Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
118 user(s) are online (102 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 118

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: We are census undercounted
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/8/19 13:36
Group:
Registered Users
Can someone, anyone, please tell me why I have had two (2) census workers sitting at a table in my apartment building for the last four (4) weeks, wasting time and tax payer dollars? I know Obama wants to keep those employment numbers up, but this is ridiculous.

Isn't the census over!? I thought it ended April 30, 2010, 4 months ago.

Posted on: 2010/8/19 22:59

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/18 21:02
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
We combined two apartments into 1 so we got the forms for both floors. I completed one and sent back with the explanation. I happened to be outside talking to a neighbor and a group of census takers came by asking questions. They must have come back to me 5 times over the next hour because they forgot a question. Finally I told them I was done answering question. Over the next few weeks they knocked on the door a few more times. Seriously how hard is it to ask a few questions and check a box?

Posted on: 2010/8/12 17:06

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/12/8 23:48
Group:
Registered Users
What a joke, we never received a form and no one ever knocked on our door.

Posted on: 2010/8/12 13:56

Re: Census 2010 7th time
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/1/20 23:56
From Bergen/Lafayette
Group:
Registered Users
During the original mailing, we received three forms to complete: Apartment 1, 2 and 3. We are a single family home so I sent back two forms indicating our address was a single family home, emailed the Census folks and called them to state same. Within weeks we received three more forms for the 3 apartments. I completed one and sent back two indicating again that the address was a single family dwelling. To date, I have now taken two phone calls to answer census questions because they have no record of our compeleted forms (questions from two census takers were different). Since those phone calls, there are numerous voicemails for us regarding the urgent need for us to call so we can be counted in the Census. I certainly understand the importance of this effort but have no patience for inefficiency and don't feel compelled to again answer questions because they for some reason have been unable to retain all previous informaton provided to them.

Posted on: 2010/8/12 10:49

Re: Census 2010 7th time
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/5/16 16:22
From beneath the jumping sheep
Group:
Registered Users
I filled out our Census form upon receipt, and walked it to the post office and mailed it the following Saturday. Yet we STILL had one of those Census takers ring our doorbell and ask for our information two months later because he claims they never received our form. Although we subscribe to CreditWatch and haven't seen any suspicious activities, I'm worried about where our information went.

Posted on: 2010/8/12 3:27

Census 2010 7th time
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/9/17 18:39
Group:
Registered Users
Ok it looks like my block, 2nd street, will be doing really well when the census is finished. I sent one in and as of now have had them come by 6 more times to fill it out again. Just plain nuts.

Posted on: 2010/8/11 22:14

Re: 2010 Census: Fines Levied by a Condo Association?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/20 2:38
Group:
Registered Users
Odd question... there must be quite a story behind this.

In any case, census responses are confidential and protected by federal law. That includes whether or not you have returned your census form.

No condo board has the power to penalize or fine you for failing to return your census form. Even if somehow this were written into condo docs, it would almost certainly be considered inherently unreasonable for a condo board to claim that the census is directly related to operation of the condominium.

Returning census forms is a civic duty and everyone should do it, but for any condo board to try to get in the middle of it is completely asinine. That is way, way, way beyond what any reasonable condo board should consider its purview.

Posted on: 2010/4/15 2:40

2010 Census: Fines Levied by a Condo Association?
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/4/9 19:59
Group:
Registered Users
Can a condo association levy a fine against an owner for not returning their 2010 census? I understand that legally you must return the census form, that makes sense to me. What I can't figure out is if a condo association has the right to fine owners for not doing so. And how would they know if you did or didn't? Is that somehow reported somewhere to the general public? I could understand if the government knew you didn't respond but not sure how a condo association would get that information? Any insight here?

Thank you in advance.

Posted on: 2010/4/15 2:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/5 14:18
From Exchange Place
Group:
Registered Users
I received a second census form today. It said that if I have already provided my census information, there is no need to provide it again.

Posted on: 2010/4/1 23:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/7/16 11:48
Group:
Registered Users
I sent mine in a while ago and today received a second form. According to Census.gov:

Why did I receive a second questionnaire?
Answer

Second mailings are automatically scheduled for delivery if we do not receive your first questionnaire by April 9. We?ve found that we can save millions of dollars in taxpayer money during the 2010 Census if we mail a second form when we haven?t received the first questionnaire rather than send a census worker to your house. So please fill out the second questionnaire and return it in the envelope we provided.

Q. But won?t I get counted twice that way?

A. No, the Census Bureau has procedures to eliminate duplicate questionnaires. There is an ID associated with each household?s questionnaire. This prevents us from counting you more than once.

Posted on: 2010/4/1 22:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Dear T Bird

You are correct. I went to the library and picked one up. I brought 3 back for my other neighbors. On a side note, there were 2 woman. One started to fill it out for me ( which I did not ask but was kind ) and the other woman told me to do it myself. There was no one waiting. Found it funny

Posted on: 2010/4/1 21:37

Re: Census 2010
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
There really should be a more efficient way of doing the census. Have they considered incorporating mankind's greatest invention - the Internet - into census counting?

Honestly, I bet most people don't fill it out and mail it in because of laziness. But if there was a website that you could go to and fill out a 30 second survey and click "submit", I guarantee more people would do it. Even better if the form was emailed to you, so it's all right there.

Posted on: 2010/4/1 14:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/10/21 3:42
From Hilltop
Group:
Registered Users
Part of the cause could be the post office in downtown JC. When I lived in PH and by grove street i only got about 60% of my mail. I estimated 60% based on the number of monthly mags and bills i was missing. I usually recieved only the second reminder from the PO saying they are holding a package for me. The second notice has a return to sender date, the notice always came after that date. I was only 2.5 blocks from the post office. They could have shouted it out the front door just once and I probably would have gotten more packages, it was frustrating. I dont know if anything has changed since then but that would hurt the census if not.

Posted on: 2010/4/1 14:04

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/21 19:53
Group:
Registered Users
Jersey City's response to Census count is dismal; less than third of forms mailed back; today is deadline

Thursday, April 01, 2010
By ROHAN MASCARENHAS

THE STAR-LEDGER

Fewer New Jerseyans are sending back their Census forms compared with the rest of the nation, triggering alarms among U.S. Census Bureau officials.

And Jersey City in Hudson County is one of the laggards.

"We're concerned about the relatively low response from parts of New Jersey," said Robert Groves, the bureau's director.

The problem seems most acute in urban areas. In Newark, only 27 percent of residents have mailed in their forms, compared with less than a third of residents in Jersey City and Paterson. Groves also singled out Elizabeth, where 33 percent of residents have responded.

The low response could become an issue for the state because the U.S. Census, conducted once every decade, determines the number of seats states have in the House of Representatives and affects the apportionment of political districts. It also affects the distribution of funding for schools, roads and neighborhood improvements.

Nationally, about half of the country has already answered the forms, which include 10 questions and should take about 10 minutes to complete, Groves said.

Today is the deadline for mailing back the questionnaire to the Census Bureau in the postage-paid envelope that arrived with the form. If the form isn't mailed back, Census workers will visit beginning in May until they are able to complete a questionnaire.

The forms were mailed to residents this March. More information on the Census can be found at 2010.census.gov.

Posted on: 2010/4/1 13:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/25 20:40
From somewhere else
Group:
Registered Users
We realized this morning we'd never received the census and I stopped at the library today and picked one up.

Quote:

Brooklynboy wrote:
I have yet to receive my form. My friend has an extra one but was wondering if others have yet to get one. I went to the Census website but nothing. Hard to be counted if you do not get the form. Thanks all

Posted on: 2010/4/1 3:11

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/2/17 0:53
Group:
Registered Users
I never got mine. I'm going to grab it from here and mail it in and save uncle sam some money:

http://2010.census.gov/2010census/how/interactive-form.php

Posted on: 2010/4/1 2:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Exchange Place
Group:
Registered Users
Today, I received a postcard about Census jobs. In total, I received 5 pieces of mail.

Maybe the mailman got lazy and threw them away, or hid them in his basement.

Posted on: 2010/4/1 2:15

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/9/23 1:43
Group:
Registered Users
I've spoken to people in 5 other apartments in Grove Pt- none of us received Census forms! That's a lot of missed people, especially if they've missed other new buildings...

Posted on: 2010/4/1 1:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/9/14 20:15
From Crystal Point
Group:
Registered Users
i got a notice that the census is coming and a notice that they are looking for workers... but no actual census.

Posted on: 2010/4/1 1:11

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/9/23 1:43
Group:
Registered Users
I've gotten the reminders but not the actual census form. I live in Grove Pt. I asked the doorman if he had noticed if people had given their forms to him to mail, and he said, yah you know, I haven't noticed people mailing the forms. So, I'm wondering if some of the new buildings have been missed...

Posted on: 2010/3/31 23:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Exchange Place
Group:
Registered Users
I received a letter on 3/9/10 telling me that the cencus is coming. I received the census on 3/16/10. I mailed it back on 3/17/10. On 3/17/10, I received a postcard telling me that if I need help, I can call a 800 number. On 3/23/10, I received a postcard reminding me to sent it in.

I am wondering, maybe they don't know that your address exist? How do they know where the homes are, or how many homes are in a building?

Posted on: 2010/3/31 22:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/8/28 13:19
Group:
Registered Users
I got mine. A friend of mine who has not yet received his called the Census Bureau and they told him that if he does not get it by April 7 to call them back.

Posted on: 2010/3/31 22:53

Census 2010
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I have yet to receive my form. My friend has an extra one but was wondering if others have yet to get one. I went to the Census website but nothing. Hard to be counted if you do not get the form. Thanks all

Posted on: 2010/3/31 22:07

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/12/11 17:26
From Newport
Group:
Registered Users
You are obligated by law you argumentative numnut... I hope you are fined for PUBLICLY refusing to fill out the census form. "It's not the time". The census has always been an obligation, they have never just asked.

Title 13

Sec. 221. Refusal or neglect to answer questions; false answers

(a) Whoever, being over eighteen years of age refuses or willfully neglects, when requested by the Secretary, or by any other authorized officer or employee of the Department of Commerce or bureau or agency thereof acting under the instructions of the Secretary or authorized officer, to answer, to the best of his knowledge, any of the questions on any schedule submitted to him in connection with any census or survey provided for by subchapters I, II, IV, and V of chapter 5 of this title, applying to himself or to the family to which he belongs or is related, or to the farm or farms of which he or his family is the occupant, shall be fined not more than $100.

(b) Whoever, when answering questions described in subsection (a) of this section, and under the conditions or circumstances described in such subsection, willfully gives any answer that is false, shall be fined not more than $500. (c) Notwithstanding any other provision of this title, no person shall be compelled to disclose information relative to his religious beliefs or to membership in a religious body.

Posted on: 2010/3/18 5:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/4/2 20:55
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ThirdGrove wrote:
Shadow:
Where do you get your population growth projections from?

Does that include under-counting from the last Census?

I looked at 1990 to 2000 data once. We constructed something like 9000 units in the '90s which led to a growth of 18000 overall. I would assume we'd grow more than that (if we constructed about the same number of units), and I have no idea what the GS building and the financial co. bring in terms of residents. 35,000 would be a big game-changing number for us.

Ianmac: I agree with your assessment of Newark; although, I have no idea what foreclosure does to the population of any town. Do people move out. Intuitively, I feel that if you can't make it in Newark, you tend to end up renting there because it tends to be the most affordable place to pick yourself up.

My projection is based on under and uncounted from 2000 plus all that is new since. A windshield survey around the city substantiates such an increase. What could keep it down is that much of what is built is unoccupied.

Posted on: 2010/3/10 18:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ThirdGrove wrote:
Shadow:

I looked at 1990 to 2000 data once. We constructed something like 9000 units in the '90s which led to a growth of 18000 overall. I would assume we'd grow more than that (if we constructed about the same number of units), and I have no idea what the GS building and the financial co. bring in terms of residents. 35,000 would be a big game-changing number for us.

Supposedly Newport was undercounted in the last census, and a greater effort to encourage accurate recording this time around is being made. Foreign born residents may not feel obligated to fill out the census form, which at least superficially, it would seem makes up a large portion of Newport residents. Renters also tend to be more transient, and most of Newport is rentals.

Quote:

Ianmac: I agree with your assessment of Newark; although, I have no idea what foreclosure does to the population of any town. Do people move out. Intuitively, I feel that if you can't make it in Newark, you tend to end up renting there because it tends to be the most affordable place to pick yourself up.

Yes, its hard to say precisely what happens with such a high rate of foreclosure over all. It could make the population more transient and able to move because they are free of their obligation. During the great depression, there was a great population migration in search of jobs, though the same may not hold true today. However, by contrast, home owners who continue to make mortgage payments but owe more than the house is now worth are stuck where ever that house may be. Also, Newark had been sending their indigent to Pennsylvania for a while. So it goes.

Posted on: 2010/3/10 17:58

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/12/8 18:51
From Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Shadow:

Posted on: 2010/3/10 17:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Ultimately Jersey City really needs to be concerned about counting every person within the city's borders. It is entirely possible JC surpasses Newark as New Jersey's largest city for several reasons: the construction boom, fewer foreclosures, and increasing density.

Jersey City certainly added many housing units over the last decade. I count fourteen or fifteen towers in the last five years alone. If they are filled, and the residents report living here, overcoming the population gap with Newark is not nearly as insurmountable.

Newark's subprime mortgage foreclosures had accelerated far faster than Jersey City's, and even Jersey City's most at risk neighborhoods were not seeing as many foreclosures. This probably means more people of Newark than Jersey City have been displaced by foreclosure.

Finally, as housing costs have increased in Jersey City, residents are living more densely in dwellings and property owners have worked to maximize tenancy in their buildings. In some cases of course, illegal apartments have been created where two family houses have become three families or three families have become four and so on. All this means though is more people living within the city, and a greater possibility of surpassing Newark.

I think Newark should be seriously concerned about losing their title of the state's largest city. If nothing else, Jersey City has momentum, and should we fail to surpass Newark this time around, I suspect we'll be the clear winner in another ten years.

Posted on: 2010/3/10 17:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/4/2 20:55
Group:
Registered Users
The fact is much of the waterfront, Paulus Hook to Newport, was'nt built in 2000. A good portion of what was there was'nt counted. Then take into account the remainder of the city, the Beacon etc. and the numbers will swell. Healy was on JC1 recently with a 2010 census organizer, Raul Vicente, and they told the history of the 2000 census. If properly done I estimate a leap in JC's population of 35,000. Keep in mind a significant increase will mean the city must provide services to meet that level for state and national standards e.g. police, fire, medical, schools. The state has sent out overtures that no more financial help is coming from them so it could be the taxpayers will once again be called into service as the city's ATM. But with the fiscal crisis at hand and the looming taxpayer rebellion be prepared for a bumpy ride.

Posted on: 2010/3/10 0:17

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/12/8 18:51
From Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Shadow: Quote:
Move on to clarity.

It?s been quite a long time since this post started and it?s gone through so many ?interesting? turns. My original point stemmed from the fact that Philadelphia and several other cities had did a recount of their population. The Census was off by 93,000 people in Philadelphia and 5,000 in Boulder which is an average error of about 6% for Philly and 5% for the other.

Jersey City has the same issues. I guess my questions would be:

Will we get the numbers right this time?

The population is current projected at 242,000ish (a 1% increase over the 240,000 person count in 2000).
Does anyone think that makes sense with all the new development (Beacon, JSQ, Heights, Newport expansion, Paulus, Historic DT, etc)?

Does anyone think we stand a chance to beat Newark if we get our count right?

As an aside, I hope the topic doesn?t veer off on whether one will answer the census or not, or real estate values, or whether you hate the government. I really just wanted to have a discussion based on experience with census, demographics, and good old fashion civic pride over the prospects of beating the other guy (Newark).

Posted on: 2010/3/9 22:06

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017