Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
109 user(s) are online (93 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 109

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

BottomBottom  Previous Topic Previous Topic  Next Topic Next Topic   Register To PostTopic is Locked

« 1 ... 14 15 16 (17) 18 19 20 ... 24 »

Re: Forget Taqueria!
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/11/9 5:56
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
I'm not sure how you got "hilarious" out of that, perhaps your definition of humor is a bit different than mine.

it becomes hilarious when people take offense and react to it on an internerd message board

their menu notes are amusing, def unexpected and got a laugh out of it the first time I went there. after that, it's just fun to see who reacts and who doesn't (it's a "tell", you know?)

Quote:
Which of these two businesses treats its customers like scam artists? Hmmmm.

clearly the merchant... as i said, Taqueria not taking orders over the phone is a mild inconvenince, and less a complaing than a casual observation (ie: I wish they did). Honestly, I am at the low end of the "needy customer" spectum, found that whole experience to be purre comedy.

Posted on: 2009/4/27 19:50

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/7/18 17:14
Group:
Registered Users
I think this is what happened. I pushed my way into the bathroom sink like Xmas '07. There was a thread a little while latter and I chimed in recounting the story with my PubliusIII moniker. So the guy reads my story, remembers the event and my face and puts 2 + 2 together. I don't think the site would be disclosing our names or URL addresses to them.

Posted on: 2009/4/27 19:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/22 20:18
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
PS: Publius - how did they "ban" you - did you sign your real name to a post & they compared that to your credit card? Did you put your picture in your post? I don't get how an anonymous post from a message board could get someone "banned"...

the detail in his previous post is what did him in..... the owner i suppose remembered him based on the specific situation... that is hilarious

Posted on: 2009/4/27 19:28

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/5/5 19:45
Group:
Banned
SLyng nailed the whole too-cool-4-school thing that made us stop going there. Price and good attitudes should not be mutually exclusive.

Old hipsters pretending to be "edgy" are pretty amusing though. Long live this thread. Every smug post TacoTruck puts up makes me giggle.

Posted on: 2009/4/27 19:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/6/3 23:45
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Abe_Froman wrote:
Quote:
I find the "pillow size burritos" line on the menu a tad arrogant and a little obnoxious.

good! cuz, like, who cares? it's a joke. I think it's hilarious, you don't. if i didn't think it was funny I certainly wouldn't be offended. like, "omg! how dare they mock something I love!?!". Jokes and jokes and jokes and jokes...

Hmm...Yeah, that whole section on their menu is not only not funny, but pretentious and obnoxious. It's their establishment, so good for them if they want to have it on there, but if "funny" is what they were trying to do, they should stick to making tacos. I'm not sure how you got "hilarious" out of that, perhaps your definition of humor is a bit different than mine.

As for the food versus attitude debate, whatever. I've made my peace with them being the way they are. Oh wow, they have bad reviews posted on their walls - that's so ironic & anti-establishment. Oh wow, they treat me like a dick when i order a taco - that's so edgy! Who knew i was in the presence of such uber-cool people?! That they even deign to serve us mere mortals I am forever in their gratitude...

Live and let live - I guess it's good to be the only game in [down]town.

PS: Publius - how did they "ban" you - did you sign your real name to a post & they compared that to your credit card? Did you put your picture in your post? I don't get how an anonymous post from a message board could get someone "banned"...

Posted on: 2009/4/27 18:59

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/7/18 17:14
Group:
Registered Users
All right, I was just going to let my last experience slide but the discussion bubbling on the home page has prodded me to share.

So, about six months ago I go to Taqueria for dinner. My boys 13 and 7 at the time, love the tacos and the Mexican sweets you buy afterward. I basically liked the place and regularly patronized (but also not denying some of the distinctive traits of the place, e.g. e.g. bald supercilious counter guy, the on again off again take out service, the capricious decision to close early on some nights, etc.). But hey, this a fallen world and perfection awaits the Escalon.

Yea, back to my last visit. We place our order. I pay with my credit card. Kids reasonably well behaved and we take our seats. Ten minutes later, the youngish latino guy comes up to the table, bends down, and glares in my face saying: \"You can leave now, or you can wait till I put your food in a bag and then you can leave\" or words to that effect.

I was confused? Was the restaurant closing. Had Homeland Security said clear public places? Or maybe I wasn't hearing him correctly? \"What are you talking about. We\'re eating our food here. We ordered it and paid for it. We\'re regulars? \" I said.

The guy says. \"No you are leaving.\' I look dumfounded and he explains: \"People who put negative posts on JC list are not welcome\"

I asked to see the owner and was told that she did not want to talk to me. What a great feeling. Being ejected from a taco stand. Kids were embarrassed, then they howled with laughter at my expense. Ouch. Other diners, I don\'t know what they thought. Now evertime we pass by, its a story (that the place that banned Dad).

Now, I worked in restaurants for like 15 years as dish washer, prep guy, sous chef, line chef, busboy, bartender and waiter. I know it can be a hard slog. I know people can be difficult. I know waiters and staff can have bad days. But what is this about? I mean I was a waiter and bartender in Paris and even there, no one restaurateur would ever behave like this. I remeber a client who demanded that he be given a French waiter, not an American illegal! Initially, I was furious but then calmed down and served him professionally.

I am pretty surprised too. Apparently, the owner reads these postings religiously and remembers them like an Elephant. (My offending post was at least months old- perhaps years old. In it, I had basically said the same thing as everybody else- good food, some tone deaf approaches to clients. I gave a specific example, however, which apparently led to my being blacklisted. I recounted that they had tried to prevent me from having my kids wash their hands in the bathroom while the plumber worked on the toilette one evening. Ok maybe we should have just eaten the tacos with hands encrusted with all the microbes of the PATH and Number 2 Line. My point had been that you don\'t sell people food to eat if you don\'t have the ability to have them wash their hands).

Maybe a little attitude is charming and gives a place character. But Taquieria, I think you are overdoing it.

Posted on: 2009/4/27 18:48

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/11/27 15:56
Group:
Registered Users
I agree with robotjustin about the taco stand in union city,
closest thing to an LA taco. It's near the corner of 31st and Bergenline. I had the pork tacos - really amazing! There is also a truck on the other side of the street selling fresh fruit juice, shakes and corn on the cob. It's so worth the trip! Make an afternoon of it and also stop by Mi Bandera Supermarket, they have a wide selection of Latin American foods and it's also a great place for finding a unique gift for a housewarming party.
They have a unique selection of small kitchen accessories, and if you're into mate tea you can find a nice variety of mate tea gourds. There is also a restaurant upstairs, the food is outstanding, much better than Hard Grove and La Congita.

Posted on: 2009/4/27 18:23

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/5/5 19:45
Group:
Banned
The Merchant lets you call in an order to pick up. Taqueria doesn't.

Which of these two businesses treats its customers like scam artists? Hmmmm.

Oh, and i'm pretty sure the oblique reference to the "popular breakfast place" was to Beechwood.

Posted on: 2009/4/27 18:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
when compared to a lot of popular places in downtown where the service is atrocious, such as a popular breakfast spot on Grove

not sure which spot you are refering too, but here was my Merchant experience last night:

I place to go order, let them know I am running to the fruit/veg stand will be back in 10. bartender asks for my CC while I am gone. after a brief "are you #OOPS#ing serious" glance from me (I am somewhat regular and have never skipped on a tab or failed to pick up?), I tell him I will pay in cash. bartender proceeds to take 3+ minutes on the reg attempting to ring up my order. Once this incredible task is completed I pay my ::gasp:: 21+ for burger/chix fingers...

.... and he has to pay out 10 cents of my change in pennies. which i left on the bar. because I'm a nice guy (lol).

anyway, I'm done with that place. $12 burger is way more "obnoxious" then any sign at taqueria, where I am not treated like a scam artist (or whatever the F that was all about).

Posted on: 2009/4/27 17:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
The issue with Taqueria is for the price, why skimp?

honestly have no idea how to react to this. imo, they are hands down the best value for dollar in the area. You can get quite a spread for $20.

Quote:
I find the "pillow size burritos" line on the menu a tad arrogant and a little obnoxious.

good! cuz, like, who cares? it's a joke. I think it's hilarious, you don't. if i didn't think it was funny I certainly wouldn't be offended. like, "omg! how dare they mock something I love!?!". Jokes and jokes and jokes and jokes...

Quote:
I'm guessing they may have been burned one too many times from people not picking their food up. Perhaps a credit card guarantee at the time of order?

yeah, if that's the case i understand. a little frustrating as I live around the corner.

Quote:
Phil and Andrea have always had a kind word for me, my wife and my friends who routinely eat there for lunch and dinner.

they are the best small business owners I have run across in town.

Posted on: 2009/4/27 17:05

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/10/17 17:52
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

phDog wrote:
if you get it, you get it. if you dont, move on.

A-f'n-men. Though I'm excited to try some of the places mentioned in Bayonne, Taqueria is a godsend for downtown residents who want good, quickly prepared food at a very reasonable price. The ingredients are always fresh tasting and from what I understand from friends who know better than me there is a great level of authenticity from the perspective of Mexican street food. A lack of elements that some consider authentic does not diminish the authenticity of the items that are offered. The service is good - especially when compared to a lot of popular places in downtown where the service is atrocious, such as a popular breakfast spot on Grove - and personally never experienced anything close to rudeness. Phil and Andrea have always had a kind word for me, my wife and my friends who routinely eat there for lunch and dinner.

I like guacamole too, but when I want guacamole or pico de gallo or any other item that any number of other Mexican restaurants have I simply don't go to Taqueria. Problem solved. That was easy.

Posted on: 2009/4/27 16:25

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/2/7 1:54
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

4bailey wrote:
Taqueria has been on our neighborhood regular rotation for years. We?re very pleased with the food and happy to have them here. But,?

Quote:

Abe_Froman wrote:
...I do have one complaint though: they stopped taking call in-pick up orders. Nothing worse than getting stuck behind a party of 8 Hoboken looking folks that take 2 minutes a piece ordering.

+1. Gotta agree!

Phil / Andrea ? would you ever reconsider taking calls for pick-up orders??...

I'm guessing they may have been burned one too many times from people not picking their food up. Perhaps a credit card guarantee at the time of order?

Posted on: 2009/4/27 16:13

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/6/17 18:59
From Hudson Co.
Group:
Registered Users
The issue with Taqueria is for the price, why skimp? I've been to LA many times, San Diego, many times, and had the opportunity to dine from taco trucks, and little stands in both cities. The big difference between them and Taqueria is that out in CA, they LOAD up the tacos, enchilada's, etc...

To each his/her own, I guess.

Posted on: 2009/4/27 16:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/9/9 13:46
From Intersection of Venerated @ Ensconced
Group:
Registered Users
Taqueria has been on our neighborhood regular rotation for years. We?re very pleased with the food and happy to have them here. But,?

Quote:

Abe_Froman wrote:
...I do have one complaint though: they stopped taking call in-pick up orders. Nothing worse than getting stuck behind a party of 8 Hoboken looking folks that take 2 minutes a piece ordering.

+1. Gotta agree!

Phil / Andrea ? would you ever reconsider taking calls for pick-up orders??...

Posted on: 2009/4/27 15:20
"Dogs are our link to paradise." - Milan Kundera

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Got to love this thread.

i would guess that the majority of "disapointment" can be attributed to high expectations that are the result of endless buzz and props for this place. Would guess another large percentage goes to issues with it's untraditional nature of service.

In either case, who cares. People who know know. People who need to be pampered, or "wowed" by tacos were never going to like it (stick with Dos Cominos, perhaps?).

Cheap quality eats served by chill neighborhood folks. period.

I do have one complaint though: they stopped taking call in-pick up orders. Nothing worse than getting stuck behind a party of 8 Hoboken looking folks that take 2 minutes a piece ordering.

Posted on: 2009/4/27 15:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/10/2 20:19
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

however, the cowboys suck.

So true. And if you like the Cowboys, you're inaut?ntico Mexicano.

Right?

GIANTS!

Posted on: 2009/4/27 13:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/10/30 14:07
Group:
Registered Users
i dont think its pretentious or operated by douchebags. they are doing something very specific there, gastronomically. the owners seem to be very passionate about replicating the street/homestyle food of a particular region. its probably food that is near and dear to thier hearts. who are we to judge what they choose NOT to sell?

if you get it, you get it. if you dont, move on.

I've been eating thier tacos since they had the little cart outside of city hall (before they had to move across the street!) and i've always enjoyed them. I think they are a great addition to our neighborhood.

however, the cowboys suck.

Posted on: 2009/4/27 13:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/5/16 16:22
From beneath the jumping sheep
Group:
Registered Users
I've never had a problem at Taqueria, nor have any of my many friends who've gone there on my recommendation. And apparently, none of the many folks who flock there for dinner or even takeout have, either.

Anyway, looking forward to the two-block parade for Cinco de Mayo this Friday!

Quote:

TheTacoTruck wrote:
Heavy is the head that wears the crown. Hey, we'll take all the "eff you's" and "garbage" and "overrated" and "horrible service" but putting down our music is where we draw the line. It's probably a generational thing.

Posted on: 2009/4/27 4:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/27 0:25
Group:
Registered Users
OK, people seem to disagree vehemently on the food there, but damn, I want those AC/DC barstools!

Posted on: 2009/4/27 1:33

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/6/17 18:59
From Hudson Co.
Group:
Registered Users
Based on the recommendations for El Aguila, we took a short drive down there for lunch today. Dear God that place is so kick ass! The homemade salsa to start everything off was good! Spicy, but good.

The tacos were really good and the enchiladas were MASSIVE! They were served with rice, beans, a ton of cheese, and gigantic slices of avocado. All that for 9 dollars.

We then were the ultimate fat kids and went to this little ice cream parlor on 41st and Broadway. Great shakes and sugar free ice cream!

We will be going back to El Aguila. Excellent and authentic Mexican.

Posted on: 2009/4/27 1:15

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/12/22 22:35
Group:
Banned
Heavy is the head that wears the crown. Hey, we'll take all the "eff you's" and "garbage" and "overrated" and "horrible service" but putting down our music is where we draw the line. It's probably a generational thing.

Posted on: 2009/4/27 0:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/6/20 2:33
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

MrGrieves wrote:
I haven't seen such venom about a restaurant since, uh, well, you know.

+1. And so many of those who say they hate it seem awfully familiar with it.

Posted on: 2009/4/27 0:16

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/23 12:49
Group:
Registered Users
Tried this place once upon recommendations from this board and also never went back.

Posted on: 2009/4/26 23:41

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/24 13:31
Group:
Banned
I haven't seen such venom about a restaurant since, uh, well, you know. Fwiw, you get what you pay for. That is, excellent inexpensive fast ethnic food. As for attitude, I never had a problem. As for not being able to phone in orders, I haven't done so for a while but I was always accommodated. My only beef is Phil's terrible taste in music. -)

Posted on: 2009/4/26 22:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

TheTacoTruck wrote:
Most of these posts can be read on Taqueria's wall as you walk in. Our customers always get a kick out of them.

Funny.

Posted on: 2009/4/26 19:25

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/12/22 22:35
Group:
Banned
Most of these posts can be read on Taqueria's wall as you walk in. Our customers always get a kick out of them.

Posted on: 2009/4/26 19:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Not sure if I am in the mood today for Mexican with the "Swine Flu" going around - but when I get the nerve up - does this place deliver downtown?

Quote:

kitten wrote:
We just ordered El Mixteco for the first time last week... authentic and delicious. The chipotle chicken was HOT HOT HOT and the tacos ? perfect! They are located at 557 Palisade Avenue in the Heights, if anyone wants to try it... bueno.

Their number is 201.386.9995. Free delivery in Jersey City (although not sure if that means ALL OF Jersey City.)

Posted on: 2009/4/26 19:13

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/12/16 23:23
From Greenville
Group:
Registered Users
Finally! I'm not the only one. I always thought Taqueria has the blandest mexican food around and horrible service. I don't even think the Mexicans who work in the back would eat it.

+2 Charrito's as I've said in other threads. The one in the Heights or West New York. I always say it's a good sign when you see Mexicans eating at a Mexican restaurant....the food might be authentic.

Posted on: 2009/4/26 18:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/1/10 17:34
Group:
Registered Users
+1 for Charritos. Don't have to wait at the Hoboken one anymore. The one in the heights isn't as fancy inside but the food is just as great.

Posted on: 2009/4/26 17:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/1/21 20:29
Group:
Registered Users
We just ordered El Mixteco for the first time last week... authentic and delicious. The chipotle chicken was HOT HOT HOT and the tacos ? perfect! They are located at 557 Palisade Avenue in the Heights, if anyone wants to try it... bueno.

Their number is 201.386.9995. Free delivery in Jersey City (although not sure if that means ALL OF Jersey City.)

Posted on: 2009/4/26 17:21

« 1 ... 14 15 16 (17) 18 19 20 ... 24 »

Register To PostTopic is Locked

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017