Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
93 user(s) are online (82 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 93

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 14 15 16 (17) 18 19 20 ... 45 »

Re: Hamilton Park Renovation - Update
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/26 20:09
Group:
Banned
Maybe the H is for Hudson.

Posted on: 2009/11/23 1:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/11/4 21:55
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
For the lamp posts, H for Hoboken or Hamilton who cares ?
Actually it is nice to see consistency of style across towns.

Posted on: 2009/11/23 0:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

JC_DowntownRegular wrote:
Also, millions can be spent now, but if there is no follow up over the years, the money can still be considered wasted.

Hence the Conservancy to provide that maintenance and break the cycle.

Posted on: 2009/11/22 21:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/24 16:14
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Am I imagining things or are those new lampposts surplus from Hoboken's Washington St right down to the little white H on top?

Posted on: 2009/11/22 21:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
BTW? How's about Councilman Fulop and Green Construction set up a table one of these afternoons/early evenings at 8th Street and McWilliams? That way they can answer residents questions about the progress and completion date. So many people in the neighborhood are curious about the park but have no idea where to get some simple answers. It would be good community relations.

Posted on: 2009/11/22 15:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

JC_DowntownRegular wrote:
Quote:

Of course the park is going to look better. They?re spending millions...

I'm probably going to get flak over this, but I really don't care.

Throwing millions of dollars at something doesn't necessarily make things better. I'm not saying the park doesn't look somewhat better, but those two statements don't go hand in hand. I've seen many a million wasted away in the name of improvement.

Also, millions can be spent now, but if there is no follow up over the years, the money can still be considered wasted.

I agree. That fountain looks cheap and doesn't look like it's going to last long. How soon before it's tagged up and filled with garbage? Plain and simply it's going to be up to residents to maintain most of the park. The city has proven time and time again that it cannot do the job. The city only collects garbage and how many times did they chew up the grass in the park by driving through the lawn areas?! Like many new projects there is probably going to be a lot of degradation. Stuff will break, wiring will fail etc. etc. Hopefully Green Construction has some kind of warranty. Probably best to keep Steve Fulop on speed-dial.

Posted on: 2009/11/22 15:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/7/18 2:23
From Not in JC anymore
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Of course the park is going to look better. They?re spending millions...

I'm probably going to get flak over this, but I really don't care.

Throwing millions of dollars at something doesn't necessarily make things better. I'm not saying the park doesn't look somewhat better, but those two statements don't go hand in hand. I've seen many a million wasted away in the name of improvement.

Posted on: 2009/11/22 13:58
- Never argue with an idiot. They bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/10/2 19:00
From Jersey Cxxx
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2009/11/22 6:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Wow, you're the perfect example of who I wish would stop "taking ownership" of HP issues.

Yes, everything would be better if you didn't do that. k, thx.

Posted on: 2009/11/22 4:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/11/9 13:22
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Iwitness wrote:

Minnie:

In no small part, I'm sure, to avoid the petty fiefdom squabbles which you elevated to an artform.

Nice try, though. Nobody beats a drum against an enemy that doesn't exist quite like you do.

Do you think that wanting sprinklers to keep the parks grass green is petty? Were you at the spring 2007 meeting when the plans called for no irrigation? I suppose I was being petty when I brought the subject up.

Do you think that bringing attention to the 100 year old trees that were rumored to be cut down from the park was being petty? I wonder how many more trees may have been downed if I hadn?t run that article in the newspaper.

Was I being petty when I pushed for a fountain to resemble the parks historic fountain from the old postcard of the park? The park is, afterall, in the historic district.

Should I have cancelled the 2005/2006 farmers market back when there was none because HPNA reps were calling the Councilman asking him to shut it down?

I don?t know who you are? or perhaps I do, but your writing on this thread seems very bitter whenever someone has a concern about the park, the renovation, or a complaint of any kind. They all have legitimate concerns!

Of course the park is going to look better. They?re spending millions and the contractor, Green Construction is working diligently to finish the job. But not everyone here on this board was involved in the process or understands how politics works? and yet, some of us do.

Posted on: 2009/11/22 4:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/7/15 3:35
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
Walked by the park this afternoon. Looking good. I also like the pine trees between the dog runs and the tennis courts.

Also. WOW. That is some jungle gym they've installed. It's huge. Will there be fencing around the play areas to keep the children inside? I hope its not chain link fencing like what was around the playground last time.

Just curious, are there plans to fix the iron fences around the perimeter of the park? I notices some sections need some tlc and some black paint. Also will the gray stone entrances be repainted as well?

Not sure they will be finished though by the end of the year. There is still a bunch of work that needs to be done over by the old basketball court.

FG

Posted on: 2009/11/22 0:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
The new lamps look nice. It's not too late to do something about the major sound issues with the basketball court. Perhaps a low slung wall with some bushes to help deaden some of the sound. I am a little shocked that there is no fence around the playground. The old one was a constant hang-out for teenagers and the like who would leave it trashed. No one except kids and their caretakers should be in that playground.

Posted on: 2009/11/21 21:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
I don't know why, but I was exceptionally excited to see the sprinklers working last week.

Posted on: 2009/11/21 19:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/11/4 21:55
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
The lamp posts look very similar to the "new old" ones in Paris, it's really nice. I am also really pleased in the way they put greenery around the dog runs and tennis courts. It neutralizes the view of the fences, and should act as a sound buffer somewhat. Starting to look exciting !

Posted on: 2009/11/21 19:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/16 19:07
Group:
Registered Users
IMGP9076rd.jpg

Posted on: 2009/11/21 18:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/18 1:45
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
I think I'm in a minority of one who loved the old lights.

Subdued Green lighting made the park look beautiful in the evenings, especilly in the winter with snow on the ground.

Robin.

Posted on: 2009/11/21 14:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
I was also excited by the delivery and installation of some of the lights.

Posted on: 2009/11/21 14:12

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/5/8 22:31
Group:
Registered Users
the lights were delivered yesterday.....I can't wait for this fantastic park to reopen...pardon the cliche but it is the life blood of this community....I love Hamilton Park!!!!!

Posted on: 2009/11/21 13:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
There were tons of plants delivered to the park this week for planting. Also the plans call for plantings at the entrances.

Posted on: 2009/11/21 13:42

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/10/26 17:52
From the best stuff on earth
Group:
Registered Users
I liked the gardens in Ham Park while they lasted. They really added something nice that my family and I felt the park sorely needed. I don't think new pavers or amenities are going to negate the need for shrubbery and seasonal color.
There's a high probability the playground equipment and fountain are eventually gonna get trashed or become neglected someday, too. Does that mean they shouldn't be installed either? At a minimum, a park this size should have space for flower beds in all four corners.

Posted on: 2009/11/21 10:50
My signature will be a funny quote and/or observation.

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/5/5 18:35
Group:
Registered Users
I for one would not want the "FOH" to maintain 'gardens" in the park when they cannot even maintain their blog!

You cannot have community members volunteer to "build" gardens when everyone has different tastes and aesthetic sensibility...the previous 'community garden' was such an eyesore that only about 2 people maintained and the vast majority found wholly unappealing.

WHY can't people plant their own gardens in their backyards, or find a vacant lot to beautify (there are plenty of those!) and please leave the public park to the professional landscapers.

Or maybe you could share the "children's community garden" surely you could muscle them out of the way.

Posted on: 2009/11/21 0:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/29 4:12
Group:
Banned
Minnie:

Nobody, HPNA or otherwise, has said in this thread that they oppose gardens in Hamilton Park. I believe what Sam stated was that he and other members of the community, as well as the City, opposed community-run gardens in public parks. In no small part, I'm sure, to avoid the petty fiefdom squabbles which you elevated to an artform.

Nice try, though. Nobody beats a drum against an enemy that doesn't exist quite like you do.

Posted on: 2009/11/20 22:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/11/9 13:22
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

SamS wrote:

Other than when the HPNA headed up a park clean up a year and half ago, I don't ever remember seeing or hearing about some neighbors voluntarily, cleaning up or trimming back the gardens around the gazebo.

I?ve attached a link to the old FoHP website. Scroll down to the November 19th blog to read up and view photos of the gazebo-garden cleanup work by community volunteers not affiliated with the HPNA.

http://friendsofhp.blogspot.com/2006_11_01_archive.html

For anyone to say that community residents don?t want gardens in Hamilton Park is absurd. I was present during the renovation meetings and voting process and know this to be incorrect. If I recall correctly, the top three items that the community voted for to come from this renovation was a dog run, adequate children?s play areas and gardens & green space. All the other things followed received much fewer votes.

I don?t believe the City is opposed to having community residents involved in the planting and/or maintenance of park gardens. On the contrary, there are plenty of gardening groups throughout the city doing just that. And believe me? the City appreciates their work, commitment and beautification efforts. However, I do believe that in the case of Hamilton Park, that the City is allowing the HPNA to call all the shots. So if the HPNA is against adding gardens or not in favor of allowing community residents to be involved and has representatives making statements that our community residents don?t want gardens in this park? then there is a problem. The best way to counter this is to let your voices be heard. Call our city officials and tell them what you want. It?s never too late to add a garden or two to the park. I?m 100% in favor of it! And this would be an excellent time to bring up the topic so that an adequate watering system can be installed since lack of water was a problem in the past.

I recall a renovation meeting in 2007 when pictures of community gardens showing adult people working in them were on display. Since these community-style gardens are not in the current plan and are not what we?re getting? then the people present during that meeting were deceived. The attached photo I?m referring to is on the FoHP blog.

http://friendsofhp.blogspot.com/2007_03_01_archive.html

What you see is not always what you get?. unless you fight for it!

Posted on: 2009/11/20 22:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Garyg wrote:
What would need to be done to get a conservancy effort off the ground? Would the city continue to be involved in any shape or form? Would the city ever contribute to such a project?

I would assume it would look a lot like the deal at VV park, with regular garbage collection and Parks & Forestry doing the minimal job it normally does, but a paid groundskeeper instead of Parkman & co doing the extra work to make the park shine. I certainly wouldn't expect the city to contribute cash to a conservancy, but resources maybe. I'm sure that volunteers with green thumbs to wield would still be welcomed with open arms, but it sets a minimum maintenance level we can be sure of.

Parkman, comments?

Posted on: 2009/11/20 21:09

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/26 15:56
Group:
Banned
What would need to be done to get a conservancy effort off the ground? Would the city continue to be involved in any shape or form? Would the city ever contribute to such a project?

Posted on: 2009/11/20 19:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/4/20 14:33
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

pooper wrote:

What park of PUBLIC park don't you get?

It would be a PUBLiC park with private maintenance. How's that for the best of both worlds? I'm all for the conservancy idea and would gladly pitch in.

Posted on: 2009/11/20 19:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

pooper wrote:
Quote:

brewster wrote:

So it's better to sit in the dark and complain than light a candle, because candles cost money, might burn you, contribute to global warming, and maybe someone else could have bought that candle if you hadn't. Perfect.

Nice metaphor. I see what you did there, but I'm not the one complaining about trees and flowers and swingsets. I'm excited about the renovation. Just keep a public park public is all I'm saying.

I still don't see how collecting money to pay someone to keep it clean and the landscaping tidy takes the park away from anyone. But some Downtowners resist change of any sort, terrified that some perk of theirs might be jeopardized. I've been here long enough to recall when talk of a HP dog run regardless of size brought howls of opposition from the dog people. It's taken us a decade to make it up that hill.

We're not talking about issuing private keys to the gate like Gramercy Park. Central Park has become a jewel under it's conservancy, rather than the dangerous wasteland it was during the city's lean years. Let's open our minds.

Posted on: 2009/11/20 18:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

brewster wrote:

So it's better to sit in the dark and complain than light a candle, because candles cost money, might burn you, contribute to global warming, and maybe someone else could have bought that candle if you hadn't. Perfect.

Nice metaphor. I see what you did there, but I'm not the one complaining about trees and flowers and swingsets. I'm excited about the renovation. Just keep a public park public is all I'm saying.

Posted on: 2009/11/20 17:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

pooper wrote:
Okay, so they exist. I'm aware. Would you care to include fair criticisms of this model? There's more than a few.

More importantly perhaps... Do you really think that the attempts at governing this park by committee and census have worked so far? How are a few $100 donations and a bunch of developer donations going to change this trend? Will he embankment park suffer?

Posted on: 2009/11/20 15:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Over all the park is going to look great. Everyone could scrutinize it and find something they don't like about it. But if you magnify those little issues you're just not going to enjoy it nor be happy.

Last week I saw them testing the sprinkler system which I thought looked cool and gave me a greater sense of confidence in the maintenance the green components.

It will be nice to again be able to cut through the park on my way to Basic, bring my dog to the dog run, sit in front of the fountain, be amazed by the people who play tennis even in February. Hopefully, some organization will conduct some theatrical performances in the Gazebo, perhaps we could again have the Arts In the Park Festival the weekend of the Studio Tour, the Park Festival which bring some musical performances, sale of cool second hand furniture in addition to other activities that people enjoy about the park.

Posted on: 2009/11/20 15:30

« 1 ... 14 15 16 (17) 18 19 20 ... 45 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017