Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
146 user(s) are online (133 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 146

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Re: Downtown Jersey City major streets very unsafe and bad access for pedestrians
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Hey that's not fair ! Did anyone swear themselves in at the court because of the parked cars on the corner blocking the view? Was the driver on his cell phone, or did the authorities check to see if there is a cell phone affiliated with the driver and if so was it being used at the time of the incident, this was not an accident. Research discovered that most accidents occur with under-educated drivers, no credentials, and hit & runs. Some auto insurance companies gauge rates upon the driver's education, credit history, and employment, along with other traditional factors. I bet if the driver says "sorry" that should wipe away the tears. I feel bad for the victim of this incident because of the suffering that will be incurred due to stupidity.

Posted on: 2010/9/3 13:23

Re: Downtown Jersey City major streets very unsafe and bad access for pedestrians
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/3/15 16:44
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
I'd recommend immediate ticketing/towing for anyone blocking the view on any Monmouth intersection. And better road calming/marking near the 7th and Monmouth intersection.]

Agreed. I loathe crossing that intersection in my car especially when someone is parked too far up the curb. I always have to gun it after I stop and pray that someone coming down that street isnt doing the same

Posted on: 2010/9/3 13:11
"I try so hard to be myself but I just wind up gettin' drunk." - Jerry Wick

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
Heard from a friend a couple hours ago. Her car was T-boned by a guy who blantantly blew the Stop-Sign at Monmouth and 7th Street. He was driving so fast that he totalled both cars. She seems to be okay (She was wearing a seatbelt) but the a-hole driver was a bloody, albeit walking mess. Cops said the guy had a suspended license and was driving his sister's car. He's on his way to jail.

Monmouth is a rat-run, with very confusing signs. The only stop sign northbound is on 7th. People abuse parking laws, and hinder peoples views without even getting ticketed never mind getting towed.

I'd recommend immediate ticketing/towing for anyone blocking the view on any Monmouth intersection. And better road calming/marking near the 7th and Monmouth intersection.

Posted on: 2010/9/3 2:40

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/10/10 4:22
Group:
Registered Users
I agree with everyone's posts - there are simply too many intersections in downtown JC that are unsafe for pedestrians. There must be traffic calming measures we can use on a case-by-case basis at different intersections. For anyone interested in some of the creative ideas being used for pedestrian safety in NYC and other cities, check out:

www.streetsblog.org and www.streetfilms.org

This film below is particularly interesting, because it deals with a systematic change that could possibly make an entire neighborhood safer:

http://www.streetfilms.org/no-need-fo ... plenty-for-us/#more-48003

Posted on: 2010/9/3 1:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
Heard from a friend a couple hours ago. Her car was T-boned by a guy who blantantly blew the Stop-Sign at Monmouth and 7th Street. He was driving so fast that he totalled both cars. She seems to be okay (She was wearing a seatbelt) but the a-hole driver was a bloody, albeit walking mess. Cops said the guy had a suspended license and was driving his sister's car. He's on his way to jail.

The guy admitted running the Stop-Sign on purpose. Amazing that there are people with such an attitude flying down our streets everyday. Hope this douche-bag gets the book thrown at him. Thought he'd be cute and now he's facing major jail time with his busted face.

Posted on: 2010/9/3 0:38

Re: Pedestrians have the right of way. NOT in Jersey City.
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/7/12 21:26
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Crazy_Chester wrote:
It would be helpful if we didn't have to manually activate the pedestrian crosswalk signs at many corners. If the sign says "Don't Walk" even though traffic is stopped in your favor, most drivers think they have the right to turn in front of you.

Quote:

alanwright wrote:
Sometimes pedestrians do deserve it... like when it's the national sport!

Resized Image

The signs should read *How fast you move, determines, how long you live*.

Posted on: 2010/9/2 22:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned

Posted on: 2010/9/2 18:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/5 23:09
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

BrightGirl wrote:
Even crossing at Columbus and Grove, which has functioning traffic lights and pedestrian walk signals, is a major hazard. The left turners going south and right turners facing north both aggressively turn onto Columbus heading east while the walk sign is on, especially NJ Transit buses and the various transportation vans.

I've often wish I had a lump of coal or hard rocks in my pocket to through at their windshields.

Seriously, I almost sh*t my pants every time I have to cross there. It's awful and the Buses/Dollar Vans are the worst offenders.

Posted on: 2010/3/8 19:32

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/4/25 17:45
Group:
Registered Users
I couldn't agree more rayvjr64. I cross Bergen at Sip every morning, and it's frightening. My boyfriend and I were just talking about how that is the most dangerous intersection we have ever seen. And Sip and Summit isn't much better. I can't say how many times I've pointed to the walk sign while a motorist makes a right turn without stopping right in front of me.

Jersey drivers just don't get it.

Posted on: 2010/3/7 23:57

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/3/19 21:21
Group:
Registered Users
I hate when people don't stop for pedestrians in the crosswalk. Since when did getting someplace become more important then the people walking in the street. Some corners are worse then others, if you have ever tried to cross by the 711 at Bergen and Sip then you know you are taking your life into your own hands everytime you cross! I'm a grown man and I am terrified everytime my 14 year heads out of the house!

Posted on: 2010/3/7 23:53

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/5/12 21:06
Group:
Registered Users
you don't know how many times a day I see so many opportunities for cops to give tickets to drivers breaking the law (as the cops chill on the sidewalk) you want to increase revenue, try enforcing the law! I feel so unsafe walking in Jersey City. Somerville NJ did a great campaign for pedestrian safety some years back that makes cars actually slow down in what was once downtown, maybe something similar should be implemented here.

Posted on: 2010/3/5 4:10

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/8/5 3:34
Group:
Registered Users
I wish I could videotape it, I might try. As for throwing things at the aholes speeding through the intersections...that would be great fun! We should meet up to decide what objects might work best...I'm thinking kill 2 birds with one stone: use the dog poo no one bothers to pick up at the speeding cars.

Posted on: 2010/3/5 1:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
It would be great if people would start videotaping the various intersections and posting them here.

Posted on: 2010/3/4 23:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/9/17 18:39
Group:
Registered Users
The one I detest the most is Grand and Jersey Avenue. I was going to visit a friend at Medical Center and crossing there is nuts. I called it " The Corner of Death". At least you are across from the hospital should you be struck. The moment the crosswalk light allows you to cross, BAM, 18, 000 cars are trying to run you down. WHEWWWW. That corner is NUTS

Posted on: 2010/3/4 22:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/11 14:53
Group:
Registered Users
I agree, the intersection at Pavonia & Monmouth is atrocious. I live on Pavonia between Monmouth and Brunswick and have to cross this all the time. The intersection by Basic is bad too. I've been driven off the road numerous times by impatient drivers. It's frustrating for me, but for someone who might have children, carrying a heavy load, or the elderly, it's really intimidating to have a 2 ton chunk of metal encroaching, or even barreling down on you.

Posted on: 2010/3/4 22:39

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/10/19 17:37
Group:
Registered Users
Even crossing at Columbus and Grove, which has functioning traffic lights and pedestrian walk signals, is a major hazard. The left turners going south and right turners facing north both aggressively turn onto Columbus heading east while the walk sign is on, especially NJ Transit buses and the various transportation vans.

I've often wish I had a lump of coal or hard rocks in my pocket to through at their windshields.

Posted on: 2010/3/4 22:05

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/4/4 15:32
Group:
Registered Users
I will stand out there with you!

Posted on: 2010/3/4 21:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/10 14:50
From hamilton park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

trambone wrote:
Quote:

linky wrote:
Quote:

disportus wrote:
What about the free for all that is Monmouth St? They put up a giant "Stop for Peds" at Pavonia and Monmouth but when you are going 50mph I suppose it is difficult to see the sign? I actually point at the sign as people blow past it on their way to the Tunnel or Hoboken and surprise surprise they do not stop. I actually had a woman in a white Jeep Cherokee flip me off as she sped past myself and about 6 kids waiting to cross. Always keeping things classy. Giant trucks, constant sirens and crazy drivers make Monmouth miserable. Try loading kids into a car on Monmouth or 9th without some ahole laying on the horn.

This is one of the worst corners, and it's a problem because that park is right there. Once i was trying to cross with my two little girls and their scooters. Car after car just kept going. One of them was a pair of cops who looked at us lazily and just kept going. I pointed at the sign and yelled in the window, " Thanks Officers!". They just kept going without batting an eye. Doesn't really matter to them because their kids live on a cul-de-sac in Howell.

Its not a real stop sign though. The only real one before that is like on 6th.

stop sign or not, they're required to STOP for pedestrians, I've stood patiently at that corner waiting for a break in traffic before and the drivers are complete assholes, I've also been flipped off by more than one when I point out the pedestrian crossing sign as well. I'm going to start carrying dead batteries to throw at these cars that can't manage to let pedestrians cross and then we'll see who has the last laugh.

Posted on: 2010/3/4 20:45
utterly deplorable

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/30 16:48
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

linky wrote:
Quote:

disportus wrote:
What about the free for all that is Monmouth St? They put up a giant "Stop for Peds" at Pavonia and Monmouth but when you are going 50mph I suppose it is difficult to see the sign? I actually point at the sign as people blow past it on their way to the Tunnel or Hoboken and surprise surprise they do not stop. I actually had a woman in a white Jeep Cherokee flip me off as she sped past myself and about 6 kids waiting to cross. Always keeping things classy. Giant trucks, constant sirens and crazy drivers make Monmouth miserable. Try loading kids into a car on Monmouth or 9th without some ahole laying on the horn.

This is one of the worst corners, and it's a problem because that park is right there. Once i was trying to cross with my two little girls and their scooters. Car after car just kept going. One of them was a pair of cops who looked at us lazily and just kept going. I pointed at the sign and yelled in the window, " Thanks Officers!". They just kept going without batting an eye. Doesn't really matter to them because their kids live on a cul-de-sac in Howell.

Its not a real stop sign though. The only real one before that is like on 6th.

Posted on: 2010/3/4 20:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/8/9 20:03
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

disportus wrote:

Posted on: 2010/3/4 20:30

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/8/5 3:34
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2010/3/4 19:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Has anyone else noticed that certain local companies like Truchan Bro's. Towing and United Water feel they have the right to drive as fast as they want and ignore Stop-Signs? I would encourage people to call any businesses whose vehicles you see driving recklessly on our streets. I have done this a few times. In the past I have seen Domino's drivers and a guy from It's Greek to Me driving like morons. I have also seen School bus drivers racing around the area. Yesterday a guy from Bayonne Roofing decided to use Pavonia Ave. as a drag-strip. If they want to drive around advertising their phone numbers then let's give them a call! Also, please report and embarrass them here on JC List.

Posted on: 2010/3/4 15:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/7/1 19:35
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
From Steve Fulop's email today:

Crosswalks & Street Paving
My office keeps a running list of street paving requests. While we do not have final say in which streets get paved, we do like to hand in a list of constituent requests to the Engineering division, which then looks at these streets to determine priority and funding. They have recently added a similar policy for crosswalks, so we are now keeping a running list of crosswalks in need of repair. Crosswalks in school zones take priority.

Streets last approximately 12 years before needing repaving and crosswalks 3 to 5 years. Let us know if you have a street or crosswalk that you believe needs repaving, and we will include it in our list for Engineering.

We are still waiting on the list of streets to be milled and paved. The list will come out shortly after it has been determined how much money from this year's budget will be allocated to roads.

How about some sidewalks installed and/or repaired in the Powerhouse warehouse district? I'm getting tired of walking my dog in the streets and stepping in potholes, dodging cars.

And the parking lots push their capacity, parking on the remaining sidewalks and not clearing the snow efficiently either.

Posted on: 2010/2/23 18:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
From Steve Fulop's email today:

Crosswalks & Street Paving
My office keeps a running list of street paving requests. While we do not have final say in which streets get paved, we do like to hand in a list of constituent requests to the Engineering division, which then looks at these streets to determine priority and funding. They have recently added a similar policy for crosswalks, so we are now keeping a running list of crosswalks in need of repair. Crosswalks in school zones take priority.

Streets last approximately 12 years before needing repaving and crosswalks 3 to 5 years. Let us know if you have a street or crosswalk that you believe needs repaving, and we will include it in our list for Engineering.

We are still waiting on the list of streets to be milled and paved. The list will come out shortly after it has been determined how much money from this year's budget will be allocated to roads.

Posted on: 2010/2/23 15:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
I was delighted to see a speed trap this morning near the Newport Mall for cars that come flying down the Mall Rd. by Sears. The cops were pulling in quite a haul. Good Job JCPD!

Posted on: 2009/7/20 21:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/10/27 13:13
From The fog.
Group:
Registered Users
Or "Good Luck"

Posted on: 2009/6/16 20:00

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/15 11:24
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

It would be helpful if we didn't have to manually activate the pedestrian crosswalk signs at many corners. If the sign says "Don't Walk" even though traffic is stopped in your favor, most drivers think they have the right to turn in front of you.

Instead it should read "Walk at your own risk"

Posted on: 2009/6/16 19:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/10/2 20:19
Group:
Registered Users
Sometimes pedestrians do deserve it... like when it's the national sport!

Resized Image

Posted on: 2009/6/16 19:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/10/27 13:13
From The fog.
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2009/6/16 18:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/25 20:40
From somewhere else
Group:
Registered Users
Then again, sometimes the pedestrian deserves it. I mean - look at that dress!

Resized Image

Posted on: 2009/6/16 18:24

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017