Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
114 user(s) are online (85 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 114

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: Healy endorses second-generation crony for vacant council seat
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/7/30 1:08
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
there is a Ward B candidates forum tonight, Thursday, 10/21, 7pm, Duffy Hall, 725 Westside Ave.

besides the West Bergen Lincoln Park Neighborhood Coalition, it is also put together by the Jersey City Independent and should be well run.

http://www.jerseycityindependent.com/ ... ce-in-the-next-two-weeks/

Posted on: 2010/10/21 16:27

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/9/20 14:19
Group:
Registered Users
Yes he has a city car. Remember that Fox 5 Shame, Shame, Shame episode about all council members excluding Fulop receiving a City vehicle?

Posted on: 2010/10/15 13:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
does Councilman Donnelly have/use a city car?

Posted on: 2010/10/15 12:04

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/10/30 13:21
Group:
Registered Users
And from what I heard, a few weeks ago Donnelly was instrumental in the arrest of several drug dealers on Bergen Ave and Reed Street where Donnelly now has campaign office (in the Basilico). Over the summer the dealers had been very visible on both sides of the street. There was security camera footage but nothing was being done. Really ridiculous, as given what happened on Reed sreet the place should have been cleaned out and have memorial garden or something.

I heard that a few calls from Donnelly and there was a bust and it will stick because they were found in possession of drugs.

I haven't seen any press on it though. Anybody else heard about this?

Posted on: 2010/10/9 14:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/10/21 14:19
From McGinley Square
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
REALLY ??!!!!

Um yes, really. Do you live in this ward? Have you attended any community meetings here? If so, please tell me why you feel otherwise. I would be open to hearing your opinion. But if it's based solely on the process that got him into the position and not on the efforts he has made in his ward, then you'll have a hard time persuading me. I'm not saying he's superman, this part of town needs some TLC, but he's come off very approachable--way more so than Spinello, who really did seem like a sock puppet of the Healy regime.

Posted on: 2010/10/8 20:03

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/9/16 1:09
Group:
Registered Users
REALLY ??!!!!

Quote:

worm wrote:
Quote:
last year it was "Dump Donnelly", this year it is pretty quiet.

it's been quiet because David Donnelly is doing a pretty good job over here in ward B. Esther Wintner seems like a wonderful person, and I would vote for her if I thought she could do a better job, but I have seen the action that Donnelly took after the whole Reed street tragedy went down and his continual effort to clean up Bergen Ave. He's been very accessible to his constituents and seems to show the same genuine concern that this mother Mary did when she was Councilwoman. Granted, I don't agree with the process that put him in his position, but he certainly doesn't seem to be a Healy hand puppet either.

Posted on: 2010/10/8 18:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/10/21 14:19
From McGinley Square
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

it's been quiet because David Donnelly is doing a pretty good job over here in ward B. Esther Wintner seems like a wonderful person, and I would vote for her if I thought she could do a better job, but I have seen the action that Donnelly took after the whole Reed street tragedy went down and his continual effort to clean up Bergen Ave. He's been very accessible to his constituents and seems to show the same genuine concern that this mother Mary did when she was Councilwoman. Granted, I don't agree with the process that put him in his position, but he certainly doesn't seem to be a Healy hand puppet either.

Posted on: 2010/10/8 16:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/9/22 3:11
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

DanL wrote:
we are here a year later with the special Ward B election upon us.

are those that labeled David Donnelly a "second-generation crony" going to step it up and help/support Esther Wintner

Isn't she a teabagger ? I could never support one of those people.

Posted on: 2010/10/6 23:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/6/27 3:00
Group:
Registered Users
I've only been to a few council meetings this year, but based on the votes I saw him take, I'm not sure I would classify him as a second generation crony.

Posted on: 2010/10/6 16:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
we are here a year later with the special Ward B election upon us.

are those that labeled David Donnelly a "second-generation crony" going to step it up and help/support Esther Wintner's or another candidate's campaign for the Ward B council seat?

clearly, our council has not effectively moved in any meaningful manner to address our pending $80m deficient, nor on other critical issues facing our city. would this not be the moment to start turning the page and break from the past?

Posted on: 2010/10/6 14:18

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/11/24 18:54
Group:
Registered Users
t. have i offended you in some way? My begging often gets the best of me, so i'm sorry if i disturbed your concentration. You coulda just said "hey, shut up, you little blogger" or something similarly minimizing. seriously though, say hello next time you see me, i won't bite. : )

Posted on: 2009/10/15 19:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

T-Bird wrote:
... You were there, but often involved in trying to drum up stories for your little blog...

The title you gave this thread makes this seem like "your little blog!"

Posted on: 2009/10/15 16:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/25 20:40
From somewhere else
Group:
Registered Users
There was yucking - I would just say that not much of it involved Fulop. Is he cordial and does he laugh at the occasional joke? Yes. I was there. You were there, but often involved in trying to drum up stories for your little blog. I'm surprised you would have been able to notice all the yucking. By the way, when you are begging someone for an interview, would you please take it out in the hall? It's disruptive for the people who are actually there to listen to what is going on.

Posted on: 2009/10/15 16:15

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
oh, there was plenty yucking going on. surprised you would say otherwise. nothing wrong with their yucking (although, a skillet to the head is always comedy gold), it was just interesting, considering the vehemence of the councilman's past rhetoric.

Posted on: 2009/10/15 15:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
It's official! Donnelly named to City Council

Thursday, October 15, 2009
By MELISSA HAYES
JOURNAL STAFF WRITER

David Donnelly is moving from the mayor's office to the City Council.

The special aide to Mayor Jerramiah T. Healy was appointed Ward B councilman during last night's meeting in a 7-1 vote. Ward F Councilwoman Viola Richardson abstained saying she had nothing against Donnelly but felt the process was rushed.

Donnelly, 39, will fill the unexpired term of Ward B Councilman Phil Kenny, who resigned after pleading guilty last week to accepting $5,000 in bribes from an FBI informant.

"I just want to thank my colleagues for their support and their trust in me, for supporting me and voting for me," he said. "I just want to thank my mother and father for raising me well and just hope I can do half the job my mother did."

Donnelly's mother Mary, who served as Ward B councilwoman from 1997 to 2005, held the Bible as he took the oath of office.

"I will work as hard as I possibly can," he said after the swearing in. "I believe government should be a vocation. I will work so hard."

Council members praised Donnelly for his experience and knowledge. Ward D Councilman William Gaughan said he reviewed five residents resumes before throwing his support behind Donnelly.

"David Donnelly's resume outshone the others," he said. "Fortunately, he's had an array of experience in government at various levels."

Richardson said her vote did not reflect on Donnelly's ability to serve Ward B.

"I believe David is a very confident young man. I believe David will do well on the council," she said. "I don't see a need to rush tonight to do this."

Richardson said she felt the council should "take a step back."

"We need to take a step back and see where we are going," she said. "Right now things are in an uproar. Everyone is looking at us suspiciously."

She said Kenny's guilty plea was unexpected. He was not among the 44 charged July 23 in a massive federal corruption and money laundering sting tied to the information.

Ward E Councilman Steve Fulop said he, too, felt the process was rushed and that the council should have sought advice from the community. However, Fulop supported Donnelly.

He said the council has been in a "freefall" and hopes it can now move forward.

Prior to appointing Donnelly, the council also named At-Large Councilman Peter Brennan as the council president. He replaces Mariano Vega who resigned that seat, but not from the council, after being charged in the July corruption sting.

Gaughan replaces Brennan as president pro tem.

Posted on: 2009/10/15 15:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From somewhere else
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

blogcityblog wrote:
it was interesting to see Fulop and Gaughan yucking it up together before, and during, the meeting ...

Odd, I didn't notice yucking, per se. They did speak together several times. May have had something to do with council matters, even. What is it you are looking for, exactly? Do you expect Fulop to sneak up behind each one of them and hit them over the head with a skillet? Or throw rocks at them from his chair?

Posted on: 2009/10/15 15:41

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
it was interesting to see Fulop and Gaughan yucking it up together before, and during, the meeting ...

Posted on: 2009/10/15 15:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/4/2 20:55
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Shadow wrote:
If Donnelly is made Councilman of Ward B look for a putsch to develop aligning Donnelly & Fulop in an overthrow of the Healy regime. Payback for Momma having to slide south to Bayonne.

Fulop voted aye for Donnelly. It's starting. The Shadow knows.

Posted on: 2009/10/15 4:17

David Donnelly speaks
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Just in case you missed it, and by the looks of it, many of you did, the city council (including Councilman Steve Fulop) approved the Donnelly appointment at tonight's city council meeting. Donnelly spoke to BCB. Hear the interview on the blog.

Posted on: 2009/10/15 3:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From somewhere else
Group:
Registered Users
Okay - is this where I'm supposed to say something like "I'm rubber you're glue?"

Seriously, look at how campaign dollars flow. Please. Please. I'll walk you through it if necessary (and I don't say that condescendingly - the system is very poorly designed and difficult to use.) It's a far more useful exercise than posing "magical hypotheticals." As outrageous (and outraging) as the corruption arrests and convictions are, they are a sideshow full of salacious details that have whipped up short-lived anger. The main event is the ongoing movement of dollars from one cog to another, day after day, week after week, month after month... you get the picture. Where do those dollars come from and what is the return on investment? That is what people should be walking around city hall with signs and bullhorns about. Every week. Rain or shine. So what if Vega ends up convicted and out of office? The next dandelion will sprout right back up from the same root.

There is no question that some people who made significant contributions would end up with jobs in a Levin or Fulop administration. For starters, the numbers (people who actually vote, people among that subset [if we assume that a ranking city employee should be engaged enough to vote] who are qualified to hold a professional managerial-type job) are such that it would be hard to avoid.

The point I'm making is that if you were to look at our imaginary winner's campaign contributors in October 2013, what you wouldn't find is that all of their contributors are now on the city payroll or soon to be. Nor would you find scores of businesses and individuals with fresh services contracts. Nor would you find a long list of the customary barnacles (professional overhead types) who move from winning ship to winning ship. That is a bet I'll happily make with you and offer you odds while I'm at it.

I'm not saying that there aren't qualified people among those who line up for a seat at the table for some patronage pork pie. I'm just saying that if you play that game (making significant contributions to the machine candidates), you reasonably leave yourself open to question.

Posted on: 2009/10/14 15:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/29 4:12
Group:
Banned
Quote:

T-Bird wrote:
Quote:

Iwitness wrote:
Wait, somebody exercised their First Amendment rights and made a campaign contribution within lawful limits? Heavens no!

You should spend the time to look into campaign contributions for Santa Healy and his reindeer so you can make an informed statement and contribute intelligence to the dialogue. You don't have to agree with me, but at least know what you are talking about. It's quite clear from your breathless hyperbole that you don't.

The essentially perfect correlation between campaign donors and either:
1) people on the city and/or county payroll, or
2) companies/people with contracts with the city

speaks volumes for both the recipients and the donors. Are they all criminals? Of course not. Does their knowing participation in a self-perpetuating system that benefits them say something about them? Very much so.

Ooooooh, touchy.

Let's fast forward to a magical hypothetical: in the next mayoral election, whether scheduled or "special" pursuant to a resignation, either Levin or Fulop wins the vote (whichever suits your agenda, either will work for purposes of this hypothetical). As part of the process of performing the long-awaited "clean sweep" so artfully articulated in youtube videos, the generations of "cronies" populating city jobs and not otherwise protected by contracts are bounced. Who replaces them? My money's on folks who worked their asses off to get FulopLevin into office (provided they're qualified for the position, of course.) Or, all other things being equal, the person who demonstrated their willingness to go to the mat for the now elected official will have a leg up over somebody with no political affiliation.

Now, let's fast-forward again, to the next election cycle. Where that person who now collects a city pay check cuts a check to have their mayor re-elected. Regrdless of whether it's out of a personal interest in keeping their job, or whether it's out of sincere belief that their guy is the right guy for the job, they contribute to the campaign to have that person re-elected.

Are you willing to paint this same person with the same broad brush? Or better, are you suggesting that Fulop or Levin has or should take a position that nobody who ever contributed to either of their campaigns would be eligible for employment in their administration?

Get back to me on that. In the mean time, I'll be trying to catch my breath. LOL.

Quote:

But, I guess anyone can stand on a street corner and yell the sky is falling. Only in America.

As you've consistently demonstrated. Although I'm pretty sure you could do so in Canada, and the UK, and Ireland, to name a few other places. Lest we engage in hyperbole.

Posted on: 2009/10/14 13:42

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/9/20 14:19
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

blogcityblog wrote:
Mayor Donnelly, anyone?
Rampant speculation on the blog. Join in the fun.

I think I have the taste of vomit in my mouth.

Posted on: 2009/10/14 12:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From somewhere else
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Iwitness wrote:
Wait, somebody exercised their First Amendment rights and made a campaign contribution within lawful limits? Heavens no!

You should spend the time to look into campaign contributions for Santa Healy and his reindeer so you can make an informed statement and contribute intelligence to the dialogue. You don't have to agree with me, but at least know what you are talking about. It's quite clear from your breathless hyperbole that you don't.

The essentially perfect correlation between campaign donors and either:
1) people on the city and/or county payroll, or
2) companies/people with contracts with the city

speaks volumes for both the recipients and the donors. Are they all criminals? Of course not. Does their knowing participation in a self-perpetuating system that benefits them say something about them? Very much so.

But, I guess anyone can stand on a street corner and yell the sky is falling. Only in America.

Posted on: 2009/10/14 11:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

12345 wrote:
I would like to donate $500.00 to Healy and get a City Job in return just like Donnelly did.

Iwitness will you please harass anyone who questions my First Amendment right to make this transaction.

"Just like"? Which Donnelly are you alleging got a City job after making a campaign contribution to Team Jersey City in March of 2009?

Posted on: 2009/10/14 5:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/11/28 18:03
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
I would like to donate $500.00 to Healy and get a City Job in return just like Donnelly did.

Iwitness will you please harass anyone who questions my First Amendment right to make this transaction.

Posted on: 2009/10/14 4:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

T-Bird wrote:
Anyone planning to go to the council meeting tomorrow night? Should be interesting. Donnelly nomination, 77 Hudson with hat in hand, Brennan coronation as council president.

And for what it's worth: Whatever bad blood that is perceived to exist between Mary Donnelly and the Healy team, she gave $500 to Team Jersey City in March - David gave $550 to Healy. Say what you will about the many positive things the Donnellys may have done for the city, the machine takes care of its own - and vice versa.

Welcome to JCList, where lawful participation in the political process makes you either messiah or pariah, depending on who you write the check to.

Smear away.

Posted on: 2009/10/14 4:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From somewhere else
Group:
Registered Users
Anyone planning to go to the council meeting tomorrow night? Should be interesting. Donnelly nomination, 77 Hudson with hat in hand, Brennan coronation as council president.

And for what it's worth: Whatever bad blood that is perceived to exist between Mary Donnelly and the Healy team, she gave $500 to Team Jersey City in March - David gave $550 to Healy. Say what you will about the many positive things the Donnellys may have done for the city, the machine takes care of its own - and vice versa.

Posted on: 2009/10/14 2:05

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Mayor Donnelly, anyone?
Rampant speculation on the blog. Join in the fun.

Posted on: 2009/10/13 20:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/4/2 20:55
Group:
Registered Users
If Donnelly is made Councilman of Ward B look for a putsch to develop aligning Donnelly & Fulop in an overthrow of the Healy regime. Payback for Momma having to slide south to Bayonne.

Posted on: 2009/10/10 21:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From somewhere else
Group:
Registered Users
Amen, Andrew.

Posted on: 2009/10/10 19:59