Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
103 user(s) are online (88 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 103

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Michael Anthony\'s at Newport Marina
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/12/3 0:37
From Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

PHResident wrote:
So I asked the bartender what types of white wine they served by the glass and they had two; Chardonnay and Pinot Grigio. So I said, "No Reisling" and he instructed me I could get a bottle of it. I realize he didn't mention Reisling when I first asked, but I thought I would at least try. Plus, asking for something different gives them the message that they need to expand what they serve by the glass. Since they didn't have the wine I wanted by the glass, I ordered a different drink (which was heavier on the pour than I like, but that's another story altogether as I find this is often the case with many bartenders).

You have greater restraint than I do. Failing to have a cocktails list - they've been open for 7 full days, no excuses! - and then trying to pawn off peasant wines on their clientele? Such neglect would have put me over the edge - I'd have probably thrown my table through the front window.

Look, the thugs who run high-end restaurants don't pay attention to polite suggestions or reviews, the only way to get their attention is through periodic violence - i.e., grass roots uprisings by concerned yuppies who draw the line at bad food in their neighborhoods. Next time, RISE UP for the Reisling rather than accept a chardonnay - while your subdued expression of chagrine and subtle suggestion to expand their wine list probably left your waiter devastated with regret, who's to know if the waiter shared this devastation with his manager?

Posted on: 2009/7/20 17:08

Re: Michael Anthony\'s at Newport Marina
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/5/12 21:59
From Harsuimus Cove
Group:
Registered Users
So my partner and I went decided to check out this place for a light dinner last night. We went there at about 8 pm and sat at the bar outside. It was an absolutely beautiful night and the view was spectacular. The front open air portion of this place is really quite a selling point.

The first thing my partner asked as we sat down was, "Do you have a cocktail list?" The bartender responded that they had only been open 7 days and were still working things out. Hmmmmm, excuses from the get go?

So I asked the bartender what types of white wine they served by the glass and they had two; Chardonnay and Pinot Grigio. So I said, "No Reisling" and he instructed me I could get a bottle of it. I realize he didn't mention Reisling when I first asked, but I thought I would at least try. Plus, asking for something different gives them the message that they need to expand what they serve by the glass. Since they didn't have the wine I wanted by the glass, I ordered a different drink (which was heavier on the pour than I like, but that's another story altogether as I find this is often the case with many bartenders).

So we look at the menu and decide on an appetizer and a pasta to share. For the appetizer, we ordered three cheeses (Aged Ricotta, Taleggio and Gruyere - $7). It was delivered to us without any bread, crackers or crustini. Now I will admit that the menu didn't promise this, but every restaurant I've ordered a cheese plate from comes with a small bit of some type of bread. And on top of it, the only cheese that I really enjoyed was the Gruyere. I will, however, say that I don't completely blame them for this. I realize that I very likely got served exactly what I ordered, and I simply didn't care for it that much.

At just about the time we were finishing our cheese plate, the bartender sat down a "basket" of bread in front of us. Great timing. The bread came with canned plum tomatos that had been dumped on a small plate. Really?

By this time we had ordered our second round of drinks. My partner switched from a cocktail from his first round and got a glass of the Pinot Grigio. I will admit that Pinot Grigio is not always my favorite wine in the world, but when I took a sip of it, I really disliked it. I thought it had almost a vinegary aftertaste. He didn't mind it so much, but I thought it was crap wine.

So there we sat, and sat and sat. Remember, we had ordered a pasta dish as well (Gnocchi Bava (Home Made) - Four Cheese Fondue - $11). After a while, we both commented that it seemed like we probably weren't going to get our order. Pretty soon, two of the bartenders and a person I assume was a manager started to have a whispering conversation about orders that had come out and the bartender that served us pointed at us. When that conversation ended, he came over to apologize and said our order had been taken to the wrong place. We had been there at least an hour by this time and really no longer wanted the pasta; so we told him to simply cancel the order.

By this time he was very apologetic and told us because of our inconvenience, our last round of drinks were on the house.

Okay, they are new and getting their crap together, I can empathize and live with a free drink. At this point, however, he takes away the glass I had sitting in front of me, which was down to the bottom, but which I was still nursing, and in a few minutes comes back with another drink. Now here's the thing, I had no intention of ordering another drink; nor did my partner. When he was about finished with his glass of wine, the bartender asked if he wanted another and he said no. The bartender asked again reminding him that it is on the house. My partner said no.

So we get the bill and although we didn't have to pay for the pasta we never got, we paid for 4 drinks. Evidently the free drinks were only if we took another one. Since I accepted the third drink without portest, I can't complain. My partner, however, just got screwed. And honestly, I left almost the entire third drink on the bar as I really didn't want it anyway.

I realize newly open restaurants have issues they need to get ironed out. I also realize that the owners are trying to maximize their profits. But, forcing us to have another drink and pretending like they were giving us something in return for their screw ups was disingenuous. That one shot of vanilla vodka and ginger ale that they served me in a double old fashioned costs them nearly nothing, yet they made sure they charged us for our full two rounds marked up at what I'm sure is 100% or more.

I can't think this is a really good way to build customer loyalty. I admit, I will probably go back at some point, but not likely anytime in the near future (unless it's just for drinks). We will go back because of that beautiful view, but that's only going to get them so far.

I wish them luck, but I think they are going to have to make some changes quickly, or luck isn't going to be enough I fear.

Posted on: 2009/7/20 12:55

Re: Michael Anthony's at Newport Marina

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/7/30 1:55
Group:
Registered Users
I think this place is beautiful and will be a great asset to Jersey City. The food is really good but I think they need a bar menu for the boating people coming off the hudson sliders are a big thing now or specialty pizza's goat cheese toppings yummy is there a place that does brick oven pies near by the marina? I was there with a few friends I think the owner came up to check on us? Did not see much management around to seat people etc and they seemed a little disorganized but it's new. Lots of casual people sitting at bar hoping it will get a little more trendy and upscale the staff were dressed in great uniforms but the customers/ owners people running the place dressed real casual? Hope it get's better for nights out with the girls.. Some where to go dressed up for a night out to eat drink and dance. The view is beautiful who needs New York City ...we can see it!!! Worth checking this place out .... will go back again.

Posted on: 2009/7/16 21:05

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/4/24 16:13
Group:
Registered Users
The website is a riot. So they serve "parmigiana" and "arugola" with "capers"? Can they stupid that up a bit more?

Posted on: 2009/7/12 22:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/2/17 14:13
Group:
Banned
Our food experience was so-so but the view and location made up for it. I do sincerely hope they understand the value of good food and how beneficial it would be to has more light appetizers and tapas on the menu. They'll get a higher turnover and more people coming from the seawall during their walk or bike ride for a drink and a tapas.

Posted on: 2009/7/12 12:40

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/1/23 11:08
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
I think anyone would be hard-pressed to criticize the location of this place. It's quite nice. The bar service was quick and courteous and the outdoor location was really cool even with the weather not being that great last night.

With that being said, I would agree with 07302's experience. I ate there last night and it wasn't very good at all. In fact, it was downright disappointing and yes, I realize it's still finding its legs after less than a week of being open for business.

We ordered a Tuscan plate appetizer for two, which after 40 minutes of waiting, never arrived. Instead, our two entrees came out, both of which were only lukewarm. They were both beef dishes and both tasted like they were just recently thawed. We asked the waitress for two steak knives and she immediately rushed away to get them, never to actually return. When we brought these things to her attention, she was only mildly apologetic.

I can't help but compare this experience to another recently opened establishment right across Washington Blvd. from Michael Anthony's...Fire & Oak. Barely open three months and we've eaten there three times already and we ate there not long after they initially opened. The folks who run this place REALLY KNOW how to run a restaurant. They didn't miss a beat during our initial visit and haven't missed a beat at any subsequent visit. In addition to the service being spot-on, the food has been absolutely delicious and impressive. The management seemed to circulate in a subtle way around the restaurant making sure patrons were satisfied.

There was none of that at Michael Anthony.

First time/last time.

Quote:

o73o2 wrote:
had lunch there today - friday. the location is amazing; the view is one of the better ones on this side of the river.

the place is definitely in the soft opening mode. the menu has two parts, a part that is fusion-tapas and a part that is traditional italian. my food sucked - the chef must have dropped a few pounds of salt in my pasta. the service was ok. i do hope that my experience is either the exception or just typical rough edges that will disappear with time, because south city grill is getting boring and the food there is increasingly uneven.

so on a scale 1 - 5, where 1 is "the place from hell" and 5 is "the most amazing food ever", this is a 3.

Posted on: 2009/7/12 11:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/12/25 1:59
From here to eternity
Group:
Registered Users
had lunch there today - friday. the location is amazing; the view is one of the better ones on this side of the river.

the place is definitely in the soft opening mode. the menu has two parts, a part that is fusion-tapas and a part that is traditional italian. my food sucked - the chef must have dropped a few pounds of salt in my pasta. the service was ok. i do hope that my experience is either the exception or just typical rough edges that will disappear with time, because south city grill is getting boring and the food there is increasingly uneven.

so on a scale 1 - 5, where 1 is "the place from hell" and 5 is "the most amazing food ever", this is a 3.

Posted on: 2009/7/10 20:28

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/5/6 2:06
Group:
Registered Users
How are the drink prices, and do they have any happy hour specials?

Posted on: 2009/7/10 19:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

parkman wrote:
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
Place sounds cool. Parkman, did you ever find out about the boat slips? I'm planning on stopping there for lunch with the boat tomorrow. Should I call in advance you think?
The fee is $25 for dockage and it would be a good idea to let them know you?re coming?ask for Iris. I?m the first boat on the north dock, north side of the walkway (plants at the stern, of course). Come say hi if the canvas is off.

If I see you there, I'll say hello! We're aiming to swing by around 1 for some lunch.

Posted on: 2009/7/10 15:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/12/12 21:42
From on van vorst park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
Place sounds cool. Parkman, did you ever find out about the boat slips? I'm planning on stopping there for lunch with the boat tomorrow. Should I call in advance you think?
The fee is $25 for dockage and it would be a good idea to let them know you?re coming?ask for Iris. I?m the first boat on the north dock, north side of the walkway (plants at the stern, of course). Come say hi if the canvas is off.

Posted on: 2009/7/10 14:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/8/9 20:03
Group:
Registered Users
Went there for dinner Wednesday night. The food was okay, but what made it really nice is the place and what they did to take advantage of the location.

The outdoor bar is great, and there are tables outside in the bar area for eating. They have a lot of small plates to choose from on the menu which look good. I think it's the nicest location in JC. Not only do you get the NYC view, but it's right on that pretty marina.

It's also a nice mixed crowd of after work people, coupless, boaters, etc.

I'll definitely be going back, especially to hang out at the bar.

Posted on: 2009/7/10 14:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2009/7/10 14:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/29 17:59
Group:
Registered Users
I went there last night.... They did a great job on the renovations..The outdoor bar was wonderful with the palm trees swaying in the mild warm breeze... the bar is shaped like a sailboat, service was attentive... basically drank beer and someone ordered two cheese platters that were very good... we were looking at the dinners and apps... they looked and smelled great as they were served... place has huge tv screens... for football fans in the fall; it will be a great place to watch games on a nice Sunday afternoon, but it will not be a typical sports bar... We are definitely going back for dinner real soon.

Posted on: 2009/7/10 12:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From on van vorst park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
Quote:

parkman wrote:
They are in ?soft opening? mode. The full menu is available and is an interesting one?lots of small plates that can be combined at different price points. I like the bar set up, which is shaped like a ship?bow section is inside the restaurant, stern juts out onto the patio.

The renovation has much improved the space. They gutted the old restaurant, added longer windows for a better view of the marina and the Hudson River; the outdoor space is very inviting with multiple TV screens and comfortable seating. The inside space is huge and not set with their permanent furniture, except for the side banquets. They also have a very large catering hall in the rear of the space with its own kitchen.

As with most new places, they are having time-delays with the food but you can see them trying to work out the kinks. What we have tried there has been good and some of it excellent.

After having to put up with mediocre food and service for so many years at the marina, it great to see this new addition?I just hope they keep the music level reasonable so we can enjoy some quiet time at the slip (though I don?t expect much sympathy from this group, if that doesn?t happen).

It?s worth the visit, if only for the gorgeous view.

Ps. there is parking on the pier and they are serving Sunday brunch.

Thanks for the info parkman. Question, can I pull up to Michael Anthony's and dock there in my boat without any issues? Would I be charged?

PS, sorry for the phone tag, I have been crazy busy with the new boat...I will be reaching out to you soon! :)
The marine has set aside a number of slips for ?dock and dine? and I think they are charging $20-$25? the dock-master is off today but I can find out for you tomorrow.

Posted on: 2009/7/7 21:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

parkman wrote:
They are in ?soft opening? mode. The full menu is available and is an interesting one?lots of small plates that can be combined at different price points. I like the bar set up, which is shaped like a ship?bow section is inside the restaurant, stern juts out onto the patio.

The renovation has much improved the space. They gutted the old restaurant, added longer windows for a better view of the marina and the Hudson River; the outdoor space is very inviting with multiple TV screens and comfortable seating. The inside space is huge and not set with their permanent furniture, except for the side banquets. They also have a very large catering hall in the rear of the space with its own kitchen.

As with most new places, they are having time-delays with the food but you can see them trying to work out the kinks. What we have tried there has been good and some of it excellent.

After having to put up with mediocre food and service for so many years at the marina, it great to see this new addition?I just hope they keep the music level reasonable so we can enjoy some quiet time at the slip (though I don?t expect much sympathy from this group, if that doesn?t happen).

Thanks for the info parkman. Question, can I pull up to Michael Anthony's and dock there in my boat without any issues? Would I be charged?

PS, sorry for the phone tag, I have been crazy busy with the new boat...I will be reaching out to you soon! :)

Posted on: 2009/7/7 21:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From on van vorst park
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2009/7/7 21:37

Michael Anthony's at Newport Marina - OUT OF BUSINESS
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/23 12:49
Group:
Registered Users
Is this place open now? I know they had their 4th of July party - but is it open for dinner?

If so, anyone tried it yet?

Looking for some reviews as I work in the area and need to know how the food/service is ... might take clients there.

Thanks.

Posted on: 2009/7/7 20:40

Edited by Webmaster on 2013/12/8 7:26:47

« 1 (2)

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact