Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
145 user(s) are online (120 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 145

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: Running on the Jersey City streets
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/11/27 22:56
Group:
Registered Users
24 hours.

Posted on: 2010/9/7 19:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/15 11:50
From Village/HP
Group:
Registered Users
I want to run on the connector path between Newport and Hoboken near Morton Williams - does anyone know if this is 24-hour access or does it close at night? If so, what are the hours? Thanks!

Posted on: 2010/9/7 19:16

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/10/25 16:31
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks for steering me to mapmyrun.com. I've had a very hard time figuring out mileage.
19 miles?
I have rarely run the whole route. I usually break it up into variations. I do Newark Ave through Jersey Ave to Liberty State Park through Port Liberte & back up through Jersey City waterfront on home to the Heights or I run from the Heights to Jersey City waterfront up through Hoboken's waterfront. I also love to run Hoboken up through Weehawken, Edgewater on the waterfront and back up the cliff...

When I first moved to J.C. I tried to run through LSP to Bayonne to catch the lightrail back, but couldn't find the station! Turned out I was very close...I agree, I never wear an ipod. And always stay alert. I've run & biked through many of the streets in Jersey City. It sure is an adventure ;)

Posted on: 2010/4/16 20:11

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/3 14:39
Group:
Registered Users
i've lived in jc for 15+ yrs and have logged most of my marathon training miles right here in hudson county. i agree w/the responders, e.g., run w/o the ipod, avoid kennedy blvd, run during the daylight. i write on running in jc and often suggest routes or location-specific workouts. check them out for ideas: examiner.com

Posted on: 2010/4/16 15:09

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/12/16 23:23
From Greenville
Group:
Registered Users
If you're scared...........run faster

Posted on: 2010/4/16 13:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/11/4 21:55
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
This run is really interesting indeed. On mapmyrun.com (good for gps geeks) it is roughly 12.5 miles without LSP (3.5 miles) and without Port Liverty (3 miles). With both it seems around 19 miles, very good New2JCHeights.

I am trying to return to long distance after knee injury and it's hard, 7 miles from Hamilton Park to LSP and back, it is all I can stand at this point and it is all flat. A friend of mine who trains for the iron man told me a great route is to go all the way to Bayonne and return via the light rail if needed.

Posted on: 2010/4/16 1:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/8/16 15:40
From Village
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

missmags wrote:
New2JCHeights... Do you know how many miles that is? That sounds like a nice run.

That does sound like it's a nice run. It looks like about 10-11 miles, depending on what you do in Liberty State Park.

I don't know if you know about gmaps pedometer, but I find it useful for figuring out distances: http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/

Posted on: 2010/4/15 22:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/8/21 15:22
Group:
Registered Users
New2JCHeights... Do you know how many miles that is? That sounds like a nice run.

Posted on: 2010/4/15 16:53

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/10/25 16:31
Group:
Registered Users
I often take this run:
Head down Newark Ave
turn right on Jersey ave.
Cross Jersey City Medical Center, take the foot path entrance to Liberty State Park
head east to the parks' water front--run south, all the way to Port Liberte, if you like, and back
head out of the park
run east past Zeppelin Beer Hall til' you can get back on the water front
run the waterfront, north, through Newport
take the connecting bridge to Hoboken
run through Hoboken's waterfront around the TEA Building
head south again
head west on ninth street
all the way to the ELEVATOR up to Congress Street
then run south on Ogden Ave, and west on Cuneo, south on Palisade and, finally, west on Newark...
If you want a shorter run, skip Liberty State Park.

I always dread the "up hill". When I feel I've fulfilled my challenge for the day, I skip it by incorporating the elevator to Congress Street (if you jog in place on the ride up, it isn't exactly cheating).

Posted on: 2010/4/15 14:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I did a 9 miler this morning.

Start JSQ (Start White Castle)
Down Hopkins to Palisade Avenue
Palisade to 14th Street
14th Street to Hoboken waterfront
To Newport waterfront
To Grand Street
To Marin Blvd
To Newark Ave
To JFK and then a couple quick circles to complete my 9 miles.

Watching the sunrise over the NYC skyline was awesome!

Posted on: 2010/4/15 13:16

Re: 9 - 12 mile run in Jersey City - Looking for nice route to run
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Do the Heights loop, which consist of the Western Slope and Pershing Field Park. 3 times around the park is a mile.

Posted on: 2010/4/14 2:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/9/5 2:01
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Solid 10 mile run - i have done this one a number of times.

I start at 6th street on the waterfront - run down to the Goldman building, turn around and follow the waterfront up through Hoboken to Sinatra & Shipyard (north Hoboken) - then come back to 6th.

Mind you it is all flat, but an excellent training run.

Posted on: 2010/4/13 21:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I start at St Pauls and Kennedy (Near white castle). I would love a flatter route. Hills are my enemy.

Posted on: 2010/4/13 20:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/12/18 14:09
Group:
Registered Users
Alternatively you can go down Newark Ave to Jersey Ave if you want to avoid the sketchiness near the Montgomery projects.

Quote:

ripple wrote:
If you run from JSQ, down Bergen to Montgomery, down Montgomery to Jersey Ave, Jersey to Liberty State Park, then do the whole LSP loop (i.e., run down to the southernmost point near the statue of liberty and back), and then back to JSQ the same way, I bet that's pretty close to 11 miles. Once you hit the park you don't have to worry so much about car traffic or stoplights, which is nice.

Posted on: 2010/4/13 18:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/25 20:40
From somewhere else
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

missmags wrote:
Hello all. Im training for a half marathon and was wondering if anyone had any good routes that start in journal square that are 9 - 12 miles.

I was thinking of JSQ - HOBO Path and some route back but looking for suggestions.

Thanks

About where do you start? I have a good ten and twelve that works in the hills up through Union City and comes back through Hoboken and then down the waterfront. If you want flat, I also have an eleven down to Port Liberte and back.

Posted on: 2010/4/13 18:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/12/18 14:09
Group:
Registered Users
If you run from JSQ, down Bergen to Montgomery, down Montgomery to Jersey Ave, Jersey to Liberty State Park, then do the whole LSP loop (i.e., run down to the southernmost point near the statue of liberty and back), and then back to JSQ the same way, I bet that's pretty close to 11 miles. Once you hit the park you don't have to worry so much about car traffic or stoplights, which is nice.

Posted on: 2010/4/13 18:38

9 - 12 mile run in Jersey City - Looking for nice route to run
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Hello all. Im training for a half marathon and was wondering if anyone had any good routes that start in journal square that are 9 - 12 miles.

I was thinking of JSQ - HOBO Path and some route back but looking for suggestions.

Thanks

Posted on: 2010/4/13 18:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/4/30 16:20
Group:
Banned
Quote:
i think most drivers here do not know what a crosswalk is and that pedestrians have right of way.

And that pedestrian right of way applies whether there is a stop sign or not, whether the light is red, greed, amber, or PUCE and whether a sign is blinking WALK or DON'T WALK and whether the driver is turning left, right, or going straight through.
It is a universal overriding NJ road law that a pedestian ALWAYS has the right of way in a crosswalk...as in ALWAYS!

Those making a right turn on red must come to a FULL STOP and then are ALLOWED to proceed ONLY IF there are no pedestrians in the intersection whether there is a marked crosswalk or not.

Everyone who got a driver's licence in NJ was required to learn these fact but perhaps the police were given an exemption because few seem to know or care.

Posted on: 2009/11/1 11:09

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/10/19 23:22
Group:
Registered Users
there's lots of good running through jc streets to and from the parks--that's one reason we moved here from brooklyn almost a decade ago. chris_nj is right on with his post--lincoln park is great. i have also run down communipaw to liberty state to make for a longer run and then out past the new golf course to port liberte. i am a woman runner and am comfortable in cities running alone--have done it for 20+ years with no incident. of course, no ipod (or at least turn down the volume so you can hear everything) and never at dusk/dark alone.

before we moved here we also got tips from many old-school marathoners who had run from hoboken through jc on the streets--now you can do that all on the new waterfront path and then wind your way to liberty state park. as far as running cities go, jc is pretty good.

the main problem for runners, cyclists, and pedestrians is the region's driving culture--which basically means no regard for the law, safety, or basic civility. i wish the police would step up efforts to aggressively ticket all the right-hand turners who don't stop at lights, as well as those who take left turns when the light first turns. simply ticketing those who run lights would be a good start. i saw a man deliberately hit a pedestrian in a crosswalk n the other day--as if crossing the street in a marked intersection were an offense to him. i think most drivers here do not know what a crosswalk is and that pedestrians have right of way.

Posted on: 2009/11/1 1:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/10/30 19:53
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
No offense, but you guys are easily spooked. 2nd Street behind ShopRite? It's mostly just loading docks. Then it's the waterfront. What time are you running? 3 AM? Because between 1 am and 6 am is probably the only time I can imagine anybody being nervous there.

In my original message, I stated that I am a female and I run in the morning and that I found those streets 'creepy' before 7AM. And that after "7AM-ish", I felt more comfortable.

On 2nd street, there's an empty building with a 3x3 hole in the first floor that I've seen people crawl out of. I've seen people sleeping on the loading platforms of the storage place.

I hope I've justified myself to you.

Posted on: 2009/10/28 21:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I want to comment about the person who said the streets are not meant for sport activities. It sounds like you are saying that sidewalks are not made for people. It's not like I am trying to have a football game on the sidewalk outside White Castle. That would be insane but a simple thing as running from one place to the other just doesn't seem like a crazy thing to do.

Anyway I will continue to run on these Jersey City Streets and will just be mindful of my surroundings and know what to expect. I don't feel unsafe I was just venting about my experience that day.

Posted on: 2009/10/28 20:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/8/28 13:19
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
I really mean no offense by this but if you are spooked running or walking around the areas you mentioned, maybe the suburbs would be a better fit?

No offense taken. I already know that the suburbs are a better fit for me, but because of the hours I work, I've made a choice to forgo the comforts of the suburbs in exchange for a tolerable commute. One reason I live in JC instead of in Manhattan is because it has allowed me to retain some of the comforts of the suburbs (in-unit washer/dryer, car, (relatively) spacious apartment) while staying close to work.

Posted on: 2009/10/28 19:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
No offense, but you guys are easily spooked. 2nd Street behind ShopRite? It's mostly just loading docks. Then it's the waterfront. What time are you running? 3 AM? Because between 1 am and 6 am is probably the only time I can imagine anybody being nervous there.

Downtown Jersey City, outside of the Manhattan, is pretty much as safe as a true urban area can get. I really mean no offense by this but if you are spooked running or walking around the areas you mentioned, maybe the suburbs would be a better fit?

What's funny/interesting to me is that the Downtown area of JC is about on par with Hoboken, crime/safety-wise. But I bet most of you would feel safer running in Hoboken after dark ...

Posted on: 2009/10/28 19:43

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/6/16 13:05
Group:
Registered Users
I hear ya sister! I was running once down Communipaw and some guy comes up along side me in his car blasting Chamillionaire or some such crap, and I'm pretty sure he was actually touching himself while he was driving along side me!

F*&$*! JC perverts!!

Posted on: 2009/10/28 18:58

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/6/3 22:10
From The Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

missmags wrote:
I ran last night on Kennedy blvd and there are some interesting characters out there. All in one evening I had a homeless person ask me for money while I was running, had a group of teenagers try and run with me as a joke, got strange stares from people on the street confused why I would run in a tank and shorts and men whistling at me as I go by.

Can't a girl just run on the streets of Jersey City listen to her Ipod and focus on running faster and stronger.

Anyone have any good routes they run where they can run in peace?

I work for the Jersey City Municipal Utilities Authority (roads division), and I really have to recommend that you not use street/sidewalk facilities for athletic exercises; they're just not designed to support full-fledged sporting events like you're describing. As a driver myself, the presence of joggers, pedestrians, and baby strollers make me feel anywhere from nervous to angry when I try to make my way through the Journal Square area; I'm sure other drivers feel the same way

It's really a safety issue - remember, our engineers need to design our roads to support motor vehicle traffic first and foremost. Any accommodations they need to make for pedestrian sports are arguably compromising the integrity of the road system.

I've been using Brickhaus Gym in downtown for their treadmills, and I have to say, it's a much more pleasant experience than trying to compete with car traffic; plus you have the peace of mind that you're doing the city a favor.

Posted on: 2009/10/28 18:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I will also add that although I feel perfectly safe running in JC during the daytime so long as I stay within a few blocks of the waterfront, I've given up the ipod for now. It's one thing to block out your surroundings when you're running in a suburban neighborhood with no traffic and no shady characters, but I feel like in JC I should be aware of what's going on around me.

Posted on: 2009/10/28 18:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
I was thinking of 2nd Street, behind the ShopRite

Agreed.

I live right near there, and while I think that part of 2nd St is fine during the day (there are enough people going back and forth between ShopRite and the Mandalay, Portofino, and A Condos), I definitely wouldn't wander around back there at night.

Posted on: 2009/10/28 18:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/10/30 19:53
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
Quote:

gordonh wrote:
I have been running the waterfront for 8+ years (i'm female). I only run in the mornings. It can get creepy on the streets to/from the waterfront. If I'm running before 7AM, I don't like to use the iPod and I sometimes carry pepper spray, but after 7AM-ish, there's enough activity to make me feel safer. But I haven't had any real incidents. And radryan03 makes a good point: don't run the same pattern.

The sunrise over the city is beautiful.

I try to save the treadmill for bad weather days.

Where are the creepy streets to/from the waterfront?

Man, some of you people are pretty faint of heart if you think the Downtown streets are creepy.

Yes, maybe we're not all tough as you.

I was thinking of 2nd Street, behind the ShopRite

Posted on: 2009/10/28 18:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

gordonh wrote:
I have been running the waterfront for 8+ years (i'm female). I only run in the mornings. It can get creepy on the streets to/from the waterfront. If I'm running before 7AM, I don't like to use the iPod and I sometimes carry pepper spray, but after 7AM-ish, there's enough activity to make me feel safer. But I haven't had any real incidents. And radryan03 makes a good point: don't run the same pattern.

The sunrise over the city is beautiful.

I try to save the treadmill for bad weather days.

Where are the creepy streets to/from the waterfront?

Man, some of you people are pretty faint of heart if you think the Downtown streets are creepy.

Posted on: 2009/10/27 21:33

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/3/27 20:21
Group:
Registered Users
I just came across this website and this topic caught my attention. Being that I ran track/cross country at St. Peter\'s College (\'-96-99) and sporadically since and have logged thousands of miles through all neighborhoods I figured I would respond.

It was always a challenge back in college to do good quality paced distance runs due to the herky jerky nature of all the traffic lights, aggressive drivers, large crowds of highschool kids getting out of class, etc. Every single run without exception we would hear \"run Forest, run\" (although the new generation must not have seen the movie as I hear it less frequently these days) and kids would try to jog with us for 1/2 a block or so.

Despite all this we managed to put together decent runs with miraculously no one getting hit by a car and only a few minor shoving matches/fights with groups of people on the street which built team spirit.

To answer your question the most quiet area to run would be inside of the cemetary off of Westside Avenue. I have not measured it but the full perimeter must be close to a mile and there are some gentle hills mixed in. This can be mixed in with laps around Lincoln Park (1.2 miles per lap) and laps on the track. You can also cross over the bridge add miles in Lincoln Park West.

Liberty State Park is also (albeit windy) a good place as I think the perimiter is about 3.7 miles.

I also would not run listening to music (anywhere but especially JC) as all senses have to be 100% aware to ensure a safer experience. Also, when running along JFK it is safer to assume that cars coming out of side streets to make right turns will not stop at redlights and if they do will only be looking in the direction traffic coming towards them and not at someone running from their passenger side.

Posted on: 2009/10/27 21:09

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017