Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
109 user(s) are online (75 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 109

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 3 (4)

Re: IDT Energy - Journal Square
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/4 17:25
Group:
Registered Users
Dude, it is a scam. This company and all others like it are not out to help you or save you money. They're here to trick you into a too good to be true contract. Call the police when any "agents" come knocking. These people are evil and predatory and should not be here.

http://www.brownstoner.com/brownstone ... 08/10/update_on_idt_e.php

http://consumerist.com/tag/idt-energy/

Legitimate businesses do not go door-to-door.

Posted on: 2010/4/15 4:57

Re: IDT Energy - Journal Square
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/10/27 13:13
From The fog.
Group:
Registered Users
I don't think it is a scam. Deregulation has allowed consumers to save a few bucks on electric and gas supply. We are looking into doing this.

From IDT's website.

The Basics

Over the last decade, Public Service Commissions and State Legislatures, along with local utilities, have deregulated the energy markets in certain states to foster and encourage competition among suppliers, while promoting consumer choice. Legislatures and the public utility commissions of many states have opened retail competition for electric and natural gas supply.
Energy?s Two Parts

Energy service has two parts: supply and delivery

Deregulation measures allow consumers to choose their supplier of electric and natural gas (generation), while the delivery of the energy (transmission and distribution) will still be the responsibility of the incumbent (regulated) utility company. Today, you have the power to choose to lower your energy bill by shopping for the best rates on supply or your most preferred supplier.

IDT Energy is a qualified supplier, and works in partnership with local utility companies to facilitate the delivery of electricity and natural gas utilizing the local utility?s infrastructure. Historically, the price of electricity and natural gas was state-regulated, and your local utility company provided both supply and delivery.
How You Can Benefit

Deregulation of the energy supply markets is in many ways very similar to the deregulation which occurred many years ago in the long-distance telephone service market.

The deregulation of the electricity and natural gas markets allows selected companies to compete for your energy business. This action has resulted in bringing good news for consumers, who are interested in saving on their energy prices, and want the power to choose their supplier! As suppliers began competing for market share, rates improved and consumer choices emerged. Now, more than ever, people living in deregulated energy markets have control over the source of their natural gas and electricity.

Your local utility still delivers your energy and supports any emergency service, and provides one unified bill for your energy services. There is no special equipment or installation required to switch your electric and natural gas supplier!

Posted on: 2010/4/14 20:34

IDT Energy - Journal Square

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/4/14 20:10
Group:
Registered Users
I live in Journal Square Area. Yesterday an authorized agent from IDT energy knocked on our door and told us that they can reduce our PSEG utility cost. My PSEG cost during winter is 300 dollars per month(Average). The agent said that she the PSEG uses GAS & Electric supplier - BGSS Commodity a chicago company. Thats why it's costing us more. She said IDT will give us better rates blah blah blah.

We signed up for IDT service with 7% discount in each monthly bill from PSEG.

Today two different agents knocked our door and said they are from IDT energy. They can give us better rates.

Is it a Scam? Can anyone shed light on this. We are really confused.

Posted on: 2010/4/14 20:16

Re: pseg "partners" asking to see my bill?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/2/24 18:16
From "Pay for Play"
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

GrovePath wrote:
Maybe they should just hire Jehovah Witnesses - then they could do double duty.

Quote:

trambone wrote:

Oh its legit but the scam is on the guys and not on you...Its considered a pyramid scam on the employees because they are largely undercompensated for their work..

At least the Jehovah Witnesses ring the door bell, obnoxious though that may be on an early Sat morn when trying to sleep in! This poor kid sneaked into the building by conning one of my fellow apt/condo bldg. dwellers who like me probably saw a scared, but nice young person and so let him in to knock on my and everyone else's door. Now that I know they only get a commission it's even worse for them.

Posted on: 2010/1/20 4:43
Resized Image
Help US Sue Spectra! Join OR Donate!

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Maybe they should just hire Jehovah Witnesses - then they could do double duty.

Quote:

trambone wrote:

Oh its legit but the scam is on the guys and not on you...Its considered a pyramid scam on the employees because they are largely undercompensated for their work..

Posted on: 2010/1/20 4:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/7/1 9:09
From Southern JC
Group:
Registered Users
I was about to ask the same question. They must have sent out an army of them. It sounds like it didn't cost them much to do so. Does anyone know if you actually save money by signing up? I doubt many people signed up without knowing what MXenergy is. Those poor guys can't have made much money.

-edit-

For those who care, here's what their website says:

https://www.mxenergy.com/about-us/questions-new-jersey.php#q5

Q: What does MXenergy do?
A: MXenergy supplies natural gas and electricity to residential and commercial customers in deregulated energy markets.

Q: How is MXenergy different from my utility company?
A: Most utilities offer variable rate plans. Our fixed rate plan is unique, allowing you to lock in a rate for up to three years.

Q: What sets MXenergy apart from other energy suppliers?
A: Very few of our competitors have the financial strength to purchase energy supplies in advance. We do. This allows us to offer innovative rate plans.

Q: How long has MXenergy been offering these innovative plans?
A: Since 1999, we've served millions of customers in 14 states. And our customer service is the best in the industry.

Q: Is MXenergy's fixed rate lower than my utility's variable rate?
A: Initially our fixed rate may be higher than your local utility's variable rate. However, over time variable rates may rise or fall and a fixed rate won't?just like a fixed rate mortgage. So you're investing in long-term protection against higher rates.

Q: Are there any monthly fees?
A: It depends on the plan you select. All fees are explained in the customer agreement. If you still have questions, contact one of our MXenergy Experts at 800.785.4373.

Q: How will my utility company know I've enrolled with MXenergy?
A: Your utility company recognizes us as an authorized supplier of natural gas and/or electricity. When your MXenergy enrollment is approved, we notify your utility company of the change.

Q: How am I billed?
A: Your utility company will continue to bill you as they always have. MXenergy gas and/or electricity supply charges will appear along with your utility service and delivery charges. You still make only one payment to your utility company.

Q: What if I have a problem with my service?
A: Your utility company will continue to take care of those problems if they occur. Just give them a call like you always would.

Q: If I switch, can I decide to return to my utility later?
A: Yes. If for any reason you decide that you prefer having your energy supplied by the utility, you can switch back subject to the terms of your MXenergy contract.

Q: How do I enroll?
A: It's simple. Call us toll-free at 800.785.4373 and we'll help you select the plan that is best for you. Or enroll right here online. Just click the red "Enroll Now" button to the left. It only takes a few minutes?just have your current utility bill ready.

Posted on: 2010/1/20 4:29

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/8/4 15:00
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks for the info. I also called the company to complain about sending out these guys without a card, a brochure or even a uniform. As you say they are indeed clueless and now I feel bad for these guys and I hope they find better work 'cause they can't of had much success doing this.

Posted on: 2010/1/20 2:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/30 16:48
Group:
Registered Users
Oh its legit but the scam is on the guys and not on you.

What they're selling supposedly is a fixed rate on your gas or electric. Instead of it charging you a different rate everything month for it it'd be set. They pay the guys on commission with no base pay. There are tons of craigslist ads for these jobs.

Its considered a pyramid scam on the employees because they are largely undercompensated for their work.

Posted on: 2010/1/19 5:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/2/24 18:16
From "Pay for Play"
Group:
Registered Users
Yes, today at about 3:10PM a nice looking young man knocked on my door and said he was from MxEnergy, there was an id from same around his neck and he was carrying a clipboard with booklet with same info.

Since I have been active in the Downtown Jersey City Watch, and not only have we had an apt broken in where I live but there have been day time break-ins throughout downtown, I wanted to err to the side of caution.

I asked him if he had any brochures he could leave he said no so I told him I would check it out on the internet. I immediately called the police at the non-emergency # (201-547-5477), asked for the ID of the Dispatcher (always important) then gave my description of the young man and added that it was "suspicious" as he arrived at my door knocking without my or anyone else letting him in (he said a white guy opened the door for him downstairs, of which one is away filming and the other works at a hospital as a nurse).

After checking out MxEnergy finding they are legit and then further found out that yes, they did have reps in the field, I then called the police back and told them not to dispatch the officers. However, they had already sent them and my sister saw them in front of our building questioning young black men who were clearly taller than the description I gave the dispatcher (5'6", mohawk hair cut like mr. t), so how a nearly 7' thin black youngster matches that description is beyond me.

In any event, having done "cold calling" both by phone and drop-and-knock appointments in my much younger days I can tell you it's difficult sales work since most only earn commission or small minimum hrly + commission. Hardly an effective sales tool but then the company is based in Tx and hardly knows how urban sales are difficult to do do in multi-condo/apt buildings.

I feel bad for this young man as he was pleasant and seemed scared and left call with the Field Supervisor to call me back to give the supervisor heck for not giving them brochures as leave-behinds.

Quote:

jerseymom wrote:
This sounds like a scam to me. Many of these "teams" of two or three individuals are very slick and talk an exceptional game.

Scammers will pose as officials from the water department, a utility crew, or an inspection department. Common scams include them telling a victim they have an urgent need for checking a basement for a leak from a purported water main break; checking a pipe somewhere in your house because there's a leak from an upstairs neighbor; checking a utility function, etc. One person will draw you into a room in your house under the guise of "checking" or "helping out" while they inspect, while the rest of your house gets robbed by the other team member.

It usually happens to the elderly, but anyone that can be distracted is vulnerable. They also scope out houses to see who is home and when (not to scare you, but they operate as such).

Next time you see them, try to remember a description and call your local precinct. You may want to tip them off anyhow about your experience.

Glad you're okay.

Posted on: 2010/1/19 4:56
Resized Image
Help US Sue Spectra! Join OR Donate!

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/1/29 1:10
Group:
Registered Users
This sounds like a scam to me. Many of these "teams" of two or three individuals are very slick and talk an exceptional game.

Scammers will pose as officials from the water department, a utility crew, or an inspection department. Common scams include them telling a victim they have an urgent need for checking a basement for a leak from a purported water main break; checking a pipe somewhere in your house because there's a leak from an upstairs neighbor; checking a utility function, etc. One person will draw you into a room in your house under the guise of "checking" or "helping out" while they inspect, while the rest of your house gets robbed by the other team member.

It usually happens to the elderly, but anyone that can be distracted is vulnerable. They also scope out houses to see who is home and when (not to scare you, but they operate as such).

Next time you see them, try to remember a description and call your local precinct. You may want to tip them off anyhow about your experience.

Glad you're okay.

Posted on: 2010/1/19 4:30

pseg "partners" asking to see my bill?

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/8/4 15:00
Group:
Registered Users
Earlier today (around 4pm) two guys (in their twenties) knocked on my door and asked me to show them a pseg bill as they have been asked to go door to door to ask residents for a bill as they are paying too much and want to help lower bills? They had some random id around their neck that they could have easily made themselves with some acronym - "tmax" or something like that. I said I didn't have a bill and I asked them for a number or a business card and they didn't have either as they were told to go door to door. I live on 5th st - did anyone else have this experience / is this a familiar scam here in JC? I can't imagine it is a legit request.
I would have been able to get better info but I left my kid inside and was crying for me so I was trying to get back in the house as quick as possible, I wish I had taken a photo of them or asked to call pseg right then.

Posted on: 2010/1/19 3:04

Re: PSE&G Supply Energy Question
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/5/18 15:44
Group:
Registered Users
commodity costs have been going up for years, but now they're going down and utilities are required to lower rates accordingly. See below for natural gas, and hopefully electric will be coming down soon as well.

New Jersey Board of Public Utilities
PRESS RELEASE
NJBPU APPROVES MORE THAN $500 MILLION IN RATEPAYER RELIEF FOR CUSTOMERS OF NATURAL GAS UTILITIES
(NEWARK, NJ) ? The New Jersey Board of Public Utilities (BPU) today approved proposals from the state?s four natural gas utilities, which will result in annual savings of over $500 million for the state?s natural gas customers. The new rates reflect declining market costs for natural gas and will become effective immediately. The reduced rates apply to residential and small business natural gas customers of Public Service Electric and Gas, New Jersey Natural Gas, South Jersey Gas and Elizabethtown Gas. ?These are significant rate reductions that will provide immediate relief for customers struggling with the effects of the worldwide economic downturn,? said Board President Jeanne M. Fox. ?The present rate reductions complement Governor Corzine?s effort to grow New Jersey?s economy and provide support to families bearing the brunt of its decline.?
The amount of the rate reduction approved by the Board varies among the state?s natural gas utility companies. In some cases, the Board has already approved interim rate reductions over the course of the past year to reflect declining natural gas prices. With today?s reductions, New Jersey?s natural gas customers are benefiting from an overall reduction in natural gas prices ranging from 23.5% to 37.3% compared to a year ago.

Public Service Electric and Gas Company
The Board approved PSE&G?s proposal to reduce its rate from $0.990753 per therm to $0.88795 per therm (10.4%). The Company?s existing rate reflected interim reductions taken in January and March of this year. Those interim reductions reduced the bill for an average residential heating customer (using 1000 therms annually) by $106.41 annually. The new rate would result in an additional reduction of $155.91 per average residential customer. The rate reduction approved by the Board today will result in a reduction of $142.2 million in PSE&G?s annual revenue.

Posted on: 2009/9/23 14:54

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/21 22:10
From West Side
Group:
Registered Users
JCSHEP is right. Choosing renewable energy sources for your PSE&G power is a great way to help drive towards renewable energy.

Xerxes points out the reality, too, that PSE&G keeps raising our power costs. We've seen double digit increases every year for the past several years, and if cap & trade goes into effect, you'll likely see another 50% increase in about a year as the utility companies have to pay for their carbon output.

The only way to avoid this is to invest in another power source. If you go solar, NJ rebates & the Federal tax credit drop the price by about 50%. You will also earn SRECs or "green tags" which you sell back to the power companies.

If you're interested in more info, check out the database for state incentives for renewables at http://www.dsireusa.org/incentives/in ... spv=0&st=0&srp=1&state=NJ.

I also go through all these programs in detail at my upcoming free solar seminar. Everyone is welcome to attend. More info here: http://bit.ly/17RtrV

Posted on: 2009/9/21 1:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/10/21 3:42
From Hilltop
Group:
Registered Users
I signed up with NJ and PSE&G to try to ensure my money and power consumption goes to further local ?clean renewable energy?.

I receive a premium on my energy bill every month from PSE&G. The line item for me is ?COMMUNITY ENERGY, INC. Clean Power Charges?

My understanding is that the same amount of energy I consume will be generated via local "clean energy" and put into the power grid for the mid-atlantic region which we are all sort of on. This is because there are no direct providers. I think (or hope) that PSEG has to pass my payments, minus distribution charges, to this clean energy provider. When I set it up it was very flexible you could choose what percent you wanted to fund small hydro, wind, etc? You could even decide if you wanted to buy a certain number of kilowatts or match your consumption.

Here is where i signed up: http://www.njcleanenergy.com/renewabl ... cleanpower-choice-program

My understanding is our energy comes from a coal fired plant on the western border of JC and that it is a large emitter of air pollution.

Posted on: 2009/9/16 20:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/25 20:40
From somewhere else
Group:
Registered Users
Unfortunately, you're still stuck with the PSE&G delivery portion of your bill if you switch. I was shocked when I opened my last bill to see how much it had gone up.

Posted on: 2009/9/16 18:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/4/30 16:20
Group:
Banned
For anyone keeping track, over the last 2 years PSE&G has raised its rates for delivery + service by approximately 50%, from $.12 to $.18 per Kwhr.

I have often wondered whether that blah-blah on every bill about alternate providers was just boilerplate to LOOK like there was some competition. I guess that's exactly what it it IS.

Posted on: 2009/9/16 13:07

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/5/18 15:44
Group:
Registered Users
unfortunately competition on the residential side has not taken off sufficiently for various reasons, while commercial competition is booming. Most of the recent increases in your rates are a result of renewable energy and energy efficiency initiatives to try to stem global warming. So take advantage of solar if you can. PSE&G has a solar loan program to help you pay for a solar system. Most of us can't afford to put up solar, so try to make your home as energy efficient as possible, which can shave 30-40% off your bill. PSE&G has a home audit program that will find weak spots in your home and pathc them up if you wish. Its very inexpensive.

Posted on: 2009/9/16 2:11

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/21 22:10
From West Side
Group:
Registered Users
If you go solar, not only will you be making money by getting free electricity, you'll also be earning Solar Renewable Energy Certificates from the state which will more than cover the cost of financing the solar system.

Here is an announcement for a free solar seminar I'm giving at the Home Depot on Route 440 in Jersey City on Wednesday, September 23 @ 7PM. http://newjersey.craigslist.org/hss/1369200774.html

Come on out!

Posted on: 2009/9/15 21:25

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/25 2:12
Group:
Banned
Have you looked into a combination solar / diesel generator system? If you have a powerful enough setup and you conserve electricity (like everyone should) you can actually unload your extra amperage onto the grid, enough to make your meter run backwards. You'll actually be *making* money.

Posted on: 2009/9/3 23:23

PSE&G Supply Energy Question
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/10/25 2:28
Group:
Registered Users
Is anyone using an alternative energy provider to provide supply energy to their home? I've been trying to figure out if anyone actually sells into the residential market in Jersey City.

I know there are a number of companies on a list (http://www.pseg.com/customer/energy/pdf/electric_marketers.pdf ) that you can obtain via PSE&G but every company I contacted did not offer residential supply engergy in this part of the country.

I'm asking because once again the NJ BPU (http://www.state.nj.us/bpu/about/index.html ) approved a price increase for PSE&G and I'm starting to question what type of protection is provided for the residential energy consumer in NJ.

Posted on: 2009/9/3 23:14

« 1 2 3 (4)

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017