Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
136 user(s) are online (113 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 136

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: J CITY Theater's production of PASSION
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/2/8 16:46
Group:
Registered Users
I just wanted to say thank you to all of you who attended and supported our production of PASSION. We here a J CITY Theater are tremendously grateful to our audiences who enjoyed our work and to all of the production team who made it possible.

Thank you for a great run! We look forward to seeing everyone again in December for A Tuna Christmas!

Thanks again,

Clay Cockrell
Executive Producer
J CITY Theater
www.jcity.org

Posted on: 2009/10/5 19:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Hello Everyone,
Tonight is the last performance for PASSION!
Hope to see you there!

Posted on: 2009/10/3 16:26

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/25 2:12
Group:
Banned
Cool, that sounds interesting. Thanks.

Posted on: 2009/10/1 17:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Hi DowntownSteve28,

Good question. No, this play has nothing to do with the Passion of the Christ - the movie or the Easter pageant. Not religious.

Actually, I was a little concerned when we picked the script, because of the title and the fact that our theater is under a church. I thought maybe some people would think that it is a christian play / organization. Which it is not.

It's the story of a marriage under attack - a great mix of comedy and drama.

Hope that clears it up!
Thanks,

Clay Cockrell
Executive Producer
J CITY Theater
www.jcity.org

Posted on: 2009/10/1 15:28

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/25 2:12
Group:
Banned
Is PASSION a stage adaptation of that Jesus movie?

Posted on: 2009/10/1 7:05

PASSION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/1/25 12:50
Group:
Registered Users
J City Theatre Passion

I'm very passionate about passion!!! A must see here in Jersey City @ the Underground Theatre @ St. Michael's Church 252 Ninth Street.

Posted on: 2009/10/1 5:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
I saw it last week and it was very good. At first, I thought to myself what is this? I'll leave at intermisson - but 15 minutes I was HOOKED. Almost as good as Housewives of....

The prix fixe meal at the embankment was also very good.

Posted on: 2009/9/29 19:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
This is the final week of performances for J CITY Theater?s production of PASSION, by Peter Nichols. Performances run Wednesday thru Saturday, 8pm. Audiences are encouraged to reserve tickets now ? due to limited seating and a past history of sold out performances. Reserve tickets via: www.jcity.org

What are audiences saying?

?ingenious, thought provoking theater?
?a roller coaster of laugh out loud funny and utter shock at what I was seeing!?
?I loved it ? I?m going to come again because I didn?t get to catch all that was going on?there?s just so much to absorb.?

?PASSION is a huge success!?

Come see what all the buzz is about! Hope to see you at the show.

Clay Cockrell
Executive Producer
J CITY Theater
www.jcity.org

J CITY Theater presents
PASSION by Peter Nichols
September 23 through October 3
Wednesdays, Thursdays, Fridays, Saturdays at 8:00 pm
Tix: $20.00
Tickets can be purchased through www.brownpapertickets.com or www.jcity.org or calling 800-838-3006
At
The Underground Theater at St. Michaels Church ? Hamilton Park
252 Ninth Street, Jersey City, NJ 07303

What would happen if your most private and innermost thoughts were known to the world? This is the question that is explored in this bitterly funny and savagely honest play that tells the story of a stable marriage that comes under attack by the ?ultimate sexual threat?.

Incorporating the live music of saxophonist Kevin Gosa and the work of local artist Hernando Rico Sanchez, J CITY has created an evening of captivating theater full of music and art.

PASSION is a wild ride, taunt with suspense and shocking in its audacity. Clay Cockrell, Executive Producer says: I think it?s the most dangerous script we?ve ever produced.

Posted on: 2009/9/29 16:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Thank you for the kind words! It's so nice to get this kind of support!

Just a reminder to everyone: tonight is the Artist Talk Back Session after the show. Come meet the artist: Hernando Rico Sanchez and musician Kevin Gosa to hear about their work and process.

Hope to see you there!

Clay

Posted on: 2009/9/25 18:13

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/5/8 22:31
Group:
Registered Users
great review....am going Saturday evening. There last production, The God Squad , was very moving...looking forward to PASSION

Posted on: 2009/9/24 16:01

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/3/16 2:47
Group:
Registered Users
My wife and I attended the opening of PASSION last night. It's playing in the basement of St. Michael's Church right across from Hamilton Park on 9th St.

The play is a sexy drama written in 1981 by Peter Nichols. In its current incarnation directed by Sandy Cockrell for JCity Theater, it provided a fascinating window into the moral tug-of-war familiar to me and probably anyone who's ever been in a long-term relationship.

The story is simple -- a young, beautiful woman comes on to a married man and complications arise. What was most interesting to me was the honesty with which the characters confronted each other and themselves while engaging in actions that were often completely dishonest.

The effectiveness of this well-written play is enhanced by very good acting and fantastic direction and production. The play moves quickly and the music (sax -- played live) adds an enormous amount to the atmosphere in the room. It gives the drama an almost smokey quality, like a scene out of a Humphrey Bogart film.

The acting is very, very good. Good enough --in fact-- that my ears quickly became accustomed to the inconsistent dialect skills among the cast. I believed the actors. Each one gave a soulful, truthful performance. And the cast is small enough that had even one of them been faking, the entire play would've been compromised.

J City Theater has been working in downtown JC for a few years now. The producers live downtown and they believe in having high-quality theater right here in downtown, which is why they take so much time and care with their performances. But you can truly forget about that in attending PASSION. The support you offer to this fledgling theater company by going to see this play will be more than paid back by the experience you take away from seeing it.

I've worked on one of J City Theater's productions personally and seen many of them; and to be honest, I haven't liked them all. But PASSION is a fine piece of live theater that I forcefully recommend.

Posted on: 2009/9/24 15:29

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/3/16 2:47
Group:
Registered Users
Looking forward to the opening tonight. Love this theater company.

Posted on: 2009/9/23 22:11

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/5/8 22:31
Group:
Registered Users
I'm looking forward to PASSION. We are very lucky to have such a fine theatrical group in our midst. Bravo to J CITY Theatre and all those involved!!

Posted on: 2009/9/22 20:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Hello everyone,

Just a reminder: Passion opens this Wednesday. Audiences are encouraged to reserve your tickets because seating is limited.

Also:
1. We have teamed up with The Embankment Restaurant to offer a "Dinner and Show" package for $50.00. Just reserve your ticket for Passion online ($20.00)- and on the night that you are going to see the show: bring your receipt to The Embankment to take advantage of their $30.00 Prix Fixe menu. We recommend getting to the restaurant around 6:30, to have plenty of time for your 3 course meal and then a short walk over to the theater for the 8:00pm performance.

2. We would also like to announce an Artist Talk-Back session after the show on Friday September 25th. Local artist Hernando Rico Sanchez has loaned us over 25 of his paintings and sculptures which we have incorporated into the set and in our lobby. Kevin Gosa has composed an original score which he performs during the show. Come here Kevin and Hernando talk about their work and process after the show on Friday.

Thanks everyone! Hope to see you there.

Clay Cockrell
Executive Producer
J CITY Theater
www.jcity.org

Posted on: 2009/9/22 17:02

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/11/24 18:54
Group:
Registered Users
Our thanks to JCity Theater Co. for allowing us to barge in on their rehearsal this weekend to shoot a short video feature for our blog. The show opens Wednesday in the basement theater @ St. Michael's Church on 9th Street.

Posted on: 2009/9/21 11:41

J CITY Theater's production of PASSION
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
J CITY Theater, announces the opening of their second season at The Underground Theater at St. Michaels with their most ambitious production to date.

PASSION, Peter Nichols? masterpiece dark comedy will open on Wednesday September 23rd. Performances will run Wednesday thru Saturday ? closing on October 3rd. Tickets are $20.00.

What would happen if your most private and innermost thoughts were known to the world? This is the question that is explored in this bitterly funny and savagely honest play that tells the story of a stable marriage that comes under attack by the ?ultimate sexual threat?.

Incorporating the live music of saxophonist Kevin Gosa and the work of local artist Hernando Rico Sanchez, J CITY has created an evening of captivating theater full of music and art.

PASSION is a wild ride, taunt with suspense and shocking in its audacity. Clay Cockrell, Executive Producer says: I think it?s the most dangerous script we?ve ever produced.

For ticket information go to: www.jcity.org

Audiences are encouraged to reserve their tickets early due to limited seating and a limited run.
Venue:
The Underground Theater at St. Michael's
252 9th Street between Jersey Ave and Erie Street
Jersey City, NJ

Full press release below

Contact: Clay Cockrell, J CITY Theater, 917-685-8461 / clay@jcity.org / www.jcity.org

J CITY Theater presents
PASSION by Peter Nichols
September 23 through October 3
Wednesdays, Thursdays, Fridays, Saturdays at 8:00 pm
Tix: $20.00
Tickets can be purchased through www.brownpapertickets.com or calling 800-838-3006
At
The Underground Theater at St. Michaels Church ? Hamilton Park
252 Ninth Street, Jersey City, NJ 07303

On September 23rd, 2009 J CITY Theater will open ?Passion? by Peter Nichols at The Underground Theater at St. Michael?s Church at Hamilton Park in downtown Jersey City. Performances run Wednesdays thru Saturdays at 8pm. Audiences are encouraged to reserve tickets due to limited seating and a limited run. The show is scheduled to close on October 3rd.

?What would happen if your most private and innermost thoughts were known to the world?? This is the question that famed playwright Peter Nichols explores in his masterwork, Passion. Eleanor (Sandy Cockrell) and James (Tony Cormier) enjoy a quiet and comfortable marriage until Kate (Rocio Mendez), ?the ultimate sexual threat? comes into their lives and disrupts their safety. Not satisfied with this traditional relationship triangle, the playwright creates a pentagon by bringing Jim (Kellis Carroll) and Nell (Rachel Kerbs) on stage ? who serve as the couples alter egos - allowing the audience to view a rich texture of subterfuge and deception. Rounding out the cast is Eleanor?s fiery friend Agnes (Camille Mazurek) who is a cautionary tale against bitterness and revenge. The result is a play with wonderful complexity that never seems complicated ? only very dangerous.

It?s a comedy on the outside, but screaming on the inside. A bitterly funny, savagely honest play that unfolds like a symphony, keeping the audience on the edge of their seat. ?It?s the most dangerous script I?ve ever read?, says Executive Producer Clay Cockrell. ?I went from laughing out loud to cringing with shock that people could actually say some of these things out loud. It?s like nothing we?ve ever done.?
Continued, page 2
Page 2: J CITY Theater presents ?PASSION?

Artistic Director, Sandy Cockrell, is once again creating a rich mixture of art, music and theater. ?The play?s main character is a restorer of modern art?, says Ms. Cockrell, ?And we have filled the set and lobby with the paintings of local artist Hernando Rico Sanchez. His work resonates with the intensity of the script and fills the space with color. Also, I felt it was important to reflect the musicality of the story and thus we have created a kind of seventh character in local saxophonist Kevin Gosa who will be on stage, providing an original soundtrack for the evening. As a result, I think we have created an evening of fascinating story telling filled with art and music.?

This production marks J CITY Theater?s second season in their new permanent home, The Underground Theater at St. Michael?s Church. Kellis Carroll, a founding member, says the company remains incredibly grateful to Father Vic Kennedy and everyone at St. Michaels for their continued generosity and support. ?Staying true to our mission ?Theater in The Raw?, says Mr. Carroll, ?we are able to use this venue to create a very dynamic performance space that is unique to each show. Audiences remain surprised that such high quality productions are so close to home.?

J CITY Theater (www.jcity.org) is a not-for-profit professional theater company based in Jersey City, New Jersey. It is a founding company of the Hudson County Theatre Alliance (www.hudsonall.org) and has been producing locally since 2006. Recent productions include Archibald MacLeish?s J.B., Douglas Carter Beane?s As Bees In Honey Drown, and this spring?s smash hit: The God Committee. They are also known for their engaging one act plays (Compression of a Casualty and The Spot) during HCTA?s annual One Acts Festival. J CITY Theater?s mission is to create quality, high energy theater that is told with sophisticated simplicity.
--END--

Posted on: 2009/9/16 16:09

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017