Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
55 user(s) are online (49 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 55

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Downtown Jersey City List -> Jersey City List
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/1/7 4:11
Group:
Registered Users
Maybe I'm in the minority but for me walking through the garage isn't so bad....Today walking through the air conditioned mall was kind of nice. What specific cost effective improvements could be made at this point?

Posted on: 2009/8/19 19:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/29 4:12
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Bogart wrote:
Quote:

wibbit wrote:
But i dont understand is why noone from HP is putting up a fight now? Clearly the downtown area especially around newport/HP has been gentrified and is a great place to live, so the fear of a developer pulling out and the whole area sink back into no-man's land is not a factor anymore (and lefrak will never pull out).

Why not goto city council and fight? have lefrak/mall/city open up a pathway for HP to get into the mall/path station

I don't understand what it is you think we should be fighting for. The mall is already there and there is a huge parking garage between it and HP.

+1. What exactly would this "pathway" look like, other than a walking route through the parking lot and the mall, which already exists.

Also not being given any consideration here is the layout of the properties across the street (Marin Blvd.) from the mall, which also make for a less than ideal walking pattern. No idea how to solve that one, except to suggest razing that big apartment building and giant waste-of-space parking lot.

Posted on: 2009/8/19 19:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/2/3 3:59
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

wibbit wrote:
But i dont understand is why noone from HP is putting up a fight now? Clearly the downtown area especially around newport/HP has been gentrified and is a great place to live, so the fear of a developer pulling out and the whole area sink back into no-man's land is not a factor anymore (and lefrak will never pull out).

Why not goto city council and fight? have lefrak/mall/city open up a pathway for HP to get into the mall/path station

I don't understand what it is you think we should be fighting for. The mall is already there and there is a huge parking garage between it and HP.

Posted on: 2009/8/19 19:42
I live by the river.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/26 3:33
Group:
Banned
linky, thanks for the insight. What you said made a lot of sense and i understand back then lefrak was the shining light that will revitalize this area, so they had complete leverage over the area. And to their credit they did accomplish most of that.

Quote:

linky wrote:
I grew up here, and I remember when the mall and the first newport buildings were planned and built. Everybody like myself who was pro gentrification knew and hoped that that newport and the mall was a huge anchor that would increase gentrification. We had seen what had happened in Hoboken, and it was already happening in areas like Van Vorst Park and Hamilton Park. Hamilton Park was not that bad - never like Greenville or Bergen Lafayette.
I also rememember that the downtown residents, especially those from Hamilton Park area voiced concerns over the big suburban mall and gated buildings. They were especially upset that they would have no access to the PATH station when the mall closed. The compromise was to leave the mall open at night so that people could walk through it.
I don't like the idea of building a big mall or gated buuildings in the middle of an urban area either, but you have to know what it was like for people back in the mid eighties. The city had reached rock bottom and, for me and others, Newport was such a big development that offered so much hope for the city to spring back. Simon Lefrak held all of the cards because people wanted it. It's not like now where the ball of gentrification has been rolling for decades and people have the confidence to risk a developer pulling out.

I know there are people who will respond to this by saying that the people of downtown and JC never wanted Newport or gentrification. That is true for some, but not true for me or anyone I knew.

Posted on: 2009/8/19 19:14

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/11/24 18:54
Group:
Registered Users
linky is not entirely off the mark. even those of us who have been here all our lives were hoping the mall could add some economic vitality to downtown. Sadly, the parking garage on Marin (Mah REEN, not MAHR in) was intentionally designed to keep the rest of us, west of Marin, on our side.

Remember, the original name for the development was Newport City, as in "we're not Jersey City." Today the parking deck is our Berlin Wall, seperating us from our neighbors on the waterfront, and as no less a patriot than Ronald Reagan once said : "Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!"

Posted on: 2009/8/19 15:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/10/21 3:42
From Hilltop
Group:
Registered Users
We are lucky to have a full fledged mall to frequent. This is a rarity in this area!

Posted on: 2009/8/19 14:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/10/20 16:18
Group:
Registered Users
Considering how far the leasing has come inside the mall, and the fact they've renovated as much as they have , again, inside... I wouldn't be surprised if you see more integration of the mall into the neighborhood now that the neighborhood is so substantially different than it was in the 80's.

Those decks can be reconfigured, a plaza run "up the middle" to open it more to face Hamilton Park, they could even run small retail spaces in front of the decks ON Marin and 6th (outside only) to blend it in a little more. a lot of suburban malls are doing this (or were planning to anyway)..."lifestyle" additions so people can use the outside of the mall only for "small trip" shopping.. something to think about.

Posted on: 2009/8/19 11:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/8/9 20:03
Group:
Registered Users
I grew up here, and I remember when the mall and the first newport buildings were planned and built. Everybody like myself who was pro gentrification knew and hoped that that newport and the mall was a huge anchor that would increase gentrification. We had seen what had happened in Hoboken, and it was already happening in areas like Van Vorst Park and Hamilton Park. Hamilton Park was not that bad - never like Greenville or Bergen Lafayette.
I also rememember that the downtown residents, especially those from Hamilton Park area voiced concerns over the big suburban mall and gated buildings. They were especially upset that they would have no access to the PATH station when the mall closed. The compromise was to leave the mall open at night so that people could walk through it.
I don't like the idea of building a big mall or gated buuildings in the middle of an urban area either, but you have to know what it was like for people back in the mid eighties. The city had reached rock bottom and, for me and others, Newport was such a big development that offered so much hope for the city to spring back. Simon Lefrak held all of the cards because people wanted it. It's not like now where the ball of gentrification has been rolling for decades and people have the confidence to risk a developer pulling out.

I know there are people who will respond to this by saying that the people of downtown and JC never wanted Newport or gentrification. That is true for some, but not true for me or anyone I knew.

Posted on: 2009/8/19 11:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

wibbit wrote:
[quote]
brewster wrote:
that's clearly not the case now, i am surprised the hamilton park residents havent started a petition or pressure the city/mall to open up an entrance/pathway on the other side. Seems pretty reasonable request, considering the millions spent trying to "repave" newark ave.

Maybe they don't want an entrance open on their side just like those living in the West Village do not want the PATH platform opened at both ends.

Posted on: 2009/8/18 23:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/1/7 4:11
Group:
Registered Users
Brewster I think you are correct....It is obvious they designed it to impinge on the then poor HP residents getting easy access to the mall.
Probably felt some separation from their gentrified area would keep values high on their real estate products. Also isolating their developed area would allow them control over issues such as traffic patterns and future development.
The planned by product of such a "wall" would be to retard gentrification on proximate areas so that these areas would not dilute the value of the developers inventory.
It seems the area was originally marketed as a SELF CONTAINED town village development. It doesn't seem as if much consideration was given to HP residents or the future growth of the HP area including traffic patterns.
This is the danger of acquiescing to a developers vision without comprehensively studying long term effects. It looks like the city benefited from a large development but could it have better planned? What do you long term residents think?

Posted on: 2009/8/18 23:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

wibbit wrote:

that's clearly not the case now, i am surprised the hamilton park residents havent started a petition or pressure the city/mall to open up an entrance/pathway on the other side.

Seems pretty reasonable request, considering the millions spent trying to "repave" newark ave.

It's not like the so-called "front" of the mall is any better. A modern mall pretty much by definition turns it's back on all of the outside world. The only solution to the separation of Newport from Hamilton Park would be to remove the mall and its garages, and we know that will never happen.

It's more about history than politics or corruption, I think. The area where Newport exists now was never a residential area integrated into the fabric of the city. It was a railway yard and docks. It's a shame the people who built it didn't have more imagination than to build a suburban-style shopping mall in an urban environment, but at the time it probably made sense.

Posted on: 2009/8/18 22:48
I live by the river.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

brewster wrote:

The "wall" is just that. When Newport was planned, HP was a "needle park" surrounded by poor people. You could buy a townhouse for $10k. That's not the element they wanted in their brave new world.

that's clearly not the case now, i am surprised the hamilton park residents havent started a petition or pressure the city/mall to open up an entrance/pathway on the other side.

Seems pretty reasonable request, considering the millions spent trying to "repave" newark ave.

Posted on: 2009/8/18 21:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

wibbit wrote:
I wonder if there are some politics involved, because no city planner is this stupid as to build a wall to keep an entire neighborhood out of the mall.

What makes you think a city planner had anything to do with Newport? There's no actual public park in the entire place! At best they rubber stamped whatever LeFrak wanted.

The "wall" is just that. When Newport was planned, HP was a "needle park" surrounded by poor people. You could buy a townhouse for $10k. That's not the element they wanted in their brave new world.

Posted on: 2009/8/18 20:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Bogart wrote:

Newport effectively seceded by building that mall that turns its back on the rest of us. But we humor them that they're still a part of downtown because we need their PATH station.

yeah the way they did the layout for the mall is absolutely HORRIBLE. They could easily made the mall open to both newport + hamilton park, instead of putting the parking right there blocking all of HP and have its entrance only face newport. I wonder if there are some politics involved, because no city planner is this stupid as to build a wall to keep an entire neighborhood out of the mall.

Same goes for the path station, they dont have to change the location all they need to do is add a pedestrians friendly walkway from HP, instead of forcing all the residents there to go through the parking garage or around it in a big circle.

just terrible....

Posted on: 2009/8/18 18:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:
I must have missed the part of Newport and Paulus Hook secession from the downtown. Was that the result of the War Between the Neighborhoods in the 1860's? A downtown divided against itself cannot stand.

Newport effectively seceded by building that mall that turns its back on the rest of us. But we humor them that they're still a part of downtown because we need their PATH station.

Posted on: 2009/8/18 18:43
I live by the river.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
I must have missed the part of Newport and Paulus Hook secession from the downtown. Was that the result of the War Between the Neighborhoods in the 1860's? A downtown divided against itself cannot stand.

Posted on: 2009/8/18 16:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
i think change the name to jersey city list is a good idea, the webbie can also change the layout a bit. Have a few general sections for news etc like we do now...then specific neighborhood sections, ie: downtown, greenville, jsq etc..

Posted on: 2009/8/18 15:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/2/24 18:16
From "Pay for Play"
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

DowntownSteve28 wrote:
That's a mildly offensive response. I bet you wouldn't go to certain neighborhoods in town and tell people that they're "ghetto". You're not man enough for that.

Quote:
fasteddie wrote:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA Surely you're joking. The only reason you can post here is because the technology to filter out posts from outlying zip codes does not exist...yet. You are merely tolerated here and be thankful for THAT much. Besides, if the name did not specify "downtown" it would accurately have to be named GhettoJCList.com

DowntownSteve28, you've just been introduced to "fasteddie" an OLD jclister who used to provide us with many hours of hilarity, spoofs, parodies and mainly tongue-in-cheek. He has abandoned us for a flashier mistress who I've been told is very wired to other former users here.

The key to many of us OLD posters here since 2004 when this site started, is a humorous banter or badinage that exist on understanding that most here have a sense of humor, and know when they're being played. If you have followed another topic thread here, re: corbin street, "ghettoness", you would know that fasteddie's reference to "GhettoJCList.com" is a playful parody that resonates back to the aforementioned thread.

Damn, explaining humor to those that are clueless always kills the joke.

Posted on: 2009/8/17 21:07
Resized Image
Help US Sue Spectra! Join OR Donate!

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/10/20 19:23
Group:
Banned
Yeah and what the hell is up with craigslist.org there isn't anything about craig on that site why don't they just name it personalsandclassifiedsandthingsforsaleandeventsandhousingandjobsanddiscussionslist.org

Posted on: 2009/8/17 20:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Entire topic deleted in 3...2....1......

Posted on: 2009/8/17 20:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/24 3:29
Group:
Banned
Quote:

DowntownSteve28 wrote:
That's a mildly offensive response. I bet you wouldn't go to certain neighborhoods in town and tell people that they're "ghetto". You're not man enough for that.

No, he would. I know him and he 100% would. And it would be awesome.

As for the original topic, it's not our list. It's Webby's. If we don't like it, we don't have to come here.

Grain of salt, folks.

Posted on: 2009/8/17 20:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/10/2 19:00
From Jersey Cxxx
Group:
Registered Users
<---- :gettingoutthepopcorn:

Posted on: 2009/8/17 20:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/7/8 2:45
From Bergen/Laf
Group:
Registered Users
OH SHIT STEVE! Nice post!!

and Yes, I don't believe he would do that in person either...

Posted on: 2009/8/17 20:29

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/25 2:12
Group:
Banned

Posted on: 2009/8/17 20:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/13 23:12
Group:
Registered Users
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA Surely you're joking. The only reason you can post here is because the technology to filter out posts from outlying zip codes does not exist...yet. You are merely tolerated here and be thankful for THAT much. Besides, if the name did not specify "downtown" it would accurately have to be named GhettoJCList.com

Posted on: 2009/8/17 19:43

Downtown Jersey City List -> Jersey City List
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/10/21 3:42
From Hilltop
Group:
Registered Users
I must be oblivious because I just realized the logo on this site says ?downtown jersey city list?. I noticed it when some people started to quote it indicating the focus of the forum is on the downtown neighborhood.

So, should it be changed to ?Jersey City List? since the name could lead some to believe Newport, Paulus Hook, JSQ, Greenville, etc are not included here?

The url after all is not www.djclist.com, the users are from all over the city, and from browsing the threads most have to do with the entire city or other areas, not just ?downtown?.

Posted on: 2009/8/17 19:31

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017