Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
115 user(s) are online (103 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 115

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: Heights/ Ringside Lounge: Man killed by a bullet to his forehead while playing cards in back room
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Ortiz sounds like a sookie la la thug / convict by crying in court.

Posted on: 2013/4/23 0:14
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Re: Heights/ Ringside Lounge: Man killed by a bullet to his forehead while playing cards in back room
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/26 22:12
Group:
Registered Users
Killer sentenced to 21 years for 2009 shooting at Ringside in Jersey City

By Charles Hack/The Jersey Journal
April 22, 2013 at 1:32 PM

A Jersey City man was sentenced to 21 years for the fatal shooting a 23-year-old Irvington man inside a Jersey City's Ringside Lounge bar in 2009.

Miguel "Migs" Ortiz, 29, was sentenced Friday to 21 years by Hudson County Superior Court Judge Lisa Rose. He must serve at least 85 percent of his sentence before he eligible for parole.

Assistant Prosecutor John Mulkeen had asked the court for Ortiz be sentenced to 23 years in prison for the killing and 10 years for the aggravated assault, with the sentences running concurrent.

Authorities said Adrian Gerena, 23, was playing cards in a back room at the Tonnelle Avenue bar on Dec. 30, 2009, when Ortiz walked in and shot him three times, including once in the forehead, and another man in the arm.

Ortiz was arrested in Brooklyn, N.Y., a week after the fatal shooting, which police said was the result of a previous fight in Downtown Jersey City.

Ortiz, who authorities say is a member of the Latin Kings street gang, wept when he pleaded guilty last month to aggravated manslaughter of Gerena and the aggravated assault of the second man.

Ortiz also pleaded guilty to possessing a cell phone while incarcerated at Hudson County jail seven months after the shooting.

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... years_i.html#incart_river

Posted on: 2013/4/22 18:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Jersey City's Ringside Lounge will host blood drive on Saturday for 8-year-old boy fighting for his life against rare bone marrow problem

Thursday, November 04, 2010
By ASHLEY STRAIN
JOURNAL STAFF WRITER

Ricky Roman was a healthy, 8-year-old boy who played Little League baseball and loved boxing.

But about two months ago, his mother, Amelia Roman, noticed the Jersey City boy's eyes looked yellow. A blood test at the doctor's office revealed Ricky had aplastic anemia.

"Aplastic anemia is a condition in which the bone marrow stops producing white blood cells, red blood cells, and platelets," said Dr. Raphael Barilari, Roman's doctor at St. Joseph's Children's Hospital in Paterson.

"All of this can lead to complications in the immune system, making it hard to fight off infections, or can make the patient exhausted and result in spontaneous bleeding and bruising."

Aplastic anemia is a relatively rare and life-threatening illness, according to Dr. Willis Navarro, medical director of the National Marrow Donor Program.

Treatments for the condition consist of blood transfusions or a bone marrow transplant. But in order to carry out these procedures, doctors need to find a matching donor for each patient.

Mario Costa, the owner of the Ringside Bar and Lounge in Jersey City and Roman's godfather, is trying to help the School 8 student find a matching bone marrow donor.

The Ringside, at Tonnelle and Manhattan avenues, will host a blood drive this Saturday from noon to 6 p.m. The Blood Center of New Jersey will collect blood for Ricky and other aplastic anemia patients.

Donors can also agree to take a non-invasive oral swab test to find Ricky a matching bone marrow donor.

"There are 8 million donors in our database," said Navarro. "But we always need more donors because some tissue types or genetic codes are more rare. For those rare types, finding a match is extremely hard."

Aplastic anemia is a serious condition that leaves its patients defenseless against even the most common illnesses.

"When we visit Ricky we have to put on masks and sanitize because his room is sterile so he doesn't get sick," Costa said. "This is a serious issue, and we encourage as many people as possible to come out and participate in the blood drive."

Posted on: 2010/11/4 16:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Mike Tyson at the Ringside Lounge

October 27, 2010 by Reena Rose Sibayan

Resized Image

Mike Tyson being interviewed about his upcoming reality TV show on Animal Planet, "Taking on Tyson," with his friend, bar owner Mario Costa, right, at Tyson's Corner, the coop for his racing pigeons, behind the Ringside Lounge in Jersey City on Wednesday, Oct. 27, 2010.

Resized Image

Resized Image

Resized Image

Resized Image

Resized Image

Resized Image

http://photos.nj.com/jersey-journal/2 ... _at_the_ringside_lou.html

Posted on: 2010/10/28 14:35

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/12/16 23:23
From Greenville
Group:
Registered Users
Security guards need to do their job. It needs to get stricter.

I personally love Ringside, and not afraid to go there.

Posted on: 2010/4/12 14:27

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/10/25 16:31
Group:
Registered Users
When are they going to shut this place down? I know of another murder in that place FIVE YEARS AGO, still "unsolved" (despite having video footage). And I'm sure there have been many, many more.

Posted on: 2010/4/11 14:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Suspect in Ringside Lounge murder in December makes first appearance in Jersey City court

By Michaelangelo Conte/The Jersey Journal
April 10, 2010, 7:00AM

Resized Image
Miguel Ortiz during his arraignment at County Judicial Prosecuting in Jersey City yesterday.

The reputed Latin Kings gang member charged with murdering a man in Jersey City's Ringside Lounge was extradited to Hudson County after being held in Rikers Island following his arrest in Brooklyn.

Miguel "Migs" Ortiz, 25, of Fairmount Avenue in Jersey City, was arrested on Jan. 9 and charged with shooting Adrian Gerena, 23, of Irvington, in the forehead and chest on Dec. 30 in the Ringside, located at Tonnelle and Manhattan avenues.

Ortiz made his first appearance on the murder charge in Central Judicial Processing Court in Jersey City yesterday afternoon and was then remanded to the Hudson County Jail in Kearny where he is being held on a $1 million cash only bail.

Felix Y. Rodriguez, 28, of Kennedy Boulevard in Jersey City, was arrested on Jan. 7 and charged with unlawful possession of a weapon, possession of a weapon by a felon, and hindering the apprehension of Ortiz, officials said at the time. Officials say Rodriguez was in the bar when Ortiz showed up just before midnight and officials allege he was Ortiz's accomplice.

The pair walked to where Gerena and another man were playing cards and after a brief argument Ortiz opened fire, killing Gerena and wounding the other man, officials said. The murder was the result of a previous fight in Downtown Jersey City, Hudson County Prosecutor Edward DeFazio said.

Ortiz was in prison from Oct. 17, 2003 to Oct. 6, 2005 and Sept. 11, 2006 to April 8, 2009 for drug and weapons offenses, and two counts of aggravated assault, officials said.

Posted on: 2010/4/11 9:10

Re: Former heavyweight boxer Mike Tyson visits Ringside Tavern to support owner against shutdown
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Mike Tyson a no-show at Ringside hearing in Jersey City

By The Jersey Journal
February 03, 2010, 10:43PM

Former heavyweight champion Mike Tyson appeared at the Ringside Lounge in Jersey City this afternoon to show his support for owner Mario Costa, not pictured. But he didn't show up at the ABC meeting tonight where he said he would testify on the bar's behalf.

The self-proclaimed "baddest man on the planet" was a no-show tonight when it came to standing up for his longtime chum at a meeting of the Alcohol Beverage Control board in Jersey City.

Earlier today, former heavyweight boxing champ Mike Tyson was holding court at the Ringside Bar and Lounge on Tonnelle Avenue, telling everyone he planned to attend the City Hall hearing to tell board members what a great guy Mario Costa, the owner of the Ringside, is.

The city is seeking to shut down the bar for a period of time in the wake a murder there Dec. 30 -- the second since 2004.

"Mario is like my brother," Tyson said of Costa. "I've known him since '83, '84. I trained here. I lived here. He's always fed me, he's always taken care of me. I want to be here for him too."

But at the 5 p.m. meeting, Tyson, who sports a tribal face tattoo, was nowhere to be found.

The Brooklyn native who recently filmed a documentary about his life and appears in the film "Hangover," couldn't be reached to explain his disappearing act.

Prior to the meeting, city officials said they were seeking to shut down Ringside for 40 days, the maximum penalty they could extract given the applicable ordinance.

But by the time the board met, Costa and city officials had reached another arrangement.

Beginning Feb. 14, the bar/lounge will be closed for 18 consecutive Sundays.

During this period, the bar will close at midnight every other day as opposed to its normal 2 a.m. closing time, city spokesman Stan H. Eason said.

The hours the establishment will be closed adds up to the equivalent of 32 days, Eason said.

The ABC board unanimously approved the arrangement.
On Dec. 30, Adrian Gerena of Irvington was shot and killed at the bar in what police at last night's hearing called a "hit."

"It was my belief that this hit was meant to occur whether it was in the Dunkin' Donuts across the street or Mr. Costa's bar, where this gentleman was. The hit would have occurred," Police Detective Ed Dolan said.

On Dec. 16, 2004, rap mogul Robert "Tito" Montanez, was shot twice in the chest in the bar's parking lot and later died.

And on Sept. 9, 2006, there was gunfire in the bar's parking lot and police recovered a number of 9mm shells.
Based on his earlier comments, Tyson, who keeps pigeons behind Ringside, probably would have told the board Costa isn't to blame.

"Look at the track record," Tyson said. "(Costa) has never been linked to or involved with any of the incidents that took place here.

"He's a good man," he added. "Bad things happen to good people, and even happen in good places."

Posted on: 2010/2/4 9:27

Former heavyweight boxer Mike Tyson visits Ringside Tavern to support owner against shutdown
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Former heavyweight boxer Mike Tyson visits Jersey City to support local bar owner against shutdown

By Gem Jefferson/The Jersey Journal
February 03, 2010, 3:00PM

Resized Image

Mike Tyson was at the Ringside Tavern on Tonnelle Avenue in Jersey City this afternoon to support owner Mario Costa, left. Jersey City wants to temporarily shut down Costa's bar. He said he intends to attend the ABC meeting tonight.
The self-proclaimed "baddest man on the planet" is in Jersey City -- and he plans to go a round with the city's ABC board this afternoon.

Former heavyweight champion boxer Mike Tyson appeared at the Ringside Tavern on Tonnelle Avenue in Jersey City to support its owner, Mario Costa, in Costa's battle to keep the city from shutting down the bar for 40 days. The city wants to bar shut down temporarily in the wake of a murder there Dec. 30.

"Mario is like my brother," Tyson said of Costa. "I've known him since '83, 84. I trained here. I lived here. He's always fed me, he's always taken care of me. I want to be here for him too.

"I'm one of the most successful fighters in the world, and I learned here for free. He never asked me for a dime and never made me feel like owe him a thing," Tyson added.

Tyson, who said he is moving to Saddle River from Las Vegas, said he will also appear at the Alcoholic Beverage Commission meeting this afternoon at 5, where the Ringside will be discussed.

"Look at the track record. [Costa] never been linked to or involved with any of the incidents that took place here," Tyson said. "He's a good man. Bad things happen to good people, and even happen in good places."

Costa said the increase in incidents at the bar is because of the increase of illegal guns on the streets.

"The most recent incident, I didn't know the guy. He walked in here at 11:06, fired his gun and walked about by 11:08," Costa said. "He was in here for a total of one minute and 48 seconds. What could anyone have done about that?"

"Iron Mike," who trained in the gym next door where Arturo Gatti also trained, has a lot of history with Costa and the bar, in and out of the ring. Tyson's pigeons are tended to by Costa in a coop behind the building. The pigeons will be more popular in April when Animal Planet plans to do a show about them racing against other birds.

Tyson has high praise for Costa, "For most fighters, when the party's over, you're over," Tyson said. "But when I was thrown to the curb, when I was in jail, he never stopped calling, never stopped visiting and never stopped supporting me. That's why I'm here today and will always be here."

More pictures
http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... st_man_on_the_planet.html

Posted on: 2010/2/4 3:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/26 19:42
From Chilltown, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

icechute wrote:

Two murders? Not enough incidents?

What am I missing here?

What are the casualty figures required before it becomes "a nuisance"?

How could they have honestly been prevented? In order for a place to be deemed a nuisance it has to constantly have incidents not a couple shootings that could not be prevented and a few fights.

If someone decided to murder someone in any other bar in the city should that bar be closed down even if it couldn't prevent the murder?

Quote:

LoKo498 wrote:
No bouncers or metal detectors there to check for guns or weapons while going in there?

They have bouncers and do pat downs but only on weekends. Very few bars do pat downs or have bouncers in the first place in this city and the few that do, do not pat down on week nights. The recent murder occurred on a week night and the one before that in a parking lot. So how could of Ringside prevented this? Better question what percentage of bars could have prevented a murder during the week and should get the blame for it?

Quote:

Bago wrote:
This is another reason why our city officials get no respect. . .dumb decisions. SET AN EXAMPLE!!! If you want to start cleaning up this city start by taking out the garbage first.

Their is no good reason to close this place down the fact you do not like Ringside is not a good enough reason. Closing it will not prevent any violence just move it to another bar.

The murder is not the fault of Ringside.

Posted on: 2010/2/4 0:55

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/11/25 14:47
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
There you go! Looks like garbage stay's.

Posted on: 2010/2/3 17:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/1/3 6:32
Group:
Registered Users
Ringside owner is a contributor to Healy's Campaigns.

Quote:

icechute wrote:
Healy's city: Two murders; bar remains open.

Guiliani's city: Bare nipple showing; place gets shut down.

Posted on: 2010/2/3 17:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/9/28 17:36
Group:
Banned
Healy's city: Two murders; bar remains open.

Guiliani's city: Bare nipple showing; place gets shut down.

Posted on: 2010/2/3 15:17

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/11/25 14:47
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
This is another reason why our city officials get no respect. . .dumb decisions. SET AN EXAMPLE!!! If you want to start cleaning up this city start by taking out the garbage first.

Posted on: 2010/2/3 15:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/9/28 17:36
Group:
Banned
Quote:
Jersey City officials are seeking to temporarily shut down the Ringside Bar and Lounge on Tonnelle Avenue, which has had two murders on its premises since 2004, the most recent on Dec. 30, officials announced today.

In addition, on Sept. 9, 2006, there was gunfire in the Ringside parking lot at about 2:20 a.m. When police arrived they dispersed a large crowd and recovered a number of 9mm shell casings from the area, reports said.

Quote:
City officials do not believe the establishment can be shut permanently at this point. "After an extensive investigation, and in consultation with the city attorneys and the Hudson County Prosecutor, the ABC Unit of the JCPD is unable to sustain a nuisance charge against the Ringside,"

Police Chief Tom Comey said in the release. In order to shut down the bar, the establishment would have to deemed a "public nuisance," and there hasn't been enough incidents to qualify for that designation, officials said.

Two murders? Not enough incidents?

What am I missing here?

What are the casualty figures required before it becomes "a nuisance"?

Posted on: 2010/2/3 14:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/5/23 10:53
Group:
Registered Users
No bouncers or metal detectors there to check for guns or weapons while going in there?

Posted on: 2010/2/3 14:02

Re: Heights/ Ringside Lounge: Man killed by a bullet to his forehead while playing cards in back roo
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Resized Image
Jersey City officials seek to temporarily shut Ringside bar where recent murder occurred

By Amy Sara Clark/The Jersey Journal
February 02, 2010, 8:28PM

The Ringside sports bar on Tonnelle Avenue in Jersey City where one man was injured and another died in a hail of bullets on Dec. 30, 2009.

Jersey City officials are seeking to temporarily shut down the Ringside Bar and Lounge on Tonnelle Avenue, which has had two murders on its premises since 2004, the most recent on Dec. 30, officials announced today.

City officials will ask the Alcohol Beverage Control board at its meeting tonight to close the bar, located at 475 Tonnelle Ave., for 40 days, the maximum penalty the board can give.

"This action has been reviewed and deemed necessary to ensure the safety and security of the residents of this area and the patrons of this establishment," Mayor Jerramiah T. Healy said in a news release

The most recent murder occurred on Dec. 30, when Adrian Gerena, 23, of Irvington, was shot and killed inside the bar and a second man was wounded.

Miguel Ortiz, 25, has been charged with the shooting.

The second murder occurred Dec. 16, 2004, when rap promoter Robert "Tito" Montanez, 31, of Jersey City, was shot twice in the chest in the parking lot of the Ringside and later died.

In addition, on Sept. 9, 2006, there was gunfire in the Ringside parking lot at about 2:20 a.m. When police arrived they dispersed a large crowd and recovered a number of 9mm shell casings from the area, reports said.

Ringside owner Mario Costa didn't return phone calls seeking comment.

City officials do not believe the establishment can be shut permanently at this points.

"After an extensive investigation, and in consultation with the city attorneys and the Hudson County Prosecutor, the ABC Unit of the JCPD is unable to sustain a nuisance charge against the Ringside," Police Chief Tom Comey said in the release.

In order to shut down the bar, the establishment would have to deemed a "public nuisance," and there hasn't been enough incidents to qualify for that designation, officials said.

Posted on: 2010/2/3 13:50

Re: Heights/ Ringside Lounge: Man killed by a bullet to his forehead while playing cards in back roo
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Resized Image

No bail for Ortiz; says he'll fight extradition

Saturday, January 09, 2010
By AMY SARA CLARK AND MICHAELANGELO CONTE
JOURNAL STAFF WRITERS

The reputed gang member charged with murdering a man in Jersey City's Ringside Lounge was denied bail at his arraignment Thursday in a Brooklyn courtroom and will remain at Rikers Island until his extradition hearing.

Miguel "Migs" Ortiz, 25, of Fairmount Avenue in Jersey City, said at the arraignment that he will fight extradition to New Jersey and no date for the extradition hearing has been set, Hudson County Prosecutor Edward DeFazio said.

Ortiz - a Latin Kings street gang member, according to authorities - was apprehended by officials in Brooklyn Thursday morning as the result of a coordinated effort by law enforcement agencies on both sides of the Hudson.

He is charged with shooting Adrian Gerena, 23, of Irvington, in the forehead and chest on Dec. 30 in the back bar area of the Ringside, located at Tonnelle and Manhattan avenues.

Felix Y. Rodriguez, 28, of Kennedy Boulevard in Jersey City, was arrested at his residence Tuesday night. Police say he was Ortiz' accomplice in the killing.

Rodriguez is charged with unlawful possession of a weapon, possession of a weapon by a felon, and hindering the apprehension of Ortiz. DeFazio has said Rodriguez was already in the bar when Ortiz showed up shortly before midnight.

The pair walked to the area where Gerena and another man were playing cards and after a brief argument Ortiz opened fire, killing Gerena and wounding the other man, and Gerena was pronounced dead at the Jersey City Medical Center a short time later, the prosecutor has said. The murder was the result of a previous fight in Downtown Jersey City, DeFazio said.

After the shooting, Ortiz and Rodriguez left the bar and were driven away by a third person, who has not been charged with any crimes, DeFazio said.

Ortiz was in prison from Oct. 17, 2003 to Oct. 6, 2005 and Sept. 11, 2006 to April 8, 2009 for drug and weapons offenses, and two counts of aggravated assault, officials said.

Gerena was locked up from April 27, 2007 to Aug. 10, 2009 for drug possession and possession with intent to distribute within 1,000 feet of school property, officials said.

Rodriguez has never done state time, but he has been incarcerated in the Hudson County jail in Kearny for eluding police, a weapons offense, and three drug convictions, officials said.

The second victim, who has been identified only as a 34-year-old Jersey City man, was wounded in the arm and has since been released from the hospital, DeFazio said.

Posted on: 2010/1/9 11:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Resized Image

Jersey City Ringside Lounge murder suspect arrested in Brooklyn, ID'd as Latin King

By Michaelangelo Conte
The Jersey Journal
January 07, 2010

Michael Ortiz of Jersey City, seen in a recent mugshot, was arrested in Brooklyn early this morning on charges he shot and killed a man at the Ringside Lounge in Jersey City last week.

The suspect in the Jersey City Ringside Lounge murder was arrested in Brooklyn early this morning in a coordinated effort by law enforcement agencies on both sides of the Hudson, officials said.

Miguel Ortiz, 25, of Fairmount Avenue in Jersey City, has been identified, meanwhile, as a member of the Latin Kings, Hudson County Prosecutor Edward DeFazio said.

"This was an extremely critical investigation and an excellent example of inter-agency cooperation," DeFazio said of the 4 a.m. bust. "It was a brazen incident. Thank God, no one was injured apprehending this dangerous defendant."

Ortiz is charged with shooting Adrian Gerena, 23, of Irvington, in the forehead and chest on Dec. 30 in the back bar area of the Ringside, located at Tonnelle and Manhattan avenues.

Officers tracking Ortiz were in the hallway outside a woman's apartment on Pitkin Avenue this morning based on information gathered by DeFazio's office, New Jersey State Police and Jersey City and New York City police.

Ortiz may have heard something and when he opened the apartment door to take a look, the officers brought him down and cuffed him, DeFazio said.

The woman living in the Brooklyn apartment where Ortiz was hiding was not arrested and DeFazio said it appears she was not aware he was wanted.

Ortiz's alleged accomplice, 28-year-old Felix Y. Rodriguez, of Kennedy Boulevard in Jersey City, was arrested at his residence Tuesday night by the U.S. Marshals New York/New Jersey Fugitive Task Force, DeFazio said yesterday. Rodriguez is charged with unlawful possession of a weapon, possession of a weapon by a felon, and hindering the apprehension of Ortiz.

The prosecutor said Rodriguez was already in the bar when Ortiz showed up not long before midnight on the night of the killing. The pair walked to the area where Gerena -- a former Jersey City resident -- and another man were playing cards, and after a brief argument Ortiz opened fire, killing Gerena and wounding the second man, DeFazio said.

Gerena was pronounced dead at the Jersey City Medical Center a short time later.

Police say the murder was the result of a previous fight in Downtown Jersey City, and DeFazio said both victims may have been targeted.

After the shooting, Ortiz and Rodriguez left the bar and were driven away by a third person, said DeFazio, who noted that the driver has been identified and has not been charged.

Ortiz was in prison from Oct. 17, 2003 to Oct. 6, 2005 and Sept. 11, 2006 to April 8, 2009 for drug and weapons offenses, and two counts of aggravated assault, officials said. Gerena was locked up from April 27, 2007 to Aug. 10, 2009 for drug possession and possession with intent to distribute within 1,000 feet of school property, officials said.

Rodriguez has never done state time, but he has been incarcerated in the Hudson County jail in Kearny for three drug convictions, a weapons offense and for eluding police, officials said.

DeFazio has asked the Jersey City Police Department's Alcoholic Beverage Control Board to look into the Ringside to determine if the numerous violent incidents there make it a nuisance to the community. The ABC board is reviewing all calls for police service at the bar and are expected to have an update on the investigation later today, a police spokesman said.

Ortiz will appear in court in New York and will have the opportunity to waive extradition back to New Jersey or fight to remain in New York.

Anyone with additional information on the murder is asked to call the Hudson County Prosecutor's Office's Homicide Squad at (201) 915-1345.

===============================

Calling for ABC action

Saturday, January 02, 2010

The county's highest ranking law enforcement official says the Ringside Lounge has been the scene of too much violence.

"It's time for the Jersey City Alcoholic Beverage Control Board to take appropriate measures - it's overdue," Hudson County Prosecutor Edward DeFazio said Thursday.

"Based on the number of calls for (police) service due to violence at that location, the Ringside Lounge could be considered a nuisance."

On Dec. 16, 2004, rap promoter Robert "Tito" Montanez, 31, of Jersey City, was shot twice in the chest in the parking lot of the Ringside and later died.

Another incident involving gunfire occurred on Sept. 9, 2006 in the Ringside parking lot at about 2:20 a.m. When police arrived they dispersed a large crowd and recovered a number of 9mm shell casings from the area, reports said.

Standing behind the bar Thursday evening, Ringside Lounge owner Mario Costa said he had no comment on the murder.

MICHAELANGELO CONTE

Posted on: 2010/1/8 14:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Resized Image
Accomplice in Jersey City Ringside Lounge murder is arrested, police say

January 06, 2010, 1:41PM

Felix Y. Rodriguez of Jersey City has been arrested as being with suspected murderer Miguel Ortiz during the slaying at the Ringside Lounge in Jersey City last Wednesday.
A Jersey City man has been arrested in connection to the murder of an Irvington man inside the Ringside Lounge last week, but the accused gunman is still at large, officials said.

Felix Y. Rodriguez, 28, was arrested at his Kennedy Boulevard residence in the Heights last night by members of the U.S. Marshals New York/New Jersey Fugitive Task Force, according to Hudson County Prosecutor Edward DeFazio.

Rodriguez is charged with unlawful possession of a weapon, possession of a weapon by a felon, and hindering the apprehension of Miguel Ortiz, 25, of Fairmont Avenue in Jersey City.

Ortiz is charged with killing former Jersey City resident Adrian Gerena, 23, on Dec. 30 in the back bar area of the Ringside, located at Tonnelle and Manhattan avenues, DeFazio said.

DeFazio said today that Rodriguez was already in the bar when Ortiz showed up not long before midnight and the pair then walked to the area where Gerena and another man were playing cards. There was a brief argument and Ortiz opened fire, killing Gerena and wounding the second man, DeFazio said. A short time later Gerena was pronounced dead at the Jersey City Medical Center, officials said.

Homicide detectives say the shooting was the result of on a previous fight in Downtown Jersey City and DeFazio said both victims may have been targeted.

"We are trying to ascertain the extent of contact between Rodriguez and Ortiz prior to the attack," DeFazio said.

After the shooting Ortiz and Rodriguez left the bar and were driven away by a third person, said DeFazio, who noted that the driver has been identified.

The charges against Rodriguez include allegations he provided Ortiz with transportation, money and/or other means of avoiding arrest.

The complaint signed by Hudson County Superior Court Judge Kevin Callahan yesterday afternoon also says Rodriguez wiped fingerprints off the gun allegedly used by Ortiz.

The prosecutor said the gun has not been recovered and he would not say to whom it belonged.

Homicide investigators "had reason to believe" Ortiz was in Jersey City yesterday and they responded to several locations looking for him but came up empty-handed, DeFazio said.

Ortiz was in prison from Oct. 17, 2003 to Oct. 6, 2005 and Sept. 11, 2006 to April 8, 2009 for drug and weapons offenses, and two counts of aggravated assault, officials said. Gerena was locked up from April 27, 2007 to Aug. 10, 2009 for drug possession and drug possession with intent to distribute within 1,000 feet of school property, officials said.

Rodriguez' bail has been set at $250,000 cash only, the prosecutor said.

Ortiz should be considered armed and dangerous. Anyone with information on his whereabouts is asked to call the Hudson County Prosecutor's Offices' Homicide Squad at (201) 915-1345.

Posted on: 2010/1/7 17:07

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/5/14 20:20
From Chilltown Baby!
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

GrovePath wrote:
Don't know that film - are you sure you're not thinking of Road House with Patrick Swayze?

Quote:

phDog wrote:
its like Foxes II

Foxes isn't a film...phdog means that its like the old Foxes nightclub... I personallly used to be a bouncer at Foxes and phdog has it right on the money...The bad thing is that Ringside is actually a lot worse. Everytime someone tells me they are going there i plead with them not to. I know so many stories its ridiculous. Its unbelievalble that only now is a spotlight being put on them.

Posted on: 2010/1/5 13:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
He is considered armed and dangerous... The prosecutor said the motive for the murder appears to be revenge for a previous fight that took place in Downtown Jersey City and may be gang-related.
=========================================
Officials release mugshot of Jersey City suspect in Ringside Lounge shooting death

January 04, 2010, 12:34PM

Resized Image
Miguel Ortiz of Jersey City, seen in a recent mugshot, is wanted in the fatal shooting of Adrian Gerena at the Ringside Lounge in Jersey City.

Police have released a mugshot of the Jersey City man charged with killing an Irvington man at the Ringside Lounge in Jersey City.

Miguel Ortiz, 25, of Fairmont Avenue, is charged with killing former Jersey City resident Adrian Gerena, 23, on Wednesday in the back bar area of the Ringside. which is located at Tonnelle and Manhattan avenues, Hudson County Prosecutor Edward DeFazio said.

Gerena and a second man who was shot and injured were playing cards when the gunfire erupted, DeFazio said.

Gerena was hit several times, including once to the forehead, while the other man was hit in the arm, officials said.

"This was, in our opinion, a premeditated, planned attack on the victims,'' DeFazio said.

Ortiz was in prison from Oct. 17, 2003, to Oct. 6, 2005, and Sept. 11, 2006, to April 8, 2009, on convictions for two counts of aggravated assault, as well as drug and weapons convictions.

He is considered armed and dangerous.

A police officer recognized Ortiz on security video footage from the Ringside and several witnesses confirmed he was the gunman, DeFazio said. The prosecutor said the motive for the murder appears to be revenge for a previous fight that took place in Downtown Jersey City and may be gang-related.

Ortiz and a second man entered the bar and walked to the back room where there was a brief argument before Ortiz fired about six rounds, DeFazio said.

The pair then left the bar and fled in a vehicle driven by a third person who has been identified, DeFazio said, declining further comment.

Gerena was pronounced dead at 11:44 p.m. at Jersey City Medical Center, DeFazio said.

An autopsy performed Thursday found Gerena was also shot in the chest and both shots were fired at close range, DeFazio said.

The second victim has been identified only as a 34-year-old Jersey City man.

The warrant for Ortiz's arrest says the second victim was critically wounded, said DeFazio, adding that he is expected to survive.

The prosecutor has called for the city Alcoholic Beverage Control Board to take action against the Ringside based on the number of police calls there, a call that has generated heated discussion on Hudson County Now.

Anyone with information on Ortiz is asked to call the Hudson County Prosecutor's Office's Homicide Squad at (201) 915-1345.

Posted on: 2010/1/4 18:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCSHEP wrote:
I have been meaning to check that bar out, I better do it fast before it closes...

And if you don't you might be around to see it close.

Posted on: 2010/1/4 14:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/10/21 3:42
From Hilltop
Group:
Registered Users
I have been meaning to check that bar out, I better do it fast before it closes...

Posted on: 2010/1/4 14:55

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/7/30 19:58
From Italian Village
Group:
Registered Users
Does anyone know if the Ringside has closed? Maybe just for the investigation? I've driven by it the past two nights and not a single car was in the lot.

Posted on: 2010/1/4 11:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Don't know that film - are you sure you're not thinking of Road House with Patrick Swayze?

Quote:

phDog wrote:
its like Foxes II

Posted on: 2010/1/3 20:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/10/30 14:07
Group:
Registered Users
its like Foxes II

Posted on: 2010/1/3 20:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Resized Image

Prosecutor calls for action against Jersey City lounge where Irvington man was shot and killed

By The Jersey Journal
January 02, 2010, 3:59PM

Reena Rose Sibayan/The Jersey Journal
One man was killed and another injured this week in a shooting inside the Ringside Lounge on Tonnelle Avenue in Jersey City.

Hudson County Prosecutor Edward DeFazio is calling for ABC action against the Ringside Lounge in Jersey City after one man was killed and another injured in a shooting inside the bar earlier this week.

According to today's Jersey Journal, DeFazio said the bar should be considered a nuisance based on the number of police calls to it.

"It's time for the Jersey City Alcoholic Beverage Control Board to take appropriate measures - it's overdue," DeFazio said.

Owner Mario Costa declined to comment.

On Wednesday, Adrian Gerena, 23, of Irvington was shot several times, including once to the forehead, and died from his wounds. Another man was shot in the arm.

Posted on: 2010/1/3 17:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/22 6:01
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

heights wrote:
Why don't they stay in their own neighborhood instead of driving and risking other people's lives.

they killed a man with multiple gunshots, and you are seriously asking why they would "risk other people's lives"?!

Posted on: 2010/1/1 20:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

MYBEAT wrote:
This place is a complete dump!
If anyone has ever been near by after 11 pm, you'll know exactly what I'm trying to convey.

Its a shame that it takes a loss of life for this dive to get some attention and hopefully bring it to a close once and for all...

Umfortunately it won't be that easy, the culprits or mutants will find another place to call their own. Why don't they stay in their own neighborhood instead of driving and risking other people's lives.

Posted on: 2010/1/1 19:11

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017