Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
108 user(s) are online (96 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 108

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 »

Re: Van Vorst Park Dog Run
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/26 8:40
Group:
Banned
why are you calling me a troll when you specifically called me out in your post an asked me to give you s sarcastic comment? i'm just complying, you old swish. and what the hell was going on in the park yesterday?

Posted on: 2009/8/16 13:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/12/12 21:42
From on van vorst park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

OottaBahr wrote:
Quote:
wrote:

hey you old fool, where are you vacationing?

hope you're having a good time. while you are away we are removing all your signs, cutting the lock between the small and large sections of the run and smoking a lot.
I knew I could rely on my personal troll to respond. How are you, young fur ball?

I?m in northern California getting ready to play golf on a ?dry? 100-degree sunny day?hope I survive it.

Take care of the park, as you always do, while I?m gone.

Kisses

Posted on: 2009/8/11 21:06

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

parkman wrote:
I?m on vacation for the first time in a while and have been reluctant to respond to this thread for a number of reasons, not the least of which, will be the obligatory sarcastic retort from rabbit. However, a number of posts distort the behavior of run users and/or the origins and purpose of the Van Vorst Park dog run.

Before this run was built, there were no legal spaces within a public park downtown to let your pets play unleashed. This run was a compromise between those of us who were trying to provide a passive Victorian style park (which is how VVP was deeded to the city of Jersey City by the family of Van Vorst in the 1860?S) and the growing number of dog owners in our community. Off-leash use within the park was destroying the newly planted lawns (1999) and making it difficult to maintain our 19 gardens.

After a number of false starts to resolve these issues, I asked a number of pro-active dog owners to meet at my home to try and work out something that would benefit all concerned. It took a year?s worth of research, community input, city cooperation, private fundraising, and justifiably skeptical public reaction, but the VVP dog run was formally completed in May of 2007.

This run was not built to provide a space for all the dogs in downtown, but a starting point and template to be used for other public spaces within Jersey City parks. VVP is only two acres and to designate 4,000 sq. ft. for dog use only, certainly seemed equitable, when initially, no such facility was ever planned for the park.

Is the run perfect? No. The city took shortcuts from the original design for the drainage (which still pisses me off) but I think you still have one of the most attractive places to exercise your pets, surrounded by roses, lavender, and other foliage, donated and maintained by a non dog owner just trying to make this park useful for as many people in the community as possible.

As far as the complaints about dog walkers in the run, I can tell you that the three, who frequent the run most, are very responsible when it comes to keeping on eye on their charges. Two of them frequently help maintain the surface of the run by responding to the request posted, by raking and shoveling and knowing that this run is community maintained. All three have donated money (and should), to help provide waste bags to others who do not do so. One walker sometimes does bring more than 3 dogs in at a time and should not do so. One smokes (I think it should be banned in the run and children?s areas) and if there was an ordinance against it, I would certainly find a space for another sign. But I can unequivocally say that all three clean up after their client?s pets, are not on cell phones and thereby miss what deposits are being left, they respond to barking from these pets, and are very protective of your dogs and theirs.

It seems this thread started from a misunderstanding or someone just having a bad day; perhaps all should be happy to have at least one place (with hopefully more to come) to let your pets have a space to run off leash and you to socialize with your neighbors.

See you next week,

parkman

hey you old fool, where are you vacationing?

hope you're having a good time. while you are away we are removing all your signs, cutting the lock between the small and large sections of the run and smoking a lot.

Posted on: 2009/8/11 20:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/18 19:17
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
thanks, Parkman. for everything. and please enjoy the rest of your well-deserved vacation.

Posted on: 2009/8/11 13:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/12/12 21:42
From on van vorst park
Group:
Registered Users
I?m on vacation for the first time in a while and have been reluctant to respond to this thread for a number of reasons, not the least of which, will be the obligatory sarcastic retort from rabbit. However, a number of posts distort the behavior of run users and/or the origins and purpose of the Van Vorst Park dog run.

Before this run was built, there were no legal spaces within a public park downtown to let your pets play unleashed. This run was a compromise between those of us who were trying to provide a passive Victorian style park (which is how VVP was deeded to the city of Jersey City by the family of Van Vorst in the 1860?S) and the growing number of dog owners in our community. Off-leash use within the park was destroying the newly planted lawns (1999) and making it difficult to maintain our 19 gardens.

After a number of false starts to resolve these issues, I asked a number of pro-active dog owners to meet at my home to try and work out something that would benefit all concerned. It took a year?s worth of research, community input, city cooperation, private fundraising, and justifiably skeptical public reaction, but the VVP dog run was formally completed in May of 2007.

This run was not built to provide a space for all the dogs in downtown, but a starting point and template to be used for other public spaces within Jersey City parks. VVP is only two acres and to designate 4,000 sq. ft. for dog use only, certainly seemed equitable, when initially, no such facility was ever planned for the park.

Is the run perfect? No. The city took shortcuts from the original design for the drainage (which still pisses me off) but I think you still have one of the most attractive places to exercise your pets, surrounded by roses, lavender, and other foliage, donated and maintained by a non dog owner just trying to make this park useful for as many people in the community as possible.

As far as the complaints about dog walkers in the run, I can tell you that the three, who frequent the run most, are very responsible when it comes to keeping on eye on their charges. Two of them frequently help maintain the surface of the run by responding to the request posted, by raking and shoveling and knowing that this run is community maintained. All three have donated money (and should), to help provide waste bags to others who do not do so. One walker sometimes does bring more than 3 dogs in at a time and should not do so. One smokes (I think it should be banned in the run and children?s areas) and if there was an ordinance against it, I would certainly find a space for another sign. But I can unequivocally say that all three clean up after their client?s pets, are not on cell phones and thereby miss what deposits are being left, they respond to barking from these pets, and are very protective of your dogs and theirs.

It seems this thread started from a misunderstanding or someone just having a bad day; perhaps all should be happy to have at least one place (with hopefully more to come) to let your pets have a space to run off leash and you to socialize with your neighbors.

See you next week,

parkman

Posted on: 2009/8/11 7:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/29 4:12
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
Yes, plenty of room for you and Jenny and maybe your dogs. I commend Parkman but that run is waaaay too small. It's not an opinion, it's a fact. If you wanna exercise your dog in JC the best places are LSP, Lincoln Pk or HP if it ever reopens.

Mocking a dog run for being too small is like mocking a condo or apartment for being to small - if it works for some people, but not for you, then that's your preference, it's not a "fact." Lots of people trade square footage for beauty and location, whether here or in NYC. That you have different priorities does not make your opinion a fact, regardless of how high an opinion of yourself you might have.

You say dog runs are about exercising, others say dog runs are about socializing their dogs with other dogs. Some runs are better for one activity and not the other. Again, it's subjective, it's not "fact."

Funny how the Great Dane my dog plays with at the VVP dog park doesn't seem to complain much about the run being too small for him. Then again, Rosie is one of the coolest dogs I've ever met.

I love the new run in Lincoln Park even if it's a pain in the ass to get to. And I didn't realize there was a dog run in LSP. Where?

Posted on: 2009/8/11 0:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/24 3:29
Group:
Banned
Vig, I guess my question to you is: why do you care? If it's not to your liking, don't go. But don't trash it for everyone else. Especially those of us who obey leash laws and play by the rules, thus making LSP nothing more than a gorgeous place to take a dog for a looooooooooong walk... on a leash.

Posted on: 2009/8/11 0:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

jennymayla wrote:
good. so don't go. more room for us. yay!

Don't worry, it's all yours. Yay!

Posted on: 2009/8/11 0:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Yes, plenty of room for you and Jenny and maybe your dogs. I commend Parkman but that run is waaaay too small. It's not an opinion, it's a fact. If you wanna exercise your dog in JC the best places are LSP, Lincoln Pk or HP if it ever reopens.

Posted on: 2009/8/11 0:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/26 20:09
Group:
Banned
Tell him Jenny.

Also, people should be reminded the name of this town is NOT

Jersey FARMS; but it's Jersey CITY.

The size of the VVP dog run is very ideal, particularly considering the size of the park. Parkman has really extended himself to enhance its presence to integrate well with the rest of the other purposes for which people use the park. Yay parkman.

If you're going to be such a hater maybe you may want to consider moving.

Posted on: 2009/8/11 0:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/24 3:29
Group:
Banned
good. so don't go. more room for us. yay!

Posted on: 2009/8/11 0:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

SamS wrote:
I've been to the VVP dog run on many occasions over the last two and half years, almost always on the weekends when you would think it would be the most crowded.

My observations are the size of the dog run is most certainly adequate and the dogs in there (and I have never seen more than 7 dogs in there at once) have plenty of room to run until their hearts are content.

Any claim that's it's not adequate in size or any other metric is disingenuous and bratty.

Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
The real question is, is that really a dog-run? It's like 50 square feet. It's a dog-standaround really.

Call me "bratty" all you want but that dog-run still sucks.

Posted on: 2009/8/11 0:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/8/18 23:27
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tern wrote:
There is a small dog-run behind BJ's in the extreme South-East corner of the car park, next to the light rail tracks. Second Street and Warren Street, somewhere around there.

Not many people seem to know about it.

Robin.

It's about 100 sqft and asphalt. What dog doesn't love running on asphalt, especially when there is a patch of grass right next to it with a no dogs sign.

Pathetic.

Posted on: 2009/8/10 23:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/18 1:45
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
There is a small dog-run behind BJ's in the extreme South-East corner of the car park, next to the light rail tracks. Second Street and Warren Street, somewhere around there.

Not many people seem to know about it.

Robin.

Posted on: 2009/8/10 22:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
I've been to the VVP dog run on many occasions over the last two and half years, almost always on the weekends when you would think it would be the most crowded.

My observations are the size of the dog run is most certainly adequate and the dogs in there (and I have never seen more than 7 dogs in there at once) have plenty of room to run until their hearts are content.

Any claim that's it's not adequate in size or any other metric is disingenuous and bratty.

Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
The real question is, is that really a dog-run? It's like 50 square feet. It's a dog-standaround really.

Posted on: 2009/8/10 22:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/10/2 20:19
Group:
Registered Users
or, perhaps the gate could be opened

Posted on: 2009/8/10 21:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/29 4:12
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:

It's better than nothing. I'd go as far as to say it's the biggest public dog run in Downtown Jersey City.

Although it really is a shame that it was split between large and small breeds, considering that I've seen the small breed half used maybe twice in my life. What a waste.

Mr. Parkechov, tear down this fence!

Posted on: 2009/8/10 21:47

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:

Thank you - i've been saying that for years - even before the "dog run to end all dog runs" was created.

Posted on: 2009/8/10 21:36

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

SamS wrote:
I really wish there were a NO SMOKING RULE in the dog run.

Tell parkman, I am sure there is at least room for one more sign in the run for no smoking.

Posted on: 2009/8/10 21:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned

Posted on: 2009/8/10 21:33

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

chiefdahill wrote:
Not to throw gas on the fire but I heard that she asked you to wait a minute while she washed the grime of one of the dogs and that they were in the entrance gate for less than 1 minute. You didn't feel like waiting and proceeded to open the gate anyway which could have allowed those dogs inside to run out into the park or even worse the street. That is when she corrected you.

This particular dog walker is a great person who helps maintain the dog run and I take her word over a 1st time poster that signs into jclist just to bash someone's reputation.

I think we need two sides of the story here.

you're all missing the point - dog walker or not - you are not supposed to WASH a dog in the dog's DRINKING fountain. and if this dogwalker was my dog walker and I found out i was paying her 15 dollars to walk my dog for 20 minutes and she was walking my dog with 7 other dogs and spent some of that time was spent being tied up i'd fire her ass like it was nobody's bee-eye-bithnethtthh.

Posted on: 2009/8/10 21:29

Re: Van Vorst Park dog run courtesy
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

JCbiscuit wrote:
somebody who walks dogs for a living had the nerve to be condescending? that takes balls.

that's kinda condescending, yourself, arsewipe

Posted on: 2009/8/10 21:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/1/15 16:41
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
WOW, you all must have way too much time on your hands to get on here and post about other people and your problems with them. Why not be an adult and talk it out in person. That is whats wrong with assholes on the East coast...A bunch of loud mouths!

So you post here to complain that people who post here are lame? Please tell me you see the irony here.

Posted on: 2009/8/10 17:40

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/8/10 17:16
Group:
Registered Users
WOW, you all must have way too much time on your hands to get on here and post about other people and your problems with them. Why not be an adult and talk it out in person. That is whats wrong with assholes on the East coast...A bunch of loud mouths! I personally know this dog walker, the dogs and the other people in the run at that time. I think you should have waited, seeing all the other posts reinforces that!

Posted on: 2009/8/10 17:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
At least we all agree that all dog runs should have a NO SMOKING rule.

Posted on: 2009/8/9 20:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/22 6:01
Group:
Registered Users
wow doglover. kinda defensive, aren't we?

look, it's a gorgeous day. why don't we all take a walk?

(I'll do mine for free, thanks.)

Posted on: 2009/8/9 17:21

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/8/26 14:26
Group:
Registered Users
@I heart JC, are you a dog walker? Ummm no, so why don't you mind your business and stop making statements about services provided by the dog walkers in the area when you have no idea what you are talking about.

People really need to get lives and stop trying to live others....give me a break.

Posted on: 2009/8/9 17:05

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/8/26 14:26
Group:
Registered Users
@ Fleurdelys I still can't believe how bitter you are about the situation that happened. Again the dog walker was not rude, did not take more than a minute to collect her dogs which was not seven and was about to leave the run before you barged in. You had no patience that day. You had no right to come on here and bash her, you have some nerve, you two are the condescending people. It is a community run and adjustments are made. It in general is a pleasant place to be, with little incident. The fact that you are so bent out of shape over someone asking you to simply wait is insane to me. Rules? Try reading them, it also says, which I guess you didn't see, 'One Family At A Time In the Enterway'. How many times have there been ppl in the run without dogs, 8 ppl in the run with one dog, un-neutered dogs in the run, children under 12 with a parent, ppl with squeaky toys in the run and the run is privately funded btw. You obviously haven't been to the run enough to see that ppl work things out amongst themselves and aren't rigid individuals. As the above posted said, there are plenty of dog walkers and ppl who need their dog walked, as you are not a dog walker you shouldnt make comments on the their services. And I would really love to live in your 'perfect' world where nothing besides a 'perfect world' exists, lol.

Posted on: 2009/8/9 17:02

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/21 20:12
Group:
Registered Users
FYI, I heart JC, my clients pay for the exact service I provide, which is an off-leash play date at the dog park. They aren't interested in a walk, they prefer their dogs to play and socialize for an hour.

And, Fleur, as I said, there were 4 or 5 people in the dog run, according to your own math. Also, as an aside, perhaps you should pick up a book on dog psychology so you'll know from now on when you're about to walk your dog into a potentially dangerous situation.

The good news for everyone here is that there are plenty of dog walkers in JC and there are plenty of clients. I actually have a wait list to join my play groups. The point is, everyone can find the walker and the clients that work for them.

Posted on: 2009/8/9 14:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/13 17:19
From time to time
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
Fleurdelys wrote: I am sure she is an AMAZING person, I am also an AMAZING person to people that know me.
Photobucket

Posted on: 2009/8/9 14:35

(1) 2 3 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017