Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
100 user(s) are online (87 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 100

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: TRANSFORMATION OF VACANT FIRST STREET PARK TO BEGIN
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/4/25 1:25
Group:
Banned
Apartments at 390 First are finally being listed for sale:

http://u.zillow.com/p2JCU5F

Anyone know why the description says the park is going to be private?

Posted on: 2012/12/9 15:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/8/18 23:27
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

RobC wrote:
Quote:
when you say "cut down the trees," how many trees are we talking here? 'cause to me, trees make a park.

They are Honey Locust trees planted in 1974 when the current park was constructed. Unfortunately, we were already informed by the city that in their opinion the trees have overgrown the space, and the root systems are in extremely poor condition. They were planning on removing them regardless of any redesign of the park.

If anyone knows me, and the commitment the VNA has to trees, they'd know if it were up to us we would have kept ALL of them. We are hoping for a compromise which would leave one of the existing trees, but the city feels they are too much of a safety concern. Trust me, we're trying. Regardless of the outcome, all of the current design proposals have a generous amount of new trees.

www.jcvillage.org

But yet, Indio's is still open for business. That is a much bigger safety concern for the park area than any tree.

Posted on: 2009/10/31 16:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/2/9 14:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

DowntownSteve28 wrote:
Quote:

jaah37 wrote:
Quote:

DowntownSteve28 wrote:
Quote:
The First Street Park redevelopment project is expected to be completed by Fall 2011.

TWO YEARS???

No work on the park can happen until the building being renovated to the left of it is completed.

Then why the fuuuuudge were the trees torn down so quickly???

Read post #21...the answer to your question has already been covered.

Posted on: 2009/10/31 16:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

DowntownSteve28 wrote:
Quote:

jaah37 wrote:
Quote:

DowntownSteve28 wrote:
Quote:
The First Street Park redevelopment project is expected to be completed by Fall 2011.

TWO YEARS???

No work on the park can happen until the building being renovated to the left of it is completed.

^^That

Posted on: 2009/10/31 13:13

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/25 2:12
Group:
Banned
Quote:

jaah37 wrote:
Quote:

DowntownSteve28 wrote:
Quote:

TWO YEARS???

Posted on: 2009/10/31 6:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

DowntownSteve28 wrote:
Quote:

TWO YEARS???

Posted on: 2009/10/30 20:36

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

TWO YEARS???

Posted on: 2009/10/30 16:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Taken from the above link:

"Landforms Detail

Landforms can be stood on, slept on, rolled down, or viewed from afar."

OK.....slept on? we know who will be sleeping on them... or more likely sleeping it off on them.

Viewed from afar? How afar are we talking? The park is shielded on both sides with buildings and the park isn't all that large to begin with.

I've said it before, and will repeat myself: I am sure the park will look great, for a little while. The scum from across the street will destroy it quickly, and THAT BAR should be transformed to something that can actually contribute to society.

Posted on: 2009/10/29 21:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Check this link for updated info:

http://jcvillage.org/archives/1560

Posted on: 2009/10/29 19:06

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Holy shit, 1st street looks like crap now. Great job.

Posted on: 2009/10/25 3:46

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/6/1 15:46
From Departing Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users
Indio is a complete disaster. There is gotta something we can do about it.

Posted on: 2009/10/24 15:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Walk_Idiot_Walk wrote:
Many of us in the neighborhood signed a petition to get Indio's liquor license pulled, to no avail.

Call it ranting, but Indio's is a real blight on this community. I would think part of the planning process would be to remove any blighting influences to a redevelopment project. It's a shame Fulop hasn't done more to address this.

There has to be something that can be done. You simply cannot have a park across the street from an *ahem* establishment such as this.

If there is anything I can do to help close this sh1thole down, don't hesitate to let me know. I'm not interested in watching these mongrels destroy the area any further. I can't imagine them NOT destroying the new park. I'm sure there was a reason it was closed in the first place.

Posted on: 2009/10/24 12:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

srg1 wrote:
Those trees were too big. Cutting them down has completely opened up the space.

Opened up the space for what? Is there a baseball field being constructed? I've been unable to attend the meetings, so I don't know the plans for the park, but I'm afraid that it will end up with brightly colored jungle gyms and rubber matting just like every other "park" in JC. It's a real shame that outside of VVP and Hamilton Park there is no "adult space" in any park. I understand that children need places to play, but what about the adults who want to sit outside without hearing children?

Posted on: 2009/10/24 12:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/2/2 21:22
Group:
Registered Users
i really hope the trees they do put in are not the ones that are on the street that stink like fish in the spring

umm there are some LOUD partiers on 2nd. I happen to live on 1st right near the park and I hear the drunkards screaming 3rd eye blind very late. I hear this from inside my house. If people are smoking on there porch on 2nd who cares. as long as they are quiet.

Posted on: 2009/10/24 2:46

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/4/19 17:35
Group:
Registered Users
Many of us in the neighborhood signed a petition to get Indio's liquor license pulled, to no avail.

Call it ranting, but Indio's is a real blight on this community. I would think part of the planning process would be to remove any blighting influences to a redevelopment project. It's a shame Fulop hasn't done more to address this.

Posted on: 2009/10/24 2:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/9/7 0:45
Group:
Registered Users
Those trees were too big. Cutting them down has completely opened up the space.

Posted on: 2009/10/23 23:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/6/2 11:06
From Scenic McGinley Square
Group:
Registered Users
down to just stumps. I hope they are planning on re planting some trees. still good to see progress, but I will always miss the playground of broken dreams.

Posted on: 2009/10/23 23:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
They took out EVERY SINGLE TREE. It looks horrific. A park should have trees under which you can sit and read, or take refuge from the summer sun under a nice shade tree.

Posted on: 2009/10/23 22:50

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/10/26 21:06
Group:
Registered Users
It\'s really sad to see this post become a rant against local bars rather than staying on topic: the restoration of First Street Park. A lot of assumptions are being made, like the park is going to remain open all hours of the night, but unless you (that is, jclisters residing in the Village) attend the neighborhood monthly meetings and actually get involved, you\'ll never know all the facts. By the way: those noises and odors assumed to be coming from the rear of the park were actually coming from one of the 2nd Street residential balconies - there\'s a known group of partiers out there quite often. And by the way: the park has been unlocked because the city\'s parks division is going in there to cut down the trees in anticipation of construction. So to sum up: know your facts, get involved, and start an entirely different post for anti-bar complaints. See you all at the Tuesday meeting, right?

This is in response to Historyrules who states: \"A lot of assumptions are being made,\" and then goes on to indirectly accuse residents of 2nd street balcony of drug use. (see quote above)
I happen to live on one of those balconies and was a bit put off by your comments.
It seems to me that you (historyrules) are part of the people involved with the park restoration and also a member of the community board.
Your comments are irresponsible and do not seem appropriate considering that the community board should be, at least partly, to build community cohesiveness and togetherness.
All of the people that I have met that live in the buildings with balconies on 2nd street are hardworking tax paying citizens. Most do use their balconies and some do play music that is a bit loud but never past a reasonable hour. I have never smelled any drugs coming from any of the balconies and if I did and it bothered me I would go back into my apartment and mind my business. All of them really care about the neighborhood and would like to part of a neighborhood that is friendly and that look out for each other.
I really don\'t want to be rude. But I would suggest that if your going to keep an eye on anything going on in the neighborhood you should be looking out for strangers hanging around the area. Considering that there were at least two robberies that I\'m aware of that occurred on 2nd street last winter.
Please get to know your neighbors before commenting and making accusations about them.
Lets just get along so we can build a great neighborhood.

Posted on: 2009/10/23 21:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/22 6:01
Group:
Registered Users
looking forward to tonight's meeting. would like to help out.

Posted on: 2009/10/13 14:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/24 16:14
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Did someone say bocce ball court? Please keep.

Posted on: 2009/10/13 1:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/12/12 21:42
From on van vorst park
Group:
Registered Users
Congratulations to the VNA for your years of hard work towards trying to get this pocket park renovated and to your success in making this a reality. Hopefully the surrounding community will come together to embrace your efforts and expand the positive steps made towards further improvement of the neighborhood.

Don?t rely on jclist for too much positive feedback?keep up the great volunteer effort.

Posted on: 2009/10/13 1:16

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/3/14 4:37
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
when you say "cut down the trees," how many trees are we talking here? 'cause to me, trees make a park.

They are Honey Locust trees planted in 1974 when the current park was constructed. Unfortunately, we were already informed by the city that in their opinion the trees have overgrown the space, and the root systems are in extremely poor condition. They were planning on removing them regardless of any redesign of the park.

If anyone knows me, and the commitment the VNA has to trees, they'd know if it were up to us we would have kept ALL of them. We are hoping for a compromise which would leave one of the existing trees, but the city feels they are too much of a safety concern. Trust me, we're trying. Regardless of the outcome, all of the current design proposals have a generous amount of new trees.

www.jcvillage.org

Posted on: 2009/10/13 0:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/22 6:01
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2009/10/12 20:40

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

historyrules wrote:
It's really sad to see this post become a rant against local bars rather than staying on topic: the restoration of First Street Park.

I really don't like your attitude. Please tell me you're not actually the one in charge of this project.

Quote:

By the way: those noises and odors assumed to be coming from the rear of the park were actually coming from one of the 2nd Street residential balconies - there's a known group of partiers out there quite often.

Don't tell me what I saw. I was there; you weren't. People were in the park. "Certain people" (trying to stay on topic here) hang out in front of that park at all hours of the night as it is, and they will continue to do so regardless of whether or not the park is open at night.

Posted on: 2009/10/12 20:37

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/8/23 16:00
Group:
Registered Users
Is that a bocce ball court on the right side? See you Tuesday.

Posted on: 2009/10/12 16:00

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/9/17 12:03
Group:
Registered Users
Getting back to the First Street Park restoration project... Here are a few iPhone images from this past summer showing the first of two site visits to the park. Four landscape architecture firms from the New York region attended, took notes, measurements, photos. The VNA First Street Park Restoration Committee and the developer of the adjacent abandoned tenement, Gotham West, toured the park with the firms and provided them with information that would help guide their designs. And now, weeks later, they will be sharing their visions for a transformed park at Tuesday's meeting in order to accept feedback from the Village community. www.jcvillage.org

Posted on: 2009/10/12 12:08

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/9/17 12:03
Group:
Registered Users
It's really sad to see this post become a rant against local bars rather than staying on topic: the restoration of First Street Park. A lot of assumptions are being made, like the park is going to remain open all hours of the night, but unless you (that is, jclisters residing in the Village) attend the neighborhood monthly meetings and actually get involved, you'll never know all the facts. By the way: those noises and odors assumed to be coming from the rear of the park were actually coming from one of the 2nd Street residential balconies - there's a known group of partiers out there quite often. And by the way: the park has been unlocked because the city's parks division is going in there to cut down the trees in anticipation of construction. So to sum up: know your facts, get involved, and start an entirely different post for anti-bar complaints. See you all at the Tuesday meeting, right?

Posted on: 2009/10/12 11:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/6/2 11:06
From Scenic McGinley Square
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Walk_Idiot_Walk wrote:
I wish you all luck. But until Indio's Place is closed down that block will still be a mess. A beautiful Park with a bunch of cretins lurking across the street. Ugh.

As someone who lives within sight if Indios I am intimately familiar with all the goings on (even had my car hit by one of them leaving drunk as a skunk). What can we the residents do to get them out of here? Calling the cops every time something happens just isn't practical. Plus the cops rarely do anything. Can they be closed down for code violations, or something similar to that? I would love nothing more then to have that park open, and Indios, and the Latin Lounge closed forever.

Posted on: 2009/10/12 10:03

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Just walked by during my evening walk and not only is the gate open, but I heard low voices coming from the back of the park, along with the smell of a notoriously aromatic controlled substance.

Good luck with your park. You'll #OOPS#ing need it.

Sorry if this post is not a reflection of positivity or whatever.

Posted on: 2009/10/12 6:09

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017