort Greene, Clinton Hill neighborhoods all come to mind.

Posted on: 2010/4/18 22:00

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/5/2 22:01
Group:
Registered Users
"There's more to JC then Downtown....step out the bubble."
Thank You DragonXJC

It seems to me more often than no that some Downtowners are so Downtown exclusive and dont know much about the rest of JC. There is a lot outside of Downtown, maybe not to the specific tastes of some like chic type of stuff. Get out, explore a little. Im from Sunset Park/Park Slope originally and had no qualms about going to Downtown Brooklyn, Prospect Heights, Fort Greene, etc for a cool restaurant as many brooklyners do.

Posted on: 2010/4/18 21:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
don't worry about being bored, JC is reknown for a huge change-over in businesses.

as one restuarant fails another takes it's place without understanding the demographics and fails too.

Posted on: 2010/4/18 21:41
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/7/16 2:32
Group:
Registered Users
try our communal dinner at made with love! once a month i take 20 reservations and serve a 4 course meal with live jazz for $35.00.share the bread basket n meet new friends while enjoying a full meal made from organic ingredients. may 6 and 13 is our next communal dinner. we are serving chicken for the main course and celebrating cinco de mayo. byob, but of course. call for reservation: 201-451-5199.
love, peace n cookies!

Posted on: 2010/4/18 3:11

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/11/4 14:25
Group:
Registered Users
When you live anywhere for an extended amount of time, and have tried all the local restaurants, it is natural to feel like there is nothing out there. That is why I live in JC. I can hop on the subway and try new stuff in the city, or get in a car and go further out to get some other amazing food, such as Ethiopian or Turkish food!

When I get in a rut like that, I will also try something I never had on the menu. Try new items or new ethnic restaurants, like up in little India.... at the base of the hill there is that super cheap and tasty Egyptian restaurant.

Posted on: 2010/4/14 18:35

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/5/18 19:48
Group:
Registered Users
I've been waiting for Teppen Korean BBQ to open in the 50 Christopher Columbus building for the longest time. I walked by over the weekend and the place looks like it's about ready to open. The bar is stocked. There is a sign in the window looking for servers. Seems like it should finally be open soon. I hope it's good. We can use some new good places to eat in downtown jJC!

Posted on: 2010/4/13 16:03

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/10/16 18:43
Group:
Registered Users
how about the barge inn? they're on 3rd & coles, its the real deal italian food in a real deal place...

Posted on: 2010/4/13 15:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/2/24 18:16
From "Pay for Play"
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:
Quote:

fraulein wrote:

Not surprised, though I did give it 1 yr and out. Hardly ever saw anyone there and prices were indeed grossly overpriced.

There are restaurants open here in JC, downtown, that think they can price meals at more than NYC where I could take you to countless better restaurants that are cheaper than JC and serve excellent, memorable food. When Wall St was still explointing the financial bubble you could get away with this kind of pricing as most had more money than actual common sense, but now with many of that pack of wolves gone those remaining restaurants better change their pricing or they too will be gone by winter.

Posted on: 2010/4/13 4:36
Resized Image
Help US Sue Spectra! Join OR Donate!

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

fraulein wrote:

Posted on: 2010/4/13 3:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/4/29 16:55
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ThirdGrove wrote:

You got to look at the positives.

Restaurant List Below:
It's Greek to Me
Made with Love
Stockinette
La Rustique
Wonder Bagel
The Brownstone Diner
Taquieria
Bubby's Burritos
Esperantos
Nha Trang Place
Second Street Bakery
Lamp Post Bar and Grill
La Congita
Buon Appetito
Sawadee
JC Sakura
Sava
Hard Grove
Wild Fusion
Ibby Falafel
Shadman
Marco + PePe
The Beachwood
More

Don't Forget some of the best, these are great and very different so you don't get bored! Let the eating begin!

The Embankment
Fire and Oak (at the Westin)
Light Horse Tavern
City Vino
Skinners
Baja
Komegashi
South City Grill
Michael Anthony's

Posted on: 2010/4/13 3:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/10/27 13:13
From The fog.
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

DragonXJC wrote:
There's more to JC then Downtown....

Yeah, but not much.

Posted on: 2010/4/13 2:03

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/12/16 23:23
From Greenville
Group:
Registered Users
There's more to JC then Downtown....step out the bubble.

Posted on: 2010/4/13 1:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/3/14 17:57
From McGinley Square
Group:
Registered Users
To say nothing of the Uptown JC choices, like the Indian smorgasbord (like that ethnic clash-chat?) on Newark Ave. west of Kennedy Boulevard, or the burgeoning restaurant row on Tonnele Ave. between Newark Ave and Broadway - Egyptian fish restaurant (Suez Canal), Ecuadorian fish and Moroccan everything, including sweets. They're all really good.

OK, so it's 2 miles from Grove PATH. There are lots of good places to eat downtown, but if you're really bored, there are a zillion restaurants and other places of interest all over Jersey City, which is HUGE, folks!

www.UptownCrew.net

Posted on: 2010/4/11 19:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/15 11:50
From Village/HP
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2010/4/11 1:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/11/16 18:32
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

FSJR9 wrote:
I find myself going to the same restaurants. There are not a ton on choices and I don't exactly understand why. I think they're are enough people around to support more restaurants/bars. Maybe the exodus of people to Manhattan during the day limits lunchtime business?

I often wonder why Grove Street isn't more like Park Slope.

Ugh. The restaurants in Park Slope suck. The ethnic cuisine here is far better here then it is at PS. I would hate it if JC was like Park Slope.

Posted on: 2010/4/10 14:19

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/12/8 18:51
From Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
I find myself going to the same restaurants. There are not a ton on choices and I don't exactly understand why. I think they're are enough people around to support more restaurants/bars. Maybe the exodus of people to Manhattan during the day limits lunchtime business?

I just don't agree with the assessment. I thought of about 20 off the top of my head. I listed to help out if you need some diverse choice of places I've been to and have liked. It's not worth it to compare Jersey City to Manhattan. We have 14,000 people per mile, they have 66,000 per mile. They're just going to have more EVERYTHING.

IMHO, I think we compete nicely against any neighborhood in Brooklyn and Queens with regard to amenities. We're less cosmopolitan, but also less institutional than downtown Brooklyn. We're more cosmopolitan than Long Island City. When you live in downtown JC, you're at the center of a city. You don't get that benefit in New York unless you live downtown. Those benefits include (this blog, the focus of the JCI, Jersey Journal, and every politician (when's the last time you heard of a successful project outside of downtown)).

You got to look at the positives.

Restaurant List Below:
It's Greek to Me
Made with Love
Stockinette
La Rustique
Wonder Bagel
The Brownstone Diner
Taquieria
Bubby's Burritos
Esperantos
Nha Trang Place
Second Street Bakery
Lamp Post Bar and Grill
La Congita
Buon Appetito
Sawadee
JC Sakura
Sava
Hard Grove
Wild Fusion
Ibby Falafel
Shadman
Marco + PePe
The Beachwood
More

Posted on: 2010/4/10 13:46

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/10/29 11:11
Group:
Registered Users

I often wonder why Grove Street isn't more like Park Slope.

Posted on: 2010/4/10 13:27

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/10/11 13:35
Group:
Registered Users
Abbondanza Trattoria, 257 - 259 Grand Street. Great Italian family style restaurant. Brick oven pizza and plenty of free parking. BYOB Hopefully opening early summer. Same owners as Milano's Deli at 41 Montgomery St.

Posted on: 2010/4/1 23:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/8/16 15:40
From Village
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

snowflake20 wrote:
Quote:

Erica wrote:

Why does JC have to be nothing but burgers and cheese (both real and metaphorical)?

When I lived in Cobble Hill (we moved literally a year before it exploded) there was nothing but Joya, some crappy Asian Fusion Place, and one shmancy restaurant whose name escapes me. I would say that the selection here is better, at least you can get a decent bagel at Wonder Bagels. I know CH is much more different now than it was when we lived there.

That said, JC has awesome Indian, pretty good sushi and Japanese noodles at Honshu, Italian (Presto's) Vietnamese, Mexican (well, Taqueria, as Charritos in the Heights sadly closed), not to mention the grease trucks (Krave..yum). I would love a Korean BBQ place and a REALLY authentic Chinese restaurant, but I'm not holding my breath.

Hoboken isn't too far away and there's more to find there.

I'm not sure how you can say that JC only has burgers. There's plenty of different kinds of foods here. Not all of it is the best, but the selection is still lots better than your average burb in NJ. Except for the Chinese food. The chinese restaurants in Central Jersey are far more superior than the slop they serve here.

Sorry, I should been clearer that I wasn't just talking about the food itself but also about the experience of eating there. That's what I meant by "metaphorical cheese." (And I grew up in Jersey, so mean no disrespect. ;) )

I don't mean that every place has to be "fancy" but wish more restaurants had a little bit of style... And I agree with you that JC does have pretty good take-out options but I like to cook at home most nights and eat out once or twice a week, so take-out doesn't really do it for me.

Posted on: 2010/4/1 19:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/6/9 22:52
Group:
Registered Users
I live in Paulus Hook. Pretty, quiet, nice, needs more amenities! Ha! Give me a bagel shop, take out Chinese, little coffee shop to sit in with my laptop etc. YES , I know they have these things in the Grove Street area, but they could use them here as well and would be very successful also I think. I'm done venting.....for now.

Posted on: 2010/4/1 18:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

snowflake20 wrote:
Quote:

Erica wrote:
[quote]
Amy wrote:

When I lived in Cobble Hill (we moved literally a year before it exploded) there was nothing but Joya, some crappy Asian Fusion Place, and one shmancy restaurant whose name escapes me. I would say that the selection here is better, at least you can get a decent bagel at Wonder Bagels. I know CH is much more different now than it was when we lived there.

That said, JC has awesome Indian, pretty good sushi and Japanese noodles at Honshu, Italian (Presto's) Vietnamese, Mexican (well, Taqueria, as Charritos in the Heights sadly closed), not to mention the grease trucks (Krave..yum). I would love a Korean BBQ place and a REALLY authentic Chinese restaurant, but I'm not holding my breath.

I'm not sure how you can say that JC only has burgers. There's plenty of different kinds of foods here. Not all of it is the best, but the selection is still lots better than your average burb in NJ. Except for the Chinese food. The chinese restaurants in Central Jersey are far more superior than the slop they serve here.

Why are only a portion of the Jersey City restaurants reviewed in comparison? The places seem to be concentrated in one section.

Posted on: 2010/4/1 18:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/11/16 18:32
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Erica wrote:
Quote:

Amy wrote:
You hit the nail on the head. The city is right here, so I guess JC doesn't attract great restaurants. But it would be nice to have some exceptional places right here.

I just can't read statements like this without thinking back to Fort Greene, the Brooklyn neighborhood we lived in before moving to JC.

If a tiny little Brooklyn neighborhood can support an amazing array of restaurants serving an astounding array of food - within a 2 minute walk of our old apartment we had: Ici, Stonehome, Olea, Chez Oskar, Madiba, Pequena, Thomas Beisl, Loulou, and Habana Outpost (just off the top of my head) - why can't Jersey City support the same kind of diversity?

Posted on: 2010/4/1 18:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/11/9 5:56
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
The buck for NYC Italian starts and stops at Il Mulino.

maybe 10/15 years ago that statement means something. These days, Il Mulino does nothing but slide closer to absolute "nastalgia" day by day. Red sauce Italian had it's day, and it's day is done (obviously there will always be a place for it, but that place will never be on the top shelf again).

regarding Portland ME... would kill for a day long session at Jay's then a night long session at Gritty's.

Regarding JC "cuisine"... have to admit I have been feeling uninspired localy of late. and I don't care that there are a million options in manhattan (noting that I work there every day)... it would be nice t see another bump in the scene around here.

Posted on: 2010/4/1 18:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Erica wrote:
Quote:

Amy wrote:

Because all the people with taste have either moved away or passed away. Jersey City used to be a great place years back. But give it time I see an upswing.

Posted on: 2010/4/1 18:27

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/8/14 18:54
Group:
Registered Users
precisely. The stuff that if you eat everyday, will give you a heart attack by your early 50's.

Mmmm mmmm.

Posted on: 2010/4/1 18:15

« 1 (2) 3 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017