Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
108 user(s) are online (90 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 108

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Re: New Mexican Food Cart Downtown
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/24 20:41
Group:
Banned
yep jangie that's the one. and i must confess i was speaking in hyperbole. the food there is good, but it's more of an experience than anything else.

i dont think the white sauce is ranch.. not sure what it is, but not ranch. i remember they used to go overboard when you asked for the white sauce, which i didnt like. nowadays they give you the white sauce separately, which is a plus.

hmm i think i know what ill be eating the next 2 days lol (taco cart tonight, chicken and rice tmw)

Posted on: 2009/7/10 15:55

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/10/10 16:29
Group:
Registered Users
http://nymag.com/listings/restaurant/halal-chicken-and-gyro/

it is indeed godly. i need to figure out a decent recipe for this... gf used to live in midtown so i got my fix regularly, but now it's a bit too far.

i believe the white sauce is ranch... call me crazy.

Posted on: 2009/7/10 15:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Talking about Rafiqui's?

Posted on: 2009/7/10 15:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
Quote:

regulator wrote:
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
Quote:

JCGirl09 wrote:
IMO, $6.00 for 3 veggie tacos is a great deal. I stopped by the Cart last night on my way home, and thought, for street food, that the tacos were really good. I definitely plan on going back.

Eh...but not for a street cart. I did the 3 tacos last week. They were absolutely delicious. However, they did not fill me up, really at all. It felt like I had an appetizer.

I regularly go to a middle eastern food cart in Manhattan (once or twice a week). I get a big platter of fresh chicken over yellow rice, smothered in white sauce and homemade hot sauce, salad, and fixins such as olives, onions, peppers, etc. It costs $4.75, it is delicious, and it completely fills me. And it is in manhattan, where a food truck license is undoubtedly more pricey than in JC.

are you talking about the food cart on 53rd and 6th ave? if so, you're comparing mortals to a god... not exactly a fair fight.

No, that's not the one. There are 5,000 food carts in NYC.

but only one worth the trip to nyc and back

Quote:

Plus, you said you haven't tried the Mexican Food Cart yet...how are you calling it "a God"? Ha...

i meant the food cart in nyc, not the mexican one.

Posted on: 2009/7/10 15:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

regulator wrote:
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
Quote:

JCGirl09 wrote:
IMO, $6.00 for 3 veggie tacos is a great deal. I stopped by the Cart last night on my way home, and thought, for street food, that the tacos were really good. I definitely plan on going back.

Eh...but not for a street cart. I did the 3 tacos last week. They were absolutely delicious. However, they did not fill me up, really at all. It felt like I had an appetizer.

I regularly go to a middle eastern food cart in Manhattan (once or twice a week). I get a big platter of fresh chicken over yellow rice, smothered in white sauce and homemade hot sauce, salad, and fixins such as olives, onions, peppers, etc. It costs $4.75, it is delicious, and it completely fills me. And it is in manhattan, where a food truck license is undoubtedly more pricey than in JC.

are you talking about the food cart on 53rd and 6th ave? if so, you're comparing mortals to a god... not exactly a fair fight.

No, that's not the one. There are 5,000 food carts in NYC. Plus, you said you haven't tried the Mexican Food Cart yet...how are you calling it "a God"? Ha...

Posted on: 2009/7/10 15:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
Quote:

JCGirl09 wrote:

Posted on: 2009/7/10 14:18

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/8/23 1:54
Group:
Registered Users
True, a penny saved is a penny earned. I guess I don't see what the big deal is, though between $5.00 and $6.00.

I suppose I am not a big eater, as three tacos are more than enough for me to be full.

Posted on: 2009/7/10 14:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCGirl09 wrote:

I am not a cheapo, so I will return to the Mexican Food cart for sure. I am willing to pay for quality and originality, both of which Alex's cart provides. However, the prices WILL turn others off, who are pinching pennies in this economy. The 3 tacos just did not fill me up. Street carts in NYC fill me up for $4.75. Like, REALLY fill me up. And the quality is also very good (at the cart I go to).

Alex, if you are reading this, know that your food is delicious, but for a street cart, the prices are a tad high. The key words are "for a street cart". We all know that the quality of your food is as good or better than one would get in a brick-and-mortar storefront, but the lack of significant overhead should bring the price point down a bit. Don't forget we are also in a recession. If your sandwiches were $5, I'm sure you'd have people eat at your cart 2 and 3 times per week, as opposed to once per week. In that scenario, everyone wins!

Posted on: 2009/7/10 13:55

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I believe he is in front of the Grove St. PATH between 5:00 and 12:00....

Posted on: 2009/7/10 13:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
i need to go here tonight based on jclist logic.

taqueria = god. translation: overhyped and mediocre.
taco truck: mixed reviews. translation: probably really really good.

Posted on: 2009/7/10 13:29

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2009/7/10 13:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/10/2 20:19
Group:
Registered Users
The food's good, but too pricey. And they didn't cut that high price when making my dish vegetarian. That's the obvious thing to do, and it was obvious I was expecting it. I really shouldn't have to spoon-feed this sort of idea. I was waiting for the offer.

I wanted to try their stuff, so I went along with it. And yes, it was tastier than the Chex-Mex all over town. Goodbye, Taco Express... we hardly knew ye.

If the vegetarian option included additional veggies or a bonus like avocado, the price would be appropriate. If I'm paying for beef/ chicken I'm not consuming, then I'm not really getting what I've paid for.

Mine didn't seem to include anything extra, but how would I know? That's why the price is the key indicator of the difference. When they drop the price for the vegetarian option, I'll be back. Not until then.

In the meantime, good luck Alex. The food's quality is only surpassed by the gracious, welcoming attitude of the host.

Posted on: 2009/7/10 10:05

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/4/8 0:29
Group:
Registered Users
Yes, they were/are there. I finally got the sandwich I was craving. Yum! Today, they were in the plaza - across from McDonalds.

Posted on: 2009/7/10 1:44

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/23 12:49
Group:
Registered Users
Was the cart there tonight? I've been trying to spot this cart for a couple weeks now .... I know people have been good about posting location and hours on this thread, but I'm still not finding this cart. Was it in the Grove St Path station area tonight? I strolled through the Farmers' Market, but didn't see the cart parked on the nearby corners ....

Posted on: 2009/7/10 0:13

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I just wanted a sandwich.

Posted on: 2009/7/8 23:58

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I thought this cart was going to be outside the Grove St PATH Tues - Sun. I went looking to buy a sandwich earlier and they weren't there.

Posted on: 2009/7/8 23:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/28 12:09
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
I had the guys put my sandwich (the Original) on a tortilla instead of the hard, crusty bread, because I can't really bite into hard, crusty bread with a crown on my tooth. I wish they had softer bread.

Anyway, it was really delicious, but I wasn't full afterwards at all.

As gourmet as the sandwiches are, I think $7 is too much to charge. It is after all, a sandwich, and not having a storefront minimizes overhead SIGNIFICANTLY. In Manhattan I can get a full platter of middle eastern food for $4 from a cart, and it is super filling. $7, at a cart, in Jersey City, for a sandwich (albeit delicious) is in my opinion, about $2 more than it should be. Does anyone agree?

No.

Posted on: 2009/7/5 14:14

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/1/14 0:27
Group:
Registered Users
The owner of the truck saved my friend's bike last night!
He saw somebody clip her lock, scared the guy off, and took her bike home to keep it safe. Left her a note with his card to let her know what happened!
He just earned some seriously good karma.

Posted on: 2009/7/3 16:34

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/9/2 19:15
From Grove st. Path Station jersey city
Group:
Banned
EL IMPERIO

SPECIALS for the week $ 6
VEGGIE?TOSTADAS 2 x order
Vegetables : Madley of squash zuccini, corn and carrots with sauteed garlic and onion

COMBO?SOFT TACOS 3 x order $6
? PORK (carnitas)
? BRISCKET
? OVEN ROASTED CHICKEN
? AZTEC STEAK
? VEGGIES

THANK YOU ......... SEE U SOON

Posted on: 2009/7/1 17:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

o_hai_im_greg wrote:

If you had actually paid any attention to my last message, I stated that they were friendly when my fiancee was with me, but took an unexpected tone when she was walking by herself past the cart.

the only logical conclusion is that she was not hollered at and she's lying to you. you should rethink the marriage - it only gets worse from here.

Posted on: 2009/6/25 14:44

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/10/15 22:03
Group:
Registered Users
The guys working this cart are great-I don't know if this "holla" incident is true or not and I won't make any excuses for them if it did. I do know that you get a real, authentic, Mexican street food experience and some of the best food to be had in Jersey City. I am not exaggerating. Alex and Aaron are family men, are totally real, cool individuals and eating here is 10 times better than any crappy fast food joint. Part of Latin culture, in my opinion, is to be laid back and casually joke around. I'm not going to condemn them for not acting like some chain restaurant automaton. If they did "holla" at someone as they were walking by and that person heard them and was offended I am sure they regret that. This cart is a real gem and it deserves our business. Otherwise, they might just pack up and leave for somewhere else, and that would be a shame. JC should embrace these guys.

Posted on: 2009/6/25 13:53

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/5/15 19:34
Group:
Registered Users
My sincere apologies o' holy, long time member of this messageboard. I didn't realize that ones opinions and criticisms of a local establishment are only truthful if you have been posting on this board for as long as you have. Get over yourself. I brought to light a situation that took place and still said that I would try their food. If you had actually paid any attention to my last message, I stated that they were friendly when my fiancee was with me, but took an unexpected tone when she was walking by herself past the cart.

Posted on: 2009/6/25 13:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/6/20 2:33
Group:
Registered Users
Hmmm.
2 newbies show up to trash the guys that everyone else has been raving about.
You know what?
I don't believe them.
I say they're lying. But why? I don't know.

Posted on: 2009/6/24 22:14

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/7/16 14:24
Group:
Registered Users
The average crappy Subway sub is $5 so getting an authentic regional torta with good ingredients for $7 doesn't seem that much of a stretch to me.

I've been there at least three or four times since they've opened and the two guys that own the cart have been respectful and professional to me. I can see some of their clientele getting a little rowdy though - the last time I was there it seemed like 7 drunken guys were eating and hanging out - if my husband hadn't been with me - I wouldn't have stopped by for a sandwich.

Posted on: 2009/6/24 20:04

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Considering I'd expect to pay about $7 for a similar sandwich from a storefront, $7 from a cart does seem high. I agree with that point. But I also think what they offer is a lot better than what other carts offer. I really enjoy their sandwiches, and will continue to pay $7 for them regardless if they come from a cart or from behind a counter.

Posted on: 2009/6/24 19:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
I had the guys put my sandwich (the Original) on a tortilla instead of the hard, crusty bread, because I can't really bite into hard, crusty bread with a crown on my tooth. I wish they had softer bread.

Anyway, it was really delicious, but I wasn't full afterwards at all.

As gourmet as the sandwiches are, I think $7 is too much to charge. It is after all, a sandwich, and not having a storefront minimizes overhead SIGNIFICANTLY. In Manhattan I can get a full platter of middle eastern food for $4 from a cart, and it is super filling. $7, at a cart, in Jersey City, for a sandwich (albeit delicious) is in my opinion, about $2 more than it should be. Does anyone agree?

Posted on: 2009/6/24 19:32

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/6/24 19:14
Group:
Registered Users
ok who's great idea was it to add mushy beans that look like baby food??? completely ruined something that could have been great. best part of the whole sandwich was the bread which they don't even make. does anyone know where they get this? also totally believe the hollering thing which is sleezy & gross. grow up

Posted on: 2009/6/24 19:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/7/7 21:36
Group:
Registered Users
Looks like this might be a teachable moment re: business decorum if it indeed happened and owner reads this thread regularly.

Posted on: 2009/6/24 18:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Tino wrote:
their hot sauce was so good, I would bring my Mom there and let them holler at her too. delicious

LMAO. signature worthy

Posted on: 2009/6/24 18:31

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/10 23:12
From Henderson Yards
Group:
Registered Users
their hot sauce was so good, I would bring my Mom there and let them holler at her too. delicious

Posted on: 2009/6/24 17:48

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017