Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
123 user(s) are online (102 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 123

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: For Graffiti Artists in Jersey City -- Texting Replaces Tagging
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/25 0:22
Group:
Banned
If you have a problem with graffiti on your store front and it being an eyesore, hire a local artist to paint the thing. A guy like me would probably do it just for the cost of paint and a little extra for my time.

And also...

Quote:

GnomeGeneral wrote:

I don't care if you have to show me that "you exist" by putting a shitty throwup on my property. ESPECIALLY, if you are from the burbs, had a college education and are over 25.

Get real.

Posted on: 2009/8/18 22:40
As hard to handle as chopsticks.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/2/3 3:59
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

newgirl99 wrote:

Graffiti makers are sometimes artists . . . and sometimes graffiti makers are simply people who have something to say.

Sometimes they're just vandals.

Posted on: 2009/8/18 22:40
I live by the river.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/11/1 17:27
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

CommanderKeen wrote:
To the anti-graffiti people: what's your opinion of the mural on the side of Hudson County Art Supply? Do you think it looks nice and makes the neighborhood more lively and beautiful? If so, is there much difference between that and a mural painted on an unused wall across town?

Also, I completely understand the desire to have your property protected. My entire block once (in Newark) was defaced by some scumbags with no talent. But there's a difference, I think, between wanton destruction of personal property like that, and creating art in otherwise unused spaces.

re: HCAS. I like the mural and I welcome it. But it was done with permission. I would like more building owners letting the artist use their space.

Posted on: 2009/8/18 21:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jclxz wrote:
Quote:

PBW wrote:
Quote:

DowntownSteve28 wrote:
Stealing does not equate to graffiti. I can't stand it when people refer to it as "destruction". Nothing is being broken, nothing is being physically taken away.

If an artist (see?, I call them artists) uses my storefront as their canvas, and I have to pay to have it removed, that is money that that I would not have had to spend. No argument here can justify that.

Nothing is being broken, but it is altering/modifying things that do not belong to you. By your argument, if someone came and painted the outside out your windows black (and give it a title, like "midnight.") then it would be okay.

If your storefront is such an eyesore that spraypaint can turn it into art, you're damaging the entire community to a much greater extent than the "artist".

You're saying it's okay if the artist doesn't like like your storefront? Or are you saying that these people only go around for the benefit of beautifying the community? And since art is subjective, who are they to judge the aesthetics my storefront?

Posted on: 2009/8/18 21:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/8/27 23:48
Group:
Banned
Quote:

CommanderKeen wrote:
To the anti-graffiti people: what's your opinion of the mural on the side of Hudson County Art Supply? Do you think it looks nice and makes the neighborhood more lively and beautiful? If so, is there much difference between that and a mural painted on an unused wall across town?

Also, I completely understand the desire to have your property protected. My entire block once (in Newark) was defaced by some scumbags with no talent. But there's a difference, I think, between wanton destruction of personal property like that, and creating art in otherwise unused spaces.

And who decides if it is "more lively and beautiful"? You? What if the next guy doesn't?

That's the point, you are taking something that isn't yours and forcing your art on top of it. If your art needs to be displayed, do it on your property. People who make graffiti have no real right to do it on anyone else's property and they know it.

Posted on: 2009/8/18 21:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/1/10 17:34
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

newgirl99 wrote:
"Grafitti is an art form that, like other art forms, arises out of an attempt to speak -- or an attempt to be heard. As an attempt to exist. We make art, write poems, create sculptures because for some reason, we are compelled to create.

Many people have frowned upon my insistence that NO GRAFFITI IS BAD GRAFFITI, even if the text or images are profane, obscene, hateful, or inciteful. (Most grafitti is not the aforementioned -- but when it is, it calls attention to a person that needs embracing, or it is a call to a community to respond with dignity and strength, which, in general, they do.)

Graffiti makers are sometimes artists (as in http://www.graffiti.org/cinci/cinci_16.html), and sometimes graffiti makers are simply people who have something to say. Maybe the painter wants to say "I exist -- and even though no one seems to see me, or care about me -- I still exist and I am going to write my name on this wall to prove it." Maybe the painter wants to say, "I am so angry about X and I have a need to respond to it in a very public way." Maybe the painter chose this medium out of a love for spray paint, or maybe the painter chose it because oil paints (27$ a tube) are three times the price of a good can of spray paint (8$ a can).

Any artist, actor, musician or poet will tell you, "I am a (writer.) I have no choice." This drive to art exists as frequently and as fervently in multi-racial teenagers from "bad neighborhoods" as it does from white girls from Rochester, NY. My artwork (the books I've recently sent to many of you) has no greater value than the "BAM" tag on the bridge. I write poems because I cannot stop myself. I am constantly attempting to exist in a public way, or at least in a way that forces other people to acknowledge me. The same is true of the graffiti artist."

Text taken from www.readspeakresist.blogspot.com

Holy crap this reminds me of the "father...mother..." video art clip by one of the high school students in "Ghost World". This is what lead to the demise of art as we know it. EVERYONE is an artist and EVERYONE's visual take on things must be shoved down our throats. I don't care if you have to show me that "you exist" by putting a shitty throwup on my property. ESPECIALLY, if you are from the burbs, had a college education and are over 25.

Posted on: 2009/8/18 21:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/6/12 3:42
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

PBW wrote:
Quote:

DowntownSteve28 wrote:
Stealing does not equate to graffiti. I can't stand it when people refer to it as "destruction". Nothing is being broken, nothing is being physically taken away.

If an artist (see?, I call them artists) uses my storefront as their canvas, and I have to pay to have it removed, that is money that that I would not have had to spend. No argument here can justify that.

Nothing is being broken, but it is altering/modifying things that do not belong to you. By your argument, if someone came and painted the outside out your windows black (and give it a title, like "midnight.") then it would be okay.

If your storefront is such an eyesore that spraypaint can turn it into art, you're damaging the entire community to a much greater extent than the "artist".

Posted on: 2009/8/18 21:28

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/10/20 19:23
Group:
Banned

Posted on: 2009/8/18 20:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

DowntownSteve28 wrote:

Also, recent studies are showing the "broken windows" theory to be non-correlative to the decline in crime over the past few years; it was a false attribution to something that was happening anyway. Same goes for Guiliani.. he can't take credit for what turned out to a natural uptick in the urban cycle.

Wrong broken windows theory. Please google "broken windows Henry Hazlitt"

Wealth is not created through destruction, only production.

Posted on: 2009/8/18 19:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Not for nothing, but a bucket of paint to paint over it will most likely cost thirty bucks. And it isn't taking any of your time, outside of going to the store.

As for the chemical buff, well, your tax dollars and my tax dollars pay for it, and granted there's no sure fire bet our tax dollars in this city actually go where they should go, but still. I'm OK with my tax dollars playing into a game of cat and mouse.

To hell with the Broken Windows Theory, though.

As for the selfish reasons, hey, whatever. I believe Aleister Crowley put it best. "Do what thou wilt."

Posted on: 2009/8/18 19:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

DowntownSteve28 wrote:
You're over simplifying it. Perhaps the real world is too complicated for you.

A graffiti artist would not paint someone's windows black because that would be ridiculous. It doesn't even happen in real life; you're trying to make a point by referencing fairy tales.

On the other hand, at least some portion of the population can understand the alienation an entire block of drab steel roll gates can be. Life shouldn't imitate The Trial. Look into Espo's storefront work from the 90's for a great example of putting life back into a depressing urban streetscape. Not every landowner is a saint in this city, so stop going on about the poor, poor victims.

Again I say:

Usually people start using insults when their argument is running thin.

Posted on: 2009/8/18 19:37

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/25 2:12
Group:
Banned
You're over simplifying it. Perhaps the real world is too complicated for you.

A graffiti artist would not paint someone's windows black because that would be ridiculous. It doesn't even happen in real life; you're trying to make a point by referencing fairy tales.

On the other hand, at least some portion of the population can understand the alienation an entire block of drab steel roll gates can be. Life shouldn't imitate The Trial. Look into Espo's storefront work from the 90's for a great example of putting life back into a depressing urban streetscape. Not every landowner is a saint in this city, so stop going on about the poor, poor victims.

Posted on: 2009/8/18 19:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

DowntownSteve28 wrote:

Posted on: 2009/8/18 19:11

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/25 2:12
Group:
Banned

Also, recent studies are showing the "broken windows" theory to be non-correlative to the decline in crime over the past few years; it was a false attribution to something that was happening anyway. Same goes for Guiliani.. he can't take credit for what turned out to a natural uptick in the urban cycle.

Posted on: 2009/8/18 19:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

newgirl99 wrote:
"Grafitti is an art form that, like other art forms, arises out of an attempt to speak -- or an attempt to be heard. As an attempt to exist. We make art, write poems, create sculptures because for some reason, we are compelled to create.

But it is unique as it is the only art from that infringes on other people's property. Unless the poet is stealing writing pads.

Posted on: 2009/8/18 18:45

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/8 17:34
Group:
Registered Users

Many people have frowned upon my insistence that NO GRAFFITI IS BAD GRAFFITI, even if the text or images are profane, obscene, hateful, or inciteful. (Most grafitti is not the aforementioned -- but when it is, it calls attention to a person that needs embracing, or it is a call to a community to respond with dignity and strength, which, in general, they do.)

Graffiti makers are sometimes artists (as in http://www.graffiti.org/cinci/cinci_16.html), and sometimes graffiti makers are simply people who have something to say. Maybe the painter wants to say "I exist -- and even though no one seems to see me, or care about me -- I still exist and I am going to write my name on this wall to prove it." Maybe the painter wants to say, "I am so angry about X and I have a need to respond to it in a very public way." Maybe the painter chose this medium out of a love for spray paint, or maybe the painter chose it because oil paints (27$ a tube) are three times the price of a good can of spray paint (8$ a can).

Any artist, actor, musician or poet will tell you, "I am a (writer.) I have no choice." This drive to art exists as frequently and as fervently in multi-racial teenagers from "bad neighborhoods" as it does from white girls from Rochester, NY. My artwork (the books I've recently sent to many of you) has no greater value than the "BAM" tag on the bridge. I write poems because I cannot stop myself. I am constantly attempting to exist in a public way, or at least in a way that forces other people to acknowledge me. The same is true of the graffiti artist."

Text taken from www.readspeakresist.blogspot.com

Posted on: 2009/8/18 18:38

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
I think morally, doing graffiti on other peoples' property is terible, especially if you know they are not going to enjoy it. Taggers, that just throw up awful signs and names in 2 minutes, often do stuff on vans and populated buildings or storefronts with no regard for anyone's feelings about it.

However, I think you can morally justify painting a mural or drawing on an abandoned building, or in an alleyway, or on a storefront grate, if you think that it is being put to better use that way.

If it's a blank, ugly wall under some bridge, or a neglected rooftop, it might technically be somebody's property, but what is it being used for? This gives it a use.

Posted on: 2009/8/18 17:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

flying_the_flannel wrote:
Quote:

DirtMcGirt wrote:
I?m curious about something. Morally, how does one justify a graffiti job on someone else?s property?

As in legal walls, or are you speaking illegally and the what not?

Well, there are a lot of "unwritten laws" regarding where you write, what you write, etc. No churches, no schools, no houses, etc.

Jersey City Incinerator Authority will bring the buff (removal of graffiti) by either chemical washing it (they have a crazy giant truck!) or painting over it (if it's on a store front, if the owner supplies the paint, JCIA provides the labor

Immature as it may be, think of how many people would be out of work if they weren't out cleaning up graffiti every day, haha.

You justify doing it because you know you're gonna love the rush, and you know that your peers within the graffiti community will see it and talk amongst themselves or to you about it.

And don't worry, I know that trying to defend graffiti is a moot point and nobody is ever going to REALLY understand where I'm coming from; I'm still going to politely give the other side of the story, so to speak. I'm not gonna put you down because you don't approve of what I do, all I ask is don't put me down because I do what I do.

Even though my mom said I'm an idiot for doing it, she still loves me.

Legally? Who brought that up?

It's pretty clear I said "morally." So please answer my question again. How can you morally justify changing another person's property without their consent? The rush you described clearly did not touch on moral grounds. You essentially told me you did it for selfish reasons.

PS Your "jobs" argument is incorrect. Please see the "Broken Window" Theory by Henry Hazlitt. I can go into it if you would life.

Posted on: 2009/8/18 17:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

f if the owner supplies the paint

This is what I have an issue with. Expense and time for those the owners of the property.

Posted on: 2009/8/18 17:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

DirtMcGirt wrote:
I?m curious about something. Morally, how does one justify a graffiti job on someone else?s property?

As in legal walls, or are you speaking illegally and the what not?

Well, there are a lot of "unwritten laws" regarding where you write, what you write, etc. No churches, no schools, no houses, etc.

Jersey City Incinerator Authority will bring the buff (removal of graffiti) by either chemical washing it (they have a crazy giant truck!) or painting over it (if it's on a store front, if the owner supplies the paint, JCIA provides the labor

Immature as it may be, think of how many people would be out of work if they weren't out cleaning up graffiti every day, haha.

You justify doing it because you know you're gonna love the rush, and you know that your peers within the graffiti community will see it and talk amongst themselves or to you about it.

And don't worry, I know that trying to defend graffiti is a moot point and nobody is ever going to REALLY understand where I'm coming from; I'm still going to politely give the other side of the story, so to speak. I'm not gonna put you down because you don't approve of what I do, all I ask is don't put me down because I do what I do.

Even though my mom said I'm an idiot for doing it, she still loves me.

Posted on: 2009/8/18 16:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned

Posted on: 2009/8/18 15:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

kitten wrote:
fwiw.. I actually like the text graffiti. I like when there is a meaningful message in such a concise phrase. I like being reminded to pay attention to what is bigger, what is beyond my job and home life, the grind. I like that it appears in front of you sometimes so unexpectedly and makes you think. But, what I don't like is touching or vandalizing what is not mine. So, I can't ever fully support the graffiti thing. But then again, it's the unexpectedness and location that can make it awesome (for me)... oh... the conundrum.

Reminds me of about 20 years ago when 42nd street was all unused theaters. Someone would put sayings up on the marquis.

But you kinda nailed it on the head there.

Graffiti artists have different styles, so saying you don't like the actual art is like saying you don't like music, instead of you don't like jazz or a particular artist.

The problem comes in using property that isn't yours. It's like a painter that steals a canvass, so while I might actually like the actual piece, I can't endorse it. No one here defending graffiti can come out and say that if they don't have the owner's permission, it isn't outright vandalism.

They can argue it "improves" an abandoned building, but that is also assuming everyone likes the same type of art. To others who don't like the finished piece, it is an eyesore, regardless of if they care about the vandalism aspect.

But it's no use fretting over cause it isn't going anywhere.
I wouldn't mind, and would endorse, a public wall somewhere that welcomes it.

As someone who has a family member who's building is constantly being "tagged," I can say it's a big pain in the ass for owners who don't welcome it.

Posted on: 2009/8/18 15:15

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

flying_the_flannel wrote:
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:

Great article. In the end these "artists" are just posers trying to get laid and make money on their outlaw image. They all shop at Urban Outfitters and they're as original as Tarantino which means NOT. A few hours curled up in the fetal position, crying in a holding cell will set them right.

Haha, what? What an absurd tirade, no offense but it sounds like you have some serious issues with hipsters or something. I wouldn't step foot in an Urban Outfitters, though.

As for originality, some fantastic art (and then some) has come out of graffiti culture; I'm not speaking strictly of the graffiti culture you think of when you think graffiti, either. Yeah, in the 80's all the NYC train writers ended up all over the galleries, but what about the Situationist graffiti done by Students in France once upon a time?

I know graffiti artist who were painting trains back in NYC in the early 80's that are still alive and kickin' and doing the same thing. I know plenty of graffiti artists who have spent time in a holding cell, and aren't stopping any time soon.

Whether you like it or not, this form of vandalism has worked through a system of twists and turns and become a form of fine art. It will have ups and downs, but it isn't going anywhere.

If it weren't for graffiti, I would have never shown any interest in art, and if it weren't for that, I would have never gone to art school.

I'm sorry to come at you like this, but I've gotta defend something that means a lot to me. If it weren't for graffiti, I'd have probably turned to drugs to get my teenage kicks. And I have met a lot of youth in my travels who are into graffiti, and if they weren't doing that, they'd probably be breaking into your cars or some other shit.
I got all riled up about that post as well but I think Vigilante was talking specifically about guys like Sherpard Fairey, and not crews that do trains and walls.

Also, graffiti is what inspired my interest in art as well. I stopped painting on the street years ago though, and now do stuff on canvas (still using spraypaint though)

Posted on: 2009/8/18 1:04

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

PBW wrote:
Quote:

CommanderKeen wrote:
you are a crime
pure and simple

Wow. Nice comeback. You really put me in my place. I like graffiti now. Check out your hero Shepard fairey:
http://www.pittsburghcitypaper.ws/gyrobase/Content?oid=oid%3A59932
ha what. Shepard Fairey is my hero? I...what?

Shepard Fairey sues people and puts copyrights on his art. He's a #OOPS#. The guys I admire are guys that do stuff like this (I took this picture, actually, and just stumbled across it on Google!)

http://www.graffiti.org/nj/newark2005_theswarm.jpg

That was on an abandoned building (since demolished) in an empty lot. They (WallNutz) put it to a better use, I think.

Posted on: 2009/8/18 1:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/1/21 20:29
Group:
Registered Users
fwiw.. I actually like the text graffiti. I like when there is a meaningful message in such a concise phrase. I like being reminded to pay attention to what is bigger, what is beyond my job and home life, the grind. I like that it appears in front of you sometimes so unexpectedly and makes you think. But, what I don't like is touching or vandalizing what is not mine. So, I can't ever fully support the graffiti thing. But then again, it's the unexpectedness and location that can make it awesome (for me)... oh... the conundrum.

Posted on: 2009/8/18 1:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:

Great article. In the end these "artists" are just posers trying to get laid and make money on their outlaw image. They all shop at Urban Outfitters and they're as original as Tarantino which means NOT. A few hours curled up in the fetal position, crying in a holding cell will set them right.

Haha, what? What an absurd tirade, no offense but it sounds like you have some serious issues with hipsters or something. I wouldn't step foot in an Urban Outfitters, though.

As for originality, some fantastic art (and then some) has come out of graffiti culture; I'm not speaking strictly of the graffiti culture you think of when you think graffiti, either. Yeah, in the 80's all the NYC train writers ended up all over the galleries, but what about the Situationist graffiti done by Students in France once upon a time?

I know graffiti artist who were painting trains back in NYC in the early 80's that are still alive and kickin' and doing the same thing. I know plenty of graffiti artists who have spent time in a holding cell, and aren't stopping any time soon.

Whether you like it or not, this form of vandalism has worked through a system of twists and turns and become a form of fine art. It will have ups and downs, but it isn't going anywhere.

If it weren't for graffiti, I would have never shown any interest in art, and if it weren't for that, I would have never gone to art school.

I'm sorry to come at you like this, but I've gotta defend something that means a lot to me. If it weren't for graffiti, I'd have probably turned to drugs to get my teenage kicks. And I have met a lot of youth in my travels who are into graffiti, and if they weren't doing that, they'd probably be breaking into your cars or some other shit.

Posted on: 2009/8/18 1:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

PBW wrote:
Quote:

CommanderKeen wrote:
you are a crime
pure and simple

Wow. Nice comeback. You really put me in my place. I like graffiti now. Check out your hero Shepard fairey:

Posted on: 2009/8/18 0:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

CommanderKeen wrote:
you are a crime
pure and simple

Posted on: 2009/8/18 0:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

GnomeGeneral wrote:
Quote:

wildwildzero wrote:
you know what they say " if the aids don't get you then the sh!theads will!!!!"

Actually there is a nudnik who tags AIDS all over, he is a friend of a friend so its an awkward situation. He keeps putting lame kiddie stickers on our "For Sale" sign pretty regularly. Animal...you suck as well. Wish we could kidnap Fafi from France to paint over the ugly mural on Christopher Columbus.

AIDS is actually a crew of graffiti artists. There are members all over NJ, a lot of which are in the area.

Posted on: 2009/8/17 22:30

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
you are a crime
pure and simple

Posted on: 2009/8/17 20:54