Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
109 user(s) are online (95 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 109

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 7 ... 10 »

Re: Newark Avenue StreetScape

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/5/19 1:48
Group:
Registered Users
Does anyone know if this project is going to make its way up into the court house area? As a resident of Jersey City I am pissed at the lack of anything being done to the hilltop area of Jersey City....

Posted on: 2010/4/28 15:20

Re: New Planters on Newark
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/2/9 14:06
Group:
Registered Users
I find it hard to believe that there are street lights STILL not working!! (On the corner of Jersey & Newark AND on the corner of First & Jersey) How long does it take to fix this???

Posted on: 2010/4/27 1:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/22 6:01
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

srg1 wrote:
They wouldn't necessarily know, but they may be part of a larger "fix it" crew to take care of the clocks. I will rephrase. I asked the handyman who happened to be painting the clock at the time...

this larger fix apparently involves breaking off the top half of the clock at Erie Street. last week I walked past half a dozen workmen standing around the sheared-off carcass, scratching their heads. now there's a plastic garbage bag over the still-standing remains. any bets on how long it'll stay that way, before the entire clock comes down?

real top-notch job on the Newark Avenue streetscape. yup.

Posted on: 2010/4/27 1:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/9/7 0:45
Group:
Registered Users
Are they going to stripe the 4th crosswalk at Newark and Jersey?

Posted on: 2010/4/15 12:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Oh, and the signs which tell you that a crosswalk is near. I hope there was a special deal on signs because it looks awful.

Posted on: 2010/4/14 21:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
this whole thing looks like when my nephew cleans his own room.

Posted on: 2010/4/14 15:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I can't decide how I feel about the mishmash of the striping vs. the brickwork. I generally feel that if there wasn't enough money to do all brick, then why bother? Now it looks like a mess.

And whose idea was it to put up yellow-green signs pointing to crosswalks in the middle of Newark Avenue where there are no lights? I think those signs and the crosswalks which are 30 feet from a traffic light are ridiculous.

Posted on: 2010/4/14 6:25

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/4/4 15:32
Group:
Registered Users
The Jersey City Independent has stated that Phase 2 for Christopher Columbus is starting this week...

http://www.jerseycityindependent.com/ ... fic-pattern-begins-today/

Posted on: 2010/4/13 19:05

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/2/17 0:53
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCbiscuit wrote:
Sooo...is that it for the trees? The drawings were so green, yet the block contains exactly 2 planters, each containing a pitiful bush.

Second that.

Posted on: 2010/4/13 2:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/18 19:17
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Sooo...is that it for the trees? The drawings were so green, yet the block contains exactly 2 planters, each containing a pitiful bush.

Posted on: 2010/4/13 0:08

Re: Newark Avenue Streetscape Phase III

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/4/12 22:46
Group:
Registered Users
Phase III is currently out for bid. Right now the scheduled bid date is April 27, barring any addendums, which will push the opening date back a little. Construction probably wouldnt begin until late June.

As far as Newark Phase 1 and 2, The clock at Grove is fixed now. Under our contract manufacturer just replaced all the guts as well as a new Lexan bezel. Also they installed a little computer inside so it should keep time and make adjustments for daylight savings time all by itself.

Our striping subcontractor will be at Grove tomorrow to finish the remaining crosswalks...sorry for the delay. JC was determining if they were going to install any more brick crosswalks but they recently made their decision. .

Posted on: 2010/4/12 22:55

Newark Avenue Streetscape Phase III

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/11/5 2:44
Group:
Registered Users
Is there an update of when work will start for Newark Avenue Streetscape Phase III? As per Mr Fulop's e-mail it should have by March 13th, 2010. Thank you for any information.

Posted on: 2010/4/12 20:59

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/7/30 19:58
From Italian Village
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
Before any work takes place, they need to finish the job on the first phase.

PLEASE read Vigilante's post 2 or 3 up OR read Fulop's letter. It will explain most of this.

Posted on: 2010/2/23 19:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/7/15 3:35
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
Before any work takes place, they need to finish the job on the first phase.

First off, and a BIG PRIORITY is the driveway in between OX and Palace Drugs that goes to the parking lot. It needs to be turned into concrete ASAP. I am personally sick of walking though this nasty gravel pit. Especially as it turns into mud when it rains like today. Looks like hell and the gravel is spilling all over the rest of the sidewalks

There are still sections of cement that were marked with white X's because they were cracked. These need to be replaced.

Also, I would like to see all the survey markings removed. Someone went a little crazy with the spray paint and it looks crappy.

Half the new lights don't seem to work. Also, the old bases need to be removed. As they are disconnected, I don't think PSE&G is needed for that.

Where are the crosswalks? Yes you did Jersey Ave and Newark, but not completely. The Red Brick is supposed to be edged with White. (See similar brick walks by Hamilton Park 8th and Jersey and on 3rd and Erie I believe). Other crosswalks need to added all along Newark ave.

Finally, the little park on the corner there needs some better landscaping.

That's it for me.

FG

Posted on: 2010/2/23 16:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Newark Avenue Streetscape Phase III, beginning at Coles and ending at Summit Avenue (Five Corners), will see the same streetscaping that has been completed in Phases I and II, from Grove Street to Coles. Phase III will include repaving of Newark Avenue, benches, trash cans, lights, new sidewalks and crosswalks.

The contractor is slated to start work in the next 2-4 weeks. Work must start by March 13th or we risk losing the federal funds utilized to complete the Newark Streetscape project...

WOW -- Great News!!!

Posted on: 2010/2/23 15:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
From Steve Fulop's email today:

Newark Avenue Streetscape
All but a few small projects in Phases I and II of the Newark Avenue Streetscape project are complete. Phase III, beginning at Coles and ending at Summit Avenue (Five Corners), will see the same streetscaping that has been completed in Phases I and II, from Grove Street to Coles. Phase III will include repaving of Newark Avenue, benches, trash cans, lights, new sidewalks and crosswalks.

The contractor is slated to start work in the next 2-4 weeks. Work must start by March 13th or we risk losing the federal funds utilized to complete the Newark Streetscape project. Therefore work will be resuming shortly.

Many people have asked about the unfinished crosswalks. Due to the cold weather some polymer resin crosswalks and thermoplastic ladder striping crosswalks were not completed. For the work to be done effectively, the temperature has to be 40 degrees and rising -- preferably at least 50 degrees. In March or April, the contractor and subcontractors will return to the site and complete all missing or defective work.

A public ceremony will take place in Mercado Park to celebrate the revitalization of Newark Avenue when it is complete.

Posted on: 2010/2/23 15:28

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/8/12 18:06
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
About the clocks... I spoke to one of the City engineers and here is what I was told.

Grove Plaza. Several months ago there was a water main break on Marin Ave. PSE&G had to cut power on Newark Ave while the main was being repaired. At the end od 2 and 1/2 hours the power was restored and the clock started up again but 2 and 1/2 hours slow. Before the city dispatched someone to fix the time the electric motor that runs the clock burned out. Since then they have attemped to install a new motor but it did not fit and they are waiting for a new one. They don't have a good estimate when it will arrive.

Erie Street. The first part of the story is the same as for the clock at Grove Plaza but the motor did not burn out. The truck that was delovering the Planters and garbage cans for Newark Avenue hit it. The city has been in contact with the trucking company and its insurance carrier. The city had to disconnect the clock from power for safety reasons and is waiting for the insurance carrier to agree to the repairs to the cast iron case.

Posted on: 2010/1/14 19:55

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/3/2 4:24
Group:
Registered Users
The lights are not working and the old light parts remain because PSE&G is S-L-O-W..... The city has asked - and asked - and asked, all to no avail.
They move when they are ready.

Posted on: 2010/1/14 11:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/2/9 14:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

mercer1974 wrote:
Does anyone know why some of the new street lights are not on/not working?

And why are the old streetlights still not fully removed (the bases are still rooted to the ground) and the sidewalk still not fully completed? It appears the work has tailed off, many details still need completion!

Posted on: 2010/1/13 0:32

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/4/14 20:45
Group:
Registered Users
Does anyone know why some of the new street lights are not on/not working?

Posted on: 2010/1/12 23:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/6/20 2:33
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

I_heart_JC wrote:
Quote:

Iwitness wrote:
Why would a painter be fixing a clock?

ooh! ooh! I know this one!

give me a sec...

Aww, that's an old one!

"Because the paint took too long to dry!"

Posted on: 2009/12/2 21:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
They wouldn't necessarily know, but they may be part of a larger "fix it" crew to take care of the clocks. I will rephrase. I asked the handyman who happened to be painting the clock at the time...

Posted on: 2009/12/2 20:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Iwitness wrote:
Quote:

srg1 wrote:
I do not understand why they didn't time the placing of the planters better with the timing of when they would actually fill them up with plants. It is stupid to have those things sitting empty. It is Jersey City. Of course people are going to fill them up with garbage.

I asked the painters if they were going to fix the Grove Street clock and they laughed and said "yes." Although based on the way they looked at me, I am not sure if they understood English.

ooh! ooh! I know this one!

give me a sec...

Posted on: 2009/12/2 8:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/29 4:12
Group:
Banned
Quote:

srg1 wrote:
I do not understand why they didn't time the placing of the planters better with the timing of when they would actually fill them up with plants. It is stupid to have those things sitting empty. It is Jersey City. Of course people are going to fill them up with garbage.

I asked the painters if they were going to fix the Grove Street clock and they laughed and said "yes." Although based on the way they looked at me, I am not sure if they understood English.

Posted on: 2009/12/2 5:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/24 16:14
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

srg1 wrote:
I asked the painters if they were going to fix the Grove Street clock and they laughed and said "yes."

Classic.

Posted on: 2009/12/2 1:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2009/12/1 23:51

New Planters on Newark
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/9/17 18:39
Group:
Registered Users
Just an FYI. The new planters are not garbage cans. There is a new garbage cans right next to the planters. The city will empty the cans but forget about them emptying the planters. Come on people

Posted on: 2009/12/1 21:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/9/17 18:39
Group:
Registered Users
My favorite about the clocks is they have not worked for months. I say clocks because there is the other on at the Grove station. The biggest giggle I got last year was they never changed the clocks for daylight savings. One week before we went behind, they changed the clocks ahead to correct the time for the last week. Then the clocks were off once again. LOL

Posted on: 2009/11/26 2:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/7/15 3:35
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
Has anyone noticed the clock on the corner of Newark and Erie, right outside Milano Furniture?

Something happened to it recently in the past few days.

It got painted from green to black, but now the top of the clock is dislodged. And there are now barriers around it as if it will fall off.

I am thinking when whomever painted it, they leaned their ladders up against the face of the clock, and then when they climbed up, the person's body weight busted the clock at it was not designed to be leaned up against.

This is my guess. Anyone know what really happened?

Will it be fixed?

Hey. Thanks for the Trash cans.

Posted on: 2009/11/26 1:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/7/22 15:58
Group:
Registered Users
I?m writing in to apologize for a post I sent in a while back. In that note I was pointing out the new sidewalk planters, low steel boxes at the edge of the curb on portions of Newark starting at India Square and running East several blocks. At the time it seamed to me that the boxes would be quickly vandalized, that the plants would be too high maintenance to survive long and would soon be dead leaf eyesores attracting rubbish. Well it has been a few months now and all the planters are in great shape, they spruce up sidewalks that were otherwise sort of glum, and they have not filled up with trash. I was completely wrong. Also, as I recall the note I sent off was in a snarky whiney voice. Too often I put up stuff that expresses what I want to say, but later I rethink the way I expressed myself and it sounds too mean spirited. In this note I hope I leave the reader feeling nice, not bitter.

Posted on: 2009/11/15 14:54

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 7 ... 10 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017