Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
121 user(s) are online (100 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 121

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Re: Woman, 70, in 'life-threatening but stable' condition after being mauled by pit bulls
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/10/30 14:07
Group:
Registered Users
"Even when a pit bull is challenged by a group of humans it will not retreat. "

Anyone that has any real experience working with or training dogs will completely disagree with that statement. And i'm not talking about people who taught thier golden retriever to balance a cookie on thier nose or roll over (though both are cool tricks).

Again, this is not only false but a sweeping generalization. Its very apparent that although you claim to be a dog lover you know very little about pit bulls aside from what you read in the jersey journal or jclist. It is also somewhat arrogant to speak in (incorrect) absolutes as you are doing. I'd encourage you to come to your own conclusion through experiential learning. there are people in your community who are very involved with the breed in terms of general welfare/rescue, training and competitive sports.

and none of them would make excuses for a dog that displays unwarranted aggresion.

Posted on: 2009/12/8 22:17

Re: Woman, 70, in 'life-threatening but stable' condition after being mauled by pit bulls
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/22 6:01
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

DirtMcGirt wrote:
Kill everything that might hurt you! YEAH!

now there's a valuable contribution to the discussion.

Posted on: 2009/12/8 21:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/8/27 23:48
Group:
Banned
Quote:

wibbit wrote:

And DirtMcGirt, you are the classic example of the fanatic idiot who should not own a pitbull.

How am I a fanatic idiot?

Since when have I owned a pitbull?

Posted on: 2009/12/8 21:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/26 3:33
Group:
Banned
today on the elevator down from my apt to work, an elderly asian woman holding a baby got on after me, then the elevator door opens and this big dog jumps in and onto the old woman standing on its hindlegs, scaring her half to death almost dropping the baby, who started to cry. The old lady tried to squeeze as far into the corner as she could, i guess most old asians women fear dogs to begin with.

The owner then came in smiling, pretentiously pulled on the leash a few times saying "good boy good boy, he's a sweetheart". Without even an apology.

I was so pissed, those a**hole dogowners think it's their god given right to have their dogs jump on people and that everyone adores them, almost in a showoff manner.

I told the bitch (and dont mean the dog) "maybe you should hold onto your leash tighter next time when the door opens". She looked at me like i just told her to kill herself and said TO THE DOG "we are ok, we are good and started kneeling down and hugging the dog". By then the old asian lady got out half running. I told the owner again "you know not everyone likes to have a stranger's dog jump on them, it's pretty rude". And she just continued to hug the dog. Could've said much worse but considering she lives in the same building, didnt bother.

And DirtMcGirt, you are the classic example of the fanatic idiot who should not own a pitbull.

Posted on: 2009/12/8 21:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Kill everything that might hurt you! YEAH!

Posted on: 2009/12/8 19:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/27 11:11
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
"It is unfortunate that one of the original purposes of the Pit Bull was dog-to-dog combat, but this is a fact that can't be denied or ignored. It is very important that every potential Pit Bull owner understands the selective breeding that took place to make the dogs of today and the inherited characteristics that are potentially within this wonderful breed.

Pit Bulls are phenomenal animals that deserve a chance to have a good life like any other dog. However, it is important to remember that Pit Bulls are not just any other dog?they are a little more of everything a dog can be".

I think the key is they deserve a chance to have a good life.

Pit Bull owners need to have common sense and to make sure they do not set their dogs up for failure by putting them in the wrong situations.

Posted on: 2009/12/8 19:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jcnight wrote:
Quote:

I_heart_JC wrote:
what I don't understand - and will never understand - is how, with the countless number of dogs languishing in shelters, anyone would want to have a potentially lethal dog in their home.

other dogs may bite more often, but when did you last see a headline about a 70-year-old woman losing half of her face to a chihuahua?

I know that most pit bulls are sweet, and that 99.5% of pit owners will never experience a problem with their pet. but when there is a problem, it's with a dog that has a devastating bite.

why on earth would you take that chance? is your pit bull really *that* much more awesome than the beagle in the cage right next to it?

On most occasions when these labeled bully breeds end up in a shelter the ?adoptive owner? will never find the true history of the dog and is adopting a potentially dangerous animal. I go back and forth with my thoughts on this situation and have often asked myself if I (an animal lover and advocate) would ever bring home a rescued pit bull terrier from the shelter. I have had the opportunity on numerous occasions but have always chosen not to because of other animals in my home and the fear of THE UNKNOWN, (history of the animal) and the potential that the rescued pit bull terrier could kill me and my pets. I am very grateful that there are people out there that do rescue the said animals, but also feel that any person that rescues a bully breed should be made to go thru a somewhat intense training and handling procedure before the animal is released to them. Of course that would require funding and etc? But it may make it a safer environment for both pet and owner.

Even a dog born and raised in a warm loving home can snap. When my sweet-tempered mutt bit my nephew - after ten years of mellow behavior - it shocked the hell out of me. I became that stereotypical asshole "but my dog is so sweet!" apologist. But the nick on my nephew's hand healed with a band-aid. as far as lessons go - ie: keep control of your damn dog - it was a relatively painless one. when a pit bull snaps, that lesson is much more severe. why would anyone take that chance? when you can choose any breed on the planet - often for much less money - why put friends and loved ones at risk, even if the risk is minimal?

Posted on: 2009/12/8 19:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

I_heart_JC wrote:
what I don't understand - and will never understand - is how, with the countless number of dogs languishing in shelters, anyone would want to have a potentially lethal dog in their home.

other dogs may bite more often, but when did you last see a headline about a 70-year-old woman losing half of her face to a chihuahua?

I know that most pit bulls are sweet, and that 99.5% of pit owners will never experience a problem with their pet. but when there is a problem, it's with a dog that has a devastating bite.

why on earth would you take that chance? is your pit bull really *that* much more awesome than the beagle in the cage right next to it?

On most occasions when these labeled bully breeds end up in a shelter the ?adoptive owner? will never find the true history of the dog and is adopting a potentially dangerous animal. I go back and forth with my thoughts on this situation and have often asked myself if I (an animal lover and advocate) would ever bring home a rescued pit bull terrier from the shelter. I have had the opportunity on numerous occasions but have always chosen not to because of other animals in my home and the fear of THE UNKNOWN, (history of the animal) and the potential that the rescued pit bull terrier could kill me and my pets. I am very grateful that there are people out there that do rescue the said animals, but also feel that any person that rescues a bully breed should be made to go thru a somewhat intense training and handling procedure before the animal is released to them. Of course that would require funding and etc? But it may make it a safer environment for both pet and owner.

Posted on: 2009/12/8 18:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2009/12/8 18:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

phDog wrote:

This is not only completely false hearsay but it (redirection) is inherently MORE common in other breeds. think about the purpose of the dogs i stated and the situation in which they were used.

ALL dogs fight, it is a natural behavior. our pets are attacked by poorly managed animals regardless of breed. is a poorly handled pit bull more likely to kill another dog as opposed to a poorly handled chihuahua? yes. but the owners of both have the same responsibility to control their animal.

I am in complete agreement with you that people are crazy for putting the life of a dog before that of a person and I also agree that the owners of these dogs should be held criminally responsible.

Communities are ill equipped to deal with wild animals capable of unstoppable aggression. We are also ill equipped to deal with dogs that demonstrate the same trait. Even when a pit bull is challenged by a group of humans it will not retreat. Wild animals, on the other hand, have self-preservation instincts. They usually flee when confronted in the same manner.

Posted on: 2009/12/8 18:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
"Advocates of these breeds say that animal-aggression does not lead to human-aggression. Yet, it nearly always does: a pit bull attacks a person's dog and the dog's owner gets injured trying to stop the attack."

This is not only completely false hearsay but it (redirection) is inherently MORE common in other breeds. think about the purpose of the dogs i stated and the situation in which they were used.

ALL dogs fight, it is a natural behavior. our pets are attacked by poorly managed animals regardless of breed. is a poorly handled pit bull more likely to kill another dog as opposed to a poorly handled chihuahua? yes. but the owners of both have the same responsibility to control their animal.

I am in complete agreement with you that people are crazy for putting the life of a dog before that of a person and I also agree that the owners of these dogs should be held criminally responsible.

Posted on: 2009/12/8 17:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

phDog wrote:
dogs that fight other dogs and dogs that bite people are rarely the same animal. for 150 years organized dog fights required 3 people (2 handlers and a ref) to be in close quarters to the 2 dogs fighting. a dog that was prone to biting a person was a liability that was not acceptable and therefor removed from the gene pool.

maybe something else will make thins interesting...

Fighting breeds are inherently animal aggressive. Because of this trait, these breeds regularly attack our pets. Pit bulls are the most notorious for this crime, a crime that often goes unpunished. Advocates of these breeds say that animal-aggression does not lead to human-aggression. Yet, it nearly always does: a pit bull attacks a person's dog and the dog's owner gets injured trying to stop the attack.
I have nothing against bully breeds or bully breed owners. I understand how easy it is to turn your thoughts for a split second and have something go very wrong. It can and has happened to mothers with their children. I cannot however understand how anyone can put a human life secondary to that of an animal. This woman is suffering critical injuries at 70 years old. The person caring for these dogs was/is negligent. She needs to be charged with something. I don?t care if it is a pit bull terrier or a tiny Chihuahua once it causes those injuries it is deemed dangerous. I am a pet owner myself
(2 dogs and a very large cat). If one of my animals injured another human being to that capacity unfortunately and oh so sadly it would have to go down asap.

Posted on: 2009/12/8 16:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
dogs that fight other dogs and dogs that bite people are rarely the same animal. for 150 years organized dog fights required 3 people (2 handlers and a ref) to be in close quarters to the 2 dogs fighting. a dog that was prone to biting a person was a liability that was not acceptable and therefor removed from the gene pool.

maybe something else will make thins interesting...

Posted on: 2009/12/8 16:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Where victim works, a vase fills with $$$

Tuesday, December 08, 2009

While a 70-year-old Jersey City woman starts her long road to recovery from horrific injuries she received when she was mauled by a pit bull on Friday, the Bayonne flower store where she has worked for 22 years is raising funds for the family.

Donna Marki, the owner of Say It with Flowers at Broadway and West 34th Street, said the store has launched the Zaldana Fund to help Maria Zaldana, the victim, and her family pay medical bills.

"She has been our most valued employee from the day she arrived," Marki said. "She is not a worker in my eyes, she is a family member."

Zaldana started working for the family 30 years ago when Marki's father had a dress manufacturing business in Bayonne. She started working at the flower shop when it opened 22 years ago.

In the attack, Zaldana suffered a partially torn scalp, numerous puncture wounds and skin was torn from the left side of her face and her right knee and calf. She is in stable condition at University Hospital in Newark.

Yesterday morning, the glass vase being used as a collection box was already stuffed with more than $50 cash.

"When she (Zaldana) discusses the attack she gets emotional and can't speak," Marki said. "We pray she will come back. It does not feel right when she is not here."

To donate to the Zaldana Fund, mail checks to: Say It with Flowers, 744 Broadway, Bayonne, NJ 07002.

For more information, call (201) 858-1188.

CHARLES HACK

Posted on: 2009/12/8 11:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

itsaurora wrote:
How's this getting interesting? Where's the indication that these dogs were trained to kill, fight, or attack?

Ho Hummm. Read the above article. I believe it is titled dog fighting/neglect incident. CONVICTED. IF it is the same Jason Reid than well use your imagination.

Posted on: 2009/12/8 3:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/9/30 0:28
From Belmont Ave.
Group:
Registered Users
How's this getting interesting? Where's the indication that these dogs were trained to kill, fight, or attack?

Posted on: 2009/12/8 3:03

Re: 70-year-old must have provoked pit bull attack, dogs' co-owner tells shelter official
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
I am assuming if a dog is trained to kill, fight, or attack then the dog would be considered a deadly weapon.. This is getting interesting.

Posted on: 2009/12/8 2:55

Re: 70-year-old must have provoked pit bull attack, dogs' co-owner tells shelter official
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
There is no indication that this Jason Reid is the same Jason Reid who fought pit bulls in 2006 -- but hopefully the Jersey Journal and/or Eyewitness News look into this:

========================
Dog-fighting, neglect
Jackson, NJ (US)

Incident Date: Monday, Oct 23, 2006
County: Ocean County

Disposition: Convicted

Defendant/Suspect: Jason T. Reid

On Dec. 21, Jason T. Reid, of Jackson, was convicted in municipal court of three counts of animal cruelty stemming from an ongoing investigation by animal control officers Joseph Sbano and Robert Pintye. Reid was expected to face sentencing on Jan. 3.

"On Oct. 23 several pit bulls were found on the Cross Street property where Mr. Reid lives," Sbano reported. "There was a 2-year-old male pit bull weighing 40 pounds that was tied on a chain weighing 83 pounds. The dog had an abscess on its neck, along with old bite wounds and scars on its face, head and neck."

Sbano said another male pit bull on the property was extremely thin and weak, with sores on its hindquarters and no water available. Both of those dogs were seized along with three puppies that were being kept in a cage with no shelter or water, the animal control officer said.

All of the dogs were taken to the Ocean County animal facility.

"Today they are thriving," Sbano said. "Hopefully they will be placed in a caring home."

http://www.pet-abuse.com/cases/10469/NJ/US/

Quote:

70-year-old must have provoked pit bull attack, dogs' co-owner tells shelter official

By Ron Zeitlinger/The Jersey Journal
December 07, 2009, 3:15PM

See video:
http://www.nj.com/bayonne/index.ssf/2 ... lter_manager_70-year.html

One of the owners of the two pit bulls shockingly is blaming the 70-year-old victim for the vicious attack she suffered Friday on a Bayonne street, a brutal assault that sent her to a hospital with critical injuries, says the manager of the shelter where the dogs are being kept.

The co-owner of the dogs, Jason Reid, showed up at the Associated Humane Society of Newark facility Saturday and told D.J. Infield, the manager and chief animal control officer, that Maria Zaldana, of Jersey City, must have provoked the dogs, Infield said today.

The two pit bulls, a male and female estimated at about 2- to 2-and-a-half years old, are being held under quarantine for 10 days at the Newark facility.

Infield said that unless the owners are charged with having potentially dangerous or vicious dogs, the pit bulls will be released to the owners. If the owners are charged, the dogs would remain in the custody of the animal shelter until the case is decided in the courts.

Infield said that Reid came to the shelter Saturday and said he owns the dogs along with Jessica Manno, his girlfriend. "He was adamant that the dogs must have been provoked" by the 70-year-old woman.

Reid did not return a phone call for comment.

Manno, who Bayonne police said was in Florida Friday at the time of the attack on Zaldano, was charged with having unleashed dogs. Police said the dogs were being watched by Manno's sister, Kristy Manno, at the time.

Zaldano was walking to Say It With Flowers on Broadway in Bayonne, where she works, when the dogs apparently escaped from a West 34th Street yard and mauled her at 9:11 in the morning Friday.

Zaldano suffered a partially torn scalp, numerous puncture wounds and the skin was torn from the left side of her face and her right knee and calf.

Infield said the dogs appear healthy, are licensed and are up-to-date with all their shots. He added that the dogs have not acted aggressively since they've been in the Newark shelter.

Infield, who said he has 25 years of experience in the field, said that it they were his dogs, he would have already had them put down.

"The dogs should be euthanized," Infield said. "They nearly killed that woman."

========================

70-year-old woman attacked by 2 pit bulls

Tim Fleischer
7online.com News Team

(Eyewitness News ABC) -- Bone chilling screams were coming from Maria Zaldana as a pair of pit bulls attacked the 70-year-old, repeatedly biting her face, legs and arms, ripping away pieces of skin and large sections of her scalp.

Maria was walking along West 34th Street Friday morning, and had almost made it to her job at a florist's, when just after 9, she spotted the dogs.

"She had seen two dogs on the porch, she's afraid of dogs, so she crossed the street, they started following her," explained Jessica Fajardo, Maria's friend.

Within seconds the dogs attacked. Maria desperately held onto a parked truck until someone came and got the pair.

The owner is out of town, and another relative was supposed to be watching the male and female dogs.

Somehow, the animals escaped from a fence that's normally kept locked.

Danielle Manno, Dog Owner's Cousin, said "Even though they are big they're the biggest babies, they hide if you yell and scream at them, they'll run and hide, they're scared of everything."

A friend believes Maria's screams may have further fueled the dogs, with the male thinking he was being attacked.

"They probably went up to her and tried to play with her. They jump on people but don't bite them," explained Desiree Marolda, a friend of the dog owner's.

Donna Marki, a friend and of Maria's for 30 years and one of her co-workers says she believes both dogs should be euthanized.

Marki also started a collection to help pay for her medical bills.

"Now without her here, part of the wheel, a spoke of the wheel is missing and it's hard for all of us," said Donna Marki of "Say it with Flowers".

Zaldana was rushed to the Jersey City Medical Center, and was later transferred to the University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey in Newark. The pit bulls have been placed in quarantine at the Associated Humane Society in Newark. Police say Manno was issued two summonses for having unleashed dogs.

Posted on: 2009/12/8 2:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
It wouldn't be attempted murder because murder requires intent. This may be recklessness, required for manslaughter, since one would assume she didnt see the dogs jump the fence. Whether or not this is considered reckless would depend on the states laws and whether or not that recklessness is enough for a manslaughter charge would also depend on the states laws. I would find it unlikely though. At worst, I would expect a charge of Negligent Homicide, and even that would depend on the circumstances and states law.

Note that a civil suit, where the victim sues the dog owner for their injuries, depending on the state, they might only have to prove that it happened, not that there was any intent, recklessness, or negligence. That's called strict liability and in some states if you get injured with a deadly weapon, that's all you have to prove. now the question is???? Is a Pit Bull considered a deadly weapon in NJ?

Posted on: 2009/12/8 2:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

wibbit wrote:
Quote:
The co-owner of the dogs, Jason Reid, showed up at the Associated Humane Society of Newark facility Saturday and told D.J. Infield, the manager and chief animal control officer, that Maria Zaldana, of Jersey City, must have provoked the dogs, Infield said today.

Infield said that Reid came to the shelter Saturday and said he owns the dogs along with Jessica Manno, his girlfriend. "He was adamant that the dogs must have been provoked" by the 70-year-old woman.

yes people like that should get off with an unleashed dog citation and have the dogs returned to them, so they can let them loose in the yards again....

I cant believe so many of you are defending those dog owners, so WHAT if the dog was in the yards, they jumped out and mauled a woman half to death! That is the owner's fault, period. Add insult to injury, the owner then came and said it's the woman's fault for provoking the dogs, yes the 70 year old must really done a number on the dogs...

You dont think those people should be throw in jail, maybe not attempted murder but reckless endangerment ( or involuntary manslaughter if the poor woman dies)

Maybe all of you pitbull owners are nutcases...

Yes, we're all pitbull owners and we're all nutcases. Right. At least we understand what murder means.

There should be consequences if the owner is deemed negligent. I'm not sure we're all better off by locking up the owner on a manslaughter charge, though.

Posted on: 2009/12/8 1:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Belmont Ave.
Group:
Registered Users
Oh wibbit, wibbit....let's not get all personal now with the name calling. As a pit bull owner, I actually agree with you to an extent. While I think attempted murder is a stretch, I absolutely think there should be some charges brought against the owner and the dog(s) should be declared potentially dangerous. As much as I believe it's my right to own any dog I want, I also feel that morons who allow things like this to happen (whatever the breed) should have to answer for their actions.

Posted on: 2009/12/8 0:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

yes people like that should get off with an unleashed dog citation and have the dogs returned to them, so they can let them loose in the yards again....

I cant believe so many of you are defending those dog owners, so WHAT if the dog was in the yards, they jumped out and mauled a woman half to death! That is the owner's fault, period. Add insult to injury, the owner then came and said it's the woman's fault for provoking the dogs, yes the 70 year old must really done a number on the dogs...

You dont think those people should be throw in jail, maybe not attempted murder but reckless endangerment ( or involuntary manslaughter if the poor woman dies)

Maybe all of you pitbull owners are nutcases...

Posted on: 2009/12/8 0:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Holy crap... the owner(s) are being tone-deaf, to their own detriment.

I was particularly disturbed by this seemingly innocent quote:
Quote:

"They probably went up to her and tried to play with her. They jump on people but don't bite them," explained Desiree Marolda, a friend of the dog owner's.

When will some (most?) dog owners come to understand that allowing dogs to jump on people, or to otherwise stand on their hind legs and place their front legs on a person, is NEVER, EVER acceptable behavior!? I have never seen a dog trainer tolerate this type of behavior, and it is usually an indicator of dominant behavior that should be curtailed, or completely removed by consistent training.

Even when the behavior is part of playing, or just innocent excitement, allowing a dog to get up on a person (other than you) is unacceptable because it can lead to accidents, or problems. People who are scared of dogs will not react well to this. Kids, seniors, or people who may be weak, could lose their balance and trip, causing an even bigger problem.

I love dogs as much as the next person, but I am truly turned off by the prospect of owning a dog and being surrounded by so many clueless dog owners.

Posted on: 2009/12/7 23:45

70-year-old must have provoked pit bull attack, dogs' co-owner tells shelter official
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

By Ron Zeitlinger/The Jersey Journal
December 07, 2009, 3:15PM

See video:
http://www.nj.com/bayonne/index.ssf/2 ... lter_manager_70-year.html

One of the owners of the two pit bulls shockingly is blaming the 70-year-old victim for the vicious attack she suffered Friday on a Bayonne street, a brutal assault that sent her to a hospital with critical injuries, says the manager of the shelter where the dogs are being kept.

More coverage: Victim improving at hospital in Newark

The two pit bulls, a male and female estimated at about 2- to 2-and-a-half years old, are being held under quarantine for 10 days at the Newark facility.

Infield said that unless the owners are charged with having potentially dangerous or vicious dogs, the pit bulls will be released to the owners. If the owners are charged, the dogs would remain in the custody of the animal shelter until the case is decided in the courts.

Reid did not return a phone call for comment.

Manno, who Bayonne police said was in Florida Friday at the time of the attack on Zaldano, was charged with having unleashed dogs. Police said the dogs were being watched by Manno's sister, Kristy Manno, at the time.

Zaldano was walking to Say It With Flowers on Broadway in Bayonne, where she works, when the dogs apparently escaped from a West 34th Street yard and mauled her at 9:11 in the morning Friday.

Zaldano suffered a partially torn scalp, numerous puncture wounds and the skin was torn from the left side of her face and her right knee and calf.

Infield said the dogs appear healthy, are licensed and are up-to-date with all their shots. He added that the dogs have not acted aggressively since they've been in the Newark shelter.

Infield, who said he has 25 years of experience in the field, said that it they were his dogs, he would have already had them put down.

"The dogs should be euthanized," Infield said. "They nearly killed that woman."

========================

70-year-old woman attacked by 2 pit bulls

Tim Fleischer
7online.com News Team

(Eyewitness News ABC) -- Bone chilling screams were coming from Maria Zaldana as a pair of pit bulls attacked the 70-year-old, repeatedly biting her face, legs and arms, ripping away pieces of skin and large sections of her scalp.

Maria was walking along West 34th Street Friday morning, and had almost made it to her job at a florist's, when just after 9, she spotted the dogs.

"She had seen two dogs on the porch, she's afraid of dogs, so she crossed the street, they started following her," explained Jessica Fajardo, Maria's friend.

Within seconds the dogs attacked. Maria desperately held onto a parked truck until someone came and got the pair.

The owner is out of town, and another relative was supposed to be watching the male and female dogs.

Somehow, the animals escaped from a fence that's normally kept locked.

Danielle Manno, Dog Owner's Cousin, said "Even though they are big they're the biggest babies, they hide if you yell and scream at them, they'll run and hide, they're scared of everything."

A friend believes Maria's screams may have further fueled the dogs, with the male thinking he was being attacked.

Donna Marki, a friend and of Maria's for 30 years and one of her co-workers says she believes both dogs should be euthanized.

Marki also started a collection to help pay for her medical bills.

"Now without her here, part of the wheel, a spoke of the wheel is missing and it's hard for all of us," said Donna Marki of "Say it with Flowers".

Zaldana was rushed to the Jersey City Medical Center, and was later transferred to the University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey in Newark. The pit bulls have been placed in quarantine at the Associated Humane Society in Newark. Police say Manno was issued two summonses for having unleashed dogs.

(Copyright ?2009 WABC-TV/DT. All Rights Reserved.)

Posted on: 2009/12/7 22:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/2/9 14:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

itsaurora wrote:
I would hope that Bayonne animal control is going to follow up with a potentially dangerous dog hearing for the male dog, at the very least. It's unclear from the article whether the female was actually part of the attack.

jaah37 - dogs do not need to be leashed when they're in a backyard but the moment they're off the owner's property they can (and should) be cited.

If the pitbulls were legally unleashed in a yard and escaped why is wibbit saying this case isn't a accident and that the dog owner purposely chose not to leash them? The owner should def. be held accountable for not keeping a watchful eye on the dogs and for trusting the yard could keep them fenced in...but bring her up on attempted murder charges?!?

Posted on: 2009/12/7 22:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Belmont Ave.
Group:
Registered Users
I would hope that Bayonne animal control is going to follow up with a potentially dangerous dog hearing for the male dog, at the very least. It's unclear from the article whether the female was actually part of the attack.

jaah37 - dogs do not need to be leashed when they're in a backyard but the moment they're off the owner's property they can (and should) be cited.

Posted on: 2009/12/7 21:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
Medical web site on animal bites
Mortality/Morbidity
Animal bites can lead to infection, and, if treated appropriately, patients can avoid this risk. Other complications include sepsis, osteomyelitis, septic arthritis, and even death. Fatalities are uncommon, but an average of 10-15 deaths occur following dog bites each year in the United States. Most of these fatalities are children who sustain bites to the head and neck region. Even a minor bite to a major vessel can lead to hemorrhage in a small child. Skull fractures resulting from dog bites have been reported.

Posted on: 2009/12/7 21:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/2/9 14:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

wibbit wrote:
Quote:

GrovePath wrote:

Jessica Manno was given two summonses for having unleashed dogs, police said.

The issue of whether pitbull can be domestic pets with proper training/care is up for debate, and i do think euthanize all pitbull are unfair to responsible owners who take care of their dogs.

The real injustice here is the punishment of the dog owner, 2 summons for unleashed dog?!?! that's like giving a parking ticket for running over someone to close to death.

The woman should be brought up on attempted murder charges, throw in jail for a good part of her life, and never be allowed to own/care for another dog.

This isnt a case of accident, the woman purposely choose not to leash the pitbull and as a result almost killed the poor woman. Why should such disgusting irresponsible dog owners not be charged with a serious crime.

2 summons for unleashed dogs?! what a joke...

Purposely chose not to leash the pittbulls? The dogs escaped from her yard as the article says:
A 70-year-old woman was critically injured this morning when she was mauled by two pit bulls that had gotten loose from their Bayonne backyard, police said.

Does the law state that dogs are to be leashed when they are in a backyard?

Posted on: 2009/12/7 21:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

wibbit wrote:
Quote:

GrovePath wrote:

The issue of whether pitbull can be domestic pets with proper training/care is up for debate, and i do think euthanize all pitbull are unfair to responsible owners who take care of their dogs.

The real injustice here is the punishment of the dog owner, 2 summons for unleashed dog?!?! that's like giving a parking ticket for running over someone to close to death.

The woman should be brought up on attempted murder charges, throw in jail for a good part of her life, and never be allowed to own/care for another dog.

This isnt a case of accident, the woman purposely choose not to leash the pitbull and as a result almost killed the poor woman. Why should such disgusting irresponsible dog owners not be charged with a serious crime.

How did she attempt to murder someone? Negligence is more like it.

Posted on: 2009/12/7 21:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

GrovePath wrote:

Posted on: 2009/12/7 21:25

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017