Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
82 user(s) are online (60 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 82

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Poor service from USPS package carrier in Van Vorst Park
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/8/14 6:40
Group:
Registered Users
Same thing happened to me just recently.

I really needed a textbook for my class and it was SUPPOSED to arrive that day.

I called 2 or 3 times to check if they have the book because it was not delivered yet and the tracking said it left the JC office for delivery at 9am.

I check online later, "notice left". I was home all day, no notices left, no doorbell, nothing.

Next day i pick it up from the post office and the lady with an attitude said "didn't u call a few times yesterday", i said "yea, i really needed this package and you didn't deliver it"

Posted on: 2009/9/24 4:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Well, this topic has been discussed ad nauseum, but it is simply mind boggling that the US Postal Service is SO deficient in JC. The USPS is arguably the best postal service in the WHOLE world. We pay next to nothing to send letters and ship packages, and the turnaround times are simply outstanding. Yet, sending mail (as well as its delivery) in JC is simply a crapshoot.

We have friends who lose packages on a regular basis. We have had mail delivered very late on occasion. We NEVER get package slips delivered until we get one stating LAST ATTEMPT with a return to sender date that is usually the next day. We have complained on many occasions and nothing has improved. Our building has a small mail dropbox that may, or may not, get picked up by whoever is delivering the mail that day. AND, to top it all off, the mail carrier shows up anywhere between 4:00 and 5:30 PM. We get never get timely delivery of mail.

Yeah, even the USPS sucks here in JC...

Posted on: 2009/9/23 13:08

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/9/30 21:17
Group:
Registered Users
After living here for a number of years, I've decided to think of it as a pleasant surprise when a package is actually delivered, which happens with maybe 1 out of 10 packages, or a slip is left, maybe 2 out of 5. I get confirmation numbers for everything and pick them up at the post office. I got a slip today, actually, despite having been home all day, and will be going to pick up a package tomorrow. Not such a big deal really, the post office is a cool building, not far away, and they don't make you wait in the main line to pick up packages.

Posted on: 2009/9/23 6:23

Re: How to complain to JC Postmaster about Poor USPS Service
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/2/24 2:10
Group:
Registered Users
Also, in case it's not obvious-- I would strongly recommend sending an email devoid of inflammatory terms to Jeff Gannon (i.e., "lazy", "incompetent")-- keep it factual, professional, and to the point or it will be likely disregarded. A nice letter or phone call is far more likely to render a result than an angry one.

Posted on: 2009/9/22 20:04

How to complain to JC Postmaster about Poor USPS Service
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/2/24 2:10
Group:
Registered Users
I saw the thread about the poor postal service in JC and the failed attempts to resolve complaints. I am especially concerned as I am about to move to the downtown area and rely on the USPS for my home office to function properly. So I contacted my friend who works at the USPS headquarters in DC and she told me that all complaints should be sent directly to the Jeff Gannon, the Postmaster of the Montgomery Street location.

Here is the contact info:

JEFF.B.GANNON@USPS.GOV
(201) 915-7001

Please post your experience in resolving issues moving forward only on this thread (no rehashing of past problems), your contact with Jeff Gannon, and whether the issue was resolved to your satisfaction. If you go through this channel and the issue remains unresolved, I will have my friend look into the next step and post it here, but as always with government, you need to follow protocol first.

Posted on: 2009/9/22 19:57

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/5/12 21:06
Group:
Registered Users
I had the same problem when living there, our mail carrier just used to throw a pile of mail onto the floor instead of sorting it, not leaving notices, etc. But the head of the downtown JC post office is quite good about responding to complaints, when you get through to him and my missing package ended up at my 4th floor door the next day and we really didn't have any complaints after that. But new postal carriers may need to be 'retrained' But definitely say something, be polite and go to the next level if it isn't solved locally.

Posted on: 2009/9/22 18:24

Re: post office complaints?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/11/18 14:49
From heights
Group:
Registered Users
thanks so much!

Posted on: 2009/9/22 13:53

Re: post office complaints?
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/5/21 2:29
Group:
Registered Users
First, file a complaint on usps.com

and then - here is the number for one of the managers : Raju Tailor 201-915-7041

I lived on New York (btw south & bowers) awhile ago so we had the same mail carrier - he's a great guy but when the weekend or temp people take over his route everything goes to hell. They suck. Ask him about the stolen stuff, he's actually nice and might be able to help. Or he will atleast give you the number/contact info on how to resolve this shit for you. If its happening repeatedly it needs to be dealt with.

Posted on: 2009/9/21 22:24

post office complaints?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/11/18 14:49
From heights
Group:
Registered Users
i'm sure there's a number somewhere, but my quick search on here netted me w/ nothing.

We've had things go missing in the mail before, but just recently we were expecting a $100 gift card to home depot from florida. When we never received it we looked into it. Apparently it was used in woodbridge NJ. This means some f*ing UGH from the post office stole it.

I'm sick of this crap and i want a name of someone in charge that i can register this complaint to. again, this isn't the first thing to go missing, but i'm just sick of this crap and i remember reading on here that there is actually someone at the post office that is receptive to complaints. any help would be appreciated....

if i was columbo i'd find out what mail sorter or delivery person lives near woodbridge and i'd start breaking kneecaps.

Posted on: 2009/9/21 22:10

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/11/2 23:04
Group:
Banned
To go another way with this - before I moved to JC, I lived in a non-doorman building. There was a UPS store in the neighborhood. I went over there in desperation. Turns out they accept packages and hold them for you to pick up - they even call you and let you know it's there. You don't have to have a PO box at UPS either.

They charge a couple of bucks per package for this service. You do need to go in and introduce yourself so they know who you are and what phone number to call. Then I would just use their address as my street address, and any package would get delivered to the UPS store. It saved my sanity.

I went to Epcot one year and purchased a terra cotta fish thing in the Mexico building (I know). It was maybe 12 inches long, and the same height. It got returned to Disney because I didn't know whoever was trying to deliver it. Then I called Disney and the put the whole thing in a bigger box and sent it to me. The shipper (I don't remember who) left me one note and returned it. Then they shipped it out again - by the time I actually collected the package, it was the size of a washing machine.

Posted on: 2008/4/23 20:09

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/9/2 6:41
Group:
Banned
I'm waiting on something i bought off ebay. USPS tracking shows it took 6 days to get from California to Jersey then -
Quote:
Your item was processed and left our JERSEY CITY, NJ 07097 facility on April 13, 2008.

Ten days later it still hasn't arrived.

Posted on: 2008/4/23 18:46

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/2/13 22:55
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks for all the advice. I ended up calling the USPS customer service 800 number (no joke) and I got results in about 90 minutes. I registered a complaint with the customer service rep at about 5 pm that day and never expected to hear anything back. Wasn't I surprised an hour and a half later when my phone rang and the voice on the other end was that of the duty supervisor at the JC post office. He told me that this happens quite a bit and while it was most likely an "accident," he admitted they've had some problems with carriers not getting out of their vans in the past year or so. I seriously doubt that the carrier really got a letter in his file (as the supervisor told me he would), but I certainly got the package the next day. I guess they tally complaint statistics up on each post office based on calls to the 800 number (1-800-ASK-USPS) -- and then the postmaster gets held accountable. I'd definitely recommend registering a formal complaint if you have problems in the future. The supervisor was helpful and courteous -- but only after I filed a formal complaint. Ah, the joys of dealing with a well-entrenched government bureaucracy.

Posted on: 2008/2/13 23:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/1/22 9:03
From The Heights
Group:
Registered Users
I stopped almost all mail deliveries to my place about 5 years ago. I would get on average 9 out of the 12 issues of a magazine I ordered. Packages were either not delivered or stolen by criminals. Not a week goes by where i am not sorting other people's mail from my mailbox. The post office is almost never helpful. Two recent incidents:

1. with UPS(not USPS) they refused to deliver to my building because they said it looked abandoned. I told them it wasn't and they decided to send it back to shipper.

2. Just last month a package was sent (USPS) to my home address instead of my work address. Sure enough, despite not getting packages here in 5 years, the post office is claiming it was delivered and signed for...I never got the package.

I was not surprised by the article a couple of weeks ago where the mail carriers were getting stoned on duty.

Posted on: 2008/2/13 0:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/11/5 23:00
Group:
Registered Users
I've had similar problems, which has led me to have a complete lack of faith in the postal service in JC.

There has been several times where I've had to contact the PO, and the last time, i forget who i spoke with, but they were very apologetic, and told me that the Postal Service in JC is just overwhelmed with volume, and can't keep up...

I've met my mail-carrier a few times, and he was nice and appeared to be pretty competent. I think the problem here is bigger than the individual carriers. It seems that the whole operation is understaffed.

Posted on: 2008/2/13 0:07

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/8/21 19:11
From Downtown JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

go FedEx.

You mean the same FedEx that "delivered" a package to me on Friday, saying, "Left in front of buzzer". My buzzer is outdoors.

I never got it, they're basically saying, "I don't know, no signature was required". Meanwhile every other time I've used UPS or FedEx or even USPS they've refused to drop it in front of the apartment building(wisely).

So now I have to contact the Nike store which shipped my package, and I'll probably get a refund in 2 weeks.

But my sneakers that I need for the gym? That'll be awhile.

I've also in the past had FedEx buzz my apartment, where I say, "C'mon in!" and then they leave it outside anyway saying that they contacted me. Awful.

Posted on: 2008/2/12 23:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/30 19:51
Group:
Registered Users
FYI, the Postmaster of Jersey City is Jeff B Gannon. I'm guessing you can reach him at the same number. I hope this information helps.

Posted on: 2008/2/9 16:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/30 19:51
Group:
Registered Users
I had my problems with the post office when I first moved here, similar to yours as well as bills and other dated mail coming to me late (luckily I pay most of my bills online now). I called the Jersey City post office - phone number is 201-915-7041 - and spoke to a woman who I think was the Postmaster or maybe she was a mid-level manager and she was very pleasant and helpful and said she'd speak with the carrier for my route. She even called me back at work and said that while the carrier on my route had experienced problems with people not emptying their mailboxes, leaving no room for new mail, the carrier would be that much more careful. I haven't had any problems since then, as far as home delivery goes.

Whoever this Mr. Jackson is, I have no idea. I hope he hasn't replaced the nice woman I spoke with on the phone a couple of years ago. He sounds like a real tool.

Posted on: 2008/2/9 16:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/18 19:17
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
oh man am I grateful for those grievance addresses. thank you!

I've had so many problems with package delivery, despite the huge note on my door asking that packages be left at a nearby store.

I recently went to the Montgomery P.O. with a "sorry we missed you, final notice" I had received that morning. my mail carrier missed me because she never rang the doorbell. the notice was dated on the 20th, with the item to be returned on 31st. of course, I got the note on the 31st.

this happens repeatedly, with really important pieces of mail.

at the post office, the clerk was extremely apologetic, and called over her supervisor, Mr. Jackson, who proceeded to berate her in front of me for giving the mail carrier a notice ten days too late.

then Mr. Jackson turns on me and starts ranting about how hard his carriers work and why did I come in here accusing them? I calmly stated that I hadn't accused anyone, just asked why I was repeatedly getting such poor mail service.

Mr. Jackson launches into a flag-waving monologue about how the USA has the best mail service in the world.

sure. agreed. now may I please have my mail?

Mr. Jackson continues to rant and rave about his carriers, and accuses me of coming in "with a big song and dance."

seriously, I'd said maybe ten words during this entire performance.

I pointed out once again that I'd made no accusations, but was simply frustrated at not being able to count on regular mail delivery.

it was then that Mr. Jackson said, "well I can't help you with your mental problems," and walked away.

I left with a clear indication of why our mail service is so substandard. the reason is Mr. Jackson, and the federal system that keeps all the Mr. Jacksons of the land employed, at our expense.

go FedEx.

Posted on: 2008/2/7 3:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Oh the extra S. I thought this was ragging on UPS which I hate, not USPS, of which I'm indifferent.

If its brown, flush it down!

Posted on: 2008/2/7 2:11

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/4/29 10:29
Group:
Banned
if you have issues with theft or loss due to USPS negligence do not hesitate to contact

Alan Thompson
Special Agent
USPS-OIG
Post Office Box 454
Jersey City, NJ 07303-0454
Work 201-499-5127

he has helped me in the past and will not hesitate to investigate. he is the FBI of the USPS. go straight to the source!

Posted on: 2008/2/7 1:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/24 3:29
Group:
Banned
Because the mailmen are high. Duh.

I love my local UPS guys though. Go Brown!

Posted on: 2008/2/7 1:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/5 14:18
From Exchange Place
Group:
Registered Users
It happens in doorman building, too. The tracking system says that they attempted delivery and nobody was home, but the doorman said that no USPS truck came.

Did you know that your congressman takes care of 'mail delivery & service' problems? Yes, your congressman helps with any problem with a federal agency.

Representative Albio Sires
35 Journal Square, Suite 906
Jersey City, NJ 07306
201-222-2828

http://www.house.gov/sires/

Posted on: 2008/2/7 1:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Its not just the Van Vorst UPS man. Third St Mofo didn't even ring the doorbell yesterday.

Posted on: 2008/2/7 1:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/10/15 11:49
Group:
Registered Users
I've had similar problems recently with items winding up returned without getting a proper notice. The other day the guy rang the doorbell and my wife ran down immediately. He was already going back to his truck and didn't turn around when she repeatedly shouted to him.

Posted on: 2008/2/7 0:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/9/14 20:15
From Crystal Point
Group:
Registered Users
USPS in JC is completely unreliable. There are many good, friendly postal workers but also many bad apples. It is hit or miss when there is a delivery... 33% of the time, someone actually rings the door and brings me my package. 66% of the time, they leave a notice saying i have to pick it up at the PO. One time they never left a notice and by the time I found out they said it was returned to the sender. 2 weeks later, they gave me a notice for the package that was supposedly returned but had the whole time! I have also had a package or two lost.

it sucks having to tell friends/family not to send packages with usps.

Posted on: 2008/2/7 0:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/5/13 20:32
Group:
Registered Users
Do a search on this site and you will find a long list of problems with the JC post office.

Posted on: 2008/2/7 0:11

Poor service from USPS package carrier in Van Vorst Park

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/2/13 22:55
Group:
Registered Users
First time posting on JCList. For the third time in as many months, the Postal Service has failed to deliver an item I've ordered to my apartment in VVP. In all three cases -- including this latest time, which occurred this week -- the package has gone out for delivery and, according to my online tracking information, the carrier has supposedly left me a notice. Problem is, no notice was left in any of the cases. In fact, two of these times, I've even been home and in the apartment at the time when, according to my online tracking information, the carrier supposedly attempted to deliver the package. I am certain, especially this week, that the carrier did not even come to my door. I arrived home early from work this week just so I could wait for it -- and at the two times the carrier has supposedly tried to deliver it, there has been no postal activity anywhere on the street. When I went to the Montgomery St. PO to claim my package, I was treated rudely but the customer service people and told there was "no way" a notice couldn't have been left... Since, apparently, none of the JC mail carriers could be the slightest bit lazy or incompetent. I was able to get my package after some haggling the last two times, but they did not have it there for me today. I suspect that the carrier is gun-decking (sorry, military speak here) his delivery route and scanning the item without even trying to deliver it. I finally called the USPS customer service line and filed a report. I am told I can expect to hear back from someone here in JC in a few days. Has anyone else had these sorts of issues with residential delivery? I, like I'm sure most of the users here, work during the week and can't spend my days making up for the incompetence of our federal service providers. Would be interested if anyone else is having this problem.

Posted on: 2008/2/6 23:57

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017