Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
148 user(s) are online (130 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 148

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: Hoboken Barnes & Noble announces March 31 closing
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/12/3 0:37
From Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

GrovePath wrote:
Quote:

K-Lo wrote:
I already pay for the library with my tax dollars, and use it regularly.

Maybe they need to open the magazine areas up to seeing outside -- have free wireless and startup a coffee shop kind of thing to make place more inviting -- should help offset their costs. If it doesn't already then the Main Library's WIFI should carry into Van Vorst Park and the coffee sold could be in paper cups to go.

There are such libraries around the country, if I remember correctly the Baltimore County Library System is set up like that. It can get tricky because local businesses (bookstores, video rental places, cafes) will pitch a fit if they perceive the library as a competitor and many library directors and patrons believe a library should serve in a more traditional role.

Bookstores, both independents and (now) chains, aren't closing because the printed book is an obsolete format. (Hell, the book is an almost perfect format. A trade or massmarket paperback is extremely portable, light, and durable.) They're closing because fewer people read on a regular basis. There was a pretty damning report (published around 2004, I believe) about how reading habits in America have declined. There's simply a lot more stuff out there competing for people's interests.

FWIW, I think it's remotely possible for Kindle or iPad to have a positive impact for print mags and periodicals, but I don't see them as bringing anything good for bookstores or book publishers.

Posted on: 2010/1/29 0:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
I think the real shortcoming of the iPad is the price. The base price is $500, but to make a reasonable replacement for a laptop you also probably need a dock and wireless keyboard or the dock with attached keyboard which is going to add another $75 to $125 dollars. And the plug in USB port for cameras. And then also you would need the portable version of iWork. And then your base price comes out in the $650 to $800 range, compared with a basic netbook for $250.

Posted on: 2010/1/28 21:15

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/1/21 21:14
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

sinik wrote:
Quote:

Farfromit wrote:

And the iPad will not replace the Kindle at all. The iPad, iPhone, or any type of laptop uses normal backlit computer displays which will tire your eyes when reading for any length of time.

Most of us use computer displays all day long without noticeable probs.

I didnt say the iPad will replace the Kindle. I said the Kindle would lose business to the Kindle. In fact it's already happened because people have postponed buying Kindle while they waited for this announcement.

People who do not already own a Kindle and are thinking of getting an iPad will not buy a Kindle as well.

I agree. Some people will certainly go over to the iPad, but I think a lot of people were thinking that the iPad would be a Kindle and laptop "killer." But from what I've seen and read on Gizmodo/Engadget those people who are expecting the new iPad to be the end all be all portable device will be disappointed.

You will have a better pure reading experience on the Kindle and a better email/internet/office productivity experience on a netbook or laptop. The only thing that I would expect to be better on the iPad is the magazine and newspaper experience since it will be in color and reading for short periods of time will be fine.

Posted on: 2010/1/28 19:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/15 0:46
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Farfromit wrote:

And the iPad will not replace the Kindle at all. The iPad, iPhone, or any type of laptop uses normal backlit computer displays which will tire your eyes when reading for any length of time.

Most of us use computer displays all day long without noticeable probs.

I didnt say the iPad will replace the Kindle. I said the Kindle would lose business to the iPad. In fact it's already happened because people have postponed buying Kindle while they waited for this announcement.

People who do not already own a Kindle and are thinking of getting an iPad will not buy a Kindle as well.

Posted on: 2010/1/28 19:31

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

CapnJon wrote:
farfromit - i understand people's excitement in book reading gadgets... but my arguement with folks is that, why, after staring at a computer monitor for 16 hours a day for work, would i want to read a book on a computer monitor as well?

no thanks! give me a smelly old used book, or a crisp smelly new book... and i'm much happier!

The Kindle does not use a screen like a computer or the new iPad. Its screen uses the "e-ink" technology which is the same thing as reading a normal book. There is no more eye strain as there would be with normal reading habits, and actually I've found it easier to read since I can increase the font size of my books at night when my eyes are tired from working on my PC at work all day.

And the iPad will not replace the Kindle at all. The iPad, iPhone, or any type of laptop uses normal backlit computer displays which will tire your eyes when reading for any length of time. Also those devices are hard to read in direct sunlight (i.e. at the park or beach). The Kindle or the Barnes and Noble Nook does not have that problem, plus it weighs a lot less than the over 1.5 pound iPad.

Also you can read your Kindle for weeks without charging the battery, which isn't the case with the iPhone or iPad. I can pick up my "book" (i.e. Kindle) without having to worry if I plugged it in last night.

The Kindle won't replace my laptop because the Kindle isn't meant to do anything other than read my books, Wall Street Journal/Times, magazines, etc. If I want to do anything other than that I would use my fully functional laptop/netbook, and not some gimped device like the iPad.

Posted on: 2010/1/28 19:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

K-Lo wrote:

Maybe they need to open the magazine areas up to seeing outside -- have free wireless and startup a coffee shop kind of thing to make place more inviting -- should help offset their costs. If it doesn't already then the Main Library's WIFI should carry into Van Vorst Park and the coffee sold could be in paper cups to go.

Posted on: 2010/1/28 18:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/10/27 13:13
From The fog.
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

K-Lo wrote:
Quote:
I agree, though, that we are all stupid for not just using the library.

Not suggesting anyone is stupid. The library just isn't foremost in people's minds anymore, but it's my first stop. Just recently, in December and then last week, I wanted a new best seller and an AP calculus book. I called the Main library. Each time, the staff found the book for me and held it in my name at the front desk.

In December, my son called me at the office and gave me a list of books to pick up from a Borders on the way home -- vacation pleasure reading from his favorite English teacher. I told him to hit the library. His response - "oh... right." And of course he found all that he needed.

I know that you were not suggesting it, but I really think it is true.

I don't know why we are conditioned to go to a bookstore instead of the library. Maybe bad school memories. Maybe people just want to be seen buying books. And how many books do people own that they will ever read again? Some, maybe, but not many. I can see passing down the classics through the generations, but for your run-of-the-mill stuff by Dan Brown and Nicholas Sparks, you might as well borrow them for free from the library.

Posted on: 2010/1/28 18:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/21 19:48
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Not suggesting anyone is stupid. The library just isn't foremost in people's minds anymore, but it's my first stop. Just recently, in December and then last week, I wanted a new best seller and an AP calculus book. I called the Main library. Each time, the staff found the book for me and held it in my name at the front desk.

In December, my son called me at the office and gave me a list of books to pick up from a Borders on the way home -- vacation pleasure reading from his favorite English teacher. I told him to hit the library. His response - "oh... right." And of course he found all that he needed.

Posted on: 2010/1/28 18:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/25 20:40
From somewhere else
Group:
Registered Users
Kramer Books in D.C. (DuPont Circle) is an awesome bookstore and will be around for a long time to come. But to your point, BrightMoment, there is a clientele there that will support it. They have a cafe in the back (real restaurant, not a Starbuck's type deal) that also does well, so between the two it is a vibrant, thriving business. Alas, the size of our potential market and the proximity to Manhattan makes something like this in JC seem unlikely.

Quote:

BrightMoment wrote:
the rents in downtown jc and lack of book buying consumers in brick n mortar stores are signing a death knell for indie, used bookstores not online and even the big chains like B&N can't survive without an urban book buying clientele sufficient to warrant the retail space.

Posted on: 2010/1/28 17:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From The fog.
Group:
Registered Users
The last time I moved, I swore off books forever. What a pain. A box of books is heavier than most furniture. My Kindle has been great and has already saved me money on textbooks for grad school. Some people do not like that grey screen, but it is easier on the eyes, in my case. They also have an mp3 player and a web browser, although currently in an experimental state. I think the price will eventually level off to about $199, which is less than half of what the cheapest iPad costs. But of course, you can do things that you never even knew you wanted to do on the iPad.

Posted on: 2010/1/28 17:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2010/1/28 17:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

CapnJon wrote:
farfromit - i understand people's excitement in book reading gadgets... but my arguement with folks is that, why, after staring at a computer monitor for 16 hours a day for work, would i want to read a book on a computer monitor as well?

no thanks! give me a smelly old used book, or a crisp smelly new book... and i'm much happier!

since I am able to read books on my iPhone, I am now reading a lot more. Very convenient and comfortable either through a free app like Stanza. Stanza lets you download many of the classics for free from Gutenberg and many individual books are available as free apps.

No way I would buy a real book that is available like this (or buy a Kindle for that matter).

Posted on: 2010/1/28 16:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Farfromit wrote:
Who buys books anymore?

The Kindle is the way to go

The Kindle will lose a lot of business to the iPad.

Kindles are way over-priced

Posted on: 2010/1/28 16:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/8/5 3:20
From Jersey City Heights
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2010/1/28 14:56

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Who buys books anymore?

The Kindle is the way to go

Posted on: 2010/1/28 14:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/2/24 18:16
From "Pay for Play"
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Amy wrote:
It's true that B&N (both in Hoboken and Edgewater) is often used as a hang out, a daycare center, and a library.

JC used to have a bookstore on Grove St. This was 10 years ago or something. I think it's _possible_ that a bookstore could survive if it sold used/rare books (not new--too much competition from Amazon) and maybe got itself involved in the community with authors and events. But since bookstores and really anything cultural have struggled in Hoboken, the sense I get is that a lot of residents in the area are more interested in salons, bars, cell phone places, and restaurants and not so interested in bookstores and galleries.

I wish it were true Amy that any used/rare bookstore could survive in downtown jc, but it hasn't been the case for more than 10 years when the last used bookstoe closed on Grove and went totally online.

Having worked in the book biz for many years, there are several who like me live here who know that the rents in downtown jc and lack of book buying consumers in brick n mortar stores are signing a death knell for indie, used bookstores not online and even the big chains like B&N can't survive without an urban book buying clientele sufficient to warrant the retail space. I know as I used to run all of NYC B&N stores with exception of 5th Ave and Main Store downtown.

The Strand is still the best used, new (advance/review copies) bookstore in the US and beyond to buy books so forget about seeing anything downtown in JC opened by serious booksellers.

Posted on: 2010/1/28 9:27
Resized Image
Help US Sue Spectra! Join OR Donate!

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/2/16 22:10
Group:
Registered Users
is there a sale? when does it start?

Posted on: 2010/1/27 23:04

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/7/30 19:58
From Italian Village
Group:
Registered Users
Seems like an awesome place for a WHOLE FOODS or TRADER JOES. WOO WOO!

Let's start the rumor!

Let's be real here. I love books, love local businesses, but I never have and never will buy enough books (from anyone and anywhere for that matter) to keep them in business.

Posted on: 2010/1/27 22:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/22 6:01
Group:
Registered Users
Montclair Book Center is a great example of a well-run, successful indie book store. (and the only one I can think of, outside of The Strand.) Their used/rare books are the draw, plus an extensive comic book section. New hardcovers are always as cheap as (or cheaper than) Amazon. Browsing for hours is encouraged. They've been in that location for decades, so probably aren't getting gouged by high rent. Plus - this is probably the kicker - they're also online. Evolve or perish, small businesses.

Posted on: 2010/1/27 19:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/1/22 21:37
From Carolina's Lavanderia
Group:
Registered Users
There will always be a touchy-feely market for niche books. For example I'm a knitter and crocheter. I hate buying those kinds of books on the internet because I don't know what's in them. I like to see the books in person and look at every page to evalute the projects before making a purchase. And I don't mind paying a $1 or $2 more for that extra service becasue I rather buy something I really want then send it back and pay shipping costs. A couple of years ago I bought few knitting books on Amazon for great deals and free shipping, however I ended up sending more than half of them back. Never again will I buy crafting books on-line without knowing exactly the contents of the book. And believe me the 20 page previews are not enough for me to make a good evaluation. I'm sure most craft and cook books are like that.

Posted on: 2010/1/27 19:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/7/16 11:48
Group:
Registered Users
It's true that B&N (both in Hoboken and Edgewater) is often used as a hang out, a daycare center, and a library.

JC used to have a bookstore on Grove St. This was 10 years ago or something. I think it's _possible_ that a bookstore could survive if it sold used/rare books (not new--too much competition from Amazon) and maybe got itself involved in the community with authors and events. But since bookstores and really anything cultural have struggled in Hoboken, the sense I get is that a lot of residents in the area are more interested in salons, bars, cell phone places, and restaurants and not so interested in bookstores and galleries.

Posted on: 2010/1/27 18:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/11/16 18:32
Group:
Registered Users
I love books, but honestly, Amazon has better prices than Barnes and Noble. I probably would go to B&N if they opened one up in downtown. I would looooove it if they closed down the Pay Half in Newport and opened up a B&N and an Old Navy there!

Posted on: 2010/1/27 18:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Mark, we've bought at least four guitars from you. Why go anywhere else when Metropolis is right here?

Posted on: 2010/1/27 18:13

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/8/17 14:33
Group:
Registered Users
First B. Dalton's in the mall, now B & N. Looks like a trip across the river to shop for books now.

Posted on: 2010/1/27 18:06

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/9/26 20:59
From 240 Newark Avenue
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dixonshills wrote:
There is absolutely no way a small-time book store would survive in Jersey City (let alone anywhere else). Unless you can sell your books for 30% under cover price like Amazon, or offer as big a selection as Barnes and Noble, the only reason someone would shop there would be to support local business.

By that same argument there's no way any local business could survive - it's a fact of life that everything is cheaper on the internet... but it's slower and less reliable with little or often no customer service or support. You just need to make sure you can evolve to meet the local demands and find unique products and services. As a guitar store within 10 miles of the biggest and best guitar stores in the world (as well as 7 Guitar Centers and 5 Sam Ashs) I've had to be very careful about what I stock.

I dream of a local new/used bookstore and I'd pay an extra couple bucks for the convenience...

Mark.

Posted on: 2010/1/27 17:54
www.JerseyCityMusic.com
-----------------

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/11/1 17:27
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:
Quote:

PBW wrote:
The kindle outsold actual books this holiday season.

The Kindle did not outsell actual books. On Christmas Day, Amazon sold more kindle editions of books than physical books, meaning that no one was logging onto the internet to buy physical books, but lots of people who had just received a new Kindle were turning them on and buying their first etext. On only Christmas Day.

Sorry, I got it a bit wrong. Still, not a good sign for the bookstore industry.

Posted on: 2010/1/27 17:21

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/9/30 16:26
Group:
Registered Users
There is absolutely no way a small-time book store would survive in Jersey City (let alone anywhere else). Unless you can sell your books for 30% under cover price like Amazon, or offer as big a selection as Barnes and Noble, the only reason someone would shop there would be to support local business.

Whenever I check for a book at a small book store, and they tell me they don't have it but they can order it and have it in a week, I wonder if they realize I can order it myself for up to half the price and have it in two days.

Posted on: 2010/1/27 17:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From The fog.
Group:
Registered Users
If you are going to open up a bookstore, you should expand on this idea and dedicate sections where you can sell record albums and develop film.

Posted on: 2010/1/27 16:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

PBW wrote:
The kindle outsold actual books this holiday season.

The Kindle did not outsell actual books. On Christmas Day, Amazon sold more kindle editions of books than physical books, meaning that no one was logging onto the internet to buy physical books, but lots of people who had just received a new Kindle were turning them on and buying their first etext. On only Christmas Day.

Posted on: 2010/1/27 16:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/25 20:40
From somewhere else
Group:
Registered Users
I too have thought a lot about opening a bookstore in JC but worry not only about shifting business dynamics but also the immense competition from a good number of quality bookstores in Manhattan - in addition to Strand and other serious independents, there's a large Barnes and Noble a block from the WTC PATH station and a Border's on Broadway, near Wall.

Posted on: 2010/1/27 16:07

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017