Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
109 user(s) are online (98 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 109

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: Fulop proposes new NJ Turnpike extension to ease Holland Tunnel traffic now cutting through Downtown
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

The traffic jams going into the tunnel are caused by two things - the traffic lights and the toll plaza.

That and the fact that there are 6 lanes of traffic leading to 2 lanes of tunnel, not to mention a lane of cars coming from Marin or Jersey Avenue.

Perhaps a better solution is returning the tunnel to HOV-3+ during rush hour.

Posted on: 2010/2/6 0:57

Re: Fulop proposes new NJ Turnpike extension to ease Holland Tunnel traffic now cutting through Downtown
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/10/27 13:13
From The fog.
Group:
Registered Users
Well, they are both very hateable.

And the cops wouldn't harass every driver. Just the ones who break the law.

Posted on: 2010/2/5 21:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/7/18 18:17
Group:
Banned
Ugh. Ban this! Fine that! Higher tolls! Penalties! Exclusivities! Put cops on every corner to harass every driver!

You road fascists make me ill.

The traffic jams going into the tunnel are caused by two things - the traffic lights and the toll plaza.

Eliminate the traffic lights by burying 12th street. Then the cross streets can cross over it and we Jersey City folks can ride on "upper" 12th.

Eliminate the toll plaza altogether, and simply require EZPASS. Keep one lane for out-of-towners.

Done.

The problem is that our transportation is run by people who hate cars and the humans who drive them.

Posted on: 2010/2/5 21:44

Re: Traffic Downtown during rush hour?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/12/18 14:09
Group:
Registered Users
Just start ticketing every car that fails to come to a complete stop at stop signs downtown. People will stop using downtown as a shortcut really fast.

Posted on: 2010/2/5 17:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
Alkthough Fulop's intentions are admirable, building more roads will just create more traffic. If people really want to reduce traffic, then raise tolls more and increase mass transit into the city.

Posted on: 2010/2/5 3:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/2/18 15:54
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
The city is taxing us into the poor house.

How about they put a beat cop at each intersection just north of Columbus stationed at the stop signs. They could check for expired registration, seat belts, and of course cars running stop signs. Think about how much money they would make.

The people they would bust don't live here so why not? It's not like they are shopping here and spending money. They use downtown as a short cut to the tunnel.

I've lived in towns in Westchester Co NY and police would be at certain intersections day in and day out.

They would write dozens of tickets each and every day.

Posted on: 2010/2/5 0:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/21 19:48
Group:
Registered Users
Montgomery Street is loads of fun in the morning too.

Posted on: 2010/2/4 21:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
There are many threads on this topic. I had some guy wanting to fight the other day because I yelled at him for running a Stop sign. His reaction? "Don't worry about the Stop sign". Just about sums it up.

Posted on: 2010/2/3 21:37

Traffic Downtown during rush hour?
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/4/4 15:32
Group:
Registered Users
Traffic downtown is a problem during rush hour. Mostly commuters drive like they are driving either on a highway or in a gang infested neighborhood. I have almost been hit three times in the past few weeks by people running red lights or by not stopping when they are turning on red.

Intersections:
Grand & Marin Blvd
Montgomery & Washington
Columbus & Marin Blvd

Solutions Possibly: No Turn On Red at every intersection and Cameras on busy intersections like they have in NYC.

Posted on: 2010/2/3 21:16

Re: Fulop proposes new NJ Turnpike extension to ease Holland Tunnel traffic now cutting through Down
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/8/21 0:12
Group:
Registered Users
The traffic signal activated landmines haven't been functioning lately either.

Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:
Quote:

Azul_the_Cat wrote:
I understand the need to curb traffic cutting through downtown, but I live downtown and use Erie every morning to get to the Holland Tunnel. If I couldn't make that right onto 12th that would suck.

You are in fact making an illegal turn every morning, although admittedly one of the signs today said only "Turns" since the "no" was burned out.

Posted on: 2009/6/17 17:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:
Construction has been on going for almost a year.

I've seen the work, but didn't know the scope. There's been some level of work going on there for far longer than a year.

Posted on: 2009/6/10 19:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Construction has been on going for almost a year.

Posted on: 2009/6/10 19:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:
If you are talking about the western end of 139, 1&9 and the Wittpenn Bridge construction, its a double project, that one day, when its finished, some 75 years from now, will improve traffic flow out of the city.

http://www.state.nj.us/transportation ... /rt7wittpenn/projmgr.shtm

http://www.state.nj.us/transportation ... er/roads/rt1_9t/maps.shtm

Holy Crap! How could we online addicts and civically involved not know anything about this? That's some huge project, that won't improve traffic at all on the routes I travel the most. Getting on Tonnele Northbound from 139 will still be a nightmare better done at Manhattan Ave, and it looks like getting on 1&9T S might require traveling 2 giant loops if they close off the St Pauls sneak route. Fun.

Posted on: 2009/6/10 15:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
If you are talking about the western end of 139, 1&9 and the Wittpenn Bridge construction, its a double project, that one day, when its finished, some 75 years from now, will improve traffic flow out of the city.

http://www.state.nj.us/transportation ... /rt7wittpenn/projmgr.shtm

http://www.state.nj.us/transportation ... er/roads/rt1_9t/maps.shtm

Posted on: 2009/6/10 13:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/5/23 10:53
Group:
Registered Users
Whats goin on down by the UHaul & by the old foxes. It looks like they are making a bridge but whats it going to look like & whats it for?

Posted on: 2009/6/10 12:49

Re: Fulop proposes new NJ Turnpike extension to ease Holland Tunnel traffic now cutting through Down
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Yes, the traffic light cycles were changed during construction. During construction 139 and the Turnpike shared a green signal; vehicles coming from 139 could only turn left on Jersey Avenue and vehicles coming from the turnpike could only turn right. This meant that the traffic light cycle was a bit shorter (it made traveling from Hoboken to Jersey City very easy, too).

However, since they finished construction they have "fixed" the traffic signal. 139 and the Turnpike once again have their own green signals allowing vehicles to turn both directions from each roadway, but lengthening the time it takes to cycle through the lights. In addition, the southbound traffic has a much shorter green light, and that light is not synchronized properly with the light at 14th Street, so traveling from Hoboken to Jersey City has again become a huge pain.

Part of the problem with correcting the traffic here is there is a state highway run by the DOT, turnpike authority highway, city roads and the Port Authority tunnel. State Police, city police, and port authority police all have the authority to enforce no right turns and don't block the box laws, but none of them do. Its impossible to point the finger at anyone elected official either, because none of them have complete authority over the situation.

Posted on: 2009/6/10 3:08

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/5/6 2:06
Group:
Registered Users
From mid-November until around mid-April, they must have changed the traffic light patterns at the end of the turnpike ramp (where traffic alternates with 1&9) due to construction at 1&9. I don't know that they changed for a fact, but I drive that way daily to my office in Newport and I know that during that time, the traffic delays I experienced on the turnpike ramp, approaching the turnoff to Jersey Ave., were minimal. As soon as they reverted to the "old" 1&9 traffic pattern, traffic backups to the Columbus Ave. exit became a regular occurance.

So maybe the answer is to adjust the traffic and light patterns where turnpike and 1&9 merge on 12th St? Seems like a much cheaper way to reduce backups on the turnpike than building a new off ramp would be, and the reduced delays would encourage people to stay on the turnpike and not take the JC local streets as a shortcut.

Or maybe that would all just be too easy and logical?

Posted on: 2009/6/9 14:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/9/29 17:41
Group:
Registered Users
Changing directions overy few blocks is absurd. Make a 5 mintue drive to Target, A&P or Hoboken take 15-20? Great idea. Seems like it would just create more traffic for locals.

Posted on: 2009/6/9 13:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/26 20:09
Group:
Banned
I like the idea of changing the direction of the one way the on Monmouth, Coles, Jersey and Erie every three or 4 blocks, making it frustrating for people to cut through downtown. This will both slow up traffic in addition to dissuading folks from cutting through downtown.

Quote:

ripple wrote:
How about just making it a giant pain for anyone to use the residential streets in downtown Jersey City (focusing on VVP and Harsimus/Hamilton) for anything except going to/from home? Add more stop signs on Jersey and Erie, and then enforce them (and all others in the neighborhoods) so vigorously that practically everyone driving "Jersey style" through them gets a ticket! Throw in 20 mph speed limits on all except the main arterial streets, and people will stop cutting through downtown to hit the turnpike in no time.

Posted on: 2009/6/9 0:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Well our lovely city just rebuilt most of the street corners over last three months-- but didn't bother building curb extensions / bulb outs, a proven traffic mitigation technique.

Posted on: 2009/6/9 0:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/25 20:40
From somewhere else
Group:
Registered Users
And the city will raise some much needed extra cash in the process. Maybe even enough that it can stop the illegal booting!

Quote:

ripple wrote:
How about just making it a giant pain for anyone to use the residential streets in downtown Jersey City (focusing on VVP and Harsimus/Hamilton) for anything except going to/from home? Add more stop signs on Jersey and Erie, and then enforce them (and all others in the neighborhoods) so vigorously that practically everyone driving "Jersey style" through them gets a ticket! Throw in 20 mph speed limits on all except the main arterial streets, and people will stop cutting through downtown to hit the turnpike in no time.

Posted on: 2009/6/8 21:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/12/18 14:09
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2009/6/8 20:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/1/15 16:41
Group:
Registered Users
I got one just as bad. The corner of 2nd and monmouth might as well have a "this red light does not count" sign hanging on it. Every day I see people either just blow through that red or take that left on red that for some reason, people think is legal.

Posted on: 2009/6/8 16:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:
Quote:

Azul_the_Cat wrote:
I understand the need to curb traffic cutting through downtown, but I live downtown and use Erie every morning to get to the Holland Tunnel. If I couldn't make that right onto 12th that would suck.

You are in fact making an illegal turn every morning, although admittedly one of the signs today said only "Turns" since the "no" was burned out.

Discussing legality or not of turns at 12th is silly, since there's absolutely no traffic enforcement of any kind, be it turns or gridlock. Want to seen a steady flow of illegal turns? Watch the left "through traffic" lane northbound on Marin at 12th.

Posted on: 2009/6/8 16:20

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/26 15:56
Group:
Banned
I think a great starting point would be to eliminate the right turns from Erie 24/7, funnel the traffic down to Marin. But in concert they need to add a light at 9th and Marin at the very least, probably someplace further down Marin as well. It would also be helpful if they closed 9th in between Marin and Manilla during rush hour like they used to (anyone know why the stopped?). Since they opened it up that intersection has become much worse. I think that all of these solutions would force drivers to be delayed enough that they would think twice about going through Downtown.

Posted on: 2009/6/8 14:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/19 17:53
Group:
Registered Users
If you ever have driven on RT 46 to go to the GWB than you have seen the answer.They have cops with barricades stoping traffic from using the side streets.They will ask you where your going,where you live and they will turn you around.This may seem like it causes more traffic but after a few days people get the hint.

Posted on: 2009/6/8 14:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Azul_the_Cat wrote:

Posted on: 2009/6/8 14:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:
Quote:

GrovePath wrote:
They need to just make downtown's Holland Tunnel entrance for Jersey City Residents only! (with valid JC Stickers)

They could also save on labor costs and make that Holland tunnel lane just an easy pass only lane - maybe even tie it to needing to be a Jersey City address or drivers will be fined!

Why not just ride a flying unicorn to Manhattan instead?

OK, junior urban planner - whatever you say!
Resized Image

Posted on: 2009/6/8 14:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/6/2 11:06
From Scenic McGinley Square
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2009/6/8 14:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/25 20:40
From somewhere else
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

matt07302 wrote:
One possible idea is to not allow right turns from Erie Street into the tunnel from 7:00 am to 9:00 am. Commuters using Erie would have to circle the block making it less convenient.

Matt raises a good point which is related to something I've wondered: how many people living downtown regularly drive into Manhattan during rush hour? I never do. Not claiming that my experience is representative, but downtown has so many mass transit options - especially relative to other parts of JC - I can't imagine that a large number of downtown people are driving in regularly. Unless I'm wrong about that, I like an idea that restricts downtown access to the tunnel during morning rush hours.

Posted on: 2009/6/8 13:56

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017