Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
129 user(s) are online (113 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 129

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3)

Re: Just wanted to thank the garbage men for the 6am wake up call this morning.
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Greenvillechick wrote:
Are you really that much a light sleeper? I mean come on how long are they in front of your house?? Shit my dogs bark at it, but cmon we live in a CITY... its not gonna be all crickets and friggen water lapping at the edge of a peaceful pond, suck it up

There is a middle ground between dead silence and FU citizens.

Posted on: 2009/5/8 21:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/4/20 14:33
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jcnight wrote:
Quote:

stani wrote:
Somehow, they figured out how to pick up garbage during the day in New York City. They must know something we don't. Maybe the city could hire some consultants to study what they do.

In my old hood ( w. village) they picked it up in the middle of the night

In Chelsea, it's the morning. I wouldn't be surprised if there's municipal garbage collection going on around the clock over there. The point is there isn't anything inherently impossible about picking up garbage during the day.

Posted on: 2009/5/8 21:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/7/8 2:45
From Bergen/Laf
Group:
Registered Users
Are you really that much a light sleeper? I mean come on how long are they in front of your house?? Shit my dogs bark at it, but cmon we live in a CITY... its not gonna be all crickets and friggen water lapping at the edge of a peaceful pond, suck it up

Posted on: 2009/5/8 21:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/27 11:11
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

stani wrote:
Somehow, they figured out how to pick up garbage during the day in New York City. They must know something we don't. Maybe the city could hire some consultants to study what they do.

In my old hood ( w. village) they picked it up in the middle of the night

Posted on: 2009/5/8 21:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

jcnight wrote:
i still think it would be difficult for them to do their job during the day. Children on sidewalks, cars,buses,dogs cats,etc. a road less traveled is safer no one gets hurt, and that seems to be late at night

I respectfully disagree. The trucks are slow moving and slow down other vehicles that are often speeding. Slower traffic is safer IMO.

Posted on: 2009/5/8 21:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Crazy_Chester wrote:
tim

Now you can see why Jersey City will never be much of a place to live. Things are accepted here which would never be allowed in civilized societies, be they cities or suburbs. I bet you that even Somalia provides some form of garbage pickup and that it is done at a time convenient for the citizenry. But I could be wrong. It was only recently that the garbage was picked up here during rush hour and it was something to behold when a line of cars got stuck behind a garbage truck on a one way street. The inmates run this asylum. Check out the winners of next week's elections for proof.

I love living here, thats why i live here. And i dont think its a matter of "acceptance" its a matter of whats the best time for them to do their job SAFELY. That does not necessarily
mean it's to your convenience.

Posted on: 2009/5/8 21:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2009/5/8 21:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
i still think it would be difficult for them to do their job during the day. Children on sidewalks, cars,buses,dogs cats,etc. a road less traveled is safer no one gets hurt, and that seems to be late at night

Posted on: 2009/5/8 21:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/10/21 3:42
From Hilltop
Group:
Registered Users
I have 4 things for you to consider:
Get used to sounds of a city
Buy a white noise maker
Move to the country
Move into a top floor penthouse of a highrise

Posted on: 2009/5/8 21:11

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/5/31 19:15
From Downtown JC
Group:
Registered Users
Imagine 2nd St, East of Washington. The garbage trucks come by exactly at midnight and take about 25 minutes to dump 7-8 containers of garbage. Each container has 2 metal lids which they lift and drop down making a LOUD noise each time. 16 times.

Llater that same morning, the recycling truck comes by and then the cardbox box truck.

In that location you have Portofino, Avalon low rise, Athena - all of them can hear this truck do it's work. Imagine how many hundreds of apartment/condo units are affected by this!

This happens on Tue and Thur at midnight. The double whammy is that on Mon and Fri early morning (6am) - Avalon low rise gets its garbage picked up which also makes noise. So I get woken up 4 days a week.

This never should have been planned this way. Ideally it should be after the morning rush like Vigilante suggests.

Posted on: 2009/5/8 21:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

pazman wrote:
Further, assuming you were born in the U.S. (correct me if I'm wrong), what did YOU DO to deserve being free of garbage more than someone living in a "3rd world country"? Sorry you have such a sense of entitlement.

Hi, I was born and raised in a third world country and have traveled to many others and can tell you for a fact that there is considerably more garbage on the streets there than in most of Jersey City. It's not a matter of deserving it. It just is. Garbage on the streets is one of those things that distinguishes third world countries from others.

Posted on: 2009/5/8 20:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
The night-time pick-up is a horrible idea. Sleep is vital to ones health and well-being. I am often home during the week and between mid-morning and afternoon you can often hear a pin drop in my neighborhood. The garbage should be picked up during the day when many people are at work. So some people get stuck behind a garbage truck for 5 minutes! Boo Hoo! "You live in a city". A Fire-truck or ambulance is intermittent noise (for most people) but a garbage-truck is planned, late-night disruption. A Bad Idea no matter how you spin it.

Posted on: 2009/5/8 20:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/10/27 13:13
From The fog.
Group:
Registered Users
tim

Now you can see why Jersey City will never be much of a place to live. Things are accepted here which would never be allowed in civilized societies, be they cities or suburbs. I bet you that even Somalia provides some form of garbage pickup and that it is done at a time convenient for the citizenry. But I could be wrong. It was only recently that the garbage was picked up here during rush hour and it was something to behold when a line of cars got stuck behind a garbage truck on a one way street. The inmates run this asylum. Check out the winners of next week's elections for proof.

Posted on: 2009/5/8 20:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
You gotta be kidding right? This is a joke....
The fire engines, sirens, people sreaming, dogs barking, etc dont bother you but the garbage trucks do. WELCOME TO THE CITY. And if you have lived here a while SHAME ON YOU.

Posted on: 2009/5/8 19:36

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/9/22 12:23
Group:
Banned
Quote:

tim879 wrote:

Why should I be thankful that I do not live in a mound of trash. This is not a 3rd world country. Glad to see you have such high expectations.

Regarding your other comment, I would just drive down another street like most normal people would do when they see a garbage truck in the middle of the street. Yes, its' inconvenient but so is the entire neighborhood being woken up each night.

With respect to your first comment:

The reason we don't have mounds of garbage lying about is because the garbage trucks that you complain about are busy picking it up. But you have a problem that.

Further, assuming you were born in the U.S. (correct me if I'm wrong), what did YOU DO to deserve being free of garbage more than someone living in a "3rd world country"? Sorry you have such a sense of entitlement.

With respect to your second comment:

Yeah, you'd drive down another street, but you'd complain about having to do it.

Posted on: 2009/5/8 19:26

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/10/20 16:44
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

heights wrote:
It's municipal election time here in J.C. go to the debates and state you claim.

This is a great idea.

thank you!

Posted on: 2009/5/8 17:44

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

pazman wrote:
Quote:

tim879 wrote:

Does anyone have any suggestions . . . ?

Buy earplugs.

And stop complaining.

And be thankful that you aren't wallowing in mounds of your own garbage because someone picks it up for you.

You live in one of the most densely packed urban areas in the world.

I'd wager that if trash were picked up at the hours you'd prefer you'd still complain that they are blocking traffic.

Why should I be thankful that I do not live in a mound of trash. This is not a 3rd world country. Glad to see you have such high expectations.

Regarding your other comment, I would just drive down another street like most normal people would do when they see a garbage truck in the middle of the street. Yes, its' inconvenient but so is the entire neighborhood being woken up each night.

Posted on: 2009/5/8 17:33

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

narwhal_attack wrote:
I am sure the garbage men do not want to be out there in the middle of the night either, away from there families, picking up trash. I understand your frustration but it really is not their fault they drive a loud truck and that garbage cans are big, clunky and tend to fall all over the place. This complaint is like complaining that ambulances drive by your house with their sirens blazing. These are all necessarily tasks to keep Jersey City functioning. If you want quite and 9 am garbage pick up consider the suburbs, not a city, any city.

I agree with you that I doubt they want to be out there as well.

Regarding the traffic congestion. I used to live in Queens, just as metropolitan, if not more so, than Jersey City. They picked up trash during the day, after the morning commute/before evening rush hour. No traffic issues / no noise issues. Why is JC so much different? That is a complete BS excuse.

As far as complaining about the sirens. I live close to JC Med. Ctr. and hear them constantly... the difference is that they don't bother me because they are necessary - picking up trash at 1, 2, 3 AM is not. Also worth pointing out that the sirens are a fleeting noise, maybe you hear them for 30 seconds at most... not 5-10 minutes straight... big, big difference.

If traffic is really that much of an issue, coordinate it with street cleaning where 1 side of the road is supposed to be empty for 2 hours - then oncoming traffic can easily pass the truck without any issues.

Posted on: 2009/5/8 17:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/5/23 10:53
Group:
Registered Users
In the middle of the night away from there families is the best time to work. Your home all day & working while they are sleeping. Why work while your families are home waiting for mommy or daddy to come home so they can go to sleep.

Posted on: 2009/5/8 14:10

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/9/22 12:23
Group:
Banned
Quote:

tim879 wrote:

Does anyone have any suggestions . . . ?

Buy earplugs.

And stop complaining.

And be thankful that you aren't wallowing in mounds of your own garbage because someone picks it up for you.

You live in one of the most densely packed urban areas in the world.

I'd wager that if trash were picked up at the hours you'd prefer you'd still complain that they are blocking traffic.

Posted on: 2009/5/8 14:07

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/9/30 2:06
Group:
Registered Users
I am sure the garbage men do not want to be out there in the middle of the night either, away from there families, picking up trash. I understand your frustration but it really is not their fault they drive a loud truck and that garbage cans are big, clunky and tend to fall all over the place. This complaint is like complaining that ambulances drive by your house with their sirens blazing. These are all necessarily tasks to keep Jersey City functioning. If you want quite and 9 am garbage pick up consider the suburbs, not a city, any city.

Posted on: 2009/5/8 14:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/5/23 10:53
Group:
Registered Users
You have to see my street when I leave to take the kids to school. I should of just dumped my trash in the street for them to pick up before the truck arrives.
I dont feel any safer with them out there half awake dumping trash. Like they would stap a car theif or know what they were doing. Half of them are criminals themselves.

Posted on: 2009/5/8 13:51

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/7/5 13:14
Group:
Registered Users
It was done to relieve traffic congestion.

Posted on: 2009/5/8 13:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tim879 wrote:
Does anyone understand the logic of why we need our trash picked up between the hours of 10pm and 7am? This morning, at 6 am the trash truck roared down the block, garbage men whistling to each other to go ahead / backup, trash cans banging around. The other night, it was about 12:15 am that they roared down the block. Why is this necessary? Does anyone else love getting woken up each night / morning?
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get the garbage pick up changed to a more reasonable time?

It's municipal election time here in J.C. go to the debates and state you claim.

Posted on: 2009/5/8 13:13

Just wanted to thank the garbage men for the 6am wake up call this morning.

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Does anyone understand the logic of why we need our trash picked up between the hours of 10pm and 7am? This morning, at 6 am the trash truck roared down the block, garbage men whistling to each other to go ahead / backup, trash cans banging around. The other night, it was about 12:15 am that they roared down the block. Why is this necessary? Does anyone else love getting woken up each night / morning?

I understand there is less traffic during the night but I can't think of any other reason why this makes sense to anyone. We have to be paying these guys a night premium to pick up the trash at this time. Does that night premium cost more than the potential overtime we'd have to pay if a poorly routed truck got stuck in traffic?

And it's not like our streets are any cleaner because they pick up the trash at night - they still spill 1/2 the garbage all over the sidewalk anyway - the only difference is you see the garbage on your way home from work as opposed to your way into work.

And the bogus line of the garbage men make the streets safer by being around at night is a line of crap. A car thief / mugger would be well on their way before the garbage truck was even close enough for someone to see them. And they are on your block for about 5 minutes-10 if you're unlucky - so for the 5 minutes of extra "safety", I'd rather sleep.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get the garbage pick up changed to a more reasonable time?

Posted on: 2009/5/8 12:59

« 1 2 (3)

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017