Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
116 user(s) are online (91 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 116

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

BottomBottom  Previous Topic Previous Topic  Next Topic Next Topic   Register To PostTopic is Locked

« 1 ... 13 14 15 (16) 17 18 19 ... 24 »

Re: Forget Taqueria!
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/5/5 19:45
Group:
Banned
Slyng I agree 100%. It's not a war crime, but it's enough to get me to take my business elsewhere.

If others haven't gotten the same treatment, maybe they wear the "right" glasses or t-shirts or facial hair configurations. Or maybe they just have a different threshold for what constitutes apathy versus what constitutes attitude.

Like I said, apathy I could take, attitude not so much. I'm even fond of a certain degree of surly (see: White Star, White Mana, Flamingo, etc.).

I agree, it's absurd that such a small transaction could allow for the exhibition of any attitude whatsoever. Which makes it all the more ridiculous that Moby-dude manages to make it happen. Every time I went in before I gave up. It's almost a talent.

At least the soup nazi's rudeness was funny.

Posted on: 2009/4/29 19:46

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/9/4 3:50
From VVP
Group:
Registered Users
That's what I don't understand. All I see is that transaction as described. People give money, they get tacos. What attitude? Do they seem distracted when dealing with you? It's probably because there's one person handling both lines. I'm sorry, but beyond a somewhat curt (with reason) waitstaff I don't see why their efficiency is interpreted as an attitude. You have good food within 10-15 minutes on a busy night.

Posted on: 2009/4/29 19:05

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/4/25 17:45
Group:
Registered Users
How could I forget Taqueria? Seriously.

I lived in Tucson, AZ for two years (before coming back to NJ) and Taqueria's carnitas tacos are much like the ones I would buy from the taco trucks or taquerias down there. Always served with lots of chopped onion, cilantro, and lime; I never remember seeing sour cream or guac. That is not the style the Mexican folks were into down there, anyway. I grew to really love those yummy pork tacos (in addition to the Sonoran hotdogs - total guilty pleasure), so I was so happy to find them in JC, along with tasty tamales and sopes I've also sampled at Taqueria.

It's a no-frills place, so I guess I never stressed about service. Seems pretty standard for a counter-ordering set-up. + BYOB!

Taqueria is the only show in town (hence the name, which would require a second noun in the SW), for what they do. Love it or leave it.

P.S. They also accommodated a huge pick-up order for an election night party last November. Belated thanks Taqueria!

Posted on: 2009/4/29 19:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/6/3 23:45
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JoeAuxiliary wrote:

Also, "Oh, wow. They treat me like a dick when I order a taco" is the funniest thing I've read on here. If that isn't blown up and on the wall next time I eat in there I'm gonna be pissed.

I guess you missed the point. I don't ask for weird sh!t on my taco, I don't complain or try to customize my order and yeah, the food's fine. I just don't need the attitude - period.

Take my order, take my money, give me my food and don't be a sh!thead - is that too much to ask? I guess they just have a slightly different take on things - c'est la vie.

Like I said in another post, everyone wins: I keep my money, they keep their tacos, and you my friend have one less person in line to contend with...

Posted on: 2009/4/29 18:49

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/1/27 16:58
Group:
Banned
I guess I got lucky, because I went there once and the two women working there were fine. What's that shitty burrito place in Hoboken - on Washington between 1st and 2nd? They were always really rude.

Posted on: 2009/4/29 17:48

Hide User information
Last Login :
From VVP
Group:
Registered Users
I'm not joking. I'm in there once a week. Outside of the normal to-the-point order taking and people making faces upon hearing the table rules, I don't know where this whole "horrible horrible service" argument comes from. I don't see anyone sighing and moping as they slowly attend to you. Usually the person at the counter is trying to take your order quickly so they can get to the nine people behind you. Apparently that's a hipster attitude. Sorry they don't give you an introduction and make sure there's not too much onion on your taco. Maybe everyone should bring in their own bag of Kraft taco cheese.

Also, "Oh, wow. They treat me like a dick when I order a taco" is the funniest thing I've read on here. If that isn't blown up and on the wall next time I eat in there I'm gonna be pissed.

Posted on: 2009/4/29 17:48

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
I'm pretty low maintenance and don't expect much in the way of service from a Taqueria. I can get with direct. I can't get with eye-rolling snideness.

More over-rated tacos for the rest of you.

Posted on: 2009/4/29 17:29

Hide User information
Last Login :
From VVP
Group:
Registered Users
Considering that I eat there on a weekly basis, I figure I should weigh in. Yes, they're very to the point. This may offend you if you're the type of person that assumes you will be treated like royalty and have every inane request of yours heeded for your very specific order when you dine out. They have a very simple menu from which you pick your items. Doing things this way allows them to be very efficient at serving you quickly. It works. They do it this way intentionally. They have a quiet sense of humor about it because they realize it will piss off difficult customers.

Understand that it is a taco truck that you can sit in. Enjoy the food.

Posted on: 2009/4/29 16:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/10/2 20:19
Group:
Registered Users
PubliusIII wrote:

Quote:

Just common sense that after being in the subway, PATH, FAO Swartrz, the MET etc for like 10 hours, one needs to wash hands before eating tacos.

Apparently it was not common sense on your trip to Flaco's Tacos.

You should have made the classic argument that, for once, was true: it's about the children. For the sake of the children! For the health of the children! Swine fluuuuuuuuuu!

Posted on: 2009/4/29 14:40

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/7/18 17:14
Group:
Registered Users
Well, NJLIST, to be fair, the incident occurred about two years ago, long before swine flu was in the news. And I not a germa phobe- don't use antibacterial soap, wipes, etc. Just common sense that after being in the subway, PATH, FAO Swartrz, the MET etc for like 10 hours, one needs to wash hands before eating tacos.

Posted on: 2009/4/29 14:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/6/20 2:33
Group:
Registered Users
I had the pork tostada for lunch today.

Yumm!

Posted on: 2009/4/29 1:37

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/9/27 23:58
Group:
Registered Users
publius,
based upon your story and postings of other customers on jc list and other restaurant boards, readers get the impression that the owners of taqueria are pathologically thin-skinned control freaks who can't take constructive criticism -- if that's the case, seriously, what are they doing in the service industry?

what bothers me more, though, with headlines of swine flu swirling in the news, is that according to your original post on this thread, they were still serving food while the bathroom was inoperable, and customers/workers unable to use the facilities to wash hands. isn't this some sort of restaurant health code violation?

Posted on: 2009/4/29 0:41

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/8/11 19:06
From Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users
Dear Taqueria,
You know what you all should do? You should take to go orders from JCList threads.
I would like 2 pork tostadas and 1 fish taco with a lime wedge inside. For pickup sometime Thursday night.
Thanks

But seriously, the pork tostada could be the best single food item in downtown JC.

Posted on: 2009/4/28 15:42

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/12/22 22:35
Group:
Banned
Watch out Mr. Froman. With all of our references to 80's pop culture, people are going to think that Abe Froman works for us.

Posted on: 2009/4/28 14:27

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Spending time on an "internerd" message board, calling people who post on it "internerds", makes you the biggest "internerd" out there.

That goes for both the TacoTruck dude and Abe.

If you're as above it all as you try to project, why the need to respond? Or the need to eject paying customers?

If you care enough to sign on and respond to tell everybody how much you don't care about what they think, you're probably not telling the truth.

Posted on: 2009/4/28 13:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/7/18 18:17
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Abe_Froman wrote:
Quote:
Jesus, this place sounds like it sucks.

totally sucks

always makes me sick

staff doesn't bow down to everyone

they don't serve burritos like Bubby's

no guac

and there are "better" tacos in Union City, which I can also walk to from various points in Downtown JC.

don't go

Man, if you got stock in the place I'd sell.

Posted on: 2009/4/27 23:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/11/9 5:56
Group:
Registered Users
"I was merely commenting that their schtick is getting old to me"

you were either destined to love it or hate it, it would seem.

"I'll let Abe and others worship at the altar of Tacqueria"

hiyo. I worship at the alter of value for dollar and quality product... service takes a back seat within reason, not that I have a problem with the service at this particular spot.

"And on a side note: amusing != hilarious."

really?

amusing: pleasantly entertaining or diverting:
hilarious: arousing great merriment; extremely funny

in any case, I think this summed it up perfectly:

"It's a similar concept to fast food. Walk up to the counter, order food, sit down and wait for it"

thanks for the diversion folks!

Posted on: 2009/4/27 22:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/6/3 23:45
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Abe_Froman wrote:
it becomes hilarious when people take offense and react to it on an internerd message board

their menu notes are amusing, def unexpected and got a laugh out of it the first time I went there. after that, it's just fun to see who reacts and who doesn't (it's a "tell", you know?)

Sorry Abe, but I wouldn't call my comments "taking offense" at their smugness. They're entitled to behave any way they like, I was merely commenting that their schtick is getting old to me (and it would appear others as well).

AlanWright hit the nail on the head with his response. But something tells me they aren't running that shop to maximize profits. Like I said, live and let live, they can do whatever they want.

I'll let Abe and others worship at the altar of Tacqueria, the rest of us will spend money at places where our business is appreciated - I can tell from his responses (and i'm guessing from Tacqueria itself) that our business won't be missed! Everyone wins...

And on a side note: amusing != hilarious.

Posted on: 2009/4/27 21:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/5/16 16:22
From beneath the jumping sheep
Group:
Registered Users
All this talk of Taqueria had me fiending for a fish taco this afternoon! Too bad they were closed today. Boo!

Posted on: 2009/4/27 21:24

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/1/22 15:44
Group:
Registered Users
Been here about a dozen times. Never had any complaints. I think the food is good. And you walk out full without spending much money. It's not a fancy restaurant. It's a similar concept to fast food. Walk up to the counter, order food, sit down and wait for it. And they even have the decency to bring it to your table. How nice is that?

Posted on: 2009/4/27 21:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/10/2 20:19
Group:
Registered Users
In addition to the Cowboys sucking, I refer you to my TLDR post here: http://jclist.com/modules/newbb/viewt ... id=158431#forumpost158431

I wrote and reiterate:

Quote:

I see this as being very simple issue. More smiles = more money...

Most posters enjoy the food at Taqueria. Some contrarians argue for a different definition of authenticity: Bergenline Avenue, etc.

Many posters either observed, noted, are turned off by, or stay away because of the attitude of some staff at Taqueria. The most frequent target of their frustation is the tall, curt Frenchman...

The point: If Taqueria wants MORE of my money, they'll endeavor to become more pleasant business owners. It's not a public service their running; it's a business...

I live a block from them now. Will I go back? Maybe. But it's not clear to me why being idiosyncratic and principled - where the effect is that they sometimes appear priggish and rude - is a better business model than being friendly, warm, and accommodating.

PubliusIII: your story is awesome. I recommend you do as I do. Use your real name as your handle so you know there's nothing you'd write that you're unwilling to say straight up. It's liberating. Alexander Hamilton would be proud.

Posted on: 2009/4/27 21:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
I'll go back when they cave in and serve some guac and pico de gallo...and sour cream.

they should also smother everything in in generic pre-shredded white/orange cheese blend. that's my jam!

Posted on: 2009/4/27 20:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/1/10 17:34
Group:
Registered Users
I'll go back when they cave in and serve some guac and pico de gallo...and sour cream.

Posted on: 2009/4/27 20:48

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/7/16 14:59
Group:
Registered Users
Just went yesterday...redeemed my Motley Crue ticket stub for a free taco and man it was good! Tacos, a couple cold tacates, and some rock n roll...now we're talkin'

Posted on: 2009/4/27 20:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

totally sucks

always makes me sick

staff doesn't bow down to everyone

they don't serve burritos like Bubby's

no guac

and there are "better" tacos in Union City, which I can also walk to from various points in Downtown JC.

don't go

Posted on: 2009/4/27 20:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/28 12:09
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2009/4/27 20:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
It's a good thing the owner doesn't know the other people posting complaints on this site. He'd be tossing a lot more out.

For the record, you can file this story under "hilarious" in my book.

Got to love the typical faceless/nameless internet warrior getting served up by someone they slammed online.

classic. love it.

Posted on: 2009/4/27 20:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/22 20:18
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
it becomes hilarious when people take offense and react to it on an internerd message board

this is what i found amusing about the situation

Quote:
You can leave now, or you can wait till I put your food in a bag and then you can leave\" or words to that effect.

did you leave immediately or get your food and then leave?

i have only been to this place once back when it first opened. i don't even remember it quite frankly but my wife claims it made her ill whenever i bring up going there again. i happend to check reviews of this place on other sites, tripadvisor, menupix etc and the concensus all seems to be the same regarding the poor service and lost customers. food aside.... i wonder how well this place would be doing if they were just a little more friendly to patrons

Posted on: 2009/4/27 20:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/6/20 2:33
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

SLyng wrote:
Live and let live - I guess it's good to be the only game in [down]town.

But that's just it-- they're not the only game downtown.
If people don't like it they can go somewhere else.
But people would rather complain and then go there again. And complain again.
It's a good thing the owner doesn't know the other people posting complaints on this site. He'd be tossing a lot more out.

Myself, I like the place. No complaints. It is what it is.

Posted on: 2009/4/27 20:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/25 20:40
From somewhere else
Group:
Registered Users
Gotta say - I'm glad that there are people who have chosen to take the menu as a personal affront or find the bald guy at the counter offputting. The place would be overrun if not - as it is it can be tough to get a table late morning/early afternoon on weekends and the pickup counter gets backed up in the evening. Thank you snivelers! Thank you for allowing me unfettered access to the best mexican in JC.

And are you kidding me about The Bald Guy? TBG would be the MVP at the Beechwood - the restaurant part, not the counter. The service is so-o-o comically bad I thought it was intentional the first and only two times I went in there.

Posted on: 2009/4/27 19:58

« 1 ... 13 14 15 (16) 17 18 19 ... 24 »

Register To PostTopic is Locked

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017