Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
90 user(s) are online (80 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 90

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Open Letter to Mayor Healy about Jersey City Schools
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
I am one of many people who spoke against former Mayor Schundler putting the city into debt to build the the Golden Door. It was built under the guise as a community center. Schundler wanted a charter school paid for my taxpayers. The rent should cover the bond debt and upkeeps. As a taxpayer, I pay board of ed taxes and capital improvements for the board of ed. The capital improvements is actually on the municipal part of the budget not the schools. The public should not pay be obligated to pay another capital improvements; especially since some families using the Golden Door live in tax abated buildings.
Yvonne.

Posted on: 2009/4/30 22:06

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/5/5 19:45
Group:
Banned
If this is an "open letter to Mayor Healy" why is it addressed to Steve Fulop?

Posted on: 2009/4/30 21:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/9/28 17:36
Group:
Banned
Quote:
"Is money worth more to the City than providing a facility to educate our children"?

You're kidding, right?

Posted on: 2009/4/30 21:02

Open Letter to Mayor Healy about Jersey City Schools
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/1/27 22:17
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Letter from Felicia Green, Golden Door Charter School
PTA-President to Steven Fulop

Dear Mr. Fulop

My name is Felicia Green, and I am the President of the Golden Door Charter School PTA.

I am writing to you as a registered voter and a concerned parent to express my concern about the City of Jersey City not wanting to sell the building located at 108 9th Street to Golden Door Charter School.

As you are aware, the City of Jersey City owns the property at 108 9th Street and Golden Door Charter School is paying rent to the city to use the facilities from 7am to 4pm. They are paying an estimated amount of $77,000 a month in rent with yearly increases. The school will not be able to afford the rent that the city wants and continue to educate our children. Therefore, GDCS is looking at a new location and will be moving if the city does not consider selling the building to GDCS.

My question to you is, "Is money worth more to the City than providing a facility to educate our children"? Would you want to uproot your children from the school that they have called home for so many years? How can the City even think about selling a building to the Freeholders that are paying rent and not a school for our children?

I see that you are a true advocate for the public and charter schools and ensure that the school system and administrators are doing their jobs for our children.

With GDCS moving, the students and staff and their families will all be severely affected. Some students will not be able to attend the school that they have grown to adore and Staff members maybe faced to look for other teaching opportunities outside of Jersey City. Is this something that the City is ready to face? This is a safe environment that we will be up rooting our children from, only because the City is thinking of money first and not our children.

Along with the move, comes another concern of the use of the school?s Gym. In addition to paying high fees in rent, the school and PTA must pay to use the gym for activities for the students, that is if we can get a date. The JCRA books the gym for months in advance and does not even consider if the school or PTA may need a date. It gets very frustrating that we can not plan activities for the students. Again, what comes first, the children who needs a facility to get a sound education or the dollar signs that the city sees from the rental fees of the building? Surely, not our children.

Mr. Stiles, CAO has done a fantastic job at the school and it is totally unfair for everyone involved to be negatively affected.

I will be forwarding our petitions to Mayor Healy for review and consideration to sell the property located at 108 9th Street to Golden Door Charter School.

The PTA would appreciate any assistance or guidance that you can offer to us with this situation. I look forward to hearing from you.

Thank you in advance for taking the time out of your busy schedule to read my letter.

Sincerely,

Felicia Green
Golden Door Charter School
PTA-President

Posted on: 2009/4/30 20:08

« 1 (2)

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?