Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
132 user(s) are online (109 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 132

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Fight Back JC - Let's clean this place up, it is not impossible
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/6/3 19:00
From Heights - NE Corner
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

CapnJon wrote:
google search any of these:

The Heights Coalition:
Washington Park Association of Hudson County, Riverview Neighborhood Association, Inc., Heights Hope Neighborhood Association, The Hope Center, Pershing Field Garden Friends, Central Avenue Special Improvement District, New York Avenue Block Association, PS 8 Neighborhood Block Association, AARP, Heights Community Relations Council

Also the Washington Park Association. if you're up that way.

Posted on: 2009/4/3 20:20

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/11/8 21:22
Group:
Registered Users
This is sometimes helpful. I've used it successfully 3 times. You can also attach photos to whatever complaint you are emailing them about. They cleaned up the outside of a burnt out apartment building (piles of trash in vestibule and on sidewalk) and sent the owners the bill.

http://mygovhelp.com/jerseycitynj/

Posted on: 2009/4/3 19:35

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/5/24 21:03
Group:
Registered Users
That is of great help - I will be using this number for sure. The longer the eyesore sits there, the more rewarding it is for the vandal.

Thanks to all those that provided me with info to contact local groups/politicians - I already made a few calls.

I wouldlove to hear more, your success stories/failures while attempting to make change in the community.

Posted on: 2009/4/3 19:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/2/9 14:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

snorky wrote:
I have called the cops a half dozen times on noisy neighbors (3-4am LOUD parties) and someone trespassing - I cannot see that ever leading to "getting busted" for a nuiance calls. If it does and I get scolded for trying to keep the neighborhood more peaceful and safe, then there are bigger issues here.

I like the responses so far.

what about a solution to the graffiti - I understand we need to get the youth off the streets but there will always be the strays that tag the area - can we develop a cleaning organization and or hotlines to report taggers? A new sign goes up and days later a new tag is written, scratched or painted on it.

Same goes for litter - only animals live intheir own filth. Is there any place we can call to report a chronic litterer? I have seen people unwrap a candy bar and then purposely walk to the curb to throw out their trash as if it was a trash bin. I heard that homeowners were once responsible for litter on their property, if they did not clean it the would be fined. Is legislation like that being discussed at this time. a) it would make money for the city, b) would hold the citizens responsible to for being part of the solution, c) may lead to less street litter - less streetsweepers. Maybe it is a dream, but I never had a littering problem in any comunity I lived in until now. The JCPD could also walk the main roads and hand out fines to litterers, even if it is only a couple times a month - once peple find out JC is cracking down on litter there will be more thought before tossing a wrapper ont he ground. Is there any solution you can come up with? I want to write to the politicians running for office for this election, but would like to do so with the most refined solutions I can come up with.

For Graffiti removal call the JCIA Graffiti Coordinator Pat Farulla 201-432-4645 ext. 634. I have called numerous times and they have come out and removed the graffiti, it may take them a week...usually less ( due to the large amount of graffiti they deal with) but they will come and sandblast or paint over it! Hope this helps.

Posted on: 2009/4/3 18:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/8/5 3:20
From Jersey City Heights
Group:
Registered Users
google search any of these:

The Heights Coalition:
Washington Park Association of Hudson County, Riverview Neighborhood Association, Inc., Heights Hope Neighborhood Association, The Hope Center, Pershing Field Garden Friends, Central Avenue Special Improvement District, New York Avenue Block Association, PS 8 Neighborhood Block Association, AARP, Heights Community Relations Council

Posted on: 2009/4/3 16:48

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/8/6 17:44
Group:
Banned
[quote]
snorky wrote:
I am not downtown, I am in the Heights. Any recommendations for groups up here?[quote]

I am relatively new to the Heights myself - 8 months. I attended the mayoral forum last night, and was hoping more of the local community groups would have a table, be leafleting, etc.

Snorky and others - please let me know what you find out, and send suggestions and contacts for groups to get involved with my way. I am on Sherman Avenue, between Franklin and Hutton. Thanks!

Posted on: 2009/4/3 16:37

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/11/25 14:47
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
snorky - check your pm.

Posted on: 2009/4/3 15:56

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I am not downtown, I am in the Heights. Any recommendations for groups up here? I have been in touch with local politicians and community leaders - discussed the problems at length, but I want to go beyond that. I would love to be part of a community watch group.

I am fairly new to the area (two years) and last year my wife was expecting, this year was focused on raising my daughter. Now that she is a little older and parenting is not as new and scary I am figuring out how to use my time to make the community better (among other things). So this is my real entry to the world of community work.

JC is a big place and Heights, downtown, Journal Square pr whatever area you live in, we are all neighbors and each of out individual issues will have some effect on the others.

Posted on: 2009/4/3 15:32

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I have called the cops a half dozen times on noisy neighbors (3-4am LOUD parties) and someone trespassing - I cannot see that ever leading to "getting busted" for a nuiance calls. If it does and I get scolded for trying to keep the neighborhood more peaceful and safe, then there are bigger issues here.

I like the responses so far.

what about a solution to the graffiti - I understand we need to get the youth off the streets but there will always be the strays that tag the area - can we develop a cleaning organization and or hotlines to report taggers? A new sign goes up and days later a new tag is written, scratched or painted on it.

Same goes for litter - only animals live intheir own filth. Is there any place we can call to report a chronic litterer? I have seen people unwrap a candy bar and then purposely walk to the curb to throw out their trash as if it was a trash bin. I heard that homeowners were once responsible for litter on their property, if they did not clean it the would be fined. Is legislation like that being discussed at this time. a) it would make money for the city, b) would hold the citizens responsible to for being part of the solution, c) may lead to less street litter - less streetsweepers. Maybe it is a dream, but I never had a littering problem in any comunity I lived in until now. The JCPD could also walk the main roads and hand out fines to litterers, even if it is only a couple times a month - once peple find out JC is cracking down on litter there will be more thought before tossing a wrapper ont he ground. Is there any solution you can come up with? I want to write to the politicians running for office for this election, but would like to do so with the most refined solutions I can come up with.

Posted on: 2009/4/3 15:24

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/8 23:34
From The Italian Village
Group:
Registered Users
Hi snorky,

Just curious, have you attended any of the Downtown JC Watch monthly meetings held at Grace Church in Erie Street? Actually, are you part of their mailing list? Check out their postings in JCList under "Downtown Jersey City Watch-Updates Thread". You can subscribe to the list by sending an e-mail to downtownjcwatch@gmail.com .

How about the community meetings (Harsimus Cove, Italian Village, Hamilton Park, etc), do you attend any of them on a regulr basis? If not, I strongly encourage you to do so, also great way to meet your neighbors.

Many of the issues you mention in your post are discussed at these meetings and yes, some of us do get involved and take some action. I do my little part to the community by reporting streetlights that are out to PSE&G, report trash issues to JCIA and even pick up trash from the streets (trash in JC is also a big issue for me!), participate in a block watch, keep my neighbors informed about upcoming community meetings and any other events or incidents. A litle bit done my many can go a long ways...

Captain McDonough from the East District also holds the monthly Captain's meeting at Middle School#4 on Bright Street, perfect venue to bring up issues to the police department's attention.

Have a good weekend and hope to see you in action...

Posted on: 2009/4/3 15:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/1/10 17:34
Group:
Registered Users
Back when I used to live on Erie, I heard some kids breaking bottles in front of our building. So I climbed on the roof and threw water balloons at them. I got most of em! Getting involved in the community is very important especially when dealing with the younger generations.

Posted on: 2009/4/3 14:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/18 19:17
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
thank you for the link, Amy. (Snorky, she did what's called "offering a solution." watch and learn.)

I'm working with the JC branch of Habitat for Humanity to get local high schoolers involved with builds in exchange for class credits. if anyone's interested, PM me.

Posted on: 2009/4/3 12:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/27 0:25
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
snorky wrote:
My recommendation is call the cops before there is an incident. If you must, stretch the truth to get the cops there to put people in order.

Go ahead, knock yourself out. Let us know how many phone calls it takes before you get busted by JCPD for making nuisance calls.

Posted on: 2009/4/3 12:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/7/16 11:48
Group:
Registered Users
Here's an idea for you...
I think a big problem in JC is that there is not enough effort to bring the community together. JC has creative people who might lend their time, knowledge, and talents to young people in the city. The idea came from something that Newark has. I don't know if JC has anything like this or not, but there ought to be some kind of after school program or something like that. I know I'll get flamed for being too vague, but whatever.
Check this out:

http://glassroots.mjmi.com/

Posted on: 2009/4/3 11:55

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
"thanks for playing"??? I had you pegged on your first post, now it is confirmed. Biscuit, you are the lazy guest at the BBQ that does not bring anything to the party, drinks all the free beer he can, eats all the free food he can and then complains later that the party was a bust.

Stick around, just offer something.

If you do not like what I have to say then point out the flaws, but coming back every day and saying this is a waste of time is a COMPLETE waste of everyone's time.

If anyone has any ideas please post and I and others (maybe even jcbiscuit) will try to be constructive and hopefully make JC a better place.

Posted on: 2009/4/3 11:28

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/8/19 21:53
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

snorky wrote:

I did not say lie to the cops...

"If you must, stretch the truth to get the cops there to put people in order." - snorky

I guess it depends on what "is" is.

Posted on: 2009/4/3 2:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
again, you've offered no solutions. only more complaints. thanks for playing.

Posted on: 2009/4/3 2:17

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
What would you do without me? Exactly what you have been doing... nothing. People love to sit by and watch while things get worse and worse. Instead of posting a blanket replay to my comment, try adding to it or adding some details as to what you would like to do.

I posted because I wanted to open a forum to help fix the issues, but I guess discussing anything is even too much work. Post snide comments and then head back to Twitter.

I did not say lie to the cops, simply do not wait some thug with a gun to shoot before you make a call - prevent, don't react.

The police are here to serve and protect, not take reports after an incident. If people are seeing drug deals as they continue to post over and over - CALL THE POLICE, take pictures, send them to the newspaper, write down license plate numbers - act, don't complain.

What is your solution? The plice are the first line of defense. What did you expect me to suggest, vigilante type actions.

Start with calling the police, not complaining on a board that you don't like others' suggestions while you sit on your hands.

Posted on: 2009/4/3 1:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
wow. I clicked on this thread thinking it might contain some helpful solutions to the problems JC faces.

instead, we have another rant, listing the obvious, with a brilliant solution: call the cops.

wait, don't just call the cops. call them and LIE.

brilliant, Snorky. what did we ever do without you?

Posted on: 2009/4/2 22:05

Fight Back JC - Let's clean this place up, it is not impossible

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I have lived in JCH for about 2 years now. I love it. What I do not love are scumbags and trash that do any or all of the following. IF SOMEONE IS A PROBLEM CALL THE COPS:
1) throw their trash on the ground - I do not care what country you come from, in this country that is not tolerated (or should not be). Hold your trash, put it in trash can.

2) tagging or graffiti - these lowlifes should have their hands glued shut. Spray painting buildings and homes is bad enough, but spraying a landmark with a tag is just play classless and disrespectful.

3) intimidating or harassing regular citizens. No mother, senior citizen or anyone else for that matter should have to hear curse words and trash talk when just walking in the park.

4) loud and obnoxious music - I can sit in my backyard with ten friends - eating, drinking and having fun - no one else is affected. Sadly, some people have to constantly scream every conversation and play very loud music late into the night (4am).

5) drug dealing and gangs - any actions like these should end in prison. "Yes we can!" Not if we have trash focused more on ruining this city than bettering themselves. Black, white, latino, asian, middle eastern - in a gang then you are trash and should turn yourself in for your prison sentence, it is coming eventually.

I am sure there are more things, but this says enough.

My recommendation is call the cops before there is an incident. If you must, stretch the truth to get the cops there to put people in order. If the scum of the earth feel that they are being watched at all times they will move elsewhere to conducting their shady dealings.

Let's take out the trash.

Posted on: 2009/4/2 21:30

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017