Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
76 user(s) are online (66 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 76

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Stupid neighbor who hates trees
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/7/18 2:23
From Not in JC anymore
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
I saw a fire spread to neighboring homes from the trees.
Yvonne

I find this one hard to believe. Did they happen to have their window open and what season was it?

Posted on: 2009/5/12 23:56
- Never argue with an idiot. They bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
You should have just got the renters to sign off and plant the trees; let the no show owners cut them down if they didn't want them.

Posted on: 2009/5/12 16:36

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/4/8 1:12
From Lafayette
Group:
Registered Users
This reminds me of something that CABA went through a few years ago. We had a developer offering to fund the planting of trees anywhere along Communipaw Ave. (which is practically treeless on many blocks)
We only got a few planted though because we could not get permission from many owners, and more importantly, we could not CONTACT many owners of the bldgs on the street. Only renters were living there, and when we tried to look up the owner, their addresses/info were out-of-date, or they were falsely listing their address as the property being rented out.
If we did manage to mail a letter to them asking for permission to plant the tree, it was almost always completely ignored. Why should they give a rats ass whether the neighborhood gets much needed shade trees? They don't even live there. Some don't even live in JC!
It was very frustrating.

Posted on: 2009/5/12 15:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
The first few feet off the curb is probably public right away and in that case the property owner doesn't really own the property and the city can plant a tree if the city wants to plant a tree.

Posted on: 2009/5/12 15:35

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/4/8 1:12
From Lafayette
Group:
Registered Users
This city needs shade trees in many areas, and the city needs to just plant them, as long as they first locate the existing sewage lines and don't go near them. The trees provide relief from the summer sun, they help with air-pollution, and provide beauty.
The owner of a property (and I'm a homeowner here) should not have a say in whether the tree gets planted or not, but should have a say in where it gets located in front of their house.
Owners can't control who parks on the street in front of their house either so this should be a no-brainer.

Posted on: 2009/5/12 15:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/28 12:09
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
More than 30 years ago, the city with my permission planted a tree in front of my house. I wanted to show the city where to plant the tree but they dug the hole before I got a chance. The tree cost homeowners then $15.00. That $15.00 tree cost me hundreds, in the range of perhaps $800.00 in plumbing bills. It was planted too close to my sewerage line. Finally, I asked the city to remove the tree. No more sewerage problems. Today, I noticed tree limbs falling and sometimes bringing down powerlines. One of my neighbors was almost hurt. There are too many trees touching homes in Downtown JC. I saw a fire spread to neighboring homes from the trees. Trees are nice but if they are not maintain, then they are a liability.
Yvonne

"Sewerage"? "If they are not maintain"? Today you noticed tree limbs "bringing down power lines"? Where??? How in name of all that is holy are you allowed on television?

Posted on: 2009/5/11 23:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/1/10 17:34
Group:
Registered Users
"I think a certain amount of a smaller types of tree should be mandatory per block and anyone that elects to have a tree planted on their property would be entiteled to some sort of tax abatement."

Although you probably got Yvonne fuming over the mention of abatements, I totally agree. Rutherford actually has a law that for every tree that is taken down, a new one must be planted. We need a law like this in JC. Our condo association actually purchased our two trees because we didn't know the city could plant them at a lesser cost. Now I can actually tell what season it is when I look out of my window. It's unbelievable how many people live here that hate anything that's alive. Trees, squirrels, pigeons, crickets, dogs...etc. To me, these are essentials that make a town "livable".

Posted on: 2009/5/11 21:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/26 3:33
Group:
Banned
everyone is so quick to judge.

Maybe the tree would block the house from sunlight resulting in a dim living room during the day? in that case why would the owner want a tree in front of the house? Not everyone is a tree hugging hippy, it makes sense to plant trees to make the area look nicer sure, but its also the owner's right to make sure it is not planted in a bad spot to their property.

Posted on: 2009/5/11 17:05

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/5/12 19:08
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
There's a big tree in front of my house that has grown its roots right into the sewer pipe underneath. The roots in the pipe have caused backups and have flooded the bathroom and kitchen downstairs. I have had to call several plumbing companies to clear the pipe and to shave the roots of the tree.
I've called JC municipal and quality of life several times and have been told that the tree is the town's property but the sidewalk is mine and it is my responsibility to pay for the sidewalk to be repaved after the roots have been shaved.

Basically, they would come and lift the tree, shave its roots and put it back in the ground. The cost of repaving the sidewalk is in the thousands.
This is ridiculous! I think the tree is nice but what it's doing to my home is not and Jersey City needs to be more considerate when planting them. They need to do a better job figuring out where to plant them and need to consult homeowners as well.

Posted on: 2009/5/11 16:51

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/5/1 18:51
Group:
Registered Users
They actually put one in front of my house while I was not home last week, without permission.

I have nothing against the planting of trees, but if they had done their homework first, they would've realized that putting a tree directly under low power lines will not turn out well in the future. The reason the city cut down the old tree in the 1st place years ago, was due to the wires...well that and the tree branches snapping off and taking them with it.

Posted on: 2009/5/11 16:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/4/5 16:21
Group:
Registered Users
It is mind boggling that any owner would want to live on a a street that is void of trees.

It's not a coincidence that the best streets in jersey city happen to be tree lined.

There are several types of trees that dont grow as large as oaks.

Its neighbors like this that can eventually make the ones that want to improve the area just give up and move to the burbs.

I think a certain amount of a smaller types of tree should be mandatory per block and anyone that elects to have a tree planted on their property would be entiteled to some sort of tax abatement.

Posted on: 2009/5/11 10:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
More than 30 years ago, the city with my permission planted a tree in front of my house. I wanted to show the city where to plant the tree but they dug the hole before I got a chance. The tree cost homeowners then $15.00. That $15.00 tree cost me hundreds, in the range of perhaps $800.00 in plumbing bills. It was planted too close to my sewerage line. Finally, I asked the city to remove the tree. No more sewerage problems. Today, I noticed tree limbs falling and sometimes bringing down powerlines. One of my neighbors was almost hurt. There are too many trees touching homes in Downtown JC. I saw a fire spread to neighboring homes from the trees. Trees are nice but if they are not maintain, then they are a liability.
Yvonne

Posted on: 2009/5/11 3:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/12/12 21:42
From on van vorst park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jcheights08 wrote:
My next door neighbors told me that the other day a truck rolled up and dug a small hole in the sidewalk down the street from us (in the heights), and then another truck rolled up with a small tree to plant in the hole. Before they knew it, the guy whose house the tree was going to be planted in front of came running out to the street, yelling obscenities to the tree planters, saying he didn't want the tree, that they should cover up the hole and leave. He was joined by his wife and another neighbor, and a huge, threatening yelling match erupted, ending with the tree people leaving. My question is: how to get the mysterious tree planting people back to resume their job (I wasn't there to witness this whole thing but I assume it was the city that plants trees) AND how to override these vile miscreants who for some reason are against trees. Who should I call?

First of all, I assume you don?t own your own house. The property owner has the right to have a tree in their sidewalk or not and they must request it in writing to the city before it may be put in the ground. Your ?miscreants? neighbor may have a valid reason besides not liking trees, i.e. gas or water lines that would be disturbed or maybe they don?t want to take care of a tree in front of their house or it would block their view, etc.

Bottom line is that they have the choice, not you, as to what goes on their property. That said, if it that important to you that a tree be on their property, call your neighbor, find out why they object, and see if you can convince them otherwise.

Posted on: 2009/5/11 1:54

Stupid neighbor who hates trees
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/12/22 0:33
Group:
Registered Users
My next door neighbors told me that the other day a truck rolled up and dug a small hole in the sidewalk down the street from us (in the heights), and then another truck rolled up with a small tree to plant in the hole. Before they knew it, the guy whose house the tree was going to be planted in front of came running out to the street, yelling obscenities to the tree planters, saying he didn't want the tree, that they should cover up the hole and leave. He was joined by his wife and another neighbor, and a huge, threatening yelling match erupted, ending with the tree people leaving. My question is: how to get the mysterious tree planting people back to resume their job (I wasn't there to witness this whole thing but I assume it was the city that plants trees) AND how to override these vile miscreants who for some reason are against trees. Who should I call?

Posted on: 2009/5/10 22:36

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017