Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
133 user(s) are online (116 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 133

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Broken car windows all over
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

moxiebaby wrote:
Icechute,
I totally agree with you.... No doubt someone's been watching him as he parks + exits the car.

So no, as of now, the gps is not being kept in the car. And, the car is no longer being parked on the street.

I don't think these guys are that sophisticated. They basically treat cars like oysters, break it open and see if there is a "pearl" inside. The round, suction cup residue on the windshield is usually a good tip-off for them. If you read all the posts about "I had nothing in the car but they still smashed the window" you'll see what I mean.

Posted on: 2010/3/27 15:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

nikyrob wrote:
Quote:

DouglasReynholm wrote:
You live in this city, buy a map and save your money and your car from being smashed up.

Actually, we'll be buying another GPS, but thanks. I forgot about maps.

Just got a Droid phone and it has GPS. Pretty sure many other phones have it now too. I don't have much use for it but it's an option.

Posted on: 2010/3/27 15:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/11/6 23:12
Group:
Registered Users
Icechute,
I totally agree with you.... No doubt someone's been watching him as he parks + exits the car.

So no, as of now, the gps is not being kept in the car. And, the car is no longer being parked on the street.

Posted on: 2010/3/27 15:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/9/28 17:36
Group:
Banned
Quote:
moxiebaby wrote:

My fiance's car was broken into 2x in a 4 month period in HP. Both times GPS was stolen though it was not visible.

Was the GPS out when the car was parked and the last thing he/she did before leaving the car was stuff it in the glovebox or where ever it was that it was "not visible"?

Some of the a-holes who are stealing these things are hanging out during the evening rush hour when people get home and just observe what is being removed or stored in a car. If they see something being 'hidden' in the car they want, they just come back later that night.

Posted on: 2010/3/27 14:03

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/9/30 16:26
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

moxiebaby wrote:
My fiance's car was broken into 2x in a 4 month period in HP. Both times GPS was stolen though it was not visible.

So does he/she still keep the gps in the car then?

Posted on: 2010/3/27 13:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/8 17:09
Group:
Registered Users
I have noticed a ton of broken car window glass around downtown. It seems the perps have no fear of being caught, even though the police did recently get 1 guy. There have been big waves of car break ins for the last 3-4 months around downtown. If the perps thought there was a police presence they'd focus elsewhere. It seems to me they figure the odds of beat cops around downtown at night are minimal.

Does anyone else find this amazing? Has their been an increase in car break ins in other parts of JC, Heights other? I have no idea, but it's really depressing to walk around and see so much broken glass. They don't even clean it up, it just gets spread around...

Posted on: 2010/3/27 13:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/11/6 23:12
Group:
Registered Users
My fiance's car was broken into 2x in a 4 month period in HP. Both times GPS was stolen though it was not visible. Second time the radio was stolen and for sh*ts and giggles they tore up the dashboard.

I have to say, HP has overall not been kind to us in several regards and I look forward to leaving it when our lease is up.

Posted on: 2010/3/26 15:39

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/3/19 13:54
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

DouglasReynholm wrote:
use the GPS only if you are going out of the tri-state area, keep it at home. I have a NYC and NJ map in the car, a really nice one, pages, booklet style...cost less than 10 bucks, it's laying right there on the seat..and guess what, no broken windows. and another tip, don't even keep a dime visible. any loose change, hey some idiot might just smash your window for it. no valuables, nothing. no sunglasses, nothing.

Yeah, I agree with you about not leaving loose change, umbrellas, etc. Nothing was visible in the car. Someone was probably inspecting cars for holders/suction cup rings. I got lazy with wiping them off, though they were so light they were barely visible. Ah well it happens.

Posted on: 2010/3/26 15:39
"His father was a mudder.
-His father was a mudder?
-His mother was a mudder.
-His mother was a mudder?
-What did I just say?"

-Kramer

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/4 19:30
Group:
Registered Users
use the GPS only if you are going out of the tri-state area, keep it at home. I have a NYC and NJ map in the car, a really nice one, pages, booklet style...cost less than 10 bucks, it's laying right there on the seat..and guess what, no broken windows. and another tip, don't even keep a dime visible. any loose change, hey some idiot might just smash your window for it. no valuables, nothing. no sunglasses, nothing.

Posted on: 2010/3/26 15:27

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

DouglasReynholm wrote:
You live in this city, buy a map and save your money and your car from being smashed up.

Actually, we'll be buying another GPS, but thanks. I forgot about maps.

Posted on: 2010/3/26 15:18
-What did I just say?"

-Kramer

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/4 19:30
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2010/3/26 15:09

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

PBW wrote:
Quote:

nikyrob wrote:
Our car was broken into last night. It was parked on York St. along Van Vorst Park. Passenger side window was smashed and a GPS was stolen out of the glove compartment. A police report was filed and the cop informed us that he had three other reports of car break-ins in the Van Vorst Park area he was following up on this morning (all from last night). Nothing was visible in the car. Nothing else was stolen (there was nothing else of value). Some loose change and CD's were left untouched.

On my way to work this morning, I saw a van parked on Montgomery between Grove & Barrow that also had its passenger side window smashed. Car owners were filing a report with the police. Different cop, so there must have been a lot of these last night.

Sucks. Sorry.

Question, was your GPS holder visible? I heard even that can be an enticer. GPS seems to be the common denominator to break-ins, according to someone who went to a police meeting.

There was no holder visible. The GPS suctions onto the dashboard and there was a very light ring mark from the suction cup visible. It's possible they inspected every car for GPS holders or suction ring marks. Or they could have just gotten lucky. The rings were really hard to see this morning, and this happened at night. York Street by the park does get eerily dark & quiet...

Although there were a bunch of break-ins last night, other cars on the same block were left untouched, so who knows?

Posted on: 2010/3/26 14:20
-What did I just say?"

-Kramer

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/4 17:25
Group:
Registered Users
It bears repeating...

- Never leave anything of value in your car.

- Make sure there are no suction cup marks on your windshield.

- Open all compartments so thieves can see that there is nothing inside.

Posted on: 2010/3/26 14:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/11/1 17:27
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

nikyrob wrote:
Our car was broken into last night. It was parked on York St. along Van Vorst Park. Passenger side window was smashed and a GPS was stolen out of the glove compartment. A police report was filed and the cop informed us that he had three other reports of car break-ins in the Van Vorst Park area he was following up on this morning (all from last night). Nothing was visible in the car. Nothing else was stolen (there was nothing else of value). Some loose change and CD's were left untouched.

On my way to work this morning, I saw a van parked on Montgomery between Grove & Barrow that also had its passenger side window smashed. Car owners were filing a report with the police. Different cop, so there must have been a lot of these last night.

Sucks. Sorry.

Question, was your GPS holder visible? I heard even that can be an enticer. GPS seems to be the common denominator to break-ins, according to someone who went to a police meeting.

Posted on: 2010/3/26 14:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Yup, another one on Barrow Street between Montgomery and Mercer. Looks like a whole bunch got broken into last night. Could use more late night police presence in the area.

Posted on: 2010/3/26 14:06

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2010/3/26 13:45
-What did I just say?"

-Kramer

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/30 16:48
Group:
Registered Users
Just a question for those whose cars are being broken into.

Are they stealing any aftermarket parts(GPS, satellite radios, etc)? Are they stealing any factory parts(radios, satellite radios, GPS, Airbags)? Or are they mostly going after other items left in the car?

I am just asking so maybe people can be more careful with future purchases and safety of their property.

Posted on: 2010/3/7 7:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/7/8 14:23
Group:
Registered Users
thanks to resident for posting and collecting info.

Please email downtownjcwatch@gmail.com any information on car break-in/theft or evidence of Broken glass. We are trying to compile our own record which would include car break-in/theft that is not reported to the police (e.g. visitors or nothing valuable taken).

We will meet onMonday, 3/8, at 8pm instead of 7pm at Grace Church on Erie Street. Enter on 2nd Street. We will plan a car patrol and need someone who has a garaged car to volunteer to drive. I will send an additional email reminding members who to call for specific concerns.

Also, Country Village in Greenville needs support in building a strong blockwatch. If anyone can attend their March 15th Meeting, please email downtownjcwatch@gmail.com or P.O. Lamboy at vlamboy@jcnj.org.

thanks

Posted on: 2010/3/7 4:32

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/2/7 4:23
Group:
Registered Users
I had my car broken into a couple weeks ago. Dude smashed the passenger side window and took my gps out the glove compartment. I was asking for it cause I left the mount in the car like big "break into my car" sign. That's my naivete. It was parked on the corner of the Third and Jersey, right next to Ctown. The guy who replaced my window ( $230 from Safelite) said he alone replaces 3 windows a day in the downtown jersey city area. At least one a day are for someone stealing a GPS. I would love to catch this guy and smash his face in.

Posted on: 2010/3/7 3:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/4/8 22:02
Group:
Registered Users
I walked past a car with a broken window Tuesday night about 10-11pm. Columbus between Jersey & Coles. I called the JCPD non-emergency number thinking that since it had a JC parking permit in the window, maybe they could contact the owner - at least to let him get anything of value out for the night, and it was raining a little bit. They sent police out, but I don't know if they contacted the owner or not.

Posted on: 2010/3/6 14:28
Thank you for making The Great Jersey City SOUP SWAP an annual success! See you in January 2013 for the next Soup Swap!

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/3/26 15:21
Group:
Registered Users
Yes, I noticed many broken car windows recently - the latest this morning on Wayne St between Grove and Barrow.

And yes, I can also confirm: certainly a lot more dog poop this winter than I have ever seen here...

Posted on: 2010/3/6 4:53

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/14 13:47
Group:
Registered Users
Just saw some broken auto glass on the north side of 2nd st. between Coles and Jersey. WTF

Posted on: 2010/3/6 4:09

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/7/30 19:58
From Italian Village
Group:
Registered Users
Yeah, I've noticed a few piles on monmouth street between 4th and 6th. There are a few right next to the embankment on monmouth, and that makes sense. That's a great spot for a car theif beceause no one will hear the window break because in that part of monmouth between 5th and 6th there are no residences. Not that people don't break into cars in front of houses, but I would say that is not a safe place to park.

Also, I had my car broken into, and GPS stolen, but I had NO BRACKET or mounting, or the GPS visible. The guy took a chance and found my Garmin in the glove box. Stupid on my part still, so now I take it out of the car always. Too bad I caught the thief in action and he is in jail now. I'd love to catch some more.

Posted on: 2010/3/4 21:38

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/8/5 3:34
Group:
Registered Users
I have noticed the broken glass too, no idea what the story is on that. Other then clearly someone is enjoying the destruction of property. Hope my car is not the next victim. Per the rampant dog poo...watch where you step... downtown is covered in it.

Posted on: 2010/3/4 19:55

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/1/9 1:38
From Bay Street
Group:
Registered Users
The 2 break ins that happened on Bay Street a couple weeks back occurred in broad daylight. Dumb ass is visible clear as day in the surveillance footage however.

Day or night, doesn't make a difference. Hide your GPS's and hide the mounting brackets. Mounting brackets are enough to get them into your car.

Posted on: 2010/3/4 19:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/8 17:09
Group:
Registered Users
a month or so back there was a rash of broken car windows around VVP.

Haven't noticed too many lately, but the the dogsh%t index is sky high. Tough to say which is a bigger negative...

As always, JC could use beat cops on the streets!

Posted on: 2010/3/4 19:46

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/7/2 13:59
From downtown JC
Group:
Registered Users
This past saturday morning, I noticed the truck that's always parked in front of my apt on 6th Street had it's passenger window smashed too, but not sure of others along the street. Anyone else?

Posted on: 2010/3/4 18:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

scratchy wrote:
Has anyone noticed a lot of broken glass in the area lately?

I was walking on Erie today and noticed 5 different piles of car window glass from 7th St to Newark. I walk this way every day but I didn't notice it before because of the snow. What's going on?

Car break-ins are reaching epidemic proportions. I haven't seen this many since the late 80's, early 90's. As always probably the same people hitting the area again and again till they get caught or want to move on. I would suggest that people keep their eyes open for suspicious activity. These guys usually will walk the sidewalk or street-side checking every car. They are often on bikes and will travel against traffic to make their escape. The guy I helped catch recently was using a cellphone to make it appear that he was just some dude wandering down the street, having a chat. The GPS has replaced the car radio as the new prize. A lot easier to steal too.

Posted on: 2010/3/4 16:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/9/29 17:41
Group:
Registered Users
Free stuff!

Posted on: 2010/3/4 16:47

Broken car windows all over
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/4/7 0:44
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Has anyone noticed a lot of broken glass in the area lately?

I was walking on Erie today and noticed 5 different piles of car window glass from 7th St to Newark. I walk this way every day but I didn't notice it before because of the snow. What's going on?

Posted on: 2010/3/4 16:46

« 1 (2)

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017