Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
118 user(s) are online (98 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 118

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Absolutely legit, "stretching the rules," or downright illegal?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/1/21 20:29
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

regulator wrote:
at my polling location in the heights during the citywide election, members from both major candidates (healy and manzo) were blatantly campaigning on the corner of the street by the polling place, but since the entryway to the polling place is tucked in about 40 feet from the curb, they 'technically' weren't breaking any laws.

Yes, this was my experience too during the last election... My place is the school on Franklin Avenue in the Heights. Some of Manzo's team were downright obnoxious... yelling at me to vote for them as I walked by. And then I heard them yell something about "no more alcoholics"... it was just such a trashy scene. I thought, if I was still undecided at this point, you definitely would not be getting my vote. I just got home from work, I am running out of time and the polls are gonna close, I got a million things to do at home, so please stfu so I can go do this thing in peace and be one my way.

Posted on: 2009/6/10 17:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/25 20:40
From somewhere else
Group:
Registered Users
Completely curious - no agenda - I ask because I'd like to understand these issues better: How does one "see numerous instances of people acting in this capacity without certificates or possessing certificates issued in the names of other individuals"? Is there a challenger of challengers? Is that a neutral (i.e. board of elections appointed) function or do campaigns send someone around to challenge the challengers of their opponents? If you "saw (sic) numerous instances" that would indicate to me that you were one of the "challengers of challengers." How does that work? How was your experience?

Quote:

G_Elkind wrote:
.... Another common violation observed during the recent municipal election cycle was the presence of unauthorized challengers in polling places without valid written permits issued by the county board of elections. See NJSA 19:7-1 et. seq. I was quite surprised to see numerous instances of people acting in this capacity without certificates or possessing certificates issued in the names of other individuals.

All the best.

Geoff

Posted on: 2009/6/10 15:58

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/10/29 16:00
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
at my polling location in the heights during the citywide election, members from both major candidates (healy and manzo) were blatantly campaigning on the corner of the street by the polling place, but since the entryway to the polling place is tucked in about 40 feet from the curb, they 'technically' weren't breaking any laws.

NJ State Election Law is extremely clear that there can be no electioneering of any kind within the polling place or room where the machines are located, or within 100 feet from the outside entrance to the polling place or room. See NJSA 19:34-15. Violation of this statute is considered a misdemeanor under State Law -- a disorderly person's offense.

Also, it is prohibited to wear, display, sell give or provide any political badges, buttons or other campaign insignia within 100 feet of the outside entrance to the polling place or room or inside the polling place or room itself. See NJSA 19:34-19. There is only one exception: Badges furnished to challengers properly certified by the Board of Elections may be worn. Violation of this statute is considered a misdemeanor under State Law -- a disorderly person's offense.

Another common violation observed during the recent municipal election cycle was the presence of unauthorized challengers in polling places without valid written permits issued by the county board of elections. See NJSA 19:7-1 et. seq. I was quite surprised to see numerous instances of people acting in this capacity without certificates or possessing certificates issued in the names of other individuals.

All the best.

Geoff

Posted on: 2009/6/10 13:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

regulator wrote:

So close yet so far, an inch is as good as a mile, close but no cigar.

Posted on: 2009/6/10 12:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/24 20:41
Group:
Banned

Posted on: 2009/6/10 12:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/4/17 15:41
Group:
Registered Users
I saw this happen at several voting places in the original election. Corrupt JC politics at it's best. Certainly not surprising and actually expected.

Posted on: 2009/6/9 20:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
downright illegal - photo should have been taken and reported to the authorities that deal with this breach.

Posted on: 2009/6/9 20:04
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Absolutely legit, "stretching the rules," or downright illegal?
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/9/22 22:53
Group:
Registered Users
Just came back from voting in the run-off. Here's what I saw, and I will not disclose who the candidate was in order to keep things bias free:

A van, plastered with posters and loud speakers blaring, dropping off, waiting for (within 100 feet of the entrance - speakers still blaring) then making an illegal U-turn in the middle of the street to pick up the person he was waiting for directly in front (10 feet) of the entrance/exit of the polling place.

I said to the guy, "This doesn't belong here." He said, "Oh, yeah, yeah... I'm just waiting for someone, thanks." He did move away quite quickly, right after the person got in the van.

So... campaigning is clearly illegal near a polling place, but what about this sort of "hit and run" type thing? Obviously they were picking up and dropping off someone who was going to vote in their favor, and I would suppose that they have the right to do that, but shouldn't they have to do that picking up and dropping off at least 100 feet away from the entrance of the place? Or at least shouldn't they have to turn off the loud speakers, or something?

So what is it, a mountain out of a mole hill, or a clear violation?

And also - does anyone know what the sanctions would be for campaigning within 100 feet of a polling place in general (not even really relating to this scenario - just curious in general)? Are there any actual sanctions, or is it just a "We told you to move" type thing?

-Thanks.

Posted on: 2009/6/9 19:37

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017