Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
116 user(s) are online (96 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 116

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 5 6 7 (8) 9 10 »

Re: Newark Avenue StreetScape
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/2/3 3:59
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
What I don't understand is how any effort to create an appealing streetscape downtown is going to succeed as long as the scar of Columbus west of Grove runs right through it. It looks like a war zone.

It appears the HDSID plan just skips right over Columbus as if it weren't there. At least I think so. If you go to the HDSID website (http://www.jcdowntown.org) and download the "HDSID Plan" you get a one page brochure showing the proposed fixtures for the streetscape with a map showing nothing planned for Columbus west of Grove. Their links to news reports lead to "file not found" error messages.

Is there anyway to read more details about their intentions?

Posted on: 2009/7/27 18:10

Re: Repaving of Newark Ave.
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/11/10 19:14
Group:
Registered Users
If you really think this Newark Street scape "improvement" is befitting our up and coming city and main street scape then you need glasses and/or some taste.

Quote:

sacanagem wrote:
I think it looks great.

Posted on: 2009/7/27 17:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JC_DowntownRegular wrote:
The most shocking part of this is that they dug up the brand new sidewalk that was laid down around the new building on the corner of First and Jersey. I sure hope the developer was aware of this. Regardless this city sure does a fine job of wasting our money. They probably had the developer redo the sidewalk knowing full well that it was going to be redone as part of the streetscape.

I saw that. Absurd. Sort like when just before the election they replaced all the street corners on Jersey and Erie even though most of them were perfectly good.

Posted on: 2009/7/27 17:00

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/9/9 11:41
Group:
Registered Users
I think it looks great.

Posted on: 2009/7/27 16:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/7/18 2:23
From Not in JC anymore
Group:
Registered Users
I guess as part of the redevelopment, they have continued north onto Jersey Ave from Newark and then turned east onto First.

The most shocking part of this is that they dug up the brand new sidewalk that was laid down around the new building on the corner of First and Jersey. I sure hope the developer was aware of this. Regardless this city sure does a fine job of wasting our money. They probably had the developer redo the sidewalk knowing full well that it was going to be redone as part of the streetscape.

Posted on: 2009/6/26 17:47
- Never argue with an idiot. They bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Not in JC anymore
Group:
Registered Users
I've seen 3 or 4 cutouts for trees along the entire stretch and no planters and I haven't seen anything for lighting.

Three or four cutouts are a far cry from a tree lined streetscape. And interestingly enough, these weren't put in until people starting saying that there was a lack of cutouts. Have they noticed that we have noticed?

Posted on: 2009/6/25 16:15
- Never argue with an idiot. They bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/4/1 12:54
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Wait. What are these holes if not spots for trees or lighting? They are about 17 paces apart on Newark.... Photobucket

Posted on: 2009/6/25 15:39

Re: SHODDY WORK IN DT JERSEY CITY
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/1/10 17:34
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jc73 wrote:
You should see the sidewalks on Bergen Ave or on MLK Dr. they are in need of repair. The people that live down there pay taxes too, why don't they have nice sidewalks and pine trees. Are they trying to say that they are not worth the work or is it just that downtown is more important. If you've ever driven and seen some of the homes out there you can see that they are real nice homes I think that fixing the sidewalks and planting some more trees would make them look even better.

By the looks of MLK on CrimeSpot, the residents are needing repair more then the sidewalks.

Posted on: 2009/6/25 12:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Not in JC anymore
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JerseyCityFrankie wrote:
I notice in the last week or so the city is installing what appear to be ?planters? along Newark.

I walked along Newark between Jersey and Grove this morning and didn't see any such planters. Did I miss something?

Posted on: 2009/6/25 12:15

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/9/29 2:05
Group:
Registered Users
Yeh I hate the color of the new sidewalks why does they have to be such a color of gray why not purple or green lol its a much more cheerful color lol

Posted on: 2009/6/25 5:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/7/22 15:58
Group:
Registered Users
I notice in the last week or so the city is installing what appear to be ?planters? along Newark. These are wide metal troughs that stand about two feet high and as of today ( June 25) are filled with dirt in anticipation of some sort of plants. Looks like they came out of the same municipal sidewalk catalog as the trash cans we have in town. I mention the trash cans since obviously no matter what gets planted in these troughs, idiots will use them to dispose of trash and any plants growing in them will soon die, and then the troughs will be overflowing with garbage. Nice work City Hall. I wonder if City Hall has any idea what the sidewalks are like in this town? Do any of them actually walk on Jersey City sidewalks? If they did they would know how stupid this idea of ?Decorative Planters at sidewalk level? is. The only way this could work would be if they hired more guys just to watch over and maintain the planters. I?m conservatively guessing the ?planters? cost $500 each with another $300 to $400 for the plants. I say whatever plants go in by the end of June will be dead by the end of July. Further I?m saying by this time next year they will all be horribly mangled by poorly operated motor vehicles. So $10,000 wasted for no gain. Thanks for being so stupid, City hall idiots!

Posted on: 2009/6/25 4:16

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/3/8 12:16
Group:
Registered Users
one step forward, two steps back.

Posted on: 2009/6/24 4:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
JC_DowntownRegular you have it right. This is certainly not the first time and certainly not the last time that Larry, Mo and Curly have somehow infiltrated this glorious cites Public Works Dept.

Why don't we all make it our civic duty to drop a line to these two geniuses:

Thomas Best, the Acting Director of the JC Public Works Dept. a line and tell him how unhappy we are to many of these new "improvements."

Thomas Best, Acting Director
575 Route 440
Jersey City, NJ 07305
Tel: 201-547-4402 Fax: 201-547-4803

Robert Cotter, the director of the Department of Housing, Economic Development & Commerce should also get a call. I have witnessed this guy show up to a city council meeting in black sweatpants!

Robert Cotter, Director
30 Montgomery Street
Jersey City, NJ 07302
Tel: 201-547-5070 Fax: 201-547-6556

City "Planning" phone number should you want to talk to Larry, Mo and Curly. 201-547-5055

http://tinyurl.com/kwhqlz

Quote:

scribblejam wrote:
So walking to work this morning, i got to see the construction guys bulldoze the tree that was standing outside OX. It made me notice that from there to grove, there is only one pathetic little tree outside Skinners.

Does anyone know if there is any plan to maybe plant more trees in that stretch, because when summer finally kicks in, that sidewalk and stretch of pavement will be sweltering? Not to mention that trees are attractive and going green is kewl.

Posted on: 2009/6/24 1:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Not in JC anymore
Group:
Registered Users
You mean they cut down a tree they could have easily worked around. No that could never have happened.

They will replant the trees.....after they cut up the newly laid sidewalk because there are no cutouts for those. Then they will cut down those trees to put in the new lighting, but only after they have laid down some new sidewalk. Then they will cut up the sidewalk again to put in lights and trees. After all that they will rip up the street and repave it, only to damage the curb and sidewalk to have to put it in again.

It sounds like a plan to me.

By the way, has anyone noticed the newly resurfaced corner at Montgomery and Jersey (corner of the library) - it has already cracked in several places.

Just another half assed project brought to you by your poorly spent and pocketed taxes.

Posted on: 2009/6/23 23:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
A plan?! Clearly you have forgotten where you reside.

Quote:

scribblejam wrote:
So walking to work this morning, i got to see the construction guys bulldoze the tree that was standing outside OX. It made me notice that from there to grove, there is only one pathetic little tree outside Skinners.

Does anyone know if there is any plan to maybe plant more trees in that stretch, because when summer finally kicks in, that sidewalk and stretch of pavement will be sweltering? Not to mention that trees are attractive and going green is kewl.

Posted on: 2009/6/23 22:04

Repaving of Newark Ave.
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/3/8 12:16
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2009/6/23 21:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

alanwright wrote:
Bringing up property values is not the goal of urban redevelopement, and it is not always a blessing. Also, location, and not the size/ age of the structure, are the important determinants of it's extrinsic, monetary value.

As others have noted, Newark Avenue's existing structures have instrinsic, historic value through their quaintness and stability. Some improvements are merited, and are coming, but those occur through market forces... not your tornado of improvement.

Increasing property values encourages rehabilitation of historic structures by making it worthwhile to restore the buildings. Renovating buildings on a dilapidated street will yield a lower appreciation for the money invested than a street with curb appeal, pedestrian traffic and overall desirability. Improving the streetscape generates a positive market forces that will encourage restoration and rehabilitation.

The downside of increasing property values however is that it also encourages ripping down historic buildings to replace them with buildings that maximize the value of the land. Skyscrapers are the machines that make the land pay.

Posted on: 2009/6/14 0:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Not in JC anymore
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

81905 wrote:

New Grove Street PATH sidewalk: Cracks everywhere not to mention weeds all over the Marin Blvd. Columbus intersection. Check out the weeds next to the pine tress that out line the parking lot. They are nearly 4 feet tall in places.

I believe the Grove Point developer redid the sidewalks here. Anyone else know?

Posted on: 2009/6/13 23:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Not in JC anymore
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jc73 wrote:
Unless you tear down the old buildings on Newark Ave your not going to bring in new business, the only thing that will end up there are some small high end shops. If you want to bring in bigger business and more jobs your going to have to knock down the old buildings and put up new bigger buildings. So putting in a new sidewalk to do that would be pointless. As far as property values go if you compare the homes in downtwon to the homes on the other end of the city technically the homes on the other end of the city are much nicer and much much bigger, therefore you would get more for your money and bring up property values.

You also miss the point of the original post about the shoddy work. It's not that putting in a new sidewalk is pointless, it is already being done. More so, it is being done very poorly. If the intent was to make it look like bluestone, as someone else mentioned, then they should have gotten bluestone. Otherwise, this is looking like the worst sidewalk job I have ever seen. Some stores have been completey skipped and adjoining stores don't have matching sidewalks.

Has anyone else noticed that there are no cutouts for the supposed planned trees and new lighting? I guess the sidewalk will have to be dug up again to put these in. What great planning!! It seems as with every other "improvement" JC has tried, this improvement is being done half heartedly.

And by the way, you get more for your money, but that doesn't mean you bring up property values.

Posted on: 2009/6/13 23:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/10/2 20:19
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jc73 wrote:
Unless you tear down the old buildings on Newark Ave your not going to bring in new business, the only thing that will end up there are some small high end shops. If you want to bring in bigger business and more jobs your going to have to knock down the old buildings and put up new bigger buildings. So putting in a new sidewalk to do that would be pointless. As far as property values go if you compare the homes in downtwon to the homes on the other end of the city technically the homes on the other end of the city are much nicer and much much bigger, therefore you would get more for your money and bring up property values.

You are uninformed, or biased.

Bringing up property values is not the goal of urban redevelopement, and it is not always a blessing. Also, location, and not the size/ age of the structure, are the important determinants of it's extrinsic, monetary value.

As others have noted, Newark Avenue's existing structures have instrinsic, historic value through their quaintness and stability. Some improvements are merited, and are coming, but those occur through market forces... not your tornado of improvement.

Moreover, there is more foot traffic on Newark Ave, so "bang for the buck," as measured by use, clearly argues for improving high traffic areas in a commercial corridor... not fixing sidewalks on Cornelison, Kensington, or Zabriskie.

Posted on: 2009/6/13 23:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Sweet Jesus jc73! Are you serious? I would hate to imagine the cheaply built crap that would replace these historic, well-made structures on Newark Ave. Look at these old buildings sometime. This is the craftsmanship of our grand fathers and great-grand fathers. These were created in a time when details like hand laid hex-tile entrance ways had designs in them, when grand entrance doors took a couple week to make and weighed over 100 pounds, when interior walls were thick and window frames were hand routed. Unless they spend a fortune (which I don't see any potential JC businesses doing anytime soon) then you will get nothing original, nothing remotely able to stand the test of time (both in structure and design) nothing with an ounce of planning involved and certainly nothing with any heart and soul.

jc73 wrote:
Unless you tear down the old buildings on Newark Ave your not going to bring in new business, the only thing that will end up there are some small high end shops. If you want to bring in bigger business and more jobs your going to have to knock down the old buildings and put up new bigger buildings. So putting in a new sidewalk to do that would be pointless. As far as property values go if you compare the homes in downtwon to the homes on the other end of the city technically the homes on the other end of the city are much nicer and much much bigger, therefore you would get more for your money and bring up property values.[/quote]

Posted on: 2009/6/13 22:10

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/11/4 14:25
Group:
Registered Users
Growing up in the Boston area, there was always threats of tearing things down, but since there is history attached to many of the buildings, whoever moved in them, whether it was a big or small company, they did the renovation to the space and made it work. (I could make a baseball remark here, but i will refrain)

I find that there seem to be some bad landlords and some bad new business politics that happen. Look at that freaking Wings place that I could have sworn should have been open by now. Hell, i totally thought they would have been open by Super Bowl Sunday to cash in on the wing craze. The bad landlords just haven't done any work to these old buildings and some look like they are stuck in the 1960/70's. But with a little renovation, I am sure they could be amazing. Walk down Newark and look up at some of those apartments above those shops. I am in awe of some of those places.

Bigger business does not mean better Jersey City. This is why i live here and not Hoboken. I like the smaller stores that cater to the community. I don't need any big name stores making my town look like an oversized shopping mall.

Quote:

jc73 wrote:

Posted on: 2009/6/13 20:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
It goes without saying that the sidewalks and public areas in other parts of JC are worse, much worse. Those council members I guess don't pull enough weight to get their wards fixed up and revitalized. I suppose the areas immediately around City Hall and the main Path hubs get dibs. I don't know many areas of JC as I work near the Grove PATH. So, that is why I mentioned that particular section.

I am just dumbfounded that JC doesn't have a group of credible contractors who actually have design and workmanship in mind when they take on a job. I watched them build Grove Pointe and once the trucks and workers left I kept wondering when the stairs would be finished. I guess that is what 'they' call finished.

We are not dealing with the the guys from This Old House. I realize that. City projects get bids and usually the cheapest bid gets the job. Of course with JC involved who know really who is greasing who. So, the cheapest guy gets chosen then he sub-contracts it out to someone even cheaper and less qualified who end up quickly butchering a job. The town is butchered left and right. One only has to to drive around for a short time to see lovely brown stones pock-marked with hideous pink brick s*hit boxes. Look at all the side walks that have been turned into driveways on some of these streets. Just unimaginable. Again, JC asleep at the wheel.

Posted on: 2009/6/13 17:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jc73 wrote:
You should see the sidewalks on Bergen Ave or on MLK Dr. they are in need of repair. The people that live down there pay taxes too, why don't they have nice sidewalks and pine trees. Are they trying to say that they are not worth the work or is it just that downtown is more important. If you've ever driven and seen some of the homes out there you can see that they are real nice homes I think that fixing the sidewalks and planting some more trees would make them look even better.

Yes they (city of J.C.) is saying that they are not worth it. As soon as the repairs and maintainence is done the natives rip it apart. The sidewalks are maintained by the homeowner so the blame goes towards the resident or absentee home owners. And yes those homes there are beautiful, spacious, and sculptured.

Posted on: 2009/6/13 9:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jc73 wrote:
As far as property values go if you compare the homes in downtwon to the homes on the other end of the city technically the homes on the other end of the city are much nicer and much much bigger, therefore you would get more for your money and bring up property values.

ORLY?

MLK Drive

Newark Avenue

Comment Fail.

Posted on: 2009/6/13 6:55

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/3/9 14:18
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2009/6/12 23:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/19 17:53
Group:
Registered Users
I really hate the sidewalks they are installing on newark ave.
I know they are trying to make them look like old blue stone but they just look Dirty.

I like what they have done on montgomery with the island but so far i am not a fan of newark ave rehab.

Posted on: 2009/6/12 21:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jc73 wrote:
You should see the sidewalks on Bergen Ave or on MLK Dr. they are in need of repair. The people that live down there pay taxes too, why don't they have nice sidewalks and pine trees. Are they trying to say that they are not worth the work or is it just that downtown is more important.

A revitalized Newark Avenue will bring in more upscale businesses, which in turn will cater to more upscale residents, ultimately bringing in more money to the local economy, increasing property values and creating more jobs. Improving the sidewalks on Bergen Avenue or MLK Dr will not create the same net gain as improving Newark Avenue.

Posted on: 2009/6/12 18:43

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/3/9 14:18
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2009/6/12 17:23

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/12/16 23:23
From Greenville
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Lafayette wrote:
wow...some people just have to complain about everything....
ARe you serious?
Bergen- Lafayette and Greenville haven't gotten sh%%T for the last 20 years and you are complaining about cracks in the sidewalk?

Come to this side of town.......our tax money is being spent on others turf and we have to eat it.

THANK YOU!

Posted on: 2009/6/12 17:18

« 1 ... 5 6 7 (8) 9 10 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017