Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
108 user(s) are online (94 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 108

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3)

Re: bored with JC restaurants
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/4/20 14:33
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

homestyle...

Homestyle = Italian American, in other words, saucy, heavy and humongous portions.

Posted on: 2010/4/1 17:10

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/8/14 18:54
Group:
Registered Users
Do NOT underestimate the Chef. Boyardee that is.

Italian food is so basic, if done right. It all depends what kind of italian food you are looking for: fine dining, authentic, homestyle... I personally like the homestyle cookin but havent found a good place in JC yet (but I'm fairly new to the area). There are some good place in hoboken.

Posted on: 2010/4/1 16:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/4/20 14:33
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

clunkified wrote:
The buck for NYC Italian starts and stops at Il Mulino.

Il Mulino is an over-priced tourist trap serving Chef Boyardee. I went there when I still lived in New York with a group of 6 people and the first question the waiter asks is: "So, where are you from?"

You can have a good Italian meal (not Italian-American) at Giorgione on Spring St. They also have an excellent, reasonably priced wine list. Very close to us here in JC.

Posted on: 2010/4/1 16:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/8/16 15:40
From Village
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Amy wrote:
You hit the nail on the head. The city is right here, so I guess JC doesn't attract great restaurants. But it would be nice to have some exceptional places right here.

I just can't read statements like this without thinking back to Fort Greene, the Brooklyn neighborhood we lived in before moving to JC.

If a tiny little Brooklyn neighborhood can support an amazing array of restaurants serving an astounding array of food - within a 2 minute walk of our old apartment we had: Ici, Stonehome, Olea, Chez Oskar, Madiba, Pequena, Thomas Beisl, Loulou, and Habana Outpost (just off the top of my head) - why can't Jersey City support the same kind of diversity?

Why does JC have to be nothing but burgers and cheese (both real and metaphorical)?

Posted on: 2010/4/1 15:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/18 14:36
Group:
Registered Users
I should mention I have not been to the Italian restaurant downtown, which I think is called Presto's ?

I believe it's in the space that replaced Taste of Cin, which catered a party I hosted at my home. Taste of Cin was also pretty good Italian American fare.

Other NYC Italian restaurants I patronize with excessive frequency include Intermezzo and Colas. More recently I've started eating at Zucca on 7th Ave just below Christopher.

I do strongly recommend people try Grano.

Finally, I should mention this past Sunday I made absolutely incredible meatballs and sauce.

Posted on: 2010/4/1 11:28

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/2/7 5:42
Group:
Registered Users
Sutherland, Malatesta is AMAZING Italian food. It is not expensive and is very healthy and fresh. Not like that Italian-American garbage we have here in JC. Laicos is alright, but expensive and far far away from public transport, and forget driving, there is no place to park unless you want to pay for valet :( I dare anyone to tell me a place anywhere as good or as fresh and healthy as Malatesta in Hudson County.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/malatesta-new-york

Lots of little neighborhoods in Queens, Brooklyn, SI, Bronx have GREAT restaurants, and we should too but we don't.

Posted on: 2010/4/1 1:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Heights,

I've been to Casa Dante, Rita & Joes and Laicos. I have nothing bad to say about them and would say they're OK, but IMHO they're just not incredible or even really good. The one thing I don't like about Casa Dante is the lack of windows and is a bit too much of the Italian American restaurant faire. I've been to quite a few trattoria's in NYC which have better sauces than any of the aforementioned in addition to a few more dishes. D'Andrea, which recently moved to 13th St. (near the Quad) from Hudson comes to mind. Another is Coppola's on I think W. 72nd St, then there's Grano on Greenwhich and 10th, Mala Testa on Washington and Christopher. Another in the W. Village the name of which now evades me.

I have enjoyed meals at all of the places dramatically more than the JC Italian places I've been too.

Posted on: 2010/4/1 1:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Sutherland wrote:
I've been to Portland Maine for business once. There were some pretty good Italian restaurants and apparently some good seafood places. But that's because of the location and the in season seafood. We definitely lack a really good Italian restaurant. Embankment had some eclectic options on its menu when I was there last. Unfortunately, I'm a pretty picky eater so that stuff is waisted on me. Frankly, I don't think we have the population or customer base for too many more restaurants around here, especially with NYC so close and a draw.Quote:

What is your definition of really good in the way of an Italian restaurant ? There is certainly no lack of in this department. I'm curious to what degree you were making your comparison. Casa Dante, Rita & Joe's, Just Sonny's, Renato's, and Laico's come to mind. There are a few more out there and the one's that were were just as good if not better.

Posted on: 2010/4/1 0:56

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/8/11 19:06
From Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
we had that. it was called Ox

second that

Posted on: 2010/4/1 0:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I've been to Portland Maine for business once. There were some pretty good Italian restaurants and apparently some good seafood places. But that's because of the location and the in season seafood. We definitely lack a really good Italian restaurant. Embankment had some eclectic options on its menu when I was there last. Unfortunately, I'm a pretty picky eater so that stuff is wasted on me. Frankly, I don't think we have the population or customer base for too many more restaurants around here, especially with NYC so close and a draw.

Quote:

Amy wrote:
I feel like so many JC restaurants serve the same food. Poached salmon, mac and cheese, sliders, filet mignon.... I wish there was something more eclectic out there. I'm not necessarily talking about ethnic food (I love Saigon Cafe and Komegashi), but eclectic, creative food in general. Something where it's like, "I wouldn't have thought to put THOSE foods together" or "I wouldn't have thought to prepare this like that." Maybe it's because I used to live in Portland, Maine, where you can't walk a block without encountering an excellent restaurant with a chef that wants to show off, in a good way. Is it just me? Someone school me and prove me wrong.

Posted on: 2010/4/1 0:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/7/16 11:48
Group:
Registered Users
You hit the nail on the head. The city is right here, so I guess JC doesn't attract great restaurants. But it would be nice to have some exceptional places right here.

Posted on: 2010/4/1 0:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/2/24 18:16
From "Pay for Play"
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Nori wrote:
First off, congrats on getting out of portland, Maine.

Second - I dont know if you got the memo, but new york city is across the river. You should give that area a try.

+1.

Posted on: 2010/3/31 21:43
Resized Image
Help US Sue Spectra! Join OR Donate!

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/8/14 18:54
Group:
Registered Users
First off, congrats on getting out of portland, Maine.

Second - I dont know if you got the memo, but new york city is across the river. You should give that area a try.

Posted on: 2010/3/31 21:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/22 6:01
Group:
Registered Users
we had that. it was called Ox.

Posted on: 2010/3/31 21:22

bored with JC restaurants
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/7/16 11:48
Group:
Registered Users
I feel like so many JC restaurants serve the same food. Poached salmon, mac and cheese, sliders, filet mignon.... I wish there was something more eclectic out there. I'm not necessarily talking about ethnic food (I love Saigon Cafe and Komegashi), but eclectic, creative food in general. Something where it's like, "I wouldn't have thought to put THOSE foods together" or "I wouldn't have thought to prepare this like that." Maybe it's because I used to live in Portland, Maine, where you can't walk a block without encountering an excellent restaurant with a chef that wants to show off, in a good way. Is it just me? Someone school me and prove me wrong.

Posted on: 2010/3/31 21:12

« 1 2 (3)

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017