Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
113 user(s) are online (99 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 113

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: The Postal Carrier keeps leaving our front door unlocked
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/6/20 2:33
Group:
Registered Users
Happy to help.

Posted on: 2009/8/24 15:24

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/5/15 1:20
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
If it does happen "without fail," it would probably be worthwhile to fasten something to the wall above the mailbox, or the lid itself in order to prevent the lid from resting in the vertical position.

Good call. I've never been very McGyver-like, but that's an easy enough fix to do. Thanks.

Posted on: 2009/8/24 14:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/2/24 18:16
From "Pay for Play"
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

djh101 wrote:
Those on Jersey Avenue know how awesome Nick the postman is --- he?s friendly, polite, attentive, etc. ? thus the reason why gets a something from us every Christmas. [...]

When Nick hits retirement, I think I?m going to get a post office box!

Myself and others have also praised Nick here many times as he should be the poster boy for USPS as the most affable, smiling, friendly, helpful postman I've ever known in my life across many states. I sit outside several days a week and we talk about many things. I hope I'm dead before he retires to France in 30 or 40 years.

Posted on: 2009/8/24 5:44
Resized Image
Help US Sue Spectra! Join OR Donate!

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/6/20 2:33
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

djh101 wrote:
WITHOUT FAIL on rainy days when there is a substitute carrier ..., the lid to the mailbox gets left open after mail is dropped on rainy days, virtually guaranteeing that the mail will get soaked if you?re not home to promptly retrieve it.
... it is only on very rainy days that it happens. It must be the passive-aggressive outlet of substitute carriers when they have to work crappy days. Pretty pathetic.

If it does happen "without fail," it would probably be worthwhile to fasten something to the wall above the mailbox, or the lid itself in order to prevent the lid from resting in the vertical position.
It would then be self closing.

DMI

Posted on: 2009/8/24 1:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/9/17 18:39
Group:
Registered Users
I love my mailman. 2nd & Brunswick area. Polite. On time. Personable . Says hello. Oh also locks our door. Best one I have ever had.

Posted on: 2009/8/23 21:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Resized Image

Any parcels to be met by the person who acquired it at the door. Door to be locked at all times - key entry only.

Problem solved !

Posted on: 2009/8/23 20:52
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/7/18 2:23
From Not in JC anymore
Group:
Registered Users
I can attest to how great a mailman we have with Nick, and how lousy the substitutes are. I can always tell when Nick has the day off because our mail always gets screwed up when he is not around.

Case in point - sometimes the apartment number is missing or wrong in the incoming mail. So rather than putting the mail in the right box, she just leaves it on top with all of the other "unknown where to put" mail. Heaven forbid she actually glances at the names on the mail. We tend to get a lot of mail on top of our box and very little in our box when she works. I just want to thank her for letting me do her job and sort the mail.

Last Christmas, this mailcarrier delivered a package I was waiting for a whole block off. Nick tracked it down the day he got back (not even knowing that I was looking for it), walked it back, rang my doorbell, and made sure I received my package.

djh101, I agree. I don't know what we will do when he retires.

Posted on: 2009/8/23 16:46
- Never argue with an idiot. They bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/11/12 23:34
Group:
Banned
Quote:

creativeconquests wrote:
We tested our door to see if they think they locked it when it's not and it's a normal door, normal lock, normal closing, nothing out of the ordinary.

It's obviously not a "normal" door. Just about every door I've seen is self locking when it closes. And as someone else stated, I believe it's absolutely necessary to pass "inspection." Door closes behind you, latch catches, door is locked... problem solved.

Posted on: 2009/8/23 16:12

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/5/15 1:20
Group:
Registered Users
Those on Jersey Avenue know how awesome Nick the postman is --- he?s friendly, polite, attentive, etc. ? thus the reason why gets a something from us every Christmas. The fill-in personnel on his days off are total knuckleheads.

Yesterday was a classic example --- and it happens WITHOUT FAIL on rainy days when there is a substitute carrier --- for those of us whose mailboxes are not covered by any sort of overhang on the house, the lid to the mailbox gets left open after mail is dropped on rainy days, virtually guaranteeing that the mail will get soaked if you?re not home to promptly retrieve it. To pre-emptively answer your questions --- no, there is no piece of mail too big to prevent it from being closed (in fact, I have an oversized box) --- and yes, it is only on very rainy days that it happens. It must be the passive-aggressive outlet of substitute carriers when they have to work crappy days. Pretty pathetic.

Regarding the substitute carrier mentioned above (the one ALWAYS on her cell phone) ? she?s just friggin? lazy. When I have outgoing mail, I position it in such a way that it can?t possibly be missed, overlooked, or logically mistaken for the previous day?s delivered mail. In fact, one would have to move the outgoing mail out of the way in order to deposit any incoming mail ? or just shove it down into the box with the incoming mail, which is what happens when there is a substitute on Nick?s route. By crazy timing one day, I happened to be walking out the door just as mail was being delivered by the cell phone talker ---and of course outgoing mail was just ignored and pushed down into the box. With reasonable politeness, I mentioned that there was outgoing mail that she missed. Annoyed by her call being interrupted, she replied: ?Yeah ? I saw it ---- It?s not my job to collect your mail!? This is obviously untrue according to this luminary?s two supervisors. Anyone who has issues with carriers should speak to Joe or Dawn at the Washington Street post office.

When Nick hits retirement, I think I?m going to get a post office box!

Posted on: 2009/8/23 14:09

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/14 13:47
Group:
Registered Users
Where do you live. I live on 2nd st btw Coles and Jersey, and our postal carrier has left the keys to our building stuck on the door numerous times. He comes the following day and buzzes all the apartment asking for someone to let him in. We called the guy's supervisor but it has happened several more times. We finally told the guy we weren't letting him in the building. I would call their supervisor. This guy's negligence could cause someone in our building to be robbed or worse.

Posted on: 2009/3/26 22:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/3/3 2:45
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:
my taxes sent from my account. It clearly states on the envelop so anyone with a half a brain would know that it contains confidential information. Are you kidding me? Luckily for me no one took them, but obviously our SS# (mine, my wife's and daughter's) are in the forms and could have been easily stolen.

That's why you never have anything like that sent regular mail. Have it delivered by Fed Ex, UPS, or even certified mail; something that requires a signature. It's worth the expense and trouble.

Posted on: 2009/3/26 21:55

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/5/31 19:15
From Downtown JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

kitten wrote:

Being a postal carrier is a tough freaking job... rain, snow, heat, dogs, freaks, and weirdos.

Matching up addresses on an envelope with the house number is a tough job. What's even harder is depositing those envelopes into a slot or mailbox.

The next time I see my doctor, I'll tell him to be glad he's not a Jersey City postal worker.

Posted on: 2009/3/26 21:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/1/21 20:29
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

heights wrote:
Quote:

creativeconquests wrote:
We have had some incidences where the mail is strewn on the ottomon instead of the mail boxes recently too. And yesterday I saw our post guy, no uniform, loose mail, on a bike, no postal bag, enter our place with the key, obviously read the note asking to lock the door and still did not lock the door. I went out right after to see if the door was locked and nope.

He's not our normal guy - we've been getting several new ones, one girl who is ALWAYS on her cell phone, then this new guy. I don't want them to do more than their job, but just DO the job. That's it. Hands down. Is that too much to ask?

That's why they are doing that job and not a more intellectual job requiring brains. Unfortunately we depend on them. Perhaps if we go paperless then our problem is solved.

Hey! That is so rude!!! My mail carrier on Varick was great and smart and professional and my current mail carrier in the heights is excellent. The problems usually arise when they go on vacation. GOD. Being a postal carrier is a tough freaking job... rain, snow, heat, dogs, freaks, and weirdos.

Posted on: 2009/3/26 17:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/5/16 16:22
From beneath the jumping sheep
Group:
Registered Users
Did your mail look like this?

Resized Image

Resized Image

Posted on: 2009/3/26 16:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/12 14:54
Group:
Registered Users
The mailman stikes again...these people are idiots. Yesterday I come home and what's waiting for me on my stoop in clear view of everyone...my taxes sent from my account. It clearly states on the envelop so anyone with a half a brain would know that it contains confidential information. Are you kidding me? Luckily for me no one took them, but obviously our SS# (mine, my wife's and daughter's) are in the forms and could have been easily stolen. This is getting out of hand. I want to go complain, but the people working at the post-office on Washington aren't any brighter.

Posted on: 2009/3/26 14:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/2/17 14:13
Group:
Banned
I live on Sesame Street, right beside Snufflufagus' abode and around the corner from Big Bird's nest. ;) But I am close to 7th!

Posted on: 2009/3/26 14:13

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/4/30 18:45
From Downtown JC
Group:
Banned
do you live on 7th street?

Posted on: 2009/3/26 13:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Great news, it appears our regular post man was on holiday and is back and apologized on a new on our mail box. He was always great - it's these newbie's or part time's that don't seem to care - but yet, they are still getting paid? It would frustrate me to no end coming back from a vacation to know these people had no ownership or work ethic to make sure the job is done right. Glad he's home!

Posted on: 2009/3/26 2:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/16 2:51
Group:
Registered Users
i moved on jan 21st and I still haven't gotten any mail. I went from unreliable mail in my last place in JC to just none. I have made so many calls (and gotten a good bit of attitude) to the post office I have just had to start having everything go to my work - I don't understand how the mail people in JC can be so incompetent and just nothing happens no matter how much you report it.... whatever you want to think about being a postal worker - its a job and it pays decent I would think there are lots of people who would love a government job especially now - why are we constantly stuck with the bottom of the barrel - If they can't be bothered to do their job why not give it to someone else

Posted on: 2009/3/26 1:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

creativeconquests wrote:
We have had some incidences where the mail is strewn on the ottomon instead of the mail boxes recently too. And yesterday I saw our post guy, no uniform, loose mail, on a bike, no postal bag, enter our place with the key, obviously read the note asking to lock the door and still did not lock the door. I went out right after to see if the door was locked and nope.

He's not our normal guy - we've been getting several new ones, one girl who is ALWAYS on her cell phone, then this new guy. I don't want them to do more than their job, but just DO the job. That's it. Hands down. Is that too much to ask?

That's why they are doing that job and not a more intellectual job requiring brains. Unfortunately we depend on them. Perhaps if we go paperless then our problem is solved.

Posted on: 2009/3/25 16:38

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/1/9 18:02
From The Little Italy Section (Back Then)
Group:
Registered Users
During our last state inspection for a 3 family house, we were failed until we installed a knob lock that is always locked on the outside along with a required self closure.

If your going to change the lock keep this in mind. Of course some lock themself out.

Posted on: 2009/3/25 15:59

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/4/30 18:45
From Downtown JC
Group:
Banned
when i lived on 7th street b/w coles and jersey my mailman just didn't deliver the mail to my side of the street half the time.

Posted on: 2009/3/25 14:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned

Posted on: 2009/3/25 14:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/12 14:54
Group:
Registered Users
I too live in VVP neighborhood and mail-service by far is horrendous. There have been many times that I've received all of my neighbors mail and none of mine. I often have neighbors stopping by and dropping off my mail to me. I've received mail on several occasions with addresses several blocks away. The inconsistency of the time we receive the mail is also annoying. I don't understand why the mailmen don't where uniforms? I see them spending more time talking on their cell phones than working.

Posted on: 2009/3/25 13:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/5/16 16:22
From beneath the jumping sheep
Group:
Registered Users
Grovester, I'm in the VVP section and I think we may have the same mail carrier. He's a great guy but he tends to slam our door also (even after I gently reminded him not to on several occasions). I think this is simply his way of ensuring that all doors are closed properly behind him.

BTW, we seem to have gotten a temporary mail carrier 2 weeks ago. 2 Fridays ago, I came home to see all my my and my neighbors' mail strewn about on the floor. We have one of those wall mailboxes and ours was empty. It happened again the following Saturday and Monday, though it promptly stopped after I put a note on our door.

Did this happen to anyone elsea in the VVP area?

Posted on: 2009/3/25 5:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

rosember wrote:
Invest in a door check or spring hinges. You are not going to teach the post office anything, and they will not be held accountable for their actions.

You are right. It is frustrating that we will have to invest in new doors or locking mechanisms on historic doors when we can't afford it because of the apathy and lack of responsibility the post office is taking. It just boils down to turning a key. You unlocked the door, you could lock it with the same key.

But ultimately we will have to do something that protects us and it evidently is not going to be them following through. I am sure they are nice people, but they are underestimating the risk they put us in when the forget or neglect to reassure themselves they locked the door.

Posted on: 2009/3/24 19:54

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/6/19 18:03
From Grove St.
Group:
Registered Users
Invest in a door check or spring hinges. You are not going to teach the post office anything, and they will not be held accountable for their actions.

Posted on: 2009/3/24 19:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Rubin, the mailman around Hamilton Park, is the best. These other ones sound like they are being spiteful douches. I would go for the automatic locking mechanism.

Posted on: 2009/3/24 18:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/4/8 22:02
Group:
Registered Users
What is your exact address and where do you hide your valuables?

No, seriously, I don't have any suggestions on how to get the mail carrier to lock the door. Our door just automatically locks when it is shut. Our challenge is to get the mail carrier to stop SLAMMING our door so hard. Maybe you could look for that type of lock?

Good luck.

Posted on: 2009/3/24 18:48
Thank you for making The Great Jersey City SOUP SWAP an annual success! See you in January 2013 for the next Soup Swap!

The Postal Carrier keeps leaving our front door unlocked
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
I am trying to resolve an issue where postal carriers continue to leave our front lobby door unlocked. It seems like it depends on who the carrier is but it occurs 50% of the time recently.

I've literally witnessed one carrier on her cell phone the entire time just forget to lock the door while she was gabbing away on her phone. I politely reminded her and she looked at me like I had a third eye.

As a troubleshooting gesture, just in case they think they locked it, just in case when it's cold the door is stiff or something, we have left notes to remind them to double check the door is locked. We tested our door to see if they think they locked it when it's not and it's a normal door, normal lock, normal closing, nothing out of the ordinary.

We have contacted the post office and they circulated a memo to the carriers to remind them to lock our door. That did not work. We leave notes, they do not work.

Our next option is to invest in a new lock system on our door. Any suggestions for a historic door in a small building?

Would the post office be liable if they negligently left the door unlocked and a tenant was robbed? My mind is racing at how a carrier could easily tip off a shady friend what residences they left unlocked that are unattended. But that's me watching too much t.v.

P.S. I do have a third eye.

Posted on: 2009/3/24 17:49

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017