Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
117 user(s) are online (96 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 117

more...

Browsing this Thread:   2 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 11 12 13 (14) 15 16 17 ... 20 »

Re: The Beacon
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/4 19:36
From McGinley Square / Lincoln Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

1stStGuy wrote:
Quote:

billc wrote:
Montgomery Gardens is coming down, but it won't be replaced by more "projects", what it will be replaced with is mixed income housing and new retail.

They will be replaced with more LOW-INCOME housing, not mixed income. Sure, the income levels will be mixed, but they will all meet the standards of low-income. The only thing they are changing is they style of the building they are being housed in. Some, if not most, of the tenants of MG are already offered leases in the new building.
I seriously doubt any type of retail will be involved.

But let's play Devil's advocate and say it WILL be "mixed income". You have a group of low income people living next to a group of higher income people who weren't told by the realtors (surprise) that the building was designated as it was. Who is going to leave first? And when that group leaves, what type will replace it?

You ignorance really shines through. It will be mixed-income, and will probably include street-level retail, as they're using Hope VI funding. See:

http://www.hud.gov/offices/pih/programs/ph/hope6/about/

Drive by the corner of Duncan Ave and Truck Route 1&9 to see one of these projects in progress. It's a huge improvement over the old brick high-rise projects.

Posted on: 2009/6/25 16:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/8/21 18:57
From NJ
Group:
Registered Users
You didn't answer my question as to how you knew the people you saw walking around were questionable. Were they wearing plastic bags? Flipping you off? What? But now I don't care. I only go on about it because you keep coming up with stuff I disagree with. You can't deny that the area already has improved with the renovation, and continuing renovation of our buildings and soon to be open school and retail plaza.

Posted on: 2009/6/25 16:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/8/18 23:27
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
I understand Mr. Wolf and Marybarr hyping up the Beacon. As I said, they have vested interests. But to really go on and on, post after post about how everything is roses surrounding the Beacon is just insane.

Wibbit, you are right. The Beacon is a sealed-off castle complex. They are only missing the moat.

As for what/who I saw? I saw people that I would not like to live next to. You want me to say minorities, don't you? Well, I saw them. But I saw the bad minorities, they type that you wouldn't trust, as well as the white person who I wouldn't want to live near. Go ahead, call me judgemental. I'm not the only one who thinks that way, just one of the few who isn't afraid to express it. Is downtown great? No. Is it loads better than the Beacon area? Yes.

It's like the emporer's new clothes. The Beacon residents pretend they aren't naked.

Posted on: 2009/6/25 16:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/24 20:41
Group:
Banned
Quote:

marybarr wrote:
Where are you getting your info? I also invite anyone who wants to stop by The Beacon to e-mail me at speakaboutit@yahoo.com. I love giving tours. As to the neighborhood-- I lived in the Queensbridge projects in Queens, NY and mostly only people who were looking for trouble got it. Most folk don't mess where they eat, and ones that do are quickly weeded out.

shout to nas!

Posted on: 2009/6/25 16:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/8/21 18:57
From NJ
Group:
Registered Users
Where are you getting your info? I also invite anyone who wants to stop by The Beacon to e-mail me at speakaboutit@yahoo.com. I love giving tours. As to the neighborhood-- I lived in the Queensbridge projects in Queens, NY and mostly only people who were looking for trouble got it. Most folk don't mess where they eat, and ones that do are quickly weeded out. Also--I am curious as to how you knew the people you saw walking around were questionable. Were they wearing plastic bags? Flipping you off? What?

And Wibbit the area already HAS improved with the renovation of our buildings and the next phase of 3,000-6,000 square foot lofts are underway. We have added to the local economy. The local stores and restaurants have also started to improve i.e. a bigger stock of blu-rays in the video store and select wines in the liquor store. They are even taking suggestions in presentation and decor to draw more customers.

Posted on: 2009/6/25 16:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/26 3:33
Group:
Banned
It's not just 1 building montgmery garden, it's the whole area. To improve the area, you need massive development with new buildings coming in across the neighborhood. This is not happening, the only development is the beacon, no other developer is coming in. And the beacon is a more sealed off castle than anything.

JSQ path is the place that have a chance, you got the canco and old st johns already in place, new rentals across the street, and a highrise tower getting build right next to the path, not to mention the PATH itself is here....

Let those guys live in their fantasy castle hoping the area will improve, they been saying the same while prices kept on falling.

Posted on: 2009/6/25 16:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

billc wrote:
Montgomery Gardens is coming down, but it won\'t be replaced by more \"projects\", what it will be replaced with is mixed income housing and new retail.

They will be replaced with more LOW-INCOME housing, not mixed income. Sure, the income levels will be mixed, but they will all meet the standards of low-income. The only thing they are changing is they style of the building they are being housed in. Some, if not most, of the tenants of MG are already offered leases in the new building.
I seriously doubt any type of retail will be involved.

But let's play Devil's advocate and say it WILL be "mixed income". You have a group of low income people living next to a group of higher income people who weren't told by the realtors (surprise) that the building was designated as it was. Who is going to leave first? And when that group leaves, what type will replace it?

Posted on: 2009/6/25 15:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Xerxes wrote:
You certainly cannot ignore the couple thousand people "next door" by hoping they will go away...it ain't gonna happen.
They will not be pushed to East Orange becausee some developer wants to make the neighborhood worthy of his building, nor SHOULD they be.

A building will not make a neighborhood better but rather a neighborhood will make a BUILDING better...that's the way it works.

I'm very curious about the auction prices this weekend but I don't think I could be happy in McGinley Square, I know it too well and the idea of having to use, AND PAY FOR, a jitney so that I could avoid the neigborhood isn't appealing. Sounds too much like living in the GREEN ZONE in Baghdad.

My guess is that the prices on the 1 bedroom will not exceed $150,000 but I dont know if the developer will then open the 2 bedroom apartments to auction. If he's willing to sell for around $250-300K then he will. But who knows, maybe some Arab prince or Indian maharajah is looking for a place to park some of his small change?

Like I said, I'm curious.

Beware of those with small change, they come with small minded others.

Posted on: 2009/6/25 14:21

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/9/9 20:58
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
No Xerxes, that\'s not the way it works. Areas get better because people (usually new to the area) put time and money into improving an area. The way they do that is by improving and replacing buildings with newer buildings and rehabbed properties. The Beacon is 14 acres and 10 buildings covering an entire large block. What many of you negative types don\'t grasp is the size of this rehab. New owners of older homes fix them up, maintain them better than the old owners, and get rid of the ridiculous aluminum siding covering Victorian wood work, replacing trim work and restoring it where it has been removed. New businesses come in to provide for the new comers. Unfortunately, if the population doesn\'t change, nothing else changes either. However, as they say, a rising sea raises all boats, so those of an area\'s former population who stay, also benefit from the improvements. Montgomery Gardens is coming down, but it won\'t be replaced by more \"projects\", what it will be replaced with is mixed income housing and new retail. Hope VI is a federal program designed to break up high concentrations of poverty and replace them with viable areas that have access to retail stores, transportation, and jobs and consist of people that have people that go to work every day as well as those who qualify for public assistance. Unlike you, we know that most poor people are law abiding citizens that just want to live their lives and be left alone. We live in an urban area, we are not stupid, but we also do not fear our neighbors.

Posted on: 2009/6/25 14:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/4/30 16:20
Group:
Banned
You certainly cannot ignore the couple thousand people "next door" by hoping they will go away...it ain't gonna happen.
They will not be pushed to East Orange becausee some developer wants to make the neighborhood worthy of his building, nor SHOULD they be.

A building will not make a neighborhood better but rather a neighborhood will make a BUILDING better...that's the way it works.

I'm very curious about the auction prices this weekend but I don't think I could be happy in McGinley Square, I know it too well and the idea of having to use, AND PAY FOR, a jitney so that I could avoid the neigborhood isn't appealing. Sounds too much like living in the GREEN ZONE in Baghdad.

My guess is that the prices on the 1 bedroom will not exceed $150,000 but I dont know if the developer will then open the 2 bedroom apartments to auction. If he's willing to sell for around $250-300K then he will. But who knows, maybe some Arab prince or Indian maharajah is looking for a place to park some of his small change?

Like I said, I'm curious.

Posted on: 2009/6/25 13:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCSHEP wrote:
[Hey 1rstStGuy, I thought you had been here before, I didn?t know you just drove by. Anytime you want to come up and see the place your more than welcome, send me a PM here or via flickr below. We can have a drink or two and I can show you the complex.

Thanks for the offer Shep, but I have been inside the building/grounds. I have nothing but good things to say about the complex. As I said before, it is top notch, and was at the top of our list.

I will disagree with everyone who shreiks, "You only drove past the projects." I drove around much of the neighborhood. The projects of course stood out as they are directly next door. I don't agree with the fact that people highlight the fact that Montgomery Gardens will be demolished, then hide the fact that they will be replaced with more low-income housing, which takes about 5 years (at most) to become "Projects" level.

I will not, and have not, said anything derogatory about the Beacon complex itself, only the surrounding area. Will it come around and clean up? Likely? Will it be anytime in the near future? Unlikely.

Posted on: 2009/6/24 20:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/10/27 13:13
From The fog.
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Anti-Beacon wrote:
FYI: I lived at the Beacon for 1 year. During that time I had tons of problems, but the #1 issue I came here to post about today was damage to my brand new car. They will not let you self-park, and they caused over $2000 of damage + a stolen GPS. I filed multiple damage claims and every one was denied by their "loss prevention" department. If you care about your vehicle, do not live at The Beacon.

Can you provide details? Have you or your insurance company tried to sue them?

Posted on: 2009/6/24 14:35

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/6/24 10:46
Group:
Registered Users
FYI: I lived at the Beacon for 1 year. During that time I had tons of problems, but the #1 issue I came here to post about today was damage to my brand new car. They will not let you self-park, and they caused over $2000 of damage + a stolen GPS. I filed multiple damage claims and every one was denied by their "loss prevention" department. If you care about your vehicle, do not live at The Beacon.

Posted on: 2009/6/24 10:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/10/21 3:42
From Hilltop
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

1stStGuy wrote:
I don't remember saying anything about quivering in my boots. What I DID see:
A) of course, the projects. Yes, they will be torn down. Do you know what is replacing it? More project...err, low-income housing. Wow.
B) The area itself offers nothing. Zero, Zilch, Nada.
C) The "locals". Not the type that make up quality neighbors.

Hey 1rstStGuy, I thought you had been here before, I didn?t know you just drove by. Anytime you want to come up and see the place your more than welcome, send me a PM here or via flickr below. We can have a drink or two and I can show you the complex. Then we can walk up the block a bit and have another drink if you want. This way you can see the place and the neighborhood. After that I figure either you will see what we are talking about or you have more credibility since you have been here. People like different things and there is nothing wrong with that. I happen to love living here, and I think it looks so damn cool:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/53185007@N00/2886538833/

I shot this picture from a friend?s roof in the neighborhood, you should see the inside!!

For my first year or so i never ventured too far from Paulus Hook or Newport, then i started wondering around a bit checking out different areas. There are some really cool places in the other parts of JC besides this area.

Posted on: 2009/6/24 2:40

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/12/7 19:50
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

1stStGuy wrote:
Quote:

MrWolf wrote:
[So, we appreciate the niceties regarding the buildings and its amenities, but please continue to stay in your car while you drive around our neighborhood. We?re just not interested.

I don't remember caring whether or not you were interested. You can stay on top of your soapbox about the Beacon, as you have a vested interest, whereas I do not.

What you feel or remember is of no consequence. However, when you start making inane, corrossive comments about an area you don't understand, at that point, you get called out and exposed.

If that's me on a soabox, then call it what you'd like.

Posted on: 2009/6/24 2:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/24 20:41
Group:
Banned
5 mins from canco to the path? maybe if a pack of german shepherds were chasing me lol

Posted on: 2009/6/24 1:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

jsqfunk wrote:
so which condo conversion was a bigger bust, the Beacon or Canco?

why is canco a bust? the sale is slow but i think they are doing pretty well overall. And the price remained stable. 300-350k for a nice 1br loft 5-10 min walk from path in an ok area with added potential of jsq path getting revitalized in the next 5 years isnt the worst decision you can make...

1stStGuy, dont bother not worth it ;)

Posted on: 2009/6/24 1:19

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/11/7 2:57
Group:
Registered Users
so which condo conversion was a bigger bust, the Beacon or Canco?

Posted on: 2009/6/24 1:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Indomitus wrote:

Just as I thought. You drove by the projects. Wow. You don't like the locals because none of us could be "quality neighbors" and you refer to our neighborhood in rude terms. Yes, I think I wouldn't want a neighbor of your "quality" either. YOU are the best thing this area doesn't have to offer.

I didn't mean to insinuate ALL the neighbors were of lesser quality. The higher quality ones must have had jobs and been at work.

Posted on: 2009/6/23 23:41

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/11/8 21:22
Group:
Registered Users
quote]
1stStGuy wrote:
Quote:

Indomitus wrote:
Quote:

1stStGuy wrote:
The buildings are beautiful... the amenities are top notch...I'm sure the building residents are classy, good people. But the area.. my god, the area. It is a pure and utter sh!thole. There is NO way to sugar coat it. I looked at Condos at the Beacon, and across the street at M650, and would LOVE to live in a condo building like that, but not where they are currently located.

Like wibbit said, and I'm glad I had the foresight to listen, drive around the area at night. Don't walk, because you will have trouble. It is NOT a place you would want to live, amenities be damned.

Just out of curiosity, what exactly did you see happen while driving in the utter sh!thole that had you quivering in your boots? Please enlighten me, with specifics. Besides the fact that you drove past the projects.

A) of course, the projects. Yes, they will be torn down. Do you know what is replacing it? More project...err, low-income housing. Wow.
C) The "locals". Not the type that make up quality neighbors.[/quote]

Just as I thought. You drove by the projects. Wow. You don't like the locals because none of us could be "quality neighbors" and you refer to our neighborhood in rude terms. Yes, I think I wouldn't want a neighbor of your "quality" either. YOU are the best thing this area doesn't have to offer.

Posted on: 2009/6/23 20:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

MrWolf wrote:
[So, we appreciate the niceties regarding the buildings and its amenities, but please continue to stay in your car while you drive around our neighborhood. We?re just not interested.

I don't remember caring whether or not you were interested. You can stay on top of your soapbox about the Beacon, as you have a vested interest, whereas I do not.

Posted on: 2009/6/23 20:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Indomitus wrote:
Quote:

1stStGuy wrote:
The buildings are beautiful... the amenities are top notch...I'm sure the building residents are classy, good people. But the area.. my god, the area. It is a pure and utter sh!thole. There is NO way to sugar coat it. I looked at Condos at the Beacon, and across the street at M650, and would LOVE to live in a condo building like that, but not where they are currently located.

Like wibbit said, and I'm glad I had the foresight to listen, drive around the area at night. Don't walk, because you will have trouble. It is NOT a place you would want to live, amenities be damned.

Just out of curiosity, what exactly did you see happen while driving in the utter sh!thole that had you quivering in your boots? Please enlighten me, with specifics. Besides the fact that you drove past the projects.

C) The "locals". Not the type that make up quality neighbors.

Posted on: 2009/6/23 20:06

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/11/8 21:22
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

1stStGuy wrote:

Posted on: 2009/6/23 19:12

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Finally, you and I completely agree on something.

Posted on: 2009/6/23 18:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
edit: nevermind not worth it. can discuss with a delusional person

Posted on: 2009/6/23 18:34

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

1stStGuy wrote:

Ahhhh ? real original. Honestly, you can have your opinion, but it?s not really that relevant. Especially given the hundreds of new residents who have moved into the area that have joined the thousands already part of the neighborhood, the majority of which would strongly disagree with your ?assessment?.

So, we appreciate the niceties regarding the buildings and its amenities, but please continue to stay in your car while you drive around our neighborhood. We?re just not interested.

Posted on: 2009/6/23 17:31

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

wibbit wrote:
Quote:

MrWolf wrote:
I never equated my neighborhood to downtown...

Can that change tomorrow? Sure, as quickly as a person can be held at gun point in Paulus Hook. It's Jersey City, sh*t happens.

Resized Image

oh mrwolf, lets please not start again. The initial discussion ended when the condo was still trying to sell at 350k and you telling everyone how wrong i was for believing this is such a bad investment and also dissed my lack of urban planning expertise. Now those same units are on the auction block at 150k, why do you must continue this self-torture....

What's torturous is reading you make the same fallacy ridden, dishonest arguments - again and again. Look, the development is 80% sold and has FHA approval. I know you understand what that means from a bank underwriting perspective. In this market, unless you?re fully sold, that?s pretty much as good as it gets.

Let?s see what else, you post out loud queries about the high maintenance, but you conveniently fail to contemplate the pilot. You reference price dislocation currently experienced by The Beacon, but omit price reductions experienced by the rest of the JC condo market (i.e. Crystal Pointe down 30%). You suggest The Beacon has failed, but the development is already one of the more successful developments in Jersey City (i.e. media profile, historic preservation, next phase in process, etc.).

You?re right, let?s not do this again.

Posted on: 2009/6/23 17:11

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

moxiebaby wrote:
Did people have to buy their $20 auction package at the open house? Or will they also be sold as you enter the room at the Hyatt? I'm definitely going to the auction. No, I don't have a suitcase of $$ to bring with me, but I want to see what inventory is left over, b/c the leftovers will be even cheaper than the auction price. Or, possibly this will be the first of several auctions....

The way I understand it, auction bidders actually have to present the bid deposits as part of admission ($15K/$25K). You might want to check in with the Sheldon Good auctioneers on the specifics.

Posted on: 2009/6/23 17:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/11/6 23:12
Group:
Registered Users
Did people have to buy their $20 auction package at the open house? Or will they also be sold as you enter the room at the Hyatt? I'm definitely going to the auction. No, I don't have a suitcase of $$ to bring with me, but I want to see what inventory is left over, b/c the leftovers will be even cheaper than the auction price. Or, possibly this will be the first of several auctions....

Posted on: 2009/6/23 16:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/1/10 17:34
Group:
Registered Users
Their carts for the luggage are really fun to ride on in their super long hallways. Since the building is barely occupied no one ever complains about our tomfoolery. Except when wine glasses fall off the roof deck. That time, a friend who lives there got reprimanded.

Posted on: 2009/6/23 15:48

« 1 ... 11 12 13 (14) 15 16 17 ... 20 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017