Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
66 user(s) are online (62 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 66

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Woman Murdered - 135 Amity Street (Near The Beacon)
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/9/11 2:51
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

marybarr wrote:
THIS is what I want enforcement to focus on...violent crimes. Unfortunately most violence is against women.

It is what I would like to see the JCPD focus on also. 1 bone to pick; With the exception of rape, males are more likely to become victims of violent crime. Even with rape included the victimization rate is 21.3 males per 1000 to 17.3 female per 1000. This Bureau of Justice Statistics

In NJ in 2007 of 381 murders 311 were men. However the gender should not matter. We need to have better policing for all of us.

Posted on: 2009/10/12 16:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/8/21 18:57
From NJ
Group:
Registered Users
THIS is what I want enforcement to focus on...violent crimes. Unfortunately most violence is against women.

Posted on: 2009/10/12 16:20

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/12/7 19:50
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JadedJC wrote:
P.S. Let's remember that a woman was killed. That's just awful, and we should be angry as hell about that - no matter where it happens.

As a resident of Jersey City and an owner at the Beacon, this is what I care the most about. Whether this attack occurred on Amity, Palisades or Hudson Street, any acceptance or apathy regarding this crime only feeds the next tragedy. For the upteenth time, it needs to stop.

We can only hope that our East District law enforcement will locate this murderer and put him where he belongs.

All the other nonsense, is just that, and not really worth the time ....

Posted on: 2009/10/12 15:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/5/23 10:53
Group:
Registered Users
Its funny how all the police cars are down in the area, its where the new Motorcycle unit is located.
Why havent the hookers moved away from this area or the police done anything about that area.
Its the same area that some guy got his head smashed with a brick & died if I remember right. It was right under that dark underpass.

Posted on: 2009/10/12 14:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
MURDER ON AMITY
Woman stabbed in desolate industrial area

Monday, October 12, 2009
By CHARLES HACK
JOURNAL STAFF WRITER

A 46-year-old woman died early Saturday morning after she was stabbed multiple times in a desolate industrial area in Jersey City, officials said.

A security guard called police after he spotted Frances Chisolm on the ground on Amity Street near Fairmount Avenue at 3:30 a.m., officials said.

Chisolm underwent surgery to her upper torso at the Jersey City Medical Center but was pronounced dead from her injuries at 9:25 a.m., said Hudson County Prosecutor Edward DeFazio.

She was attacked in an area known to law enforcement for prostitution, officials said.

Homicide investigators who interviewed several people believe Chisolm was stabbed close to the intersection of Amity Street and Fairmount Avenue after an argument over money.

She was able to walk a block away to nearby Woolco Foods - where the horseshoe shaped Amity Street rejoins Fairmount Avenue - before she collapsed, officials said.

At least one person is believed to have confronted the woman's attacker after the event, DeFazio said.

The man who killed Chisolm may have suffered a minor cut to his arm, officials said. Investigators believe he walked a couple of blocks to Clifton Place where a yellow taxi cab picked him up, DeFazio said.

"That is unfortunate to hear," said a 37-year-old woman in the area yesterday who goes by the name Ruby Red. She said she had known Chisolm from the area for years.

Local business owners and customers buying wholesale groceries yesterday said the area is well known for prostitution, but most of the activity is at night.

"I have never seen any problems there myself," said Bob Glade, a supervisor at the cash-and-carry wholesale grocery business, Jetro on Amity Street, near where the police think the attack happened.

"The East District has been targeting quality of life issues in that area and they will continue to do so," said Jersey City Police Lt. Edgar Martinez.

Anyone with information about this murder should contact the Hudson County Prosecutor's Homicide Unit at (201) 915-1345 or the Jersey City Police Department tip line at (201) 547-JAIL.

Posted on: 2009/10/12 14:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/1/29 1:10
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks Jaded, you're absolutely correct. I mentioned "near the Beacon" because I had no idea where Amity Street was until I looked it up on the map. I thought it would be helpful to identify where the mysterious "industrial area" that the JJ identified.

I don't care what Beacon owners think or whether my navigation point bristled readers. Another woman has died in our city. It doesn't matter where. It has happened again, senseless and brutal, and that's the tragedy of it all.

Posted on: 2009/10/12 14:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/27 0:25
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

DowntownSteve28 wrote:
Why did they write "near the beacon"? Because fear sells newspapers when it has no other merits to be sold on.

I don't live at or near the Beacon so this wording does not really affect me.. still just wanted to point that out.

Resized Image

Actually, the newspaper made no mention of the Beacon whatsoever. The OP added the parentheses, most likely as a reference point for those of us who live downtown and would otherwise have no clue where Amity Street is. Knowing Jerseymom's past posts, I'm fairly certain she in no way meant that as any sort of put-down on the Beacon itself, but when I saw that in the thread's title yesterday, I thought to myself "Oh boy, here we go again, this is gonna rile up the people who live there." It just seems to me, based on past threads, that folks at the Beacon spend too much time and energy defending where they live, and they get easily upset whenever someone mentions something bad happening in their neighborhood (including some ridiculous debate on whether or not 3 blocks could be considered near the Beacon). I have no opinion of the place one way or the other, and I think they did a stunning job with the renovation. As long as they're happy there, why should they care what others think? I live on Wayne Street. There are waaay more threads and posts about bad stuff happening on Wayne Street, but you don't see us getting all defensive about what a great investment we made, blah, blah, blah. We acknowledge the crap that happens is bad and we're angry about it - but we certainly don't shoot the messenger.

P.S. Let's remember that a woman was killed. That's just awful, and we should be angry as hell about that - no matter where it happens.

Posted on: 2009/10/12 13:05

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/25 2:12
Group:
Banned
Why did they write "near the beacon"? Because fear sells newspapers when it has no other merits to be sold on.

I don't live at or near the Beacon so this wording does not really affect me.. still just wanted to point that out.

Resized Image

Posted on: 2009/10/12 4:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users

View Larger Map Quote:
...Homicide investigators who have spoken to numerous witnesses believe she was stabbed after an argument over money. The area is known for prostitution. Her killer is believed to have been a Spanish speaking man, is believed to have walked a couple of blocks to Clifton Place where he jumped into a yellow taxi cab...
What? He "jumped into a yellow taxi cab" -- Wow, in that area at 3:30 am some cab picked up this guy off the street -- sounds hard to believe -- was it his cab -- or was it just there waiting for him...

Posted on: 2009/10/12 0:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/24 20:41
Group:
Banned
cue d-baggy posters trying to stir people up in 3...2.. oh wait never mind, it already happened

Posted on: 2009/10/11 18:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/27 0:25
Group:
Registered Users
Cue righteous and touchy Beacon owners/residents in 3...2...1...

Posted on: 2009/10/11 18:17

Woman Murdered - 135 Amity Street (Near The Beacon)
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/1/29 1:10
Group:
Registered Users
(From The Jersey Journal - Nj.com)

A 46-year-old woman died from multiple stab wounds she received in an industrial area yesterday morning, Hudson County Prosecutor Edward DeFazio said.

A security guard called the police after spotting the woman, who has been identified as Frances Chisolm of Jersey City, lying near where she collapsed near to 135 Amity St. at 3:30 a.m.

The woman underwent surgery at the Jersey City Medical Center and was pronounced dead there at 9:25 a.m., police said.

Homicide investigators who have spoken to numerous witnesses believe she was stabbed after an argument over money. The area is known for prostitution.

Her killer is believed to have been a Spanish speaking man, is believed to have walked a couple of blocks to Clifton Place where he jumped into a yellow taxi cab.

Anyone with information should contact the Hudson County Prosecutor's Homicide Unit (201) 915-1345.

Posted on: 2009/10/11 16:56

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017