Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
62 user(s) are online (58 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 62

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Top JC High School Moving to Secaucus
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Heights, rtfa. The site is nowhere near the older residential areas of Secaucus, it's by the railroad terminal & Laurel Hill Park.

Posted on: 2011/11/14 22:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

mercer1974 wrote:
Quote:

DanL wrote:
I guess the corruption scandal was good cover to make this long pending decision ......
I would hate to see County Prep leave JC, but I would be excited to be a student attending a brand new campus. The HCST already has significant interest from potential buyers of the 2 buildings, so that will help offset some of the new construction cost.

I bet Secaucus is feeling a bit uneasy have the County Prep group infiltrating their town. Seeing that the HS is a county wide public school they will have all sorts characters roming about in their quiet community.

Posted on: 2011/11/14 19:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Is the move deal dead? They just spent a bundle on a gym at the current location!

Hudson County Schools of Technology, though it eliminated team sports, has spend $850,000 to expand a gym

Posted on: 2011/11/14 16:23

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/6/30 17:43
Group:
Registered Users
Was there any mention of what is going to be done with the current site?

Posted on: 2009/10/4 23:57

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/4/14 20:45
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

DanL wrote:
I guess the corruption scandal was good cover to make this long pending decision ......

Dan, how are you linking this decision to the corruption scandal?

I would hate to see County Prep leave JC, but I would be excited to be a student attending a brand new campus. The HCST already has significant interest from potential buyers of the 2 buildings, so that will help offset some of the new construction cost.

Posted on: 2009/10/3 21:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/7/18 2:23
From Not in JC anymore
Group:
Registered Users
Hasn't all the new development in the area there been subsiding as everything is built on marshland?

Posted on: 2009/10/3 13:51
- Never argue with an idiot. They bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/11/24 18:54
Group:
Registered Users
somehow, this has got to be Jerramiah Healy and Mariano Vega's fault!

Posted on: 2009/10/3 13:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/10/30 14:07
Group:
Registered Users
the secaucus junction is mainly used as a transfer station but is also a commuter station. i believe there are direct lines to hoboken but getting there from jersey city is not very easy id you are not driving. even with a car the traffic during rush hours kind of sucks over there. beautiful corner of town though.

Posted on: 2009/10/2 17:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Dan, that's a ridiculous spot in the butt end of nowhere, what a scary area. It's only "central" in that it's equally far from anyplace people live. If your after school schedule doesn't match the bus' you're dead. A new school location in Hudson county should at least be required to be near a light rail line.

I seem to remember that the Secaucus junction station is exclusively for transfers, is that true? Or will they at least be able to get home in a few hours via Hoboken station and light rail or PATH.

Posted on: 2009/10/2 4:03

Top JC High School Moving to Secaucus
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/7/30 1:08
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
well I live in JC and I did not want to see one of our top high schools, County Prep be moved out of Jersey City.

Lost among the charter school discussions looks to be the loss of County Prep and the potential of moving highly regarded High Tech High to Jersey City. I guess the corruption scandal was good cover to make this long pending decision ......

The JC property should not be re-zoned residential without a set aside for public school facilities.

http://www.nj.com/news/jjournal/secau ... 54378386148690.xml&coll=3

Schools of Technology plan new single campus
Thursday, October 01, 2009
By CLAIRE MOSES
JOURNAL STAFF WRITER

Some familiar places for Hudson County students will be disappearing.

Hudson County Schools of Technology plans to replace its existing buildings in Jersey City and North Bergen with a new campus in Secaucus.

Although the plan to move has been in the works for about two years, it is still unclear when construction will start.

The freeholders approved the $190 million to move the two high schools to a 450,000-square-foot piece of land near the Secaucus Junction Rail Station, off Exit 15X of the Turnpike and adjacent to Laurel Hill Park in Secaucus. The land is owned by the county.

The new campus will be good for the environment and decked out with state-of-the-art equipment, said Frank Gargiulo, superintendent of the schools. It would be more expensive to make the current buildings environmentally sound than constructing a new campus, he added.

The existing buildings in the urban areas are old and in need of a lot of renovations, he said. One of the schools, he said, does not have its own gymnasium.

The Hudson County Schools of Technology include County Prep High School in Jersey City and High Tech High School in North Bergen. Gargiulo said those properties will be sold to help finance the Secaucus project. The buildings have not been put up for sale yet.

"Right now it's a matter of financing and making sure we can afford it," said Hudson County Executive Thomas DeGise.

Roughly 90 percent of the 2,000 high school students are bused to school every day, Gargiulo said. Besides the regular high school students, the Hudson County Schools of Technology also have about 2,400 adult high school students who take classes at the schools at night.

Both DeGise and Gargiulo said that the new location would reduce transportation costs because Secaucus is centrally located, there would be less traffic and there will only be one campus instead of two.

But, because the project will take a few years, current high schoolers don't have to worry about relocation and will probably not use the new campus.

Optimistically DeGise added, "maybe the freshmen."

Posted on: 2009/10/2 1:03

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017