Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
140 user(s) are online (126 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 140

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Sheriff's Office employee saw arrests & began telling people on line for Welfare Department to l
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/14 0:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

pooper wrote:
It gets worse. If you're arrested for child support, you have to pay the full amount due to get out of jail instead of the usual bail.

So if I mug you with a weapon, my bail might be $100K, and I can get out on a $10k cash bail. Owe $15k in child support? No %10 cash option. It's up to those around you to come up with the cash. I doubt baby's momma is going to help you out with that one.

Well, there's a very practical reason for this- the 10% cash option is paid to the bail bondsman, who keeps it. The bail bondsman puts up a bond so your tail can get out of jail. When you show up to court, the money goes back to the bondsman.

So there's no parallel for child support. There's no bail bondsman, so a 10% option would simply mean they could pay 10% of their outstanding $$$ owed and skip on the 90%, which they would probably do, since they skipped on the 100% too.

This isn't to get into a discussion on whether family court is fair or unfair to fathers. Just to point out why you can't handle it like bail. If paying the bill is going to be a requirement to get out, there's nobody to pay it except the jailed individual.

Posted on: 2009/12/11 19:57

Re: Sheriff's Office employee saw arrests & began telling people on line for Welfare Department to l
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/24 16:14
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
It gets worse. If you're arrested for child support, you have to pay the full amount due to get out of jail instead of the usual bail.

So if I mug you with a weapon, my bail might be $100K, and I can get out on a $10k cash bail. Owe $15k in child support? No %10 cash option. It's up to those around you to come up with the cash. I doubt baby's momma is going to help you out with that one.

Posted on: 2009/12/11 18:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/14 0:06
Group:
Registered Users
Bad post title. The guy that got arrested for obstruction is NOT an employee of the sheriff's office.

I know this because the story told me so in the 5th paragraph.

Posted on: 2009/12/11 18:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/1/22 18:21
Group:
Banned
Quote:

regulator wrote:
i was actually in court for an unrelated matter one day, when a few local inmates came in for their hearing. i expected them to be felons... weapons, drugs, etc. nope, they were all arrested for failure to pay child support.

now, the guys havent been working for whatever reason (poor education, bad economy, etc). they hadn't paid their child support. so the answer is to jail them so that they have even more trouble finding a job afterward?

didnt they outlaw that years ago? putting you in jail and fining you X $, and not releasing you until you paid up? um hello would you pay if youre in jail?

can't say i agree with what the cleaning guy did though. it would be one thing if all those potentially about to be arrested were non-violent criminals.. but what if there was a murderer or rapist in that bunch? or drug dealer?

They should of all thought about this, before they decided to bring another life into this world.

Ignorance is not an excuse.

Posted on: 2009/12/11 18:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/24 20:41
Group:
Banned
i was actually in court for an unrelated matter one day, when a few local inmates came in for their hearing. i expected them to be felons... weapons, drugs, etc. nope, they were all arrested for failure to pay child support.

now, the guys havent been working for whatever reason (poor education, bad economy, etc). they hadn't paid their child support. so the answer is to jail them so that they have even more trouble finding a job afterward?

didnt they outlaw that years ago? putting you in jail and fining you X $, and not releasing you until you paid up? um hello would you pay if youre in jail?

can't say i agree with what the cleaning guy did though. it would be one thing if all those potentially about to be arrested were non-violent criminals.. but what if there was a murderer or rapist in that bunch? or drug dealer?

Posted on: 2009/12/11 17:33

Sheriff's Office employee saw arrests & began telling people on line for Welfare Department to leave
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Hudson County Sheriff's Office grabs 118 on outstanding warrants

By Melissa Hayes/The Jersey Journal
December 10, 2009, 11:17PM

The Hudson County Sheriff's Office has arrested 118 people on outstanding warrants and charged a county employee with interfering with the investigation.

"When there is a warrant issued by the Superior Court whether it be for drugs, assault, failure to pay child support or failure to properly appear for jury duty, each warrant is treated with the utmost of seriousness and those individuals will be arrested and brought to justice," Sheriff Juan Perez said.

The arrests were part of Operation Talon, a joint effort between the Sheriff's Office and county Welfare Department.

The list of individuals with open criminal warrants is matched against the Welfare Department's public benefits rolls. Benefits for individuals with outstanding warrants are placed on hold. When the individual visits the welfare office to inquire about the benefits, the Sheriff's Office arrests them.

Jeremi Jones, 49 of Jersey City, was charged with obstruction of government function Dec. 1 after he started alerting people the Sheriff's Office was arresting individuals with outstanding warrants.

Jones, a housekeeping employee with the county Department of Roads & Public Property, was cleaning when he observed the arrests and began telling people on line for the Welfare Department to leave.

Jones was issued a summons and released.

The arrests were made between Nov. 24 and Dec. 7. Of those arrested, 73 are Jersey City residents, 10 are from Bayonne, 10 from Jersey City, seven from Hoboken, four from North Bergen, two each from Guttenberg and Kearny, one from Harrison and one from West New York.

Those arrested for failure to pay child support owe a combined $1,045,780.
The top three child support offenders were all from Jersey City. Troy Brown owes the most, $87,735, followed by Wilson Urbaez, who owes $66,083, and Ronald Moore who owes $58,448.

Posted on: 2009/12/11 15:58

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017