Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
55 user(s) are online (48 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 55

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 6 7 8 (9) 10 »

Re: SHODDY WORK IN DT JERSEY CITY
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/10 11:55
Group:
Banned
wow...some people just have to complain about everything....
ARe you serious?
Bergen- Lafayette and Greenville haven't gotten sh%%T for the last 20 years and you are complaining about cracks in the sidewalk?

Come to this side of town.......our tax money is being spent on others turf and we have to eat it.

Posted on: 2009/6/12 17:15

SHODDY WORK IN DT JERSEY CITY
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/11/10 19:14
Group:
Registered Users
Why do we get the second rate contractors to do all these city scape improvements in Jersey City? I know the almighty buck dictates a lot but Sweet Jesus they quality is abismal. Using NYC as a barometer does not help but come on!

Case in point:

New Grove Street PATH sidewalk: Cracks everywhere not to mention weeds all over the Marin Blvd. Columbus intersection. Check out the weeds next to the pine tress that out line the parking lot. They are nearly 4 feet tall in places.

Grove Pointe Condos: The stairs and brick work surrounding this already outdated monstrosity is so poorly executed that is doesn't even look finished. Either money dried up or they walked off the job.

Newark Ave. sidewalk improvements: Are they serious? The powers that be in NYC would have said WTF and got someone who knows what they are doing.

Fulop?

Posted on: 2009/6/12 17:06

Re: Funny rendering of Newark Ave
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/13 17:19
From time to time
Group:
Registered Users
Resized Image

Posted on: 2009/6/5 1:50

Funny rendering of Newark Ave
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/11/12 23:34
Group:
Banned
Man, this is hilarious! Can you even imagine Newark Ave. looking anything close to this:

http://www.jcdowntown.org/

Posted on: 2009/6/5 1:26

Re: Newark Avenue StreetScape
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/19 17:53
Group:
Registered Users
I think in some spots on newark there are a lot of basements that run under the sidewalks half way.These have to be treated differently.This will be done later as you now have to span the open space.This may also be why they can't use pavers.

That said i do agree that the cement work on the sidewalks should have been done with a stamp.I don't like the fake bluestone look.It just looks dirty.

I'll wait till its all done before bitching.I hate when people look over MY shoulder when i'm working.Hope for the best.

Posted on: 2009/5/14 19:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/12 14:54
Group:
Registered Users
I've noticed that space has not been left on the sidewalks for trees. Wasn't the street supposed to be lined with trees? They can't plant them in concrete. Maybe there are going to place large pots. Does anyone know?

Posted on: 2009/5/14 19:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/9/29 17:41
Group:
Registered Users
It looks the same to me. Well, maybe not the same but not much of an improvement.

Posted on: 2009/5/14 18:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/2/9 14:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jccmu wrote:
Does anyone have any input on what exactly the "issues" are with PSE&G? Would calls to PSE&G help?

Why are you asking this question here and not to the Downtown Jersey City Historic Special Improvement Districts Website? They will answer all your questions pertaining to the Newark Ave Streetscape, then you can enlighten us here!

Posted on: 2009/5/8 16:17

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/8 2:30
Group:
Registered Users
Does anyone have any input on what exactly the "issues" are with PSE&G? Would calls to PSE&G help?

Posted on: 2009/5/8 15:53

Re: Newark Ave Streetscape project
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/7/15 3:35
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
Also noticed that in some instances, the new walkway doesn't go right up to the buildings.

Could this be because of some basement issues with some of the older buildings?

I walked on that side of Newark that they are doing the construction on and you can see where some of the spray painted markings have question mark signs marked close to the building and then outlines.

I agree with previous poster that having the old cement in certain areas and then these areas close to the buildings appear to make it look like a half-ass'd job.

If there is a problem with the property owners, is there a way to compel them to allow the new walkways all the way up to their door/facade?

Not quite sure why redoing walkways can't be done right in Jersey City.

FG

Posted on: 2009/5/8 0:40

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/7/28 18:49
Group:
Banned
I love how high the curbs seem to be. I hope this finally stops people from treating the sidewalk like a parking lot.

Posted on: 2009/5/8 0:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/2/9 14:06
Group:
Registered Users
I took this from the Downtown Jersey City Historic Special Improvement Districts Website, note the last paragraph:

Newark Ave ROZ Updates
Newark Avenue StreetScape Construction Schedule for the week of May 4th:
Traffic patterns will remain as they are, East bound only during working hours and restored to two directions in the evening.

Monday 5/4:
Vault work Grove to Barrow
Tuesday 5/5:
Wednesday 5/6:
Thursday 5/7:
Vault work Barrow to Jersey
Friday 5/8:
Vault work Barrow to JerseyJersey

Also several large sections of sidewalk will have to be left undone due to an issue the city is having with PSE&G.

Here is their website, if you have any question about the Streetscape they are more than happy to answer them for you!
http://www.jcdowntown.org/

Posted on: 2009/5/8 0:03

Newark Ave Streetscape project
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/9 18:01
Group:
Registered Users
Looking at the new sidewalk between Grove and Barrow, why are they not doing the whole sidewalk? They seem to be leaving patches of the old sidewalk. It would be so much nicer if it was uniform. I wonder if they are they planning to finish that later?

Posted on: 2009/5/7 23:38

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/7/6 21:17
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

nikol wrote:
All businesses and residents have been informed. We will be posting weekly updates on our website as well so that everyone knows what's going on. www.jcdowntown.org.

Thanks for posting that link. Nice to be updated on the progress. I hope this helps Newark Ave. reach some of its obvious potential.

Posted on: 2009/4/29 1:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/9/28 17:36
Group:
Banned
Most of Boston is real brick paving and it's beautiful. Done properly, its as good as concrete.

I'm guessing (I hope) the concrete on Newark Ave. is tinted french gray and scored to match blueston. Also, done properly, looks great.

The sidewalks in VVP are done this way and when made to look like large stones, is good. Not crazy about it on the borders where they tried to make it look like small stones as that is not an accurate way that bluestone would have been done.

In the end, it doesn't matter.... go up to Central Ave. All you'll see is the gum anyway.

Posted on: 2009/4/23 19:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/18 19:17
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
in Union City they're ripping up the actual antique (and still perfectly usable) brick crosswalks, and replacing them with dyed stamped concrete. it looks like hell. I will never understand the mind of an urban planner.

Posted on: 2009/4/23 18:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/6/12 3:42
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:
One more modern alternative is actually concrete with dye and a pattern imprinted on it. Its basically a regular concrete sidewalk that has been colored and that has brick like grooves in it.

And wow is it ugly. In fact, it's about the perfect example of the disaster of fake-antique architecture in Jersey City.

Posted on: 2009/4/23 17:38

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/4/30 18:45
From Downtown JC
Group:
Banned
screw brick pavers or any other decorative element on the sidewalk. I think the city would look a lot better if they put back the damn asphalt they ripped up weeks ago.

Posted on: 2009/4/23 17:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/6/20 2:33
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
It's an antique, classy look. Do you want to settle for mediocrity in the redevelopment plan?

The way I see things, an antique may be classy, but an antique look is never classy.

Sure, I know that lots of cities have used brick pavers, and those cities and those areas can be charming. Washington Square Muse comes to mind.
But we have faux brick pavers in front of the A-1 Deli. Does anyone think that block looks better because of them?

I agree that this city could use some sprucing up.
Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't argue for doing nothing. I just think that one could start by trying to make things the very best version of what they already are.
I love the brick buildings downtown. Even the less distinguished ones. There are wood-framed houses interspersed that are totally charming when they're well-kept. When they are covered with aluminum siding or asphalt shingles, they look like hell.
The large blocks of slate that make up most of the sidewalks are great, although they need work to keep them in good condition.

I just hate the solution to everything being to pave it over or cover it in a veneer to achieve some uniformity of style. Especially if that style is lifted from some where else. It just looks to me like a poverty of imagination while we try to avoid all signs of the poverty of wealth

I'm rambling and losing focus here, but you get what I'm trying to say. I think.

Posted on: 2009/4/23 17:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
It's an antique, classy look. Do you want to settle for mediocrity in the redevelopment plan?

The way I see things, an antique may be classy, but an antique look is never classy.

Sure, I know that lots of cities have used brick pavers, and those cities and those areas can be charming. Washington Square Muse comes to mind.
But we have faux brick pavers in front of the A-1 Deli. Does anyone think that block looks better because of them?

I agree that this city could use some sprucing up.
Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't argue for doing nothing. I just think that one could start by trying to make things the very best version of what they already are.
I love the brick buildings downtown. Even the less distinguished ones. There are wood-framed houses interspersed that are totally charming when they're well-kept. When they are covered with aluminum siding or asphalt shingles, they look like hell.
The large blocks of slate that make up most of the sidewalks are great, although they need work to keep them in good condition.

I just hate the solution to everything being to pave it over or cover it in a veneer to achieve some uniformity of style. Especially if that style is lifted from some where else. It just looks to me like a poverty of imagination while we try to avoid all signs of the poverty of wealth

I'm rambling and losing focus here, but you get what I'm trying to say. I think.

Posted on: 2009/4/23 17:07

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/1/28 17:33
Group:
Registered Users
All businesses and residents have been informed. We will be posting weekly updates on our website as well so that everyone knows what's going on. www.jcdowntown.org.

Posted on: 2009/4/23 15:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Binky wrote:
Oh for god's sake!
All of you just move to Montclair.
You and your brick pavers, faux brick pavers.
Lets have matching storefronts too!
Right out of the mall.
So precious.
It's a city!

Yes, but cities can look nice, too, no?

Brick pavers are not strictly a suburban thing, at all. In fact, in cities years ago, many streets, and most sidewalks, were paved with either red clay bricks or cobblestone.

Posted on: 2009/4/23 15:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/10/20 16:18
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Binky wrote:
Quote:

matchjames wrote:

clearly you havent been to Montclair in a while.

True.
I'm confusing it, no doubt with Millburn, or Short Hills, or Summit, or Madison.
They blend together in my mind into the Greater Metropolitan Faux-Village Sprawl.
So move to Millburn.

*lol* I know where you're goin'. The thing is I think you really are thinking more about "faux-village" lifestyle centers trying to emulate downtowns. Like "The Promenade at Clifton" on Rt. 3. (I know, it even sounds hysterical). Short of a few herringbone brick sidewalks, most of the downtowns you mention still actually DO retain their individuality ... 90% independent shops, no stucco storefronts, walkability.

Posted on: 2009/4/23 15:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/1/10 17:34
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Binky wrote:
Quote:

matchjames wrote:

True.
I'm confusing it, no doubt with Millburn, or Short Hills, or Summit, or Madison.
They blend together in my mind into the Greater Metropolitan Faux-Village Sprawl.
So move to Millburn.

Just as one can confuse Jersey City with Newark, Irvington, Union City, East Orange and other ghetto sh*thole cities. This is why people want this place to look better.

Posted on: 2009/4/23 15:38

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/1/28 17:33
Group:
Registered Users
They are working around the existing underground vaults which require some extra work. All sidewalks will be replaced, not to worry!

Posted on: 2009/4/23 15:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

matchjames wrote:

True.
So move to Millburn.

Posted on: 2009/4/23 15:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/10/20 16:18
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Binky wrote:
Oh for god's sake!
Right out of the mall.
So precious.
It's a city!

Posted on: 2009/4/23 15:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Oh for god's sake!
Right out of the mall.
So precious.
It's a city!

Posted on: 2009/4/23 14:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Sateen wrote:
you can't easily dye concrete. It is limited since it is already a muddy color. regardless as we have all seen concrete does not stand up too well to the weather conditions and the trees

Stamped concrete (while I do not think it's a particularly good look), offers a large variety of colors...it is in fact quite easily dyed and stamped. I just think stamped concrete (while better than plain concrete), is a cheap, fake look...but that is to my trained eye. 90% of people would think it looks great.

Posted on: 2009/4/23 14:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Brick pavers, when installed properly, can withstand freeze-thaw cycles without a problem. The pavers that I have installed have looked good for 10+ years and will look good forever.

Posted on: 2009/4/23 14:27

« 1 ... 6 7 8 (9) 10 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017