Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
93 user(s) are online (79 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 93

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Parked car totaled in hit and run
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/24 3:29
Group:
Banned
A moment of silence for a lovely car.

{{{ shhhhh }}}

Amen.

Posted on: 2009/6/15 22:04

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/14 13:23
Group:
Registered Users
Looks like I'm screwed on this one. Pathmark didn't have it on their tape, and I went to the school and was able to get a different security guard to show me the live feed of the camera closest to the street, and the angle it's at wouldn't have caught anything even if I could get them to review the footage.

The city had it towed by My Way on Tonnele and I just gave him the go ahead to salvage it. The repairs would cost thousands of dollars and I was planning on selling the car in the next month and a half as I plan on moving out of the country for a year, and I'm pretty positive I wouldn't come close to recouping the repair costs at sale.

Thanks to everyone for their support/ideas. Hopefully someone will still come forward having seen something, or a repair shop will report someone coming in today, but I'm pretty doubtful that anything will come from this.

Posted on: 2009/6/15 21:44

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/21 20:09
Group:
Registered Users
That's terrible, and as the above post states what a great old car, perhaps impossible to replace.

I'm a car hobbyist and have had several repairs in various shops. If you decide to repair, pm me and I could recommend shops (merc specific).

Good luck.

Posted on: 2009/6/15 21:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/24 3:29
Group:
Banned
This story stinks. And what a great old car.

I hope the police do the right thing and secure the video footage. I can't believe they aren't already doing it (well, I can, but it's stupid). God forbid they do something preventative before someone gets seriously hurt.

Keep us posted!

Posted on: 2009/6/15 21:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/9/17 18:39
Group:
Registered Users
ryanone

I lived on that corner. Were you the one with the Benz? Sad to say the corner precinct is Internal Affairs. They could care less about anything that does not involve them . I know they have video. Just press them

Sorry to hear all this bad news.

Posted on: 2009/6/15 20:53

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/11/22 2:28
Group:
Registered Users
I live around there too and didn't hear anything last night, I wish I had though so maybe it could have helped. Anyways, I cannot believe that the police will not check the school cameras. To me I always think my car is safer near the school because of the cameras. Apparently I am sadly mistaken. I think the cops sometimes need to put themselves in the victims shoes. Whether or not it's a petty crime is besides the point. I am sure if it had happened to one of their cars it would not be so petty. I hope things work out for you and I will be on the lookout.

Posted on: 2009/6/15 20:44

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/11/9 18:52
Group:
Registered Users
Some related events with the last few years of parking around the VVP area:

2009 :

Hub caps - A few weeks ago someone stole my wheel caps. They cost $60 a pop at the dealership; so that's atleast $100+ if I can get them on eBay

This winter - I was shoveling snow outside our condo unit. This guy tried to make a speedy turn, skid, hit my side-rear and pushed the car on the side walk. The next thing you know, he is driving away without even bothering to stop. Chased him and he looked so surprised. He tried to sweet talk his way out but I insisted on a police report. I'm glad I did. When I called him the next day with the estimate given by the body shop, he pretended that the damage was very minimal when he saw it. The police report and photos I took really helped without which I would have to get stuck with the expensive suspension replacement

2008: My spare got stolen along with the wheel cover. Cost $300 to replace

2007: Some keys both sides of the car. Starts at the mirrors and goes all the way back. $300 to fix

Posted on: 2009/6/15 19:52

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/9/24 18:01
Group:
Registered Users
Sorry about your car and the whole situation. I live right there and cant believe this happened as well. I thought it was a garbage truck hitting something behind us on York and didn't think to check out my front window.

I cant believe the police will not review the tapes, since I am sure they would for other issues that don't hurt anyone, such as drug deals in front the school or graffiti on the school. A person driving that recklessly and driving off after that bad of a hit is just as dangerous as someone shooting a gun off randomly walking down the road.

Posted on: 2009/6/15 19:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/9/28 17:36
Group:
Banned
Quote:
The police told me that if there were no fatalities, they won't review surveillance footage.

And that apathy/laziness/stupidy is why ANY "Crime is down" stats or statements by Healy, Comey, etc. are useless.

A bunch of ass-clowns, all of them.

Posted on: 2009/6/15 17:29

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/9/1 21:36
Group:
Registered Users
mdev - sorry to hear about your car...

same thing happened to my car last year, hit and run (my car was parked) on bay street between grove and erie... cost just over $10,000 in repairs... my neighbors saw the car that hit mine and took down their license plate number... the cop had it in the report, but didn't charge the car with any violations, so i actually had to go and file charges myself... i've been going to court since, trying to get the girls insurance company to pay for the damages - more importantly the deductible that i had to shell out...

there's a police precinct up the block on the corner of erie that should have had the car on tape... but similar situation as yours, they wouldn't even spend the time pulling/reviewing the tape, unless someone was seriously injured...

Posted on: 2009/6/15 17:09

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
The security guy at Pathmark told me that he checked from 12:30 - 1:30 and didn't see any cars drive through with damage, so they must have turned down Monmouth from Bright.

Posted on: 2009/6/15 17:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/22 20:18
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
ill check on it

Posted on: 2009/6/15 16:55

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Mike, he did say that one's insurance company can subpoena the tapes. I only have liability so my insurance company isn't going to do that for me, but you had collision so maybe yours will.

Either way, I'm going to go down to the station shortly and try to speak with someone there in person rather than over the phone. If they still refuse to look into this with the knowledge that they may actually be able to solve a crime with 30 minutes of work yet actively choose not to, I'll be writing a letter to Inspector Kilduff of the JCPD, Councilman Fulop, and Mayor Healy to express my disappointment.

Posted on: 2009/6/15 16:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/1/21 20:29
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

caps wrote:
Quote:
The security camera at the school has a decent shot of having caught it, the security guard there even told me so, but he also said that I would need the police to review the tape and that they nor I could without them. The police told me that if there were no fatalities, they won't review surveillance footage.

that's ridiulous....20 minutes of their time could solve this crime...

OMG that is ridiculous! This driver COULD have killed someone... the only reason he/she didn't is pure chance. They are giving up the chance to catch a potentially dangerous individual/s to save 20 minutes?

Infuriating.

Sorry for your troubles, caps and mdev. It just sucks.

Posted on: 2009/6/15 16:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/10/2 20:19
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

mdev wrote:
The security camera at the school has a decent shot of having caught it, the security guard there even told me so, but he also said that I would need the police to review the tape and that they nor I could without them. The police told me that if there were no fatalities, they won't review surveillance footage.

I spoke with the security manager at the Pathmark and explained what was going on, and he seemed very sympathetic and interested in helping and is going to take a look at his tapes between 1:00-1:25 to look for any car driving through with extensive damage to the passenger front side (which is the way their cameras face)

I'm pretty disappointed that the police seemingly care so little about it. I understand that there are more important issues than someone's car being hit, but the fact remains that whoever did this is still running around and could have very easily killed someone with that sort of behavior. The camera from the school would have a decent chance of catching the entire accident on tape, yet they have no interest in helping out with this.

Get your lawyer or your insurance company's lawyer to (1) compel them, or (2) ensure the tapes are not erased.

Posted on: 2009/6/15 16:38

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/10/20 16:44
Group:
Registered Users
This is slightly off topic but I completely agree with you regarding the police's lack of caring. I had a radio stolen from my car (initiation into JC I guess) and they really didn't care at all. I don't know what I expected, but quite honestly, there was nothing done at all other than filing a report. Best part of this was that I was parked on the corner of Erie & First, practically across the street from the police station.

You guys have a tape that may show the culprit and they aren't willing to review it. This lack of caring is a big issue and really just sends a message to criminals in our area that they can keep getting away with these non-personal crimes with little or no risk of being caught. It's really pathetic.

Sorry for your loss.

Posted on: 2009/6/15 16:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

that's ridiulous....20 minutes of their time could solve this crime...

Posted on: 2009/6/15 16:31

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

I spoke with the security manager at the Pathmark and explained what was going on, and he seemed very sympathetic and interested in helping and is going to take a look at his tapes between 1:00-1:25 to look for any car driving through with extensive damage to the passenger front side (which is the way their cameras face)

I'm pretty disappointed that the police seemingly care so little about it. I understand that there are more important issues than someone's car being hit, but the fact remains that whoever did this is still running around and could have very easily killed someone with that sort of behavior. The camera from the school would have a decent chance of catching the entire accident on tape, yet they have no interest in helping out with this.

Posted on: 2009/6/15 16:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
the honda was mine.......

Posted on: 2009/6/15 14:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/5/23 10:53
Group:
Registered Users
Damn that sucks. I hope they catch who did it.
Whats up with the NEW YORK Plates, reg & Insurance? Don't you live here in JC?

Posted on: 2009/6/15 14:22

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
The black Honda parked in front of me with the rear corner damage belonged to someone in #126.

Posted on: 2009/6/15 14:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
be the apthmark liquor store has cameras, or the museum at mobm/ mint. Oor dixon mills on Monmouth a few blocks past month

Posted on: 2009/6/15 14:01

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/18 20:26
Group:
Registered Users
Wow, i'm in #126 and I didn't even hear anything. That sucks.

Posted on: 2009/6/15 13:39

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
They must have been heading westbound because they hit the driver's side corner bumper on the guy's car in front of me.

I'm in one of those two set back houses. My girlfriend had an idea to call the school and Pathmark to see if they have any cameras that might have picked anything up, but as was said, I'm not sure how much good finding a driver would even do.

Posted on: 2009/6/15 12:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
holy crap. that's terrible. i'm on bright street as well and will keep my eyes open.

i see from the pics that you're midblock on bright, by the set-back house. across the street is the school, so this is the westbound direction on bright.

that sounds like a drunk driver on a sideswipe en route to monmouth street or the pathmark, and from there, who knows?

or i guess they could have veered from their lane going east on bright, which would send them towards van vorst and a more densely populated area

christ

Posted on: 2009/6/15 11:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/6/20 2:33
Group:
Registered Users
I think its a good bet that the offending car will turn out to have been stolen.
It's the ghetto version of a Six Flags ride.

Posted on: 2009/6/15 11:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

thomash844 wrote:
I live just a few doors up from you...damn, I am sorry this happened to you....not a usual occurrence on this block. I wish I had heard something and looked out my window so I could have helped catch the bast*rd.

Not a usual occurrence on any block; hey **it happens. It seems with the high insurance rates here in Jersey the "Hit & Run" option is the prefered choice. I was going to say those that can't afford it are the uneducated ones that usually smack their cars up but lately all walks of life are guilty as charged look at Corzine. The N.J insurance companies seem to judge by location, education, and credit/FICO rating.

Posted on: 2009/6/15 11:03

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/28 21:42
From Downtown Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
I live just a few doors up from you...damn, I am sorry this happened to you....not a usual occurrence on this block. I wish I had heard something and looked out my window so I could have helped catch the bast*rd.

Posted on: 2009/6/15 10:42

Parked car totaled in hit and run

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
About two hours ago my parked car was (likely) totaled in a hit and run on Bright St. (btw Varick/Monmouth).

The police have estimated that the offending car likely has significant damage to its passenger front side. If anyone owns an automotive/body repair shop in the area (or knows anyone who does) and sees anyone come in with similar damage to their car in the coming days, possibly with silver paint marks on the body, please call the Jersey City Police Department and e-mail me with any information. ( marc AT devens . org)

Thank you.

Here are pictures of the damage if anyone's interested:
http://momar.net/images/accident1.jpg
http://momar.net/images/accident2.jpg
http://momar.net/images/accident3.jpg

Posted on: 2009/6/15 7:52

« 1 (2)

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me