Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
149 user(s) are online (137 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 149

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: CREATE to add Downtown campus (Grand & Grove) in collaboration with the Boys and Girls Club
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/7/8 2:45
From Bergen/Laf
Group:
Registered Users
Oops I was plusing Jennys post

Posted on: 2009/7/20 15:56

Re: CREATE to add Downtown campus (Grand & Grove) in collaboration with the Boys and Girls Club
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/7/8 2:45
From Bergen/Laf
Group:
Registered Users
+ 1 Million

terrible, now your complaining about kids... and lets be real here... project minorities mainly... cause if it was white kids bussed in from Bayonne I doubt you would be bitching...

These programs take these kids out of their enviorment and keeps them out of trouble.

Posted on: 2009/7/20 15:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/21 19:48
Group:
Registered Users
CREATE, like LCCS, is a charter school. Charter schools are open to students from all over the city. In addition, the city's high schools are open city-wide. The new CREATE site will draw from all over as well.

Posted on: 2009/7/20 15:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/1/10 17:34
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

teacher wrote:
Linky, 440 is where these kids belong, or on Bergen, or MLK, closer to THEIR homes. How about that vacated ex-school DUMP on Bright Street. Founding fathers....enough with the reverse -descrimination. The current public schools need to be fixed, not making another beaucratic albatrose. I deserve the Right to peace in the area I bought into.

Seriously, these facilities need to be built in the neighborhoods where the children come from.

Posted on: 2009/7/20 14:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/21 19:48
Group:
Registered Users
That hard core scary crossing guard kept hundreds of children safe at the hard core scary intersection for over 10 years. That woman was a godsend.

Posted on: 2009/7/20 14:01

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/6/24 20:55
Group:
Registered Users
Teacher, huh. Hopefully not to my kids!

Posted on: 2009/7/19 20:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
The old PS #3 on Bright St. is being used for adult education. There are classes during the day.

Posted on: 2009/7/19 19:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/3/25 16:52
Group:
Banned
Linky, 440 is where these kids belong, or on Bergen, or MLK, closer to THEIR homes. How about that vacated ex-school DUMP on Bright Street. Founding fathers....enough with the reverse -descrimination. The current public schools need to be fixed, not making another beaucratic albatrose. I deserve the Right to peace in the area I bought into.

Posted on: 2009/7/19 16:40

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/11/22 2:28
Group:
Registered Users
I live close to this area and support this move. Most kids who attend charter schools are usually there because they either want to be, or their parents want them to be. Get any large number of people together and it will be loud.

Posted on: 2009/7/18 15:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/4/30 16:20
Group:
Banned
Hmmm,
Is it another PRIVATE school with PUBLIC money?

Posted on: 2009/7/18 14:22

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/8/23 1:54
Group:
Registered Users
Linky, I agree. It takes a lot more than being a good homeowner to make a neighborhood like ours work. We have to be community-minded. The students that benefit from the efforts of the Boys and Girls Club are proof of this.

Community-based organizations like the Boys and Girls Club, the York St. Project, etc. are what can change a students' life around. They are the heart of an urban community.

Posted on: 2009/7/18 14:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/8/9 20:03
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

teacher wrote:
Am I the only Van Vorst (near Grand and Grove) resident that opposes this?
We don't need more kids bused in down here.
11 hours? What time will they be leaving school?

Loud, obnoxious, pants below asses, litering, congestion, noise from more building. perhaps more flooding!

I will be selling, toward the end of the year because of this.

This community will lose someone that maintains his building and sidewalk and is respectful of his neighbors and tenents.

There's a lot more to being a good citizen than maintaining your property and being respectful of your neighbors. Why do you think the founding fathers created a system of public education that was to be paid for by local real estate taxes? Think about it.

Posted on: 2009/7/18 10:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/8/9 20:03
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

teacher wrote:
getting a little congested down here...we still have flooding issues, how about on 440 or up on Bergen or MLK.

Why is it going to be any more congested than it was last year when LCCS was in there? It's an equal swap..........no?

Posted on: 2009/7/18 10:54

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/7/18 2:03
Group:
Registered Users
I've honestly had enough of the newly moved in downtown residents complaining about positive programs springing up within Jersey City. Many of you weren't here 10 years ago and are living in your small gentrified bubble. What problem is there for parents and organizers to want children to go to school in a positive environment.

If you were worried about having children in your neighborhood or non-yuppies, maybe jersey city isn't the place for you. Hoboken is only a stones throw away.

Posted on: 2009/7/18 2:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/24 3:29
Group:
Banned
Quote:

teacher wrote:

Loud, obnoxious, pants below asses, litering, congestion, noise from more building. perhaps more flooding!

This community will lose someone that maintains his building and sidewalk and is respectful of his neighbors and tenents.

Flooding how? With Lipski's pee?

Perhaps you were unaware but the kids are the future. If you don't like it, leave. oh good, you already plan to.

Bye.

(PS: i'm your neighbor and I fully support that space being used for whatever benefits the kids. even if it means more of that hardcore scary crossing guard who has whistle power fantasies.)

Posted on: 2009/7/18 0:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/9/14 20:15
From Crystal Point
Group:
Registered Users
Is there any plan to get rid of the Boys & Girls Club? Seems like a waste of money to bus these juveniles in, why not relocate it closer to where they live like in their project. We should also get rid of the school on Washington & Sussex!

Posted on: 2009/7/17 22:55

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/8/23 1:54
Group:
Registered Users
I live next door to the Boys and Girls Club, and I personally support any efforts they take in improving the school environment for students in the JC area.

Posted on: 2009/7/17 13:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned

Posted on: 2009/7/16 16:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/11/1 17:27
Group:
Registered Users
I heard 500 feet once, but I'm not sure.

There's probably an exemption if the liquor establishment is there first.

Posted on: 2009/7/15 0:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/4/2 20:55
Group:
Registered Users
What distance does a place with a liquor license have to be from a school in JC?

Posted on: 2009/7/15 0:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
getting a little congested down here...we still have flooding issues, how about on 440 or up on Bergen or MLK.

Posted on: 2009/7/14 16:43

CREATE to add Downtown campus (Grand & Grove) in collaboration with the Boys and Girls Club
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
CREATE to add Downtown campus

Tuesday, July 14, 2009
By PAUL TAKAHASHI
JOURNAL STAFF WRITER

In collaboration with the Boys and Girls Clubs of Hudson County, CREATE Charter School is opening a second campus in Jersey City.

CREATE will open its new Downtown campus on Aug. 1 at the club's Jersey City facility at 1 Canal St.

Executive Director Steve Lipski, who opened CREATE's Greenville campus at 164 Lembeck Ave. in 2001, was looking to expand the school when a vacancy occurred at the Boys and Girls Club earlier this year.

"We've had a great ongoing relationship with the Boys and Girls Club over the years," Lipski said. "This was a natural fit made in heaven."

Students in grades 6 through 9 have their choice of attending school at the new campus or the Lembeck Avenue site, Lipski said, while all students in grades 10 through 12 will stay at Lembeck Avenue.

The space had been occupied by the Learning Community Charter School, but it became available when LCCS decided to move into the former Caritas Academy building, at the corner of Kennedy Boulevard and Kensington Avenue.

Gary Greenberg, the executive director of the Boys and Girls Club's Hudson County chapter, said CREATE will pay roughly $200,000 for the 2009-2010 school year in an agreement that spans five years.

CREATE and the Boys and Girls Club have been partners in the past, Lipski said. Students have participated in the club's dinners and summer programs, and now they'll have a chance to attend the club's after-school activities in the same building.

"We want to offer parents and students an alternative way of doing education," Lipski said. "We're now uniquely poised for the opportunity to have up to an 11-hour school day."

Greenberg said the club and the school are coordinating efforts to build a new athletic facility for kids in both programs.

"This is fantastic," Greenberg said. "This direct synergy will allow us to provide a total educational environment."

The new CREATE campus will have nine classrooms, a parent conference room, administration offices, a reception area and access to a gym both programs can use. Currently, the school's facilities are being renovated, Greenberg said, but will be ready by August.

"It's a win-win for the Boys and Girls Club and for the school," Greenberg said. "It's a dream come true for both of us."

Posted on: 2009/7/14 12:35

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017