Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
109 user(s) are online (93 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 109

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: Sterling Waterman -- Candidate for JC Board of Education 2010

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/4/13 19:09
Group:
Registered Users
fedup07302,
I have actually spoken briefly with a few of the other candidates but Carol Lester and I speak and appear at most of the same functions often.

Sterling

Posted on: 2010/3/26 4:16
Vote April 20th, 2-9pm

sterlingwatermanforjcboe@gmail.com

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/3/19 0:53
Group:
Registered Users
Sterling has anyone else that is running reached out to you to
form a ticket?

I am amazed that no one else has posted on JClist to ask for support.

Posted on: 2010/3/25 21:50

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
njlist,
I have no problems answering any questions as I have stated when I initially introduced myself and my candidacy.

As for your current crop of questions, I am against vouchers. My answer to the rest would be irrelevant because of the current structure and responsibility of the BOE. You see, the state still has control over the Instructional and Personnel functions of the schools, of which tenure, new hires, and the rest of your questions fall under.
Dr. Epps and his lawyers make these decisions only.

And just in case anyone is wondering, the Board members are responsible for the Governance, Operational and Fiscal functions, which is why they must decide on the Teacher's contract.

I understand you want to know more. I have laid it out here on jclist and invited everyone to upcoming events which will be posted.

And, as you know Carol Lester, ask her, she knows me too.

Sterling Waterman

Posted on: 2010/3/22 13:04
Vote April 20th, 2-9pm

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/9/27 23:58
Group:
Registered Users
one last thing:

think you're being rather overblown in calling my noting that sterling waterman worked for edison a "hit job". . .
a google of his name immediately comes up with that.
Edison Schools and Chris Whitty was a big news story in the area during Schundler years, with the talk of charter schools, etc.
also, for the record, I'm definitely not planning on voting for mccann or conners -- i know carol lester and think she would be responsible, and have a pretty good idea of what her positions are. . .however, as I said, don't know much about waterman and want to know more, that's all.

Posted on: 2010/3/22 6:07

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
@ who speaks for you-

I never have run, never had any desire to run, I'm not a candidate, nor am i in the camp of any other candidate -- it wasn't freudian slip -- just a tired insomniac posting.

i think you're either overly suspicious, or I could likewise argue you yourself have a vested interest-- perhaps you are working for waterman, if you're erroneously accusing me of representing another candidate. afterall, aren't your postings anonymous as well?

how are my inquiries "vague?" they are actually quite specific. They are what you call "hot-button" issues, because they are so very relevant and important for voters to become educated about.

. . .i'm gonna try and get some sleep now.

Posted on: 2010/3/22 6:00

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/3/16 2:47
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
njlist wrote:
I'm simply a candidate who wants to be educated.

Freudian slip?

Just looks suspicious to me, is all. When somebody posts a hit job and then a series of questions on hot-button issues, it could be an honest attempt to have questions answered. Or it could be an abuse of anonymity in an attempt to take advantage of a candidate who is on this forum in good faith under his own name.

By all means, Mr. Waterman can and should answer the questions himself. But with vague questions you'll probably get vague answers, if any.

Posted on: 2010/3/22 5:26

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
sorry typo -- i'm not a candidate, but want to be educated on the candidates.

Posted on: 2010/3/22 4:34

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I'm simply a candidate who wants to be educated. Asking relevant, questions to a candidate who in this thread says he welcomes all inquiries means I'm somehow trying to "pin him down" ? I'd ask all the candidates the same question, but they haven't posted on JC List.

These are the issues in the forefront of the education and fiscal debate that will have a influence not only on our kids and the future of public education, but will directly and indirectly have an effect on taxes, etc. As a resident and someone whose kids attend public schools, I would like to know.

Why would you have issue with that? I think Mr. Waterman is fully capable of awnsering the inquiries himself.

Posted on: 2010/3/22 4:32

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/3/16 2:47
Group:
Registered Users
njlist said:
Quote:
mr. w, thank you for responding. A few more questions: your position on 1) school vouchers 2) tenure 3) merit pay 4) changing pension system to 401K a) for current teachers b) for new hires c) for part time workers 5)premiums on health benefits -- how much? a) for retired teachers b) for current teachers

This seems like a polite line of questioning designed to pin Mr. Waterman down. And this after an oppo research hit on his previous employment. Are you a voter or do you represent one of the other candidates? These are complicated issues. I would hope that any of the candidates could write a treatise or speak at length on each of them. But without anything specific, he shouldn't respond unless he has time to write a booklength post on JCList.

Posted on: 2010/3/22 3:25

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
mr. w, thank you for responding.

A few more questions:

your position on 1) school vouchers
2) tenure
3) merit pay
4) changing pension system to 401K
a) for current teachers
b) for new hires
c) for part time workers
5)premiums on health benefits -- how much?
a) for retired teachers
b) for current teachers

Posted on: 2010/3/22 2:33

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/3/19 0:53
Group:
Registered Users
The grounds keeper at the white house can't be held responsible
for policy decisions. This guy is on this site answering questions
in a very open way.I applaud that.

Posted on: 2010/3/22 1:08

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/6/30 17:43
Group:
Registered Users
I had the opportunity to meet Mr. Waterman and came away genuinely impressed. His story made sense to me....he wants his kid to get a better education.

His answers were very well thought out and I really dont know much about Edison Schools but it really just sounds like he had a job managing the office and not formulating education policy. I am looking to hear from some of the other candidates, but I think Mr. Waterman has my vote at this point!

Posted on: 2010/3/22 0:47

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
njlist,
I understand your concern.

I indeed worked at Edison Schools in 2000 to 2002 as the office/facility mgr for Headquarters which was based on 43rd st, NYC, at the time. My function was to build and manage space at HQ only. I had absolutely no dealings at all with any of the schools, and couldn't tell you where any of them were located if asked.

My maternal grandmother, a sister and a brother were all educators in public schools. I went to public schools and college in NYC. I have held jobs in accounting, administration and facilities over 30 years.

Aside from being a parent of a 2nd grader & the CPA President of PS 16 (2 yrs now), which has a very strong base of parents, that is one of the main reasons why our school is one of the best in JC. We contribute to the learning and education process by sponsoring Reading Programs or buying books. We also provide outlets for the kids with the production & management of Talent & Fashion Shows, Dances and Outdoor Fairs. Most of these things I take time out and do personally.

I am also an active member of Parents and Communities United for Education (PCUE), a Jersey City based Education Organization under the umbrella of SEOC which is in several cities in NJ. We led the fight last year to remove lead from the water in the schools. Our current campaign, for which we've had many rallies and face to face meetings with Dr. Epps, is 100% graducation for all High Schoolers. A tough task where the graduation rate is hovering under 70%, which would be lower if not for McNair HS, the only passing HS, and a dumbed down system of substitute testing.

I am also a Mentor in the Big Brother/Big Sister Program. In this I do not have a casual stake. I see my little brother often, including weekends.

I am also part of the Recess Committee , where over the last two years, my group has been putting together a system to insure that ALL kids are getting much needed and required recess, where in some schools they are not.

I am part of several other organizations, education or other wise.

Many of the JC residents have recently gotten to know me and what I stand for in this election, as i have spoken at several neighborhood association meetings, and attended a few "meet & greets". As I mentioned in an earlier string, I have also done a taping with Mia Scanga's "Talking Politics". In addition, I have been invited to several upcoming candidates forum with some of the Public Schools, the PCUE organization, the DCNA, JC Familities, JC Moms and several other organizations.

Everybody is welcome to attend any of the above events. Please come out and meet me and the other candidates.

Sterling

Posted on: 2010/3/21 23:57
Vote April 20th, 2-9pm

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/1/7 4:11
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

SterlingWaterman wrote:
12345, JackieCruise and njlist.

Thanks for the question. At Thursday's BOE meeting, Terry Dehere, BOE member and Finance Chair, mentioned that he received details of the contract just days before, which was his reason for voting the way he did. At a taping, yesterday, for Talking Politics with Mia Scanga, Gerry McCann mentioned that there is no contract. I say these things because I know even less than these board members and haven't seen any document, contract or otherwise, despite my efforts. As such, i cannot responsibly give my opinion, at least until I get more information.

With that said, in these cynical times it is easy to forget the impact teacher?s have not just on the children in our communities, but on the quality of life for everybody. A good teacher really can be the difference between a child going to college or going to prison. It makes sense then to pay a wage to teachers that attracts the best of them to our schools.

Also, in these times of fiscal crisis, everyone must do their part. So in return for salary increases, concessions should not be out of the question. As I?ve said from the beginning, cuts should start in administration with the many high paid lofty adminstrators than on the backs of hardworking teachers.

But again, honestly, I can?t take a firm stand until I know the details. If I am fortunate enough to be elected to the BOE, I will be proactive in obtaining facts/info on issues that need a vote and will cast my vote when expected.

This contract being in limbo as long as it has certainly benefits no one.

Sterling

Quite honestly your answer seems kind of wishy-washy. Seems like you are trying to play both political sides of the fence.....I get a good feeling about you and it seems like you are running for all the right reasons. Some of those you are running against will definately not get my vote because of their character deficiencies. Your positions seem well thought out, which is good. Just first impressions based entirely on this thread.

Posted on: 2010/3/21 21:34
I'm not perfect.....but I'm not all bad either.

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
don't know -- managers have different level of input, depending on the workplace. . was he a fiscal manager, with some input into financial stuff, or operations manager?

i think background of a candidate (family, schools, jobs held)can be relevant -- can give insight into their world view, etc.

as of now, I don't know that much about waterman beyond fact that he is pto president -- i know at some schools, people have to beg parents to get on board and involved and "run" for office, so merely holding such a position, while is positive, in that he s getting involved, doesn't necessarily say more beyond that --

who did he run against, what is his level of involvement, how many people actually show up at the parent meetings, what things have been implemented under his leadership, how many others on the pto board contribute, etc?

I'm not saying he's not a good candidate -- but really don't know much about him or his positions beyond the generalities like saying nice things (who would argue that teachers aren't influential?) -- he is a blank slate, and as such, I want to know more about his background, before latching on and proclaiming him as a positive addition to the board.

I'll keep an open mind, though. It's just we've been burned in the past with candidates we thought were going to be a positive chance, and then doesn't pan out.

Posted on: 2010/3/21 20:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/25 20:40
From somewhere else
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

njlist wrote:
is this sterling waterman who once worked as the office manager for "Edison Schools,Inc?"

I wouldn't know if Waterman worked there or not, but "office manager"? Not exactly a position where he'd be influencing policy, is it?

Posted on: 2010/3/21 19:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/10/5 14:56
From Van Vorst
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

SterlingWaterman wrote:
... At a taping, yesterday, for Talking Politics with Mia Scanga, Gerry McCann mentioned that there is no contract. I say these things because I know even less than these board members and haven't seen any document, contract or otherwise, despite my efforts. As such, i cannot responsibly give my opinion, at least until I get more information.

Sterling

While voting you into office may be part of the solution, isn't part of the problem the utter lack of transparency ?
Does anyone have access to any sort of remotely detailed information regarding the JC school budget?
Try taking a look at the board of ed's meeting minutes. They are formatted purposefully to discourage people from reading through them. If they wanted people to read them, they could just post them in text or PDF format in a single file...

Posted on: 2010/3/21 19:31

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
is this sterling waterman who once worked as the office manager for "Edison Schools,Inc?"

I think they were the company behind schools like Schomburg Charter, a clearly "failing" school by several markers-- test scores, ridiculously high administration and staff turnover -- often kids who couldn't "make it" in the non-charter JCPSchools were often sent to Schomburg by their parents as a last resort.

On the website, PARENTS ADVOCATING SCHOOL ACCOUNTABILITY, this was their take on these "Edison Schools":

"Controversial, for-profit Edison Schools, once hailed as the salvation of public education, has fallen from glory as what seemed like visionary ideas turned out to be just a sales pitch. In its heyday, Edison claimed that it could run public schools for less money than school districts could. The company dropped that claim as dismayed clients complained about its extra costs.

Edison's boasts that it could improve student achievement while making a profit fell just as flat.

Edison's student achievement has been mixed at best, and its claims about academic improvement never held up to scrutiny. A July 2002 New York Times analysis of Edison's claims found that the troubled Cleveland, Ohio, school system achieved higher gains than Edison's schools when analyzed with the methodology Edison applied to its own schools' achievement.

The notion of making a profit collapsed too. Edison Schools lost millions of dollars every year, showing a profit in just one quarter of the 10 years it made its finances public.

Edison's stock was publicly traded on the NASDAQ for four years. After reaching a high of close to $40 per share in early 2001, the share value tumbled to a low of 14 cents. In November 2003, the company was taken private in a buyout which paid only $1.75 per share. It was shortly after the buyout that Edison posted its lone profitable quarter, and then immediately ceased providing any public disclosure of its finances. The company has never indicated that it was able to maintain profitability for more than the one quarter.

After losing many contracts - along with its media luster -- Edison quietly began moving away from its original mission of "revolutionizing" public education, and into marketing conventional supplemental services such as testing, summer school and tutoring. Almost all of its new business involves providing such services rather than trying to manage schools.

Edison attracted ideological support from backers of privatization and school vouchers, and from such powerful conservative bastions as the Wall Street Journal editorial board and the Hoover Institution. But its name is no longer mentioned when "school reform" supporters talk about solutions for public education."

So is the Mr. Sterling Waterman who was with Edison the same one now running for the JC School Board?

Posted on: 2010/3/21 16:38

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Thanks for the question. At Thursday's BOE meeting, Terry Dehere, BOE member and Finance Chair, mentioned that he received details of the contract just days before, which was his reason for voting the way he did. At a taping, yesterday, for Talking Politics with Mia Scanga, Gerry McCann mentioned that there is no contract. I say these things because I know even less than these board members and haven't seen any document, contract or otherwise, despite my efforts. As such, i cannot responsibly give my opinion, at least until I get more information.

With that said, in these cynical times it is easy to forget the impact teacher?s have not just on the children in our communities, but on the quality of life for everybody. A good teacher really can be the difference between a child going to college or going to prison. It makes sense then to pay a wage to teachers that attracts the best of them to our schools.

Also, in these times of fiscal crisis, everyone must do their part. So in return for salary increases, concessions should not be out of the question. As I?ve said from the beginning, cuts should start in administration with the many high paid lofty adminstrators than on the backs of hardworking teachers.

But again, honestly, I can?t take a firm stand until I know the details. If I am fortunate enough to be elected to the BOE, I will be proactive in obtaining facts/info on issues that need a vote and will cast my vote when expected.

This contract being in limbo as long as it has certainly benefits no one.

Sterling

Posted on: 2010/3/21 16:03
Vote April 20th, 2-9pm

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
mr. waterman,

echoing both 12345 and jackiecruise:

what would your vote have been at thursdays board meeting-- yea or nay, and you specific reasons why?

Posted on: 2010/3/21 3:33

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/11 2:23
Group:
Registered Users
I didn't mean to sound elitist when I said "downtown." I agree that it should be citywide but it is much more difficult choice for people to send their children to a "failing" school then to one that has a lot of already has some class diversity and infrastructure in place, which is the case with some of the downtown schools. If you check the test scores for the lower grades at some schools (5, 9, 37) you'll see a great deal of improvement. But thanks for the info about the candidate.

Posted on: 2010/3/21 1:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/7/30 1:08
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
I agree and also believe that if more new/middle class families would become part of our public schools (citywide), our schools by all measures would improve. the strongest indicators of a student's educational success are demographics/class - income (vs poverty), parental education, health and PEER pressure, so by greater diversifying our student base, all can benefit.

Our local schools need to become strong learning communities fostering the involvement of families AND a participating role for the surrounding community/neighborhood.

I find Sterling Waterman an excellant Board of Education candidate and hope those concerned understand both importance and difficulty in getting out the vote; and be active in getting friends and neighbors to the polls on April 20th, 2pm to 9pm or voting by absentee ballot.

He is a public district school parent who has been a knowledgeable advocate on behalf children and families. I believe that in Sterling, you will find a strong leader and partner to join in your effort (just strikeout "downtown").

Dan

Quote:

ecinjc wrote:
Hi Mr. Waterman,
I am very glad to see your post here. I am a downtown resident and my son attends Pre-K at school Number 5. I really believe that the way to change JC schools is for more of the new residents to send their kids to public schools and increase the parent participation. I also think the time is right and the place to start is the downtown schools. If you agree, how can the board of ed best help facilitate this.

Posted on: 2010/3/20 17:35

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/11 2:23
Group:
Registered Users
Hi Mr. Waterman,
I am very glad to see your post here. I am a downtown resident and my son attends Pre-K at school Number 5. I really believe that the way to change JC schools is for more of the new residents to send their kids to public schools and increase the parent participation. I also think the time is right and the place to start is the downtown schools. If you agree, how can the board of ed best help facilitate this.

Posted on: 2010/3/20 11:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/1/7 4:11
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

12345 wrote:
Sterling; How would you have voted tonight if you were on the board?

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... ty_board_of_ed_fails.html

I was wondering the same thing Mr. Waterman. What is your specific position on that vote and would your vote have been yea, nay or abstain? Please give a brief reason for the vote you would have made.

Posted on: 2010/3/19 21:32
I'm not perfect.....but I'm not all bad either.

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
JC_SOS,
Thanks for the question.

I believe having measurable familiarity with the current BOE members, the structure of their meetings and the various committees they chair or share, gives me a distinct advantage over my competition.

I am highly respected and regarded for the way I have handled matters affecting my school and others, over the years.

With that said, I expect to have a very professional and productive working relationship with them all. I will bring my dogged determination and "no holds bar" approach and hope it is met with the same.

It, however, will be clear from the inset that I will not stand for the status quo and will do everything within my power to change the perception and the reality of doing "not enough".

I hope I have answered your question. Please excuse the length.

Sterling Waterman

Posted on: 2010/3/19 4:51
Vote April 20th, 2-9pm

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/11/28 18:03
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
Sterling; How would you have voted tonight if you were on the board?

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... ty_board_of_ed_fails.html

Posted on: 2010/3/19 4:30

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks, Geoff. I really appreciate it.

Posted on: 2010/3/19 4:27
Vote April 20th, 2-9pm

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/9/12 0:02
Group:
Registered Users
Mr. Waterman - Your response to Geoff's question brings a ray of sunshine to my outlook on JC's future. I agree that there isn't a magic bullet but we have to start somewhere & having competent board members who aren't scared to challenge the status quo is a good start. JC's business-as-usual attitude should be made a thing of the past. I appreciate what I perceive to be your sincere attempts to connect to the public, to whom the JCBOE (like any publicly elected body or official) must be accountable.

I do have a follow-up question: if/when elected, how would you approach working with the other remaining board members -- many of whom sit on the JCBOE for multiple terms -- to get your goals accomplished? Having a vision without a means to make it real is nothing but a dream. JC desperately needs REAL change for the better, not just election slogan BS.

Posted on: 2010/3/19 1:29

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/10/29 16:00
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Difficult question to address; excellent answer to a serious issue that needs competent board members to take seriously. Thanks for responding!

I look forward to voting for you in the upcoming election and you can count on my support.

All the best.

Geoff

Posted on: 2010/3/18 22:47

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Geoff,

Great question. Unfortunately, there are no magic fixes for the budget crisis or the educational challenges facing our schools. I do believe, however, that there are improvements which can be initiated immediately to both address the budget crisis AND begin to better our schools:

- Identify, route out and eliminate wasteful spending
- Eliminate high paid, unnecessary job functions within the administration
- Eliminate no-bid contracts
- Reduce/eliminate the number of high paid consultants (use resources from within)
- Redirect some of the savings to programs proven successful in our schools
- Redirect the rest to balance the budget
- Change the culture of the Board of Education by opening a competitive search for the Superintendent position and requiring the candidates to propose specific, practical methods for doing the above

It isn't rocket science; but with all due respect to the current Board members, there hasn't been the will to engage these problems and create workable solutions. Now we have a crisis. But even after this crisis has passed, the Board must change the way it does business. It must fix nuisances before they become problems, problems before they become crises. The students and taxpayers deserve -- at least -- that. And the voters must be sure they demand it.

Sterling

Posted on: 2010/3/18 21:01

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017