Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
147 user(s) are online (128 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 147

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 4 5 6 (7) 8 9 10 »

Re: Newark Avenue StreetScape
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/4/8 0:29
Group:
Registered Users
JCDT,

Thank you for bringing this up. I also heard jack hammers at around 3am and didn't know what number to call. I've also heard jack hammers around 11pm, which isn't as egregious, but probably is not allowed either.

If someone can point us in the right direction, I'd be happy to make a call regarding the same issue.

Posted on: 2009/9/14 21:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/2/3 3:59
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Welcome to JC, JCDT. Since you're a newbie, we'll forgive your ignorance, but if someone is digging a hole in New Jersey at 3:00 in the morning, it's best not to ask too many questions.

Posted on: 2009/9/14 20:08
I live by the river.

Newark Ave Construction

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/9/14 18:28
Group:
Registered Users
Would anybody know what the laws are concerning construction hours?
Last week they were using jackhammers between 2:30AM-3:30AM!!
When living in NY, I could call 311 -- Now that I'm living in Jersey, I don't know who I'm supposed to contact.
Thanks!

Posted on: 2009/9/14 18:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/7/15 3:35
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
Has anybody noticed all the X's on the sidewalks lately?

A LOT. Upon closer examination, the squares with boxes have a lot of hairline cracking going on.

So I am guessing they will then jack hammer those boxes and then pour new cement.

But I am curious as to why this happened? Is the cement that is being used bad? Was the under foundation or whatever its called not done right?

Will the walkways survive ok after the first winter when the expanding and contracting really occurs?

What do you think of the new plaza on Jersey Ave and Newark? The placement of the areas for the trees seems off balance - like a fourth cutout is missing.

Thanks

FG

Posted on: 2009/8/28 22:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/10/20 16:18
Group:
Registered Users
that stuff is actually just "enough" bumpy to KEEP a wheelchair from rolling into the street too fast....

Posted on: 2009/8/25 13:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/22 6:01
Group:
Registered Users
please excuse my ignorance, but how does a stretch of bumpy red plastic assist a person with disabilities? it makes for a rough ride in a wheelchair, and could probably trip a blind person.

Posted on: 2009/8/25 13:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/7/15 3:35
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
I was just curious. There is a section of sidewalk on Newark and Erie Street right outside the building formerly known as the Rocket. It's where the Milano Furniture and Wireless Store is.

Why was this section of sidewalk not removed and replaced with the new cement sidewalk? It sticks out like a sore thumb when compared with the rest of the new cement sidewalks, especially as its such a prominent corner.

Also, on the corner, there are not ramps with the red traction devices. I believe that those are required due to the Americans with Disabilities Act. (which is why all the street corners got replaced - to answer someone else's question). So I am curious why this building was singled out to be able to be left "as is". They need to be forced to comply for the benefit of the community.

Also, are there any plans for those stores that had their basement "vaults" saved to have them cleaned up cosmetically? Maybe paint them bluish gray?

Noticed they started work on the corner of Jersey Ave and Newark in the plaza area. Looking forward to see what this will look like when done.

Thanks

FG

Posted on: 2009/8/25 12:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/1/7 4:11
Group:
Registered Users
I never said it was not progress...just pointed out other issues of importance that would also improve that area, in a marginally entertaining (albeit also incredibly sarcastic) way. Improving these issues would maximize the overall street scape improvement. I actually see tremendous potential for that stretch of road.

Posted on: 2009/8/23 23:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/2/9 14:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JackieCruise wrote:
I think its really sweet that we are installing new sidewalks and such for the homeless drunks to sleep on....it will also be much easier to walk by the empty store fronts now on the way to the path train.

Still progress none the less! Your negativity is quite entertaining though, any more pissy observations you would like to share? Keep it pithy not personal!

Posted on: 2009/8/23 22:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/1/7 4:11
Group:
Registered Users
I think its really sweet that we are installing new sidewalks and such for the homeless drunks to sleep on....it will also be much easier to walk by the empty store fronts now on the way to the path train.

Posted on: 2009/8/23 20:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/4/30 16:20
Group:
Banned
Quote:
I would have thought that Jeff would have been tarred and feathered by now.

A little informed honesty goes a long way on a good bulletin board.

Posted on: 2009/8/23 13:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/8/18 23:27
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Iwitness wrote:
Also, I give JCList at-large a lot of credit. I would have thought that Jeff would have been tarred and feathered by now. Guess when somebody identifies himself and makes a case for what everybody has kvetched about, all the keyboard tough guys wuss out.

Either that, or they finally understand that there actually is a plan, and it is being followed out.

Posted on: 2009/8/23 13:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/1/10 17:34
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Iwitness wrote:
Quote:

GnomeGeneral wrote:
Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:
I'm still not sure why store owners have any say over whether trees are or are not planted in the property within the public right of way.

I agree. In order for entire street to look clean and cohesive the store owners should have no say. It would look better if the trees were planted in every designated island.

Happy Saturday, Gnomey. We totally agree. Totes.

I also think this should be extended to residential streets, where owners should not be able to veto having a tree planted in front of their property if there is room to accommodate one. Although I get the logic that a homeowner who doesn't want a tree will probably not take care of it and just let it die (or help it do so). But that's probably a topic for another thread.

Also, I give JCList at-large a lot of credit. I would have thought that Jeff would have been tarred and feathered by now. Guess when somebody identifies himself and makes a case for what everybody has kvetched about, all the keyboard tough guys wuss out.

Holy crap...I totally agree with both of your points. If I saw a tree planted on my block and saw a neighbor trying to sabotage it, I would totally become the vigilante waterer. The pressure on my hose reaches pretty far across the street.

Posted on: 2009/8/22 23:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/29 4:12
Group:
Banned
Quote:

GnomeGeneral wrote:
Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:
I'm still not sure why store owners have any say over whether trees are or are not planted in the property within the public right of way.

I agree. In order for entire street to look clean and cohesive the store owners should have no say. It would look better if the trees were planted in every designated island.

Happy Saturday, Gnomey. We totally agree. Totes.

I also think this should be extended to residential streets, where owners should not be able to veto having a tree planted in front of their property if there is room to accommodate one. Although I get the logic that a homeowner who doesn't want a tree will probably not take care of it and just let it die (or help it do so). But that's probably a topic for another thread.

Posted on: 2009/8/22 19:55

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/11/27 17:19
From Jersey Ave
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks for the information Jeff. While I agree that we should wait until the work is completed, the work done so far seems a bit off. IMHO, the method used to lay the pavement has very little aesthetic appeal. I work in downtown Manhattan and Maiden Lane pavements are being rebuilt with what looks like similar material and it looks a lot better.

Anyhow, I will wait for the finished product on Newark. Your description does give me hope that it will be more to my liking then.

Posted on: 2009/8/22 18:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/1/10 17:34
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:

Posted on: 2009/8/19 18:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users

Aside from that, is there any other variety of tree that can be interspersed between the maples? Planting identical trees makes them all more susceptible to disease.

Posted on: 2009/8/19 18:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/2/3 3:59
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Thank you, Jeff, for joining the discussion. You are a brave man.

Posted on: 2009/8/19 16:49
I live by the river.

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/4/12 22:46
Group:
Registered Users
First let me introduce myself at risk of confrontation as the superintendent for the construction company presently working on the Newark Avenue streetscape. Someone told me about this site a little while ago so I figured I?d see what people had to say. Honestly I?m a little surprised at all of the misinformation regarding the work we are doing so I?m joining this forum as a service to your community. Im under no illusion that I could possibly please everyone but hopefully with a little more information you will have a better understanding of the project. I?ll try to address a few of the main issues rather than debating the insulting comments I have read and feel free to ask any of the workers for Jeff or I?ll try to look back here to answer them as they arise.
The trees were removed?yes, but all of the trees which were removed were not done so in hap hazard or clear cut manner and they will be replaced with new ones. Many of them were causing damage to underground rooms which in some cases project all the way from the building to the curb line. One in fact (183 Newark) had barely any soil around the roots and was leaning into the street heaving the sidewalk as it was planted on top of their basement. The city tried to save as many as they could but unfortunately many had outlived their environment and had become unsuitable and dangerous. Although it may sound easy to put in trees all over the place it?s really quite complicated. Many locations that look great at first have utilities underground or overhead, a basement or coal chamberprojecting out, or the store owner vehemently objects to blocking their facade or door way. Regardless I believe we only removed 3 on Newark and we are replanting 17 red Maples, a tree with a root system more suited for street use, at 14-16 feet high. There will also be 20 decorative concrete planters 36? high X 48? in diameter containing Smoke Bushes 4?-5? high. These are in addition to the trees in the new Mercado Park which will contain 3 red maples and 2 Alberta Spruce as well as a planting area for perennials. Don?t expect the trees until planting season in mid October as the summer heat is not conducive to transplanting.
We have never ?cut in? a tree grate on this project?they have all been cast in place so I?m a bit confused with that as well. The plastic covering on the tactile warning surfaces is left to protect the surface during construction and will be removed after paving. The silver cobra street lights are all coming down and to be replaced by a more historic decorative black fixture bolted to the foundations which are already in place with underground conduit. If you see a traffic cone bolted to the sidewalk every 50 feet or so that is where they will be going. The quantum leap in appearance will come when the road is milled, repaved, and restriped during night work in mid-September.
Like DCofJC said, it is a ?process? that encompasses many blocks and streets so as it may appear that a portion is complete but rest assured it is not. On nearly a daily basis I answer questions and even show people the plans when asked. Once they are able to see the full picture they have all been pleased. We apologize for the disruption but ask for your patience a little longer until all the improvements are complete.

Posted on: 2009/8/19 15:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/4/30 16:20
Group:
Banned
One answer covers al your questions:
"Remember, it's JERSEY CITY!"

Posted on: 2009/8/19 12:33

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/3/8 12:16
Group:
Registered Users
I was so optimistic about this streetscape thing until...
more trees were cut down than planted, and the sidewalk started looking worse than before

The only positive thing might be the nice orange sidewalk ramps - which they haven't even taken out of the plastic wrapping they came in.

now i'm curious, yet apprehensive, to see what they will build in that open area on Jersey and Newark where the trees were. Something that involves more concrete i'm sure.

Posted on: 2009/8/19 4:06

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/11/24 18:54
Group:
Registered Users
Some important finishing touches to Newark Avenue streetscape project: read about it on blogcityblog.com

Posted on: 2009/8/18 20:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/8 3:24
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCbiscuit wrote:
in Union City they're ripping up the actual antique (and still perfectly usable) brick crosswalks, and replacing them with dyed stamped concrete. it looks like hell. I will never understand the mind of an urban planner.

Just to clarify a minor point, this is the mind of an engineer, not a planner.

Posted on: 2009/7/28 15:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
As somebody who is very well versed in concrete, I will say that the concrete looks very shoddy. I could have given the material a better finish when I was a young concrete apprentice.

Also, the proper way to allow for tree cutouts is to frame around where the trees are suppose to be, and pour the concrete accordingly. NOT to pour as normal, and then cut out and jackhammer the concrete to create the cutouts!!!! That is a disgraceful waste of time, money, and labor. I'm thoroughly confused. Has anybody emailed Fulop on this matter? I may do so now...

Posted on: 2009/7/28 14:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/11/10 19:14
Group:
Registered Users
The whole stretch from Erie down to Grove is a mystery to me. If they fully intended to have a nice tree lined street wouldn't they have left cutouts for these trees? Why take the time to pour more "fake blue stone" concrete if you were just going to have to jack-hammer sections later? Makes no sense at all. So, we are left with one lonely tree in front of Skinners Loft with some cheap, flimsy metal surround.

No seating, no bike lock-up areas, nothing original, no style - Just a quick, slap-up job that we are so accustomed too.

A group of highschoolers would have done a better more thoughtful job.

Posted on: 2009/7/28 12:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/11/4 21:55
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
I agree for the sidewalk, it looks very amateurish in comparison to other water front locations. The new hamillton park sidewalks look great by comparison - silverstein and associates if I recall, they were not forced to make it look nice.

So.., who selected who for Newark, isn't there a deviation from expectations... ?

Posted on: 2009/7/28 0:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/7/18 2:23
From Not in JC anymore
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

DCofJC wrote:
The cut-outs will be filled in with trees etc. When you take on a project like a streetscape, there is a thing called a process. They will redo the whole street and then do the lamps, benches, trees and planters. Calm down. I agree, the quality of the sidewalk kind of sucks, but it will be an improvement.

They are not going to pave 20 feet put in a tree, bolt in benches, erect a street lamp, pave another 20 feet and repeat. That's just ridiculous. Give it time.

I think we all understand there is a process. Problem is, the process does not seem to be leading to quality tax dollar spent work.

The sidewalk kind of sucks? That is the worst sidewalk I have ever seen laid down in my entire life. They didn't even do a good job trimming the caulking in between. They left the plastic on the red ramps.

I didn't see them lay in any electrical for the lamps if any new ones go in at all. Are they just going to replace the few old street lights with some new ones. I was hoping for something more.

And if we are supposed to have this tree lined streetscape:
a) why did they cut out all those trees that were there already? they could have just added to these trees
b) where are all the additional cutouts for our streetscape?

I love the fact that they cut down those trees on Jersey and Newark to "park their vehicles and material there" and now the same vehicles and material are parked in the lot next door to what used to be Ox. I wonder which politicians were paid off in this debacle.

Maybe it's just me, but I think the citizens of Jersey City and being robbed of their money with this project.

Posted on: 2009/7/28 0:07
- Never argue with an idiot. They bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/26 3:33
Group:
Banned
i went to viet rest today for lunch, newark ave doesnt look any different. What's missing?

Posted on: 2009/7/27 23:48

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/7/30 19:58
From Italian Village
Group:
Registered Users
The cut-outs will be filled in with trees etc. When you take on a project like a streetscape, there is a thing called a process. They will redo the whole street and then do the lamps, benches, trees and planters. Calm down. I agree, the quality of the sidewalk kind of sucks, but it will be an improvement.

They are not going to pave 20 feet put in a tree, bolt in benches, erect a street lamp, pave another 20 feet and repeat. That's just ridiculous. Give it time.

Posted on: 2009/7/27 23:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Columbus west of Grove is really an eyesore. Embarassing.

Posted on: 2009/7/27 18:20

« 1 ... 4 5 6 (7) 8 9 10 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017