Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
145 user(s) are online (128 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 145

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 »

Re: Property taxes likely to go up again.... a lot!
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/1/3 6:32
Group:
Registered Users
I commented the enclosed the other day, I see people talk about riot on City Hall..well let's stop talking about it and everyone show up at the next city council meeting, march in City Hall Chambers, protest, riot, revolt, start a REVOLUTION, whatever it takes...and not just one time, show up meeting after meeting until Team Healy can't take it anymore.
They are too comfortable F***ing the residents of Jersey City over..Let's make them uncomfortable and wish they never re-elected.

Look what Hoboken did, the made Camarrano so uncomfortable they drove him out of office.

While posting out here is great, it is in person a very loud statement needs to be made over and over again. Then we can realize Healy's.. Change You can see..so let's change it..Healy, Vega, Gaughan, Richardson, Brennan, Flood,Sottolano, Lopez..all got to go.

Quote:

JRL wrote:
Amazing how pissed off everyone is. That's what people voted when they re-elected Team Healy...remember the campaign slogan. Change you can see...High Taxes, More Violent Crime...Some Change...So all of those that voted for Team Healy, I hope you are proud of yourselves.

Posted on: 2010/1/16 4:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/6/11 16:43
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

West wrote:
Quote:

shakatah wrote:

Protest, riot or whatever to call attention to the issue but by doing so you are still trying to pressure the same elected officials who put us in this position. I prefer to go above the heads of people who continue to make decisions to take my money without asking and spend it wastefully.

Solution is a MASS TAX APPEAL EFFORT. Here you are appealing to the county tax board which forces the city to justify its assessment of your property. With recent real estate values there is not a better time to file a tax appeal if your property was assessed based on the real estate values of 2004, 2005, etc..

Since the city won't voluntarily spread the tax burden fairly, force it to do so.

Good suggestion.

I don't think we should lighten up from any direction, keep the pressure on everywhere.

A protest at the next City Council meeting. I believe, is essential to get things moving.

Can you or anyone explain or suggest how a mass tax appeal is executed?

Thanks.

I suggested a mass tax appealing in july 2009, no interest. See here: http://jclist.com/modules/newbb/viewt ... ASC&type=&mode=0&start=75

If people were interested, half a year would've been more than enough time to contact homeowners who would likely either benefit from a tax appeal or not be harmed by it and encourage them to file. With over half a year, it would've been pretty easy for a small group to do this with only after-work hours. However, with an April 1, 2010 filing deadline, it would take much work in a short period of time.

I have won two tax appeals which were filed without attorneys. I will be filing another this year.

Interested in filing an appeal or just want to get an idea if you would benefit from an appeal? Send me a PM for the databases I've used for my appeals.

Posted on: 2010/1/15 18:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/4/20 14:33
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:
And that is why the city is falling apart; the tax revenue is not high enough to pay for the services everyone wants. Its easy and fun to point to cronyism as the root of the city's financial trouble, but paving streets costs money, painting crosswalks costs money, hiring an extra beat officer costs money. Downtown properties paying taxes on an assessment from 1988 are not paying their proportionate share of the tax burden.

A couple of questions:

1. How did the city manage in prior years on considerably smaller budgets?
2. Are you getting much better services now than in the past?

Keep in mind that inflation over the past decade has been in the 2% - 3% range each year, and city budgets have grown at much faster rates.

Posted on: 2010/1/15 18:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Its insane to think that a $1,000,000+ brownstone with an assessed tax value of 1/3 or less of that shouldn't be paying more in property taxes. Suburban homeowners with homes worth less than half that often pay $20,000+. And that is why the city is falling apart; the tax revenue is not high enough to pay for the services everyone wants. Its easy and fun to point to cronyism as the root of the city's financial trouble, but paving streets costs money, painting crosswalks costs money, hiring an extra beat officer costs money. Downtown properties paying taxes on an assessment from 1988 are not paying their proportionate share of the tax burden.

Posted on: 2010/1/15 17:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/12/25 1:59
From here to eternity
Group:
Registered Users
and this additional raise of property taxes will further depress real estate values in the area. having raised taxes twice in one year, potential buyers will be extra careful when buying real estate in jersey city .... not only in the downtown, but also those areas that have attracted increased interest as more and more people were priced out from the city ...

raising annual tax expenses by let's say $800 means that on a monthly basis someone borrowing at 5% for 30 year has had her purchasing power (without effect for taxes, since real estate taxes are not deductible for new jersey state income tax) by $12k ...

assuming that the tax value to market value multiple is 4 (property at a market value of $400k has an assessed tax value of $100k), the suggested increase of taxes would reduce the value in this case to roughly $390, a decline of 2.5%. not too good ....

raising taxes at this time shows the increased disconnect between the city's political elite and the electorate ...

Posted on: 2010/1/15 17:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/6/27 3:00
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

stani wrote:
Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:
After a revaluation, the tax rate will fall tremendously because of the increase in value over the last 22 years of all property in the city. However, the downtown property owners will likely see a much higher tax bill since property downtown has increased, proportionately, more than property in the rest of the city.

Not all downtown property owners will be hurt by a reval. Anyone that's recently bought a new or refurbished property downtown (ex tax-abated/PILOTed properties) should see their taxes go down. And I think there are a lot of those out there.

So basically, if you live downtown in a non abated property, you're screwed. That's really annoying since I can't even use the services I am paying for (i.e. the horrible school system.)

For the high, and now even higher, tax dollars that I pay I expect three basic services: good schools, safe neighborhoods and well maintained streets. FAIL.

Instead what I pay for is a guy who's full time job is to inspect to make sure that there are two clearly labeled recycling bins in my basement (one for paper and one for glass)

The city really needs to look at all of the expenses (department headcount is the first place to start) and talk through what is fundamental versus not fundamental before raising my taxes to pay for more white collar recycling bin inspectors.

Posted on: 2010/1/15 12:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/12/25 1:59
From here to eternity
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

West wrote:
Quote:

shakatah wrote:

Protest, riot or whatever to call attention to the issue but by doing so you are still trying to pressure the same elected officials who put us in this position. I prefer to go above the heads of people who continue to make decisions to take my money without asking and spend it wastefully.

Solution is a MASS TAX APPEAL EFFORT. Here you are appealing to the county tax board which forces the city to justify its assessment of your property. With recent real estate values there is not a better time to file a tax appeal if your property was assessed based on the real estate values of 2004, 2005, etc..

Since the city won't voluntarily spread the tax burden fairly, force it to do so.

Good suggestion.

I don't think we should lighten up from any direction, keep the pressure on everywhere.

A protest at the next City Council meeting. I believe, is essential to get things moving.

Thanks.

perhaps the simplest is to tax strike - i.e., those who pay taxes directly to the city (lockbox) make no payments at all. knowing the efficiency of the administration, it would take them a few weeks, at least, to figure out that a large number of people do not pay their taxes. of course, there can be severe legal implications of not paying taxes (on time).

Posted on: 2010/1/15 4:19

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/7/31 0:26
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

shakatah wrote:

Good suggestion.

Thanks.

Posted on: 2010/1/15 2:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/4/20 14:33
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:
After a revaluation, the tax rate will fall tremendously because of the increase in value over the last 22 years of all property in the city. However, the downtown property owners will likely see a much higher tax bill since property downtown has increased, proportionately, more than property in the rest of the city.

Not all downtown property owners will be hurt by a reval. Anyone that's recently bought a new or refurbished property downtown (ex tax-abated/PILOTed properties) should see their taxes go down. And I think there are a lot of those out there.

Posted on: 2010/1/15 2:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

heights wrote:
The tax rate should be uniform throughout the city if there is an increase in taxes there will be a drop in the tax rate to offset the increase. Most 3 family homes are have a tax market value at $175k if it triples I doubt the tax rate would triple if it did it would force home owners to resort to all bizzare options to generate tax revenue.

The tax rate will be uniform. But properties in different neighborhoods appreciate at different rates. A property worth a larger percentage of the total value of the city will end up paying more.

If you have two properties (Property A and Property B) and they are both worth the same amount, they have the same rate and pay the same total tax bill.

Then say Property A appreciates 100% of value and Property B only appreciates 10% of value. The tax rate will go down because now the total value of all the properties is greater. Both properties will have the same tax rate. However, property A will still pay more total dollars because the property is worth significantly more than property B.

Posted on: 2010/1/14 19:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:

The tax rate should be uniform throughout the city if there is an increase in taxes there will be a drop in the tax rate to offset the increase. Most 3 family homes are have a tax market value at $175k if it triples I doubt the tax rate would triple if it did it would force home owners to resort to all bizzare options to generate tax revenue.

Posted on: 2010/1/14 19:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2010/1/14 19:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/9 11:15
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
To T-Bird, the last revaluation was done in 1988 not 1947. Your statement is a joke, you will get off your abatement to allow your taxes to fall. Your statement does not make sense. No abated property will pay this increase and those properties did not pay the previous increases. More than $2 billion is off the regular tax rolls forcing the regular public to pick up the slack.

If you are paying taxes on a 22 year old valuation then you are getting a free ride on the backs of all the newer people who came after. Its time revaluation.

Posted on: 2010/1/14 18:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/25 20:40
From somewhere else
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
To T-Bird, the last revaluation was done in 1988 not 1947. Your statement is a joke, you will get off your abatement to allow your taxes to fall. Your statement does not make sense. No abated property will pay this increase and those properties did not pay the previous increases. More than $2 billion is off the regular tax rolls forcing the regular public to pick up the slack.

It might not make sense to you because it is evident that you don't fully understand the PILOT payment system. Yes, there is an inequity in the system because PILOT payments don't go toward county or school funding. Nonetheless, even with the increase that is likely to go through, I'd still be lower if I came off the PILOT. I've looked into it. It doesn't work for most people, but if you bought in 2007 or early '08 and your PILOT is based on an unrealistically high value compared to today's market, it probably does. Obviously you roll the dice with future increases if you come off the PILOT so it's not an easy decision. If we had responsible adults running the city, I'd be more inclined to come off the PILOT.

And 1988 may as well be 1947 - people were still buying homes on Van Vorst Park and Hamilton Park for less than 1/5 what they are worth today. In fact, there's a decent chance homes were worth more in '47 than they were in '88.

Posted on: 2010/1/14 18:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2010/1/14 18:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/11/6 23:12
Group:
Registered Users
West, After Hoboken's taxes went up 40% in '08, I know people who have appealed and won. The amount of the their reduction more than covered the attorney's fee and they now have bragging rights.

Posted on: 2010/1/14 17:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

gibbons70 wrote:
just went to a neighborhood meeting, and Councilman Gaughan admits that taxes are going up, but hey, Gaughan says we're getting our streets paved......

Again ! They just went up 11% so what you're saying is this will be in addition to the recent 11% hike ?? Also I missed that meeting what else transpired ?

Posted on: 2010/1/14 16:07

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/7/12 21:26
Group:
Registered Users
just went to a neighborhood meeting, and Councilman Gaughan admits that taxes are going up, but hey, Gaughan says we're getting our streets paved......

Posted on: 2010/1/14 16:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Taxes will rise as Jersey City introduces $507M budget

JERSEY CITY -- The state?s Local Finance Board approved $14 million in special state aid to Jersey City on Wednesday. Then the Jersey City Municipal Council met later in the evening to approve by resolution to introduce the $507.8 million municipal budget. Yes, a half billion-dollar budget that includes a $195 million tax levy, up $44 million over last year?s.

City Councilman Steven Fulop said after the council meeting that if the tax levy stays at the current amount, the owner of a home assessed at $100,000 could see an $800 increase in their property tax bill.

Ironically, the council voted 7-2 against introducing the legislation proposed by Fulop to allow homeowners to enter a payment plan with the city to pay back their taxes over as long as three years at low interest.

That frustrated Fulop even more as he and Councilman Viola Richardson were the only two council members to vote for the legislation.

It?s a budget introduced over six months late in the fiscal year, but which came about as the result of the $14 million aid being approved.

What come next are budget hearings with various city department to cut back as much as 20 percent if not more according to City Council President Peter Brennan. And then a public hearing on the budget scheduled sometime in late February or later before the council is ready to approve the budget. - RK

Posted on: 2010/1/14 15:59

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/11/25 14:47
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
I love this city for its many advantages, but monetarily this place is a mess. Our government heads continue to tap the same stone for blood year after year.

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. This, my fellow JClisters, is our city leaders.

Why can't we as a city look for alternative ways of generating revenue instead of looking for the next hand out from the state and if that fails resort to an increase in taxes. I know most of problem has to do with the state of our economy but how many times can you use that as part of the problem.

INSANE!

Posted on: 2010/1/14 15:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/22 20:18
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
i filed an appeal with a tax attorney. according to the attorney, with the ratio and purchase price of my unit, my taxes should be less than half of what they are... however the assessor wouldn't budge and was ready to go to litigation. i didn't want to get that deep into it. the most he would give me was a $400 a year break but keep in mind i already pay over $5k for a 600sq ft condo. i took the $400 and just went on my way. the system seems like it can't be beaten at city hall.

Posted on: 2010/1/14 15:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/6/11 16:43
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

T-Bird wrote:
Quote:

Frinjc wrote:
Isn't the maximum rate increase capped at 4% based on state laws passed a few years ago ? In any case, if this stands I won't be the only one appealing my current taxes this year based on reduced property values ...

And appeal you should. Unfortunately, even after you prevail on your appeal, the revaluation is lurking just beyond the horizon, like a tsunami.

Yvonne: your abatement screed is tired. I pay a PILOT and bought in 2008. If I appeal and come off the PILOT, which I am seriously considering, my taxes will fall precipitously. Seriously. Stop pretending like the people paying huge taxes (yes, PILOTs are taxes) are getting a free ride. I would love to be paying taxes on a 1947 valuation, or whenever it was the last reval was done.

West: the next council meeting is two weeks from tonight - Jan. 27. Everyone affected should show up and be heard.

Posted on: 2010/1/14 15:13

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

T-Bird wrote:

West: the next council meeting is two weeks from tonight - Jan. 27. Everyone affected should show up and be heard.

Thanks.

BTW, has anyone ever filed a tax appeal and won?

Posted on: 2010/1/14 4:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From somewhere else
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Frinjc wrote:
Isn't the maximum rate increase capped at 4% based on state laws passed a few years ago ? In any case, if this stands I won't be the only one appealing my current taxes this year based on reduced property values ...

And appeal you should. Unfortunately, even after you prevail on your appeal, the revaluation is lurking just beyond the horizon, like a tsunami.

Yvonne: your abatement screed is tired. I pay a PILOT and bought in 2008. If I appeal and come off the PILOT, which I am seriously considering, my taxes will fall precipitously. Seriously. Stop pretending like the people paying huge taxes (yes, PILOTs are taxes) are getting a free ride. I would love to be paying taxes on a 1947 valuation, or whenever it was the last reval was done.

Posted on: 2010/1/14 4:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/11/4 21:55
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2010/1/14 4:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
How many abated properties will feel this tax increase? None, the reason abatements are bad for this city.

Posted on: 2010/1/14 3:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/14 0:40
Group:
Registered Users
Remember how Healy and the city council kept touting how bringing new "ratables" to the city would give the city so much extra tax money? Those thousands of new housing units appear to be doing the 'magic' that the Healy administration promised in holding down taxes, heh?

...of course what they didn't say is that the city has to finance infrastructure improvements, a higher level of maintenance work on streets and sidewalks, increased police presence, and additions to other municipal services required to accommodate the thousands of new residents.

A few weeks ago when I passed the Monaco towers site, I counted three cops "guiding" traffic during construction...Is Roseland paying for the cops to be there or is the city? If the city is, something should be done to change the policy and put the responsibility in the developer's hands. Those cops have the most crooked BS jobs IMO.

Posted on: 2010/1/14 3:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/7/15 3:35
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
There should be a tax tea party in front of City Hall.

Can they repeal those generous tax abatements given to developers?

They need to make serious cuts. Forget those damn furloughs, try layoffs. And lots.

I have an idea, eliminate the need to have a JC cop on duty at every job site in the city just hanging out doing nothing while the construction happens. Surely the cops can be doing better things like patrolling and preventing crime.

The Libraries seem to have excessive staff as well. I'm sure 10% reductions in all departments would help alot.

These guys are doing the same thing that took place in the 70's. Get ready for another round of flight from the city because taxes got too obnoxious.

Posted on: 2010/1/14 3:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From somewhere else
Group:
Registered Users
So as it currently stands, the tax levy is going up to $190 million from $150 million. The 11.25% increase in July only gets you to ~ $165 million. Total increase year over year is 26%. If you are serious about protest, riot, whatnot - you have two weeks.

Jersey City Council introduces budget that hikes taxes
By Melissa Hayes/The Jersey Journal
January 13, 2010, 8:52PM

The Jersey City Council quickly introduced a budget tonight in an effort to hold onto $14 million in state aid that was approved today.

The budget carries a $190 million tax levy, up $40 million over last year?s.

City Business Administrator Brian O?Reilly told council members that if the levy is not reduce the owner of a home assessed at $100,000 would see an $800 increase in city taxes.

Ward D Councilman Bill Guaughan, a member of the budget committee, said the council plans to make cuts.

The budget was not originally on last night?s agenda, but was added after the Local Finance Board approved $14 million in special municipal aid.

Guaghan said officials wanted to include those funds in the budget so Gov.-Elect Chris Christie, who opposes the aid, cannot revoke it.

Additional information on the budget was not available tonight. Check back tomorrow for futher details.

Posted on: 2010/1/14 2:49

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I hope not, my property tax is insane.

Can we do some kind of preemptive protest before it becomes a fait accompli.

Posted on: 2010/1/14 2:13

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017