Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
121 user(s) are online (111 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 121

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Jersey City Animal Hospital neglected my dog for 8 hours
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/1/12 0:51
From Lincoln Park
Group:
Registered Users
just picked my dog up from the jcah on west side. two people who he's stayed with before were out of town or had house guests. i was not too keen about boarding him, but we had no choice. he already knew a couple of the vets (dr. fede nee thornton is his usual vet) and some of the techs (this one tech named beth always comes out to see him if she knows she's not going to be his tech for our visit).

he is happy and healthy after staying with them for four days. i've never had any difficulty with the vets or the techs or the administrative staff.

i was there once when someone brought in a dog that had been hit and they really did drop everything else. joyofsound, i realize you don't know what the extenuating circumstances of that particular day were, and i don't want to belittle your experience. i think if you want to go looking for a new vet that is fine. just wanted to post and say that in my experience neglect or absentmindedness or whatever it was is not part of their usual operating procedure.

oh, and my secret to tooth brushing:

i started with a toothbrush full of cheez whiz and i let the dog lick it off. every couple of days i used a little less cheez whiz and a little more dog toothpaste and moved the toothbrush a little more. took about two weeks. now i brush his teeth a couple of times per week and he rolls on his back and opens up. i wouldn't say he enjoys it, but he knows that if he gives me 45 seconds he'll get a biscuit.

Posted on: 2009/7/13 13:35

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/4/24 16:13
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

otnemem wrote:
OP,

You are someone I would hate.

Second that.

Posted on: 2009/7/12 22:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/9/3 23:20
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

DrStrangelove wrote:
We also have some friends who use them, and their dog was suffering from diarrhea, that they couldn't explain. We encouraged them just to try a different brand of dog food:
http://www.shopwiki.com/Canidae
And then after a few days their dog was fine. I'm not trying to say we're a Cesare or a Vet, but this was a simple test JC AH didn't even suggest that took care of their problem, and their dog is much more active now that she's eating the Canidae.

I cannot wait till my dogs dry food runs out because I plan on switching him to Canidae no grain. He's did okay on Wellness and California Natural, but still gets dry patches on his skin from grains and chicken. I hear it's a great food. We'll see!

Posted on: 2009/7/12 22:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

jennymayla wrote:
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
Quote:

designknob wrote:
Well of course they didn't give the dog water. They had the dog on hold waiting for a window to do the procedure. If they'd given the dog water, then it wouldn't have happened. Am I the only one that gets this? Your dog not getting water for 8 hours doesn't really constitute neglect in my eyes since the procedure the dog was going to have required no water beforehand. I doubt your dog even noticed and/or cared. If were 24 hours of more I could see your point, but come on.

8 hours (at the minimum) from the night before + 8 hours in the cage = 16 hours and that is unacceptable care. After 2 or 3 hours they should've put their greed aside and postponed the procedure. Somebody dropped the ball and they're lucky the dog, which is elderly, did not get seriously ill. If that was me and they did that to my dog you would be reading about the bloodshed in the JJ. BTW? Your cynical, douchie, no-nonsense front is getting tiresome.

And your shoot-first-ask-questions-later front is getting a little tiresome.

To the original poster, sorry you had to deal with such a bad situation. To me, sounds like they are mostly guilty of incredibly poor time management, but I can see why it's so aggravating to you. Find a new vet.

It isn't easy for me being right all the time Jenny.

Posted on: 2009/7/12 19:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/24 3:29
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
Quote:

designknob wrote:
Well of course they didn't give the dog water. They had the dog on hold waiting for a window to do the procedure. If they'd given the dog water, then it wouldn't have happened. Am I the only one that gets this? Your dog not getting water for 8 hours doesn't really constitute neglect in my eyes since the procedure the dog was going to have required no water beforehand. I doubt your dog even noticed and/or cared. If were 24 hours of more I could see your point, but come on.

8 hours (at the minimum) from the night before + 8 hours in the cage = 16 hours and that is unacceptable care. After 2 or 3 hours they should've put their greed aside and postponed the procedure. Somebody dropped the ball and they're lucky the dog, which is elderly, did not get seriously ill. If that was me and they did that to my dog you would be reading about the bloodshed in the JJ. BTW? Your cynical, douchie, no-nonsense front is getting tiresome.

And your shoot-first-ask-questions-later front is getting a little tiresome.

To the original poster, sorry you had to deal with such a bad situation. To me, sounds like they are mostly guilty of incredibly poor time management, but I can see why it's so aggravating to you. Find a new vet.

Posted on: 2009/7/12 18:19

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/25 10:37
Group:
Registered Users
We stopped taking our dog to Jersey City Animal Hospital entirely. It was early on that we made that decision after we got our dog.

We were new dog owners, and although we did a lot of reading up, they didn't take the time to walk us through some things that our new vet did. They didn't even do simple things like when our puppy was getting multiple vaccinations / boosters to spread them around, instead they put two of them in the same leg.

We also have some friends who use them, and their dog was suffering from diarrhea, that they couldn't explain. We encouraged them just to try a different brand of dog food:
http://www.shopwiki.com/Canidae
And then after a few days their dog was fine. I'm not trying to say we're a Cesare or a Vet, but this was a simple test JC AH didn't even suggest that took care of their problem, and their dog is much more active now that she's eating the Canidae.

BTW, our vet in Manhattan, Heart of Chelsea http://heartofchelsea.com/ suggested these VeggieDent ( http://www.shopwiki.com/VeggieDent+Chews ) for dental care, and they have been great. other dogs similar in age to ours have already been in for dental cleaning, and Heart of Chelsea said our dog was doing fine and no need.

I would stay away from Jersey City Animal Hospital. There are more of these stories floating around than you would believe.

Posted on: 2009/7/12 18:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

designknob wrote:

Posted on: 2009/7/12 0:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/11/12 23:34
Group:
Banned

Posted on: 2009/7/11 22:28

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/7/29 15:46
From Bayonne, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
Hmmm.. Im really sorry to hear about your experience with JCAH.. I think its really strange to hear about something like this.

I have been taking my 2 cats (with nerve damage) and rabbit to Dr. Buckholz (who is basically the owner.. if you have a problem, ask for him) there for the past 4 years and I have had nothing but the absolute BEST experience. My 8 year old rabbit has had 3 oral surgeries with him, and EVERY time he is finished or there is a complication, Dr. B calls me on my cell to give me the DL. I love the entire staff at this hospital! I agree, they should have called you and kept you posed regarding your animals situation.. Im truly sorry to hear about your experience.. but I have tried 5 different vets and JCAH is the absolute best.

What particular vet was your dogs care under?

Posted on: 2009/7/11 21:52

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/3/13 2:33
Group:
Registered Users
Putting elderly dogs under anesthesia sounds so risky.
Especially small breeds.

I opt for the regular and hated brushing for my guy.

Posted on: 2009/7/11 5:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/10/2 20:19
Group:
Registered Users
Did they say he wasn't given water, or that he wasn't drinking what was given? The story is ambiguous.

Posted on: 2009/7/11 2:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Keep in mind folks that a dog is not supposed to have either water or food after 12am the night before any surgical procedure. This poor dog had not eaten nor had any water for well over 16 hours. That is horrible care by this vet.

Posted on: 2009/7/11 2:05

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/1/27 16:58
Group:
Banned
OP,

You are someone I would hate.

Posted on: 2009/7/11 1:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/8/27 23:48
Group:
Banned
You certainly did not receive good service, but how is it neglect? Why should they be reported?

Posted on: 2009/7/10 23:33

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/5/21 2:29
Group:
Registered Users
I've taken my dog in for cleaning yearly at my vet and it's never been more than 400 dollars (actually in March last time we went it was 350). We've been going to Gramercy Park Hospital in the city for this for 5 years. Not local, but she's small and plops easily in a bag.

My dog is also a small breed - 17 pounds, elderly like yours (12) ... I know they take a bit more care (monitoring her oxygen levels throughout of for her own murmur) because she's a brachycephalic dog (aka boston terriers, pugs, english bulldogs, frenchies, etc).

Not letting you know that they weren't able to do it and waiting till 4pm isn't ok. I know at my vet there's one person who solely does the teeth cleaning and she comes in tues & thurs. That way the other doctors and technicians can attend to everything else and any emergencies.

There's not much you can do but stop taking your dog there - they should take more care with such an older dog, especially one with a heart murmur.

Posted on: 2009/7/9 17:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JoyOfSound wrote:

I opted to pick the dog up. He had been neglected in a cage for about 8 hours.

The vet's office offered some dog food for me to take home. I know he is finicky with food, but when I asked if he had at least been drinking water, I was told no. They didn't even GIVE him water.

I wasn't sure who I could report this negligence to. someone suggested the ASPCA, maybe the NJ Vet Association. I don't think this is a big enough story for Shame On You, but I would like to shed a light on the ineptitude of this vet's staff, who we trust with the care of our loved pets.

i needed to vent here and make other pet owners aware of what happened to me. if you have any suggestions of where to report this, please let me know. thank you.

Yes I think Shame on You would love this story, espacially about a little dog.

Posted on: 2009/7/9 17:05

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/3/26 19:59
Group:
Registered Users
That really stinks. I just had my small dog's teeth done earlier this year and I paid about $300 for the cleaning. Of course, any extractions or extra work would be extra. I went to a place on the shore where we have all of our vet care - much cheaper and friendlier than in the city.

If I may point one thing out, it's not uncommon for dogs waiting for a teeth cleaning to wait a little while before they take their turn - if there are any emergencies that come in, the vet has to attend to them first. The vets usually like to admit all their surgical patients (including teeth cleanings) at the same time in the morning, before the office opens, and then have each wait their turn to avoid crowding and other craziness.

Thanks for the warning though, I won't be using that clinic!

Posted on: 2009/7/9 16:52

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/7/24 13:43
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

newtothearea wrote:
$583 for teeth cleaning? Is that normal?

Unfortunately, yes. If you own one of these small dog breeds that seem to accumulate lots of plaque, $500 - 1500 is not unheard of for comprehensive dental work. I have two Maltese so you can just imagine my expense.

JoS, the reason why they didn't offer water to your dog is that it's procedure to withhold water and food for at least 6 hours before anesthesia is administered. I believe the likelihood of asphyxiation from regurgitation is lessened with this practice. Clearly the vet staff was negligent in failing to realize earlier that they would not have been able to complete your dog's procedure that day. You should have been called and your pet should have been given water and food the moment this was apparent

I hope your doggy has recovered from the experience!

Posted on: 2009/7/9 16:44

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/1/22 15:44
Group:
Registered Users
$583 for teeth cleaning? Is that normal?

Posted on: 2009/7/9 15:58

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/3/30 16:31
From journal square
Group:
Registered Users
whoops, i forgot. the vet didnt offer the 50%. they offered 10%, and when i said that was ridiculous, i asked for the 50%. but because i was so frustrated, i wanted all my money back.

they also told me to speak with a manager the following week.

Posted on: 2009/7/9 15:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/1/15 16:41
Group:
Registered Users
This is just terrible. I am sorry the little fella. I know I will think twice about going there if that is their idea of customer service, but at least they offered an apology.

Posted on: 2009/7/9 15:51

Jersey City Animal Hospital neglected my dog for 8 hours
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/3/30 16:31
From journal square
Group:
Registered Users
I have an 11 year old bichon that has regularly visited the West Side Animal Hospital (aka Jersey City Animal Hospital) for check-ups. It was recently discovered that he has a heart murmur, but otherwise, the dog is happy and healthy.

On Friday July 3rd, the dog was brought in at 8am for a teeth cleaning. The staff suggested about $1500 worth of work, but they agreed to just do the teeth cleaning that was needed, at a price of $583. kind of a steep price, but that was what we agreed to. I was told to call at 4pm and arrange for pick up.

The vet was called at 4pm. I was put on hold for a few minutes. Someone picked up and explained that the office was under staffed and had many emergencies, and that the teeth cleaning had not been done. They were reluctant to start the work at 4pm, since the anasthesia would make the dog drowsy for a couple of hours after the procedure. I opted to pick the dog up. He had been neglected in a cage for about 8 hours.

The vet's office offered some dog food for me to take home. I know he is finicky with food, but when I asked if he had at least been drinking water, I was told no. They didn't even GIVE him water.

I was furious when I picked him up. The first thing the vet offered as an apology was a 10% discount towards the next visit for his teeth cleaning!!! how obnoxious! then they offered 50% off. i demanded all my money back, which i got. They wanted me to reschedule the dog's appointment, but I told them I'd be taking my business elsewhere from now on.

I wasn't sure who I could report this negligence to. someone suggested the ASPCA, maybe the NJ Vet Association. I don't think this is a big enough story for Shame On You, but I would like to shed a light on the ineptitude of this vet's staff, who we trust with the care of our loved pets.

i needed to vent here and make other pet owners aware of what happened to me. if you have any suggestions of where to report this, please let me know.

thank you.

Posted on: 2009/7/9 15:46

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017