Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
116 user(s) are online (98 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 116

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 »

Re: Think again before running that red light
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/11/22 2:28
Group:
Registered Users
People are always running that light at Montgomery and Jersey. It's a scary crossing for pedestrians. As for the kids crossing whenever they feel like it (green light, on-coming traffic, jaywalking), they learn at a young age that cars will not hit them so just go. I see mothers crossing with young children all the time when the light is green, or when traffic is coming both ways (fast). It's very dangerous, and when these young kids become teenagers, it's ingrained in them that it's alright to cross busy streets like that because the cars will not hit them.

Posted on: 2009/9/27 12:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
We all agree. You can't take a 10 minute drive here without seeing or participating in at least 3 stupid ass life threatening driving situations. The lack of turn lane enforcement is simply the most ridiculous. That has to be the easiest to enforce, no one can argue about "complete stop vs roll through vs blown stop". I was hit going east on Montgomery at Jersey by a town car in the turn lane going straight, and the bastard took off.

My favorite, since I'm picking up kids from school when every school in the city is letting out, is the kids who walk across intersections regardless of the light, usually while talking on the cell, texting, or looking at their friends, often with their back to traffic, looking anywhere but at the car about to hit them.

Posted on: 2009/9/26 15:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/11/7 23:14
Group:
Registered Users
I have to jump in here on this one - if they want to install a red-light camera that might actually catch people and make a difference, it should be on 14th outside of the Holland Tunnel. ESPECIALLY at the right side of the intersection, as people make a right onto Marin Blvd. As part of my daily commute, I'm one of the fortunate that are sitting there alongside the exit, by the gas station, waiting for every other light to turn green so that WE can go, and people flying out of the tunnel come pretty close to hitting me at least once or twice a week.

The Tonnelle Circle is about the most inane place that I can think of, for a camera - the intersection itself is VERY confusing. I live right next to the circle, just off Tonnele, and I find that I myself am going through the light 3-4 times a week, because I'm stuck in the middle of the intersection behind someone that slows/stops because they can't figure out where they are, or where to go. RIDICULOUS. The state acknowledges how horrible the whole thing is - why else would there be all the construction to fix it? I live here, I drive through the thing 2-4 times a day, and yet I'm the one that would get the ticket because of some jackass in front of me.

Oh, and you want to fix the mess that is JFK, pretty much at any given time of the day but exponentially worse in the mornings? Get rid of the dollar vans! Yeah I know how "vital" they are to local commerce, but wow, they're worse than NYC taxicabs, for how erratic, WIDE, and rude they are.

Having said all of this, I really am amazed at how many people go through red lights, all over town, on a regular basis. My 2 1/2 mile daily commute always leads to at least one or two moments of total bewilderment.

Posted on: 2009/9/25 22:46

Re: Red light runners
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

wibbit wrote:
Quote:

Bogart wrote:

I suppose you also think you have the right to pull out of a parking space or driveway in front of oncoming traffic or to bypass a line of cars waiting to take an exit by driving in the through-traffic lane up to the front of the exit lane, then stopping, blocking the through traffic, while cutting into the exit lane?

Judgement call? Unbelievable.

Oh, and it sounds like you don't know or don't care that the speed limit on JFK and Montgomery is 25 MPH. I think that's ridiculously slow, but I blame the city, not the drivers.

settle down, it is a judgement call. If the intersection is wide, and the car on the opposite side is a less aggressive/slower model (ie: mini van etc..), it's perfectly fine to make the turn first, of course you also have to get a feel of the driver if he's aggressive or not. It's not dangerous if you have common sense, you will be gone before he start to accelerate.

I am sorry if you dont know how to drive in the cities, if you dont do that during rush hour you will be waiting for the entire green light while blocking a whole lane forcing everyone behind you to merge onto moving traffic at 40mph while been stationary, it is FAR more dangerous, and besides you will be running a red light anyway as when it turns from yellow to red is the only time you could make the turn, versus actually turning on green at the beginning.

and fyi, noone drives on jfk at 25mph, if you do you are forcing people again to bypass you, it's more dangerous than driving a bit faster and follow normal speed flow especially during those turns on jfk west of montgomery.

I cant believe so many people here drives like on the countryside.....

ps do i think it's fine to pullout from parking into oncoming traffic? yeah sure i do it all the time.....in GTA4 !

Obviously you are just trying to be provocative. I suppose you drive better drunk too?

P.S. Learn to Drive.

Posted on: 2009/9/19 2:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/26 3:33
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Bogart wrote:

I suppose you also think you have the right to pull out of a parking space or driveway in front of oncoming traffic or to bypass a line of cars waiting to take an exit by driving in the through-traffic lane up to the front of the exit lane, then stopping, blocking the through traffic, while cutting into the exit lane?

Oh, and it sounds like you don't know or don't care that the speed limit on JFK and Montgomery is 25 MPH. I think that's ridiculously slow, but I blame the city, not the drivers.

settle down, it is a judgement call. If the intersection is wide, and the car on the opposite side is a less aggressive/slower model (ie: mini van etc..), it's perfectly fine to make the turn first, of course you also have to get a feel of the driver if he's aggressive or not. It's not dangerous if you have common sense, you will be gone before he start to accelerate.

I am sorry if you dont know how to drive in the cities, if you dont do that during rush hour you will be waiting for the entire green light while blocking a whole lane forcing everyone behind you to merge onto moving traffic at 40mph while been stationary, it is FAR more dangerous, and besides you will be running a red light anyway as when it turns from yellow to red is the only time you could make the turn, versus actually turning on green at the beginning.

and fyi, noone drives on jfk at 25mph, if you do you are forcing people again to bypass you, it's more dangerous than driving a bit faster and follow normal speed flow especially during those turns on jfk west of montgomery.

I cant believe so many people here drives like on the countryside.....

ps do i think it's fine to pullout from parking into oncoming traffic? yeah sure i do it all the time.....in GTA4 !

Posted on: 2009/9/19 2:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/30 16:48
Group:
Registered Users
Thats the problem. I'm driving straight and you are supposed to TURN. Well if i decide to merge on monmouth to the right lane I should not have to look to my right to merge because no one sohuld've been there.

Posted on: 2009/9/18 20:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/8/27 23:48
Group:
Banned
Quote:

trambone wrote:
My gripe is with people who ignore the signs for directions int he lanes. If it says right turn only and you go straight your gonna cause an accident. Thats as bad as running a stop sign.

Yep, it happens on Monmouth to Newark all of the time. People use it to get ahead of the crowded middle lane going straight.

Posted on: 2009/9/18 19:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/30 16:48
Group:
Registered Users
My gripe is with people who ignore the signs for directions int he lanes. If it says right turn only and you go straight your gonna cause an accident. Thats as bad as running a stop sign.

Posted on: 2009/9/18 18:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/2/3 3:59
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

wibbit wrote:

there is absoutely nothing wrong with that depends on the road situation, obviously it's a judgement call. Actually i prefer people who can do that so they dont block the entire lane of traffic.

jc driving is ok, it's a lot better than nyc. The only complaint i have are slow drivers who block traffic especially on jfk and montgomery and those assholes who double park there...

Posted on: 2009/9/18 18:17
I live by the river.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/10/27 13:13
From The fog.
Group:
Registered Users
The drivers behind the first driver making the left (and who use that car as a shield) are the major douchebags.

Posted on: 2009/9/18 16:56

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/5/9 20:28
Group:
Registered Users
I respect the drivers who speed up when they see you crossing. I can understand speeding up to catch the light if its yellow, but not when it just turned green.
I have encountered this numerous times when crossing Columbus by Jersey and by the PATH.

Maybe their goal is to add a bit of excitement to the mundane life of a 'suit'...or to take us out slowly by causing spikes in our blood pressure.

Posted on: 2009/9/18 16:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/1/15 16:41
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
Jumping the light is not a "judgement call". It's being a douche.

Could not have said it better myself. Also, pedestrians tend to cross there and when drivers jump the light they endanger them.

Is it really worth it for the extra ten seconds?

Posted on: 2009/9/18 15:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

wibbit wrote:
Quote:

Bogart wrote:
The respect for all the rules of the road here is the worst I've ever seen. I don't think I ever noticed the practice of jumping out to make a left turn in front of oncoming traffic as soon as the light turns green before moving here.

there is absoutely nothing wrong with that depends on the road situation, obviously it's a judgement call. Actually i prefer people who can do that so they dont block the entire lane of traffic.

jc driving is ok, it's a lot better than nyc. The only complaint i have are slow drivers who block traffic especially on jfk and montgomery and those assholes who double park there...

Umm... No, it's actually against the law. It is a failure to yield violation. NJ Law states that you must yield to oncoming traffic. Jumping the light is not a "judgement call". It's being a douche.

Posted on: 2009/9/18 15:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/26 3:33
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Bogart wrote:
The respect for all the rules of the road here is the worst I've ever seen. I don't think I ever noticed the practice of jumping out to make a left turn in front of oncoming traffic as soon as the light turns green before moving here.

Posted on: 2009/9/18 14:09

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/6/1 12:37
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
Last night, two people were on Columbus trying to make a left on Monmouth. I was trying to make a right. The first guy could've made the left in front of me, but didn't, so the guy behind him just makes it! LOL Too bad a cop on a motorcycle was right behind me and promptly pulled him over.

The same thing happened to me at the intersection of Columbus and Monmouth, except the first car trying to make the left was yielding to ME as i was crossing over monmouth.

The second car that couldn't wait just pulled out and made the left onto monmouth and didn't bother to wait for me to cross the street.

Posted on: 2009/9/18 12:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/24 3:29
Group:
Banned
ugh yes. grand street. right up there with the turnpike ninjas on columbus.

i wish we could extend a double fine for traffic violators from outside JC -- all those commuters looking for a short cut to the tunnel.

Posted on: 2009/9/18 3:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/10/27 13:13
From The fog.
Group:
Registered Users
Grand Street eastbound during morning rush hour. They must really love their jobs.

Posted on: 2009/9/18 3:04

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/16 4:48
Group:
Registered Users
Many drivers in this town think stop signs are mere suggestions.

My favorite move is the one where someone is stopped behind a car who is actually at a stop sign, then follows that car through the intersection, despite having never stopped at the stop line themselves.

Posted on: 2009/9/18 1:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Last night, two people were on Columbus trying to make a left on Monmouth. I was trying to make a right. The first guy could've made the left in front of me, but didn't, so the guy behind him just makes it! LOL Too bad a cop on a motorcycle was right behind me and promptly pulled him over.

Posted on: 2009/9/18 1:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/2/3 3:59
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2009/9/17 22:55
I live by the river.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/6/2 11:06
From Scenic McGinley Square
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

shadrack wrote:
Absolutely. Radio blaring, phone held up to their left ear, and a gold PBA shield affixed to the dashboard.

this has to describe at least 85% of cars in jersey city.

Posted on: 2009/9/17 22:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/1/22 21:37
From Carolina's Lavanderia
Group:
Registered Users
Yup! Columbus is the worst. They speed up when they see the light changing.

Posted on: 2009/9/17 22:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/4/10 4:08
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

DirtMcGirt wrote:
In my purely anecdotal experiences, I've never seen more people run red lights than Jersey City. What say you?

Absolutely... radio blaring, phone held up to their left ear, and a Gold PBA shield affixed to the dashboard.

Posted on: 2009/9/17 22:13

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/5 21:22
Group:
Registered Users
idling at red lights isn't the green thing to do.

Posted on: 2009/9/17 22:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/6/12 3:42
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

DirtMcGirt wrote:
In my purely anecdotal experiences, I've never seen more people run red lights than Jersey City. What say you?

It's far worse in Guayaquil.

Posted on: 2009/9/17 22:06

Red light runners
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned

Posted on: 2009/9/17 21:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Most people don't realize it is illegal. Failure to yield.

Posted on: 2009/3/12 3:15

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/1/12 0:51
From Lincoln Park
Group:
Registered Users
the suicide squeeze left turn is not just a new jersey thing- they do it in san francisco as well. however, it certainly has been taken to the next level here.

i say we name the maneuver. "jersey left" isn't bad, though if we could come up with something slightly more provincial, that would be best. i've heard a bumper whack while parallel parking called a "hoboken kiss." i like that.

"jersey city left" is too long, and "jc left" lacks punch. perhaps "jersey left" will have to do. anyone with any thoughts?

Posted on: 2009/3/12 2:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/25 20:40
From somewhere else
Group:
Registered Users
Exactly right, Manfred. I'd never seen it before either - I call it a "Jersey Left." I actually had an unmarked cop car do it in front of me in Newark, only I wasn't that slow off the line and almost hit him as I attempted to go through the intersection. He pulled me over and went ballistic and told me he had the right of way. Fortunately, his partner explained right-of-way to him while they were back in the car running my license. He came back and handed me my license and stuff and wished me a nice day, pleasant as could be.

And kudos to you, the second and third cars that turn left in front of the person going straight when the light turns green at the same time in both directions. Unbelievable.

Posted on: 2009/3/11 23:54

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/3/11 21:39
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:
Better public policy is extending the amber light and inserting a delay between the red light so that all lights at the intersection are red before the next green.

The result of an extended yellow light and a delayed green is a little maneuver I like to call the "Jersey Juke"--where a car turning left cuts in front of those going straight right before the light turns green. I'd never seen this ridiculously stupid move until moving to New Jersey. Now I see it almost every time I drive anywhere. If the red-light cameras fine any cars entering the intersection while the light is still red, they would catch a fair number of these bozos.

Posted on: 2009/3/11 21:49

(1) 2 3 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017