Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
110 user(s) are online (94 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 110

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Exchange Place Gunfire Injures Two
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/26 19:42
From Chilltown, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

mwa7368 wrote:
Ohhh ...let's keep track! 1 murder for Downtown 1 for the rest of JC.
Shall we see who's safer, who has a better quality of life which includes less foreclosures and less unemployment?
Don't forget this is "DOWNTOWN" JClist not "the rest of jersey city" jersey city list.
Make a good note of how the highway divides the regions of foreclosure very clearly.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/20 ... egion/0515-foreclose.html

Just because YOU believe doesn't make it so either.

Actually Downtown has 3 murders so far this year so your count is off. Also I don't believe it to be true I can prove it. Here are the crime stats and crime rates comparing Downtown to the Heights added up from the stats on the JCPD website and is from January to April.

CRIME STATS
------------------Downtown--------------Heights
Murder----------3--------------------------0
Rape------------4--------------------------2
Robbery--------51------------------------46
Agr. Assault---49------------------------51
Burglary--------68------------------------123
Larceny--------443-----------------------173
Auto Theft-----59-------------------------56
Arson-----------3---------------------------2
Total------------680-----------------------387

CRIME RATE
------------------Downtown--------------Heights
Murder----------7.8-----------------------0
Rape------------10.4----------------------4.3
Robbery--------132.1---------------------98.4
Agr. Assault---126.9---------------------109.1
Burglary--------176.1---------------------263.2
Larceny--------1147.4--------------------370.2
Auto Theft-----152.8----------------------119.8
Arson-----------7.8-------------------------4.3
Total------------1761.1--------------------1042.2

Population-----38,545------------------46,528

.....Below poverty level............50% below poverty level
07302....14.7%..................................4.8%
07307....13.1%...................................4.3%

Now to anybody reading this I am not attacking Downtown just trying to bring people like mwa7368 out of there fantasy world. I was raised in Downtown and it is my favorite neighborhood in JC but just because it is more expensive then the rest of the city doesn't make it safer. Although I will say it is overall one of the MANY safer areas in JC.

Posted on: 2009/5/27 6:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/4/29 16:55
Group:
Registered Users
Ohhh ...let's keep track! 1 murder for Downtown 1 for the rest of JC.
Shall we see who's safer, who has a better quality of life which includes less foreclosures and less unemployment?
Don't forget this is "DOWNTOWN" JClist not "the rest of jersey city" jersey city list.
Make a good note of how the highway divides the regions of foreclosure very clearly.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/20 ... egion/0515-foreclose.html

Just because YOU believe doesn't make it so either.

Posted on: 2009/5/27 3:19

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/4/25 17:45
Group:
Registered Users
+ 1

Very well stated.

Quote:

JerseyCityNj wrote:
As far as Downtown being "way way way safer than any other area of the city", that is a fantasy. Yes Downtown is one of the safest. If you ventured west of the turnpike you would know. I have even showed stats on here showing how the Heights as a whole is safer then Downtown as a whole. The neighborhoods I would say are the safest are the Western Slope, The area of West Side west of Mallory, Society Hill, Country Village, the Island neighborhood and the neighborhood east of Caven Point along Chapel as well as scattered pockets.

Posted on: 2009/5/26 22:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/7/8 2:45
From Bergen/Laf
Group:
Registered Users
ok my bad, I clear it up the shooter.... I in no way condone gun violence....

Posted on: 2009/5/26 19:15

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/5/20 20:55
Group:
Registered Users
I think they were down there after a prom that was at one of the hotels...

Posted on: 2009/5/26 15:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/14 0:06
Group:
Registered Users
I think you were pretty clear- But I think you meant to say, "Shooter". The "shootee" is the one who was...well, shot.

Posted on: 2009/5/26 15:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Greenvillechick wrote:
are you retarded.?.. where did I say shooting them was innocent and fun?, I said what they were doing was innocent - not dealing drugs, or sitting outside crip walking or whatever it is you people think they "were" doing... They went to the waterfront, to chill with their friends after the prom... maybe were drinking (big deal) Their was an argument that turned bad (NOT INNOCENT) and I said blame the SHOOTEE not the kids who were shot.... they DIDNT EVEN KNOW THE DUDE!

No, I am not retarded. Your quote was "it was actually innocent fun". If you were referring to the kids who got shot - that THEY were having innocent fun whilst getting shot - then you could have phrased it more effectively. IMO, using the words innocent and fun in any way in the description of a shooting is not tasteful.

Posted on: 2009/5/26 15:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Bergen/Laf
Group:
Registered Users
are you retarded.?.. where did I say shooting them was innocent and fun?, I said what they were doing was innocent - not dealing drugs, or sitting outside crip walking or whatever it is you people think they "were" doing... They went to the waterfront, to chill with their friends after the prom... maybe were drinking (big deal) Their was an argument that turned bad (NOT INNOCENT) and I said blame the SHOOTEE not the kids who were shot.... they DIDNT EVEN KNOW THE DUDE!

Posted on: 2009/5/26 15:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Greenvillechick wrote:
I actually happened to be in the ER room with the guy who got shot in the ankle, he was in the room next to us and since it's only a curtain seperating the rooms... you can hear everything... it was actually innocent fun, kids went down to the waterfront after the prom... an argument ensued and someone popped off..... No drugs involved.... maybe alcohol... and definately not gang related... See how easy you can judge a situation? Dont blame the ones who got shot... blame the shootee.... people rarely fight with fists anymore...

That's what you call innocent fun? Seriously???

When I was in high school, innocent fun after the prom was getting a little buzzed in the limo with a flask of rum. Shooting somebody SIX times after the prom, and you call that innocent fun? What is innocent about it? And what is fun about it???

Posted on: 2009/5/26 14:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/24 3:29
Group:
Banned
G-chick, no offense but that is the most pathetic thing I have ever read. Innocent fun? HE GOT SHOT.

When did that become ok?

The fact that it was a post-prom thing makes it even more pathetic and sad...and these guys seem sort of old for the prom.

Posted on: 2009/5/26 14:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Bergen/Laf
Group:
Registered Users
I actually happened to be in the ER room with the guy who got shot in the ankle, he was in the room next to us and since it's only a curtain seperating the rooms... you can hear everything... it was actually innocent fun, kids went down to the waterfront after the prom... an argument ensued and someone popped off..... No drugs involved.... maybe alcohol... and definately not gang related... See how easy you can judge a situation? Dont blame the ones who got shot... blame the shootee.... people rarely fight with fists anymore...

Posted on: 2009/5/26 14:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
It's awful that this happened, in an otherwise safe, yet desolate, area. It pains me to say this, but if this kind of stuff continues to happen Downtown, you're going to see real estate continue to drop faster and faster, and we'll be back to the Downtown JC of 15 years ago. Drugs in Van Vorst Park...good times.

Posted on: 2009/5/26 13:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JerseyCityNj wrote:
Quote:

mwa7368 wrote:
Quote:

JerseyCityNj wrote:
Quote:

mwa7368 wrote:
As long as the drug dealing under achievers keep killing each other we all win, it's when they start killing productive members of society is when it's a real shame. These guys were not from that area, there is no way I believe that. You can't control where the trash migrates but the fact is that while downtown doesn't have a force-field and coffees shops do not deter crime, it's way way way way safer than any other area of this city. In a huge metropolis you can live in the safest area and still have crime look at manhattan, any given night anywhere in the city you can have a beatings rapes and shootings even in the areas where a 2 bedroom condo costs 3X what it does on the JC waterfront.
Not that I don't think Healy is full of S#$% and we need more cops and smarter enforcement.

I never understand how people always assume they cant be from Downtown. Never mind the fact the 20+ story building on Montgomery between Warren and Washington has many teenagers and is only a few blocks away. Don't forget all the apartments west of Jersey all the way to Ferris full of teens as well and you can't believe there not from Downtown because of what? Because some one from Downtown couldn't possibly get shot at?

As far as Downtown being "way way way safer than any other area of the city", that is a fantasy. Yes Downtown is one of the safest. If you ventured west of the turnpike you would know. I have even showed stats on here showing how the Heights as a whole is safer then Downtown as a whole. The neighborhoods I would say are the safest are the Western Slope, The area of West Side west of Mallory, Society Hill, Country Village, the Island neighborhood and the neighborhood east of Caven Point along Chapel as well as scattered pockets.

If I was raising a family in JC the safest place I can think of is in one of the luxury towers Downtown, other than that I would never even consider raising a family here, because although I believe downtown to be the safest no matter how much the people outside of downtown whine that the other parts of JC are safer the fact is they don't even approach being decent place to live in my book, your right that downtown is generally dumpy and dangerous too! I am trapped in a mortgage that is worth less than my apartment and when that changes I am on the first PATH train outta here.

Just because you believe that doesn't make it true. By the way I grew up in Downtown and still think it is a nice place I am just trying to shed light on these Downtown myths that seem to be around.

My family grew up in the Horseshoe, cousins were raised in the Village (J.C.) fine neighborhoods but just like other urban areas such as Nyc, Newark, and Hoboken there are pockets of good with the bad. You wouldn't think Manhattan a huge business district would have problems but they do...everyday. Why the shock when you hear of crime in Downtown ? I'd like to know how long these wide-eyed criers have lived in Jersey City and where they came from you act as though you are visiting a foreign land or when dealing with "the natives" as if they are beings from another planet. You should really get to know the history of the city you are paying taxes or rent into before jumping to conclusions.

Posted on: 2009/5/26 11:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Chilltown, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

mwa7368 wrote:
Quote:

JerseyCityNj wrote:
Quote:

mwa7368 wrote:
As long as the drug dealing under achievers keep killing each other we all win, it's when they start killing productive members of society is when it's a real shame. These guys were not from that area, there is no way I believe that. You can't control where the trash migrates but the fact is that while downtown doesn't have a force-field and coffees shops do not deter crime, it's way way way way safer than any other area of this city. In a huge metropolis you can live in the safest area and still have crime look at manhattan, any given night anywhere in the city you can have a beatings rapes and shootings even in the areas where a 2 bedroom condo costs 3X what it does on the JC waterfront.
Not that I don't think Healy is full of S#$% and we need more cops and smarter enforcement.

I never understand how people always assume they cant be from Downtown. Never mind the fact the 20+ story building on Montgomery between Warren and Washington has many teenagers and is only a few blocks away. Don't forget all the apartments west of Jersey all the way to Ferris full of teens as well and you can't believe there not from Downtown because of what? Because some one from Downtown couldn't possibly get shot at?

If I was raising a family in JC the safest place I can think of is in one of the luxury towers Downtown, other than that I would never even consider raising a family here, because although I believe downtown to be the safest no matter how much the people outside of downtown whine that the other parts of JC are safer the fact is they don't even approach being decent place to live in my book, your right that downtown is generally dumpy and dangerous too! I am trapped in a mortgage that is worth less than my apartment and when that changes I am on the first PATH train outta here.

Just because you believe that doesn't make it true. By the way I grew up in Downtown and still think it is a nice place I am just trying to shed light on these Downtown myths that seem to be around.

Posted on: 2009/5/26 3:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/9/28 17:36
Group:
Banned
CRIME IS DOWN; HEALY SAID SO!

Posted on: 2009/5/26 3:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JerseyCityNj wrote:
Quote:

mwa7368 wrote:

Posted on: 2009/5/26 2:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Chilltown, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

mwa7368 wrote:

Posted on: 2009/5/26 1:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/29 17:59
Group:
Registered Users
what ever was going on down there... some one was definitely pissed at the kid who got hit 6X... doesn't say how many guns / shooters were involved but either they were real bad / nervous shooters, accidentlly hitting him where they did or they were trying to maim the kid with two ankle wounds and putting one in his butt for good measure... a lot of bullets going in one direction, can't believe they didn't finish the job...

Posted on: 2009/5/25 13:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dmark526 wrote:
Yet another violent crime in downtown. It just goes to show that JC is JC and that it doesn't matter where you live in this city. The JC lifers already know this. That is if there are any of us left!!!

I read about this a lot in the Jersey but growing up in the Heights and staying within familiar pockets of the city I've yet had to deal with this level of crime. Crimes of this nature can happen anywhere. I wonder what the ones that got shot were doing in this section of town maybe they decided to take a joy ride and hang out on the Waterfront or maybe they were filming a sequel to the old movie. These are still rare happenings for this section of town. But then again J.C. is a center of equal opportunity.

Posted on: 2009/5/25 10:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2009/5/25 3:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Chilltown, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

smp9778 wrote:
Alcohol related? Umm... I am thinking it was gang-related. The gun managed to go off six times. It wasn't a single accidental bullet. I am guessing somebody went looking for this guy to shoot him up.

lmao...When I said alcohol related I meant the shooters and/or the victims might of been drunk, not that it was an accidental shooting. I doubt someone went to the piers to look for someone they had a dispute with. Its more likely they just ran into them there and started shooting. Plenty of people in this city walk around with guns and even though it is possible not every shooting in this city is drug/gang related.

Posted on: 2009/5/25 3:10

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/2/5 2:14
Group:
Registered Users
Alcohol related? Umm... I am thinking it was gang-related. The gun managed to go off six times. It wasn't a single accidental bullet. I am guessing somebody went looking for this guy to shoot him up.

Posted on: 2009/5/25 2:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Chilltown, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

smp9778 wrote:
That street (the dead-end toward the river, between 70 and 90 Hudson Street) is a very popular place for teenagers (i.e. not locals from downtown JC) to "park" on Friday/Saturday nights. Mostly I see a lot of couples but occasionally there are big groups of teenagers.

Previously I figured they were all too busy making out and having sex to really create any problems... I guess I was wrong.

If the police would just assign 1-2 officers to the Exchange Place/Paulus Hook area on Friday/Saturday nights to walk the waterfront, the light rail stations (for the "after mall" crowd headed back to the West Side and Bayonne), it would really go a long way.

You are right that waterfront is a popular hangout at night for couples and groups in there teens and 20s. Nine times out of ten it is safe at night that is why it is a popular late night spot to see the NYC skyline. I doubt it was drug related it was more likely alcohol related. As far as them not being from Downtown the teen from Montgomery could just as easily have been from the Paulus Hook apartments a few blocks away as any other part of Montgomery.

Posted on: 2009/5/24 23:13

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/2/5 2:14
Group:
Registered Users
That street (the dead-end toward the river, between 70 and 90 Hudson Street) is a very popular place for teenagers (i.e. not locals from downtown JC) to "park" on Friday/Saturday nights. Mostly I see a lot of couples but occasionally there are big groups of teenagers.

Previously I figured they were all too busy making out and having sex to really create any problems... I guess I was wrong.

If the police would just assign 1-2 officers to the Exchange Place/Paulus Hook area on Friday/Saturday nights to walk the waterfront, the light rail stations (for the "after mall" crowd headed back to the West Side and Bayonne), it would really go a long way.

Posted on: 2009/5/24 14:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/29 17:59
Group:
Registered Users
It isn't exactly a ghost town... there are some nightclubs in that area... I try to stay away from them when I am walking home from PATH becuase of the groups of people loitering in the streets (@2:00am)... just do not need the potential hassle... not saying these dopes were part of that crowd... but it was a nice night and I can see people walking down to waterfront, especially if they were underage and couldn't get into club with friends... I am always amazed that I do not see police in the area with the size of the crowds... it just looks like trouble @2:00am

Posted on: 2009/5/24 12:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/8 17:09
Group:
Registered Users
this ought to help with the marketing of all those $700 psf condos coming online around Paulus Hook.

Security guy hit the nail on the head - it is a total ghost town nights/weekends which makes for problems like this every so often.

Posted on: 2009/5/24 11:59

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/7/12 15:39
Group:
Registered Users
Four more years!

Posted on: 2009/5/24 11:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
19 and 20 years of age + 2am + living in Exchange Place = Drug related crime.

Just how many 19 / 20 yr olds can afford Exchange Place ?

Bayside Terrace is in Greenville, and Montgomery is a long street. I doubt they were downtowners, as I also doubt that he didn't see and know the shooter, when the gunman was close enough to put 6 into a kid. These guys ain't no Annie Oakleys.

"No snitchin, yo". Gotta admire a man with 6 holes in him who sticks to his code. At least there were no collateral casualties of this youthful horseplay with America's favorite toys.

So, I guess the victims were taking the PATH - since the light rail does not run from 1am-6am...

Quote:
Two Jersey City men were shot just after 2 a.m. Saturday at Exchange Place, by the entrance to 90 Hudson St. on the Jersey City waterfront, leaving one in critical condition and one in stable condition, police said.

Posted on: 2009/5/24 9:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/4/17 15:41
Group:
Registered Users
Yet another violent crime in downtown. It just goes to show that JC is JC and that it doesn't matter where you live in this city. The JC lifers already know this. That is if there are any of us left!!!

Posted on: 2009/5/24 7:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
19 and 20 years of age + 2am + living in Exchange Place = Drug related crime.

Just how many 19 / 20 yr olds can afford Exchange Place ?

Bayside Terrace is in Greenville, and Montgomery is a long street. I doubt they were downtowners, as I also doubt that he didn't see and know the shooter, when the gunman was close enough to put 6 into a kid. These guys ain't no Annie Oakleys.

"No snitchin, yo". Gotta admire a man with 6 holes in him who sticks to his code. At least there were no collateral casualties of this youthful horseplay with America's favorite toys.

Posted on: 2009/5/24 6:11

« 1 (2) 3 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017