Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
144 user(s) are online (123 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 144

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: PATH: Security Screening
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/10/2 20:19
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hb123 wrote:
They pulled me aside this morning, said my body temperature registered as "high". Peppered me with questions about why that would be.

BTW, I am a healthy, athletic 36 year old woman.

They were hitting on you. Just imagine all the peppery questions/ suggestions you'll get once they buy the x-ray backscatter machines.

Posted on: 2009/6/17 23:14

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/10/20 19:23
Group:
Banned
well, normal travellers are calm, aren't they?

Posted on: 2009/6/17 20:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/6/12 3:42
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hb123 wrote:
They pulled me aside this morning, said my body temperature registered as "high". Peppered me with questions about why that would be. Kind of weird, I tend to walk very briskly and am not feverish,overheat easily. As a matter of fact, I walked from 42nd Street to Penn Station a few years ago in 5 degree weather and arrived sweating.

My fear is that these types of machines will be used at airports and healthy people like me will be flagged for not conforming to "normal" body temperature readings.

If the searches have expanded to include this, this is a serious allegation. (and they're in violation of the even the "court" order that allowed bags to be searched) Is this true? Has this happened to anyone else?

For those who aren't aware, this "technology" exists. It's as reliable as it sounds, and the real purpose of it is as obvious as it sounds. It's been advertised/threatened for use at airports, including things like measuring how fast your eyes twitch and other "signs" of nervousness. (Also note that it works by assuming that a military operative on a mission is nervous and has no access to drugs to calm their nerves, but a normal traveler is calm).

Posted on: 2009/6/17 19:47

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/12/8 23:48
Group:
Registered Users
They pulled me aside this morning, said my body temperature registered as "high". Peppered me with questions about why that would be. Kind of weird, I tend to walk very briskly and am not feverish,overheat easily. As a matter of fact, I walked from 42nd Street to Penn Station a few years ago in 5 degree weather and arrived sweating.

My fear is that these types of machines will be used at airports and healthy people like me will be flagged for not conforming to "normal" body temperature readings.

Posted on: 2009/6/17 18:14

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/12/16 23:23
From Greenville
Group:
Registered Users
Does this mean they'll stop "randomly" picking me when I don't shave to search my bag?

Hope my lunch doesn't look bomb-like.

Posted on: 2009/6/17 16:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/9/29 17:41
Group:
Registered Users
Sweet, I'm def going to hang out there and watch.

Posted on: 2009/6/17 13:01

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/7/1 19:58
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
I'm gonna put a cucumber down the front of my pants then they'll ask why I have 2 cucumbers in my pants.

hmm.... Wouldn't it be more fun and productive to go one day with a message on your body?

like I was thinking, aluminum foil somehow on your body with a message? like "F... You", or if you want to be cute something else of your choosing?

Even better if one day it could be organize that a lot of people go with secret messages on their body. Take a letter size paper, glue the aluminum foil for a message? and coordinate it so that we all do it the same day?

at least, all the privacy lovers, freedom believers?

because I am sorry but I think we are losing more and more freedom in this country. It seems that now we are all presumed guilty unless proven innocent, which seems to be the contrary to what I learnt when I was in school...

Posted on: 2009/6/17 3:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
JCase wrote: The OP is talking about a test of passive millimeter wave units. They don't see through your clothes.
Correct, the deployed scanner was a passive millimeter wave technology. However, the link provided by the OP states the following: The images generated through millimeter wave are lower-resolution than that of x-ray backscatter, and as a result, privacy may be less of a concern for the traveling public. TSA anticipates that both "passive" and "active" millimeter wave technology will be deployed at pilot sites in the near future. "Active" millimeter wave technology is different. I couldn't determine exactly how, but it seems like it's a booth you stand in. It might present a different picture than the passive method. I'm not sure because the interweb seemed unsure. Which brings us to another point that was circulating: Quote:
ianmac47 wrote: Its not a system that is very invasive, but once we acclimate to this system, then its a very short distance to full body scans. Also, let's be clear, this is not about a screening for a specific threat, but simply becoming standard procedure.
And that's why the PATH has bag checks and announcements about bag checks: notice, acclimation, standardization, and passivity. Expose yourself to a police state as you expose yourself to a police state!

Posted on: 2009/6/16 2:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/25 20:40
From somewhere else
Group:
Registered Users
In addition to the obvious flaws in such a system and its appeal to the fear-based society bred of the past decade, has anyone asked who gets to pay for this? When do we get to say "enough is enough"???? I thought the end of Cheney would have been the end of this nonsense.

Why should the PA continue to bloat its security/police payroll to titillate the paranoid terror fetishists among us?? Put the money into making the G-Damned train run and put more trains into service rather than giving us an amateur show that accomplishes little, if anything.

Posted on: 2009/6/12 17:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Just4Phun wrote:
Quote:

JCase wrote:
The OP is talking about a test of passive millimeter wave units. They don't see through your clothes.

Very insightful. Still disturbing from a 4th amendment standpoint. And still useless if someone with intent to harm gets as far as the checkpoint before being detected.

Also seems more than a little disingenuous to call this a "test" as they appear to be using these things all over the place. I think what they're testing is public acceptance of (yet more) surveillance.

It's probably set in stone already, with more to come.

Posted on: 2009/6/12 12:29

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/30 21:20
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCase wrote:
The OP is talking about a test of passive millimeter wave units. They don't see through your clothes.

Very insightful. Still disturbing from a 4th amendment standpoint. And still useless if someone with intent to harm gets as far as the checkpoint before being detected.

Also seems more than a little disingenuous to call this a "test" as they appear to be using these things all over the place. I think what they're testing is public acceptance of (yet more) surveillance.

Posted on: 2009/6/12 12:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Maintain that fear, just like the pig's-ass flu - no more have actually died then any other seasonal flu.

Posted on: 2009/6/12 12:16
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
I'm gonna put a cucumber down the front of my pants then they'll ask why I have 2 cucumbers in my pants.

......of different sizes

Posted on: 2009/6/12 11:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/30 16:48
Group:
Registered Users
So someone get a lawyer and take them to court. Just because they are doing it doesn't make it legal. The supreme court has struck down activities government agencies were doing for years.

Posted on: 2009/6/12 4:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
The system is not nearly as invasive as the TSA full body x-ray machines. Its little more than standard video footage with a color coded bar indicating potential threat.

However, regardless of the invasive nature of these machines, if these things are to be installed for security reasons, there is little to prevent them from being installed on the street. Or mounted on a truck and driven past your home. Security-- sure. Where do you draw the line? Is it really enough to screen random people entering a subway? Why not random cars on the interstate, or pedestrians on the sidewalk, or why not simply inspect everyones' home once a week? Its not a system that is very invasive, but once we acclimate to this system, then its a very short distance to full body scans. Also, let's be clear, this is not about a screening for a specific threat, but simply becoming standard procedure.

Posted on: 2009/6/12 4:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned

Posted on: 2009/6/12 4:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/13 17:19
From time to time
Group:
Registered Users

More on Passive Millimeter Wave Technology
http://www.tsa.gov/blog/2008/09/more- ... sive-millimeter-wave.html

Some folks are getting the wrong idea that the SPO-7 passive millimeter wave technology used at Denver and Minneapolis-St. Paul airports during the recent conventions is a mobile Millimeter Wave portal and can see through clothing. That?s not the case. These are two separate technologies that look for threats in different ways.

The Millimeter Wave portal - the booth you walk into at checkpoints in certain airports - penetrates garments and provides an image. The SPO-7, which uses passive millimeter wave technology to detect threats from a distance, produces an image, but it?s simply the type of image you would see on a video camera. Images are not stored.

The SPO-7 unit consists of two separate sensors and a monitoring location. By simultaneously comparing the illumination levels from two locations on an individual?s body, the SPO-7 detects potential threats such as suicide vests and other improvised explosive devices (IEDs) that are hidden under individuals? clothing. On the screen, it produces a light, using a red-to-green scale, that suggests anomalies such as the presence of explosives. That's why the screen and the officer viewing the screen doesn't need to be in a remote location....

...And lastly, to address safety and privacy concerns, the SPO-7 does not shoot X-rays or any other type of radiation at people. It merely measures energy that emanates from the human body. Signage is prominently displayed where the SPO-7 is used to notify the public. SPO-7 enables TSA to add an unpredictable security measure without adding inconvenience to passengers.

Here are some screen shots of what the operator sees:

Resized Image

[/quote]

Posted on: 2009/6/12 3:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
"help wanted: voyeurs and creeps to oggle thirteen year old girls and post-menopausal women. bonuses given if you spot and record enhancements"

Posted on: 2009/6/12 2:15

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/11/8 13:43
Group:
Registered Users
I was screened this morning at Exchange Place and didn't think anything of it. Now seeing the images it produces and remembering that there were like 5 people behind the system watching the screen (I was the only one coming in at the time) makes me feel a little invaded... Not sure about this. I don't mind extra safety to not worry as much, but not sure I trust the people operating the machines 100%.

Posted on: 2009/6/12 2:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/27 11:11
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

debop wrote:
I love FREEDOM and I have nothing hide...Security Screening will not take away anyone's FREEDOM unless you have something to hide..

Actually it takes away your freedom to not be screened. In other words it takes away your choice, which in reality means you loose your freedom. I personally dont mind the screening, but I just wanted to correct and point out that your statement is incorrect.

Posted on: 2009/6/12 2:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
I was also told that exchange place would be the only station they would be screening at.

Posted on: 2009/6/12 1:58

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/10/11 13:35
Group:
Registered Users
I love FREEDOM and I have nothing hide...Security Screening will not take away anyone's FREEDOM unless you have something to hide..

Posted on: 2009/6/12 1:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

gothamshe wrote:
so has anyone here actually been screened yet? and if so, what's the upshot?

I was screened this morning at exchange place. WHATEVER.
No biggie, no delay, no complain.

Posted on: 2009/6/12 1:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/8/18 23:27
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
I think everyone enjoys their FREEDOM. FREEDOM is what makes this country great. As a matter of fact, I do not want the PA taking away my FREEDOM to not be scanned. I love FREEDOM.

Posted on: 2009/6/12 1:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
debop wrote: A sacrafice or should I say a small inconvience is a small price to pay for my FREEDOM or my safety
Why did you capitalize FREEDOM? Being x-ray eyed top-to-bottom by minimum wage security personnel is not a freeing activity. I should know: they had me run, skip, hop, silly walk, cartwheel, and conga-line through the machine so they could upload it to their blog. Somehow they didn't mention my underwire brassiere or the socks I had stuffed in it. And elsewhere. Well, let me tell you, that machine does not enhance the freedom of speech or religion or assembly, the right to bear arms, protection from unreasonable searches (ahem), rights to due process in accessing the courts, freedom from cruel and unusual punishment... Unfortunately, those who are quick to throw away their own freedoms are also throwing away mine. Please, don't tread on me.

Posted on: 2009/6/12 0:52

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/1/5 20:02
From downtown jc
Group:
Registered Users
so has anyone here actually been screened yet? and if so, what's the upshot?

Posted on: 2009/6/12 0:34

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/10/11 13:35
Group:
Registered Users
A sacrafice or should I say a small inconvience is a small price to pay for my FREEDOM or my safety

Posted on: 2009/6/11 23:41

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jennymayla wrote:
Please do not presume to understand what I think and what educates my point of view. Do not belittle my opinion because it is different than yours. I've respected what you all had to say (ok, at least 99% of it. fine, maybe 95%) and request that you do the same.

No, no. I'll take the hit on this. I did mean jennymayla. No offense intended. And I'm not blowing a gasket.

I have no intention of belittling anyone's opinion. I'm just taken aback when people aren't riled up when the government takes away their rights. This would appear to be an illegal search. (I'm not a lawyer.)

IMO the reason it's OK with airports is EVERYONE is subject to the same search. This, on the other hand, is crap. You can circumvent this by using another station, another entrance to Exchange Place, etc.

What next? Buses? NY Waterway? Turnpike toll booths?

And if this is the same technology as the "virtual strip search" that TSA says they've taken great pains to ensure the privacy of the traveler then why aren't they taking the same steps here?

TSA had what appears to be the same portable system in the Minneapolis airport last summer at the conclusion of the Republican convention. It was right outside the security checkpoint observing people in line. There was no warning (that I'm aware of) to the public. There were no signs near the equipment informing the public of what they were doing. There were two or three guys sitting at a table about ten feet from the tripod-mounted scanner watching whatever it is they can see on their screens and steering the scanner to look at different subjects.

Posted on: 2009/6/11 20:07

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jennymayla wrote:

If I have to make sacrifices for general safety, I am ok with that.

And that is precisely the point here: It's doubtful they're making anyone any safer. It's "security theater" (I love that term!)

You see action and equate it with progress. (If they are scanning me or making me take my shoes off, it must be making me safer.)

Posted on: 2009/6/11 15:50

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

T-Bird wrote:

Sadly, to me at least, the legacy of the WTC attack won't be that we are safer and have learned some lesson because we can never be "safe." That's just the way life is. No, the real legacy will be that fear is the most effective tool available to people who want to control you to achieve their objectives.

Bingo. I think that sums it up nicely!

Posted on: 2009/6/11 15:44

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017