Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
83 user(s) are online (69 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 83

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Election Gets Nasty: Embankment's Developer, Steve Hyman Launches $150G "Anyone-but-Healy" Campaign!
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/4/25 23:53
Group:
Registered Users
Hyman is hoping the next Mayor will rehire Mark Munley as HEDC Director. Then he can write his own ticket.

Posted on: 2009/5/6 23:17

Re: Election Gets Nasty: Embankment's Developer, Steve Hyman Launches $150G "Anyone-but-Healy" Campaign!

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/4/8 1:15
Group:
Registered Users
Makes me wonder if any of the candidates cut a deal with Hyman. Judging from their public statements I don't think any of the candidates would be friendly to his interests but they all seem to be having trouble raising money. Maybe one of them indicated to Hyman that they would back off the embankment if elected, assuming he fronted the cost of some last minute attack ads.

If there is no deal in place it would seem insane to spend up to a quarter million dollars to get a candidate elected that would continue fighting you.

Posted on: 2009/5/6 20:53

Re: Election Gets Nasty: Embankment's Developer, Steve Hyman Launches $150G "Anyone-but-Healy" Campa
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/10/2 19:00
From Jersey Cxxx
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jerseymom wrote:
Quote:
The first wave of fliers, Hyman said, cost him $50,000. Between now and next Tuesday's election, he said, he plans to spend another $100,000 for more fliers and anti-Healy robo-calls. And if there is a runoff election, he's prepared to spend another $100,000, he said.

Wow - what a waste of paper and resources. Imagine the impact Hyman could make with a $150,000 donation to a recreational, after-school, summer camp or gang prevention program to benefit the community he is trying so "benovolently" to assist.

+1000!

Posted on: 2009/5/6 20:51

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/10/26 17:52
From the best stuff on earth
Group:
Registered Users
Perhaps for $46,000 SLH's team of litigation attorneys have been putting in overtime handing out fliers?

Posted on: 2009/5/6 20:37
My signature will be a funny quote and/or observation.

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/8/28 21:56
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:

Actually, assuming they were mailed, he did not over pay.

not mailed, hand distributed (on cars and after church services).

Posted on: 2009/5/6 20:18

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/10/26 17:52
From the best stuff on earth
Group:
Registered Users
so here's how stuff leading to this played out in my head....

hyman: Hello, Jerry Healy. It's me, Steve Hyman.
healy: Hello, Steve. What's up, dawg?
hyman: I want the embankment.
healy: No.
hyman: I have $150,000 to spend.
healy: No thanks, I'm lousy with dinero.
hyman: I'm gonna tell all my african american peeps to vote for anyone but you.
healy: Bring it, playa.
hyman: K

is this assumption flawed?

Posted on: 2009/5/6 19:46
My signature will be a funny quote and/or observation.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Also, if he spent $50,000 for 30,000 fliers, he is getting ripped off.

Actually, assuming they were mailed, he did not over pay.

Posted on: 2009/5/6 19:12

Re: Election Gets Nasty: Embankment's Developer, Steve Hyman Launches $150G "Anyone-but-Healy" Campa
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/2/24 18:16
From "Pay for Play"
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

GrovePath wrote:
ANTI-HEALY VOTE SOUGHT

Hyman targets mayor he sees as block to his Embankment plans

Wednesday, May 06, 2009
By AMY SARA CLARK
JOURNAL STAFF WRITER

Fed up with city officials who are stopping him from building housing on the Sixth Street Embankment in Jersey City, real estate businessman Steve Hyman has launched a $150,000 anyone-but-Jerramiah T. Healy-for-mayor campaign.

The first salvo: 30,000 fliers distributed in Wards C and F [...]

The first wave of fliers, Hyman said, cost him $50,000. Between now and next Tuesday's election, he said, he plans to spend another $100,000 for more fliers and anti-Healy robo-calls. And if there is a runoff election, he's prepared to spend another $100,000, he said.
[...]

$150,000 for 30,000 fliers? One would have to be a real moron to spend that kind of money on 30,000 fliers!

I just called VistaPrint for a quote on 30,000 flyers, 4 color/blank back, 100 lb glossy paper, artwork upload and 3 day shipping came to less than $4,000 or $13.3 cent each flyer or $133/thousand.

So, whoever is Hyman's printer and designer is laughing themselves to the bank!

Posted on: 2009/5/6 18:36
Resized Image
Help US Sue Spectra! Join OR Donate!

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

T-Bird wrote:
Can't help noticing though that the mayor's guy whining about Hyman being a non-Jersey City resident. The mayor isn't choosy about where his money comes from (Bloomberg fundraiser comes to mind)....

Well...
Bloomberg never talks bad about Jersey City, 'cause his mom comes from here!!!

Posted on: 2009/5/6 18:06

Is Healy Supporting Environmental Injustice?
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/2/10 4:17
Group:
Registered Users
Don't approve of the Hyman tactics or his motives. But Healy seems to support environmental injustice as demonstrated in Ward-F. This whole chromium issue speaks volumes to ward-f residents. Why would anyone with a conscious put politics over peoples lives? Healy needs to address this prior to the election. The recommendation is 1 PPM yet Healy says 20 PPM is fine inside residential homes for people who live in ward-f as seen in this video that has since been deleted. Healy Chromium Survey - Jersey City Conflict with April 8, 2009 Scientific NTP Report Does he know better than the science? N.J. scientists say allowable standard for carcinogen in soil is too high

Posted on: 2009/5/6 17:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/25 20:40
From somewhere else
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Greenvillechick wrote:
Look, I am all for that cause, But here is the problem.... the flyers... I mean cheese and rice!!! ... snip

Cheese and rice! Never heard that before - classic!

Can't help noticing though that the mayor's guy whining about Hyman being a non-Jersey City resident. The mayor isn't choosy about where his money comes from (Bloomberg fundraiser comes to mind); he shouldn't be so quick to complain about criticism.

Posted on: 2009/5/6 16:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/11/18 14:49
From heights
Group:
Registered Users
i hope this backfires and bites him in the ass.

Posted on: 2009/5/6 16:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/8/5 3:20
From Jersey City Heights
Group:
Registered Users
i also love that he makes it some racial issue... of everything people call healy, i don't think i've ever heard him called racist...

Posted on: 2009/5/6 16:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/1/29 1:10
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Wow - what a waste of paper and resources. Imagine the impact Hyman could make with a $150,000 donation to a recreational, after-school, summer camp or gang prevention program to benefit the community he is trying so "benovolently" to assist.

Posted on: 2009/5/6 15:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/7/8 2:45
From Bergen/Laf
Group:
Registered Users
Look, I am all for that cause, But here is the problem.... the flyers... I mean cheese and rice!!! I came out to my car one morning... (one of the many rainy ones) and I had two one on my front and one on the back.... some cars had 4 or 5.... I get your point, and even read the flyer, but your gonna lose by being so obnoxious about it. Had I not gotten out there earlier it would have been stuck to my car and I would have had to scrape it off... now that I look on the street... its littered with these flyers.... good job assclown

Posted on: 2009/5/6 14:12

Election Gets Nasty: Embankment's Developer, Steve Hyman Launches $150G "Anyone-but-Healy" Campaign!
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
ANTI-HEALY VOTE SOUGHT

Hyman targets mayor he sees as block to his Embankment plans

Wednesday, May 06, 2009
By AMY SARA CLARK
JOURNAL STAFF WRITER

Fed up with city officials who are stopping him from building housing on the Sixth Street Embankment in Jersey City, real estate businessman Steve Hyman has launched a $150,000 anyone-but-Jerramiah T. Healy-for-mayor campaign.

The first salvo: 30,000 fliers distributed in Wards C and F that among other things, rake Healy over the coals for allowing Greenville Hospital and the Lafayette Post Office to close and several bus lines in African American neighborhoods to be eliminated under his watch.

Hyman has been trying to build housing on the defunct railroad turnaround since his wife Victoria purchased the elevated six-block stretch from Conrail for $3 million in 2005. But the Healy administration has stymied him at every turn, Hyman said yesterday.

"It took us over two years to get in front of the Historic Preservation Board," Hyman fumed, adding that his wife "couldn't live without trying to unseat him (Healy)."

The fliers, placed on porches and windshields on Saturday, picture a smiling Healy with "no friend" stamped across his forehead. The flier reads: "African Americans suffer, he laughs! . Healy's no friend. Don't plead. Don't pout. Vote Healy out!"

Hyman said he's focusing on minority voters because he thinks they've been "treated shabbily" for too long.

"I'm not totally altruistic in this," he said. "But I figured as long as we're spending the money, the minorities could be the long-term beneficiaries. If it becomes known that their vote influenced the election, maybe people will take note and treat them better."

The Healy campaign shrugged off the fliers, which are technically paid for by 415 Brunswick Street, L.L.C., a corporation owned by the Hymans.

"He doesn't like how hard the administration has fought to save the embankment," said Bud Demellier, a campaign spokesman. Voters, he said, will see the "personal motivation" behind the attack and "not fall prey to this type of negative advertising."

He added, "It's very interesting how a person who doesn't live in Jersey City, arguably doesn't live in New Jersey, can put himself in an exalted position and pretend to tell a community how to vote."

The administration has been negotiating with Hyman to include a park, bicycle/hiking path and Light Rail line in his plans for the Embankment.

Posted on: 2009/5/6 13:39

« 1 (2)

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017