Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
96 user(s) are online (80 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 96

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Whew! Made it. 48 candidates meet filing deadline for municipal elections
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/25 20:40
From somewhere else
Group:
Registered Users
DJ - you're kidding right? Your logic seems to be (and I'm paraphrasing): "Since we all drink now and then, some more than others, it's okay if the mayor is drunk from time to time." Why should we settle for the lowest common denominator? Why shouldn't we look for someone with the qualities that appeal to the best in us, or what we aspire to be and not settle for the guy who'd be fun at a barbecue?

And I agree with the sentiment that the voters don't owe politicians anything. How could things have gotten so upside down that someone could actually say otherwise, let alone believe it? THE MAYOR IS A SERVANT OF THE PEOPLE. WE PAY HIM TO, AT A MINIMUM, SHOW UP SOBER AND KEEP HIS PANTS ON IN PUBLIC. We also hope he'll leave the city a better place than when he came into office. That means different things to different people, but he is our employee - he, and the thousands of people he has stuffed into city hall.

Should we respect the office? Certainly (although it's hard to when the occupant doesn't seem to.) Should we be deferential to the man in the office? Hopefully. But do we owe him anything? Are we obligated to listen to your infomercial or take his marketing materials? Give me a break. There are a million ways to get objective information on a candidate and picking up their ad circular is not one of them.

I'll grant you, it'd be nice if people were more civil (dare to dream - courteous?) in how they treat their neighbors on the streets. If you are bummed because people don't acknowledge you as you are out and about with your Healy ads, I can understand that. But if you are upset because people have formed opinions of the man based on his years in office and don't want to take your propaganda, you might want to consider a different line of work.

Posted on: 2009/4/2 17:36

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/4/4 10:44
Group:
Banned
Response to caj11's POST #23.

donaldj asked question#4 below.

4.\"My point is, regardless of who you may be voting for courtesy should be extended to all candidates.\"

Caj's Response:

What courtesy exactly do you want? He has every right to run for mayor again, he got his signatures but I simply feel that there is no way he could convince me he is worthy of my vote, because actions speak louder than words and he should not waste his time with me. But if I walk by a table with someone campaigning for Healy, I'll acknowledge their existence, pick up a brochure and go about my business. Does that make you happy?[/quote]

DONALDj's response:

Yes caj11 this does make me happy, and I commend you for taking that piece of literature off of a volunteer despite your negative feelings about the candidate. That is the courtesy I was describing which I had found to be lacking while out campaigning downtown. After all, besides everything else which was discussed on this board after my original post common courtesy is all my original post was actually about.

Posted on: 2009/4/2 12:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/30 19:51
Group:
Registered Users
[/quote]

First caj11, I would like to say you have written what at least in my mind is a valid argument contrary to the position I had taken in post #4 . My argument to you is, regardless of whether people think what the Mayor is selling BS really isn\'t the point. Rather than pass by a candidate or one of his workers with not so much as acknowledging them is just wrong. Why not stop and talk, ask a question, tell them how you feel, just be courteous? I will not argue that the Mayor likes to have a libation now and again, and maybe he indulges more than I myself would prefer him to. But, a large majority of us have indulged more than we should have, probably on more than one occasion. As long as this does not affect the job he is doing for Jersey City and is done on his own time it is his business. You mention what happened on his front stoop in 2004; Well it was very well publicized then and as we know he was elected by a majority vote AFTER this incident, and this is now old news and in the past. As for the Mayors conviction in Bradley Beach, I cannot stand here without being a hypocrit and say I\'m happy that this happened, nor will I represent on this board that he was somehow the victim of overzealous police, which I\'m certain many of my detractors on this board would expect me to say. the Mayor went through the criminal justice system and the matter was decided by the same system which you and I and everyone else is accountable to and I accept it and so should he. But it is wrong to criticize the Mayor for exhausting every right which he is entitled to within our system, such as the right to appeal and the right to litigate the matter in Civil Court. You further wrote: \"My opinion, based on the events reported in the media, is that he is not fit for office. That my friend is the democratic process.\" Well that is not the opinion of Hudson County Assignment Judge Gallipolli and the New Jersey Appeals Court who has just thrown out a lawsuit by former Sherriff Joe Cassidy who sought to have the Mayor disqualified from running for office as not being fit, Sherriff Cassidy\'s suit was thrown out by BOTH courts, and the voters will now decide on May 12. And that my friend is the judicial process. My point is, regardless of who you may be voting for courtesy should be extended to all candidates.[/quote]

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Apparently I screwed up the quoting mechanism when I posted this and I can't figure out how to fix it. Everything about that dotted line is DanielJ's words, everything below it are mine (except of course, where I've quote him).

Since we're so focused on Healy here, perhaps this thread should be merged with that other one where it is discussed that he is way ahead in the polls (please let those polls be wrong). Its clear you are associated with his campaign or are a friend of his, and I\'m not going to sway you on my opinion of Healy. But, I must refute at least some of what you\'ve said...

1.\"I will not argue that the Mayor likes to have a libation now and again, and maybe he indulges more than I myself would prefer him to. But, a large majority of us have indulged more than we should have, probably on more than one occasion. As long as this does not affect the job he is doing for Jersey City and is done on his own time it is his business. \"

As a mayor of the second-largest city in New Jersey (or any city in this state), he is subject to a higher standard of behavior than the general population. You want to be a leader, demonstrate leadership abilities. Getting drunk in public, even on your own time, is evidence of a poor leader. And yes, it does affect his job - have you seen how dysfunctional our city government is? My experiences with the Office of Construction Code Official, the Parking Authority, the Finance Office, the filth on the sidewalks, the increased crime and the higher property taxes are all evidence of that. The phones barely get answered at so many city departments, or they go into voicemail that never gets returned. Some city employees do a great job (office of Historic Preservation is an example), but morale is clearly low among city employees, and you can\'t say Healy has nothing to do with this.

2.\"But it is wrong to criticize the Mayor for exhausting every right which he is entitled to within our system, such as the right to appeal and the right to litigate the matter in Civil Court.\"

Going to civil court was absolutely his right. But if he was already convicted in the criminal system, what was his civil suit motivated by other than revenge against people who were simply doing their job?

What would a verdict in his favor in the civil court achieve if the criminal court had decided against him?

Extra $$ in his pocket?

Civil courts cannot force anyone to give an apology, especially when it was for doing something that was part of their job as a police officer, having arrested someone on charges that were proven in a court of law. What would you have to say if this had happened to one of the other Mayoral candidates?

3.\"Judge Gallipolli and the New Jersey Appeals Court who has just thrown out a lawsuit by former Sherriff Joe Cassidy who sought to have the Mayor disqualified from running for office as not being fit, Sherriff Cassidy\'s suit was thrown out by BOTH courts, and the voters will now decide on May 12.\"

The Judge made his decision, presumably interpreted the law correctly, and Healy has every right to finish out his term. That was the judicial process. But doesn\'t mean I agree with what the Judge decided. Judges have to make tough decisions every day and there\'s no way they can please everyone in their interpretations of the law.

4.\"My point is, regardless of who you may be voting for courtesy should be extended to all candidates.\"

What courtesy exactly do you want? He has every right to run for mayor again, he got his signatures but I simply feel that there is no way he could convince me he is worthy of my vote, because actions speak louder than words and he should not waste his time with me. But if I walk by a table with someone campaigning for Healy, I'll acknowledge their existence, pick up a brochure and go about my business. Does that make you happy?

Furthermore, I don't think he, his aides or campaign staff really care whether they have my ear or not. I have numerous emails and made phone calls to city hall on various issues and have heard absolutely zero response. I have written emails to the Healy campaign and heard zero response. I have called the Team Healy campaign office and not once does the phone get picked up there (unlike campaign offices of other candidates, where somebody is often there to to talk to you). I could leave a message, but what\'s the point? All I\'m going to get is a volunteer with a pre-programmed script saying the same things about Healy that you\'ve said on this message board. If I'm not a real estate developer who can donate large sums of money to the campaign, my voice simply falls on deaf ears.

Posted on: 2009/4/2 6:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/4/29 16:55
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

donaldj wrote:
Quote:

mwa7368 wrote:
Quote:

Rather than pass by a candidate or one of his workers with not so much as acknowledging them is just wrong. Why not stop and talk, ask a question, tell them how you feel, just be courteous?

This statement makes we want to pass by even more, everyday! To think that the citizens owe anything to the candidates is absolutely ridiculous. Don't get upset that I don't stop and chit-chat, time is money baby and I'm not giving you any during my commute. If you want my vote it's your responsibility to figure out how to get it, if giving handouts at the PATH station and boasting don't work then try something new. I look forward to the debates.

Reference to post #18: I beg to differ, when you write: Citizens don't "owe anything to the candidates". Citizens owe it to themselves to obtain any and all information which is out there in order to permit themselves to make an informed vote. You write: "time is money baby and I'm not giving you any during my commute". and you continue to opine "If you want my vote its your responsibility to figure out how to get it". People in our country have died defending the democratic freedoms you currently enjoy and which you cavaliery dismiss in your post. I am certain the families of serviceman who have died in the service of their country would really appreciate your condescending attitude, and also the soldiers of all past wars who have been in muddy foxholes with bombs and bullets flying all around them. "Time is money baby", this is a shamefull attitude and hopefully exclusive only to you.

Give me a break DJ, just cause I won't give a political badgerer the time of day doesn't mean I won't be informed and exercising my hard earned and defended voting right on election day. I will get my information from third party trusted sources if at all possible. What can I say, I don't have much trust for politicians. What they say to my face I couldn't care less about, it's their record I'm interested in and I need not speak with them to obtain it. Thank you for reinforcing my statement that the citizens do not owe anything to the candidates, you are correct that they owe it to themselves to be informed but that is a completely different statement, very political of you. I suspect a little Healy in training.

Posted on: 2009/4/1 18:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/11/1 17:27
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

donaldj wrote:
My argument to you is, regardless of whether people think what the Mayor is selling BS really isn't the point. Rather than pass by a candidate or one of his workers with not so much as acknowledging them is just wrong. Why not stop and talk, ask a question, tell them how you feel, just be courteous? I will not argue that the Mayor likes to have a libation now and again, and maybe he indulges more than I myself would prefer him to. But, a large majority of us have indulged more than we should have, probably on more than one occasion. As long as this does not affect the job he is doing for Jersey City and is done on his own time it is his business. You mention what happened on his front stoop in 2004; Well it was very well publicized then and as we know he was elected by a majority vote AFTER this incident, and this is now old news and in the past. As for the Mayors conviction in Bradley Beach, I cannot stand here without being a hypocrit and say I'm happy that this happened, nor will I represent on this board that he was somehow the victim of overzealous police, which I'm certain many of my detractors on this board would expect me to say. the Mayor went through the criminal justice system and the matter was decided by the same system which you and I and everyone else is accountable to and I accept it and so should he. But it is wrong to criticize the Mayor for exhausting every right which he is entitled to within our system, such as the right to appeal and the right to litigate the matter in Civil Court. You further wrote: "My opinion, based on the events reported in the media, is that he is not fit for office. That my friend is the democratic process." Well that is not the opinion of Hudson County Assignment Judge Gallipolli and the New Jersey Appeals Court who has just thrown out a lawsuit by former Sherriff Joe Cassidy who sought to have the Mayor disqualified from running for office as not being fit, Sherriff Cassidy's suit was thrown out by BOTH courts, and the voters will now decide on May 12. And that my friend is the judicial process. My point is, regardless of who you may be voting for courtesy should be extended to all candidates.

First, you are out there bothering people, probably on their way to or from work. You know nothing about them. They could be well informed. Just cause they don't acknowledge you doesn't mean squat. Is it a bit rude, yes, but understand we live in a society where if someone says hi and you say hi back and what to keep moving, people will pressure you. "can I talk to you for a minute?" Sometimes if you say no and they keep hassling you. Remember - you're ultimately imposing on their time to convince them of your opinions. And you shouldn't hide behind the democratic process when you get pissed off someone A-hole says get out of my way.

Secondly, I wonder how you would spin the Bradley incident if it was your opponent. My opinion is how people behave in public is indicative of their professional attitude. How can he govern the laws, when he can't even follow the simple ones?
(obey and respect the officer at hand)
What if he was loaded or hung over on 9/11 or other a small emergency? And that "it happened in the past" is a cop-out. Isn't what we've done in the past make us who we are? And doesn't our handling of those situations reflect on us? We're not talking college here, and just because he won one election doesn't mean everything that ever happened to him before that time is off the table.

Yes, I've held more than my share on a number of occasions - but I'm not asking people to trust me with safety and decision making in these hard times.

I actually haven't made up my mind about my mayoral vote. So instead of attacking back, realize that these are VALID concerns of JC citizens, and it won't be the last time you hear them from some one. And they way you will chose to respond is also a reflection on your candidate.

Again. Good luck. Campaigning isn't easy, and even if I don't like the candidate, I respect people volunteering for what they believe.

Posted on: 2009/4/1 15:16

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

mwa7368 wrote:
Quote:

Rather than pass by a candidate or one of his workers with not so much as acknowledging them is just wrong. Why not stop and talk, ask a question, tell them how you feel, just be courteous?

This statement makes we want to pass by even more, everyday! To think that the citizens owe anything to the candidates is absolutely ridiculous. Don't get upset that I don't stop and chit-chat, time is money baby and I'm not giving you any during my commute. If you want my vote it's your responsibility to figure out how to get it, if giving handouts at the PATH station and boasting don't work then try something new. I look forward to the debates.

Reference to post #18: I beg to differ, when you write: Citizens don't "owe anything to the candidates". Citizens owe it to themselves to obtain any and all information which is out there in order to permit themselves to make an informed vote. You write: "time is money baby and I'm not giving you any during my commute". and you continue to opine "If you want my vote its your responsibility to figure out how to get it". People in our country have died defending the democratic freedoms you currently enjoy and which you cavaliery dismiss in your post. I am certain the families of serviceman who have died in the service of their country would really appreciate your condescending attitude, and also the soldiers of all past wars who have been in muddy foxholes with bombs and bullets flying all around them. "Time is money baby", this is a shamefull attitude and hopefully exclusive only to you.

Posted on: 2009/4/1 14:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/10/27 13:13
From The fog.
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

donaldj wrote:
Quote:

caj11 wrote:
Quote:

donaldj wrote:
Quote:

mwa7368 wrote:
Save it for a debate...downtowners hate when people hand out literature...see "Kiosk Badgering at Newport Mall" post. If it was for Healy, nobody is gonna believe that BS he is selling anyway.

Point made, this is exactly the attitude I am talking about.

That isn't their attitude, it is their opinion of Healy. I don't know or care if you work for Healy's campaign or not but can you blame them for thinking what he sells is BS? It would appear that he has some kind of alcohol problem (I am only saying that it would it would appear), as evidenced by what happened in 2004 on his own front stoop and the events of 2006 in Bradley Beach. Not only was he proven guilty of obstruction of justice, a conviction that was upheld on appeal, he had the nerve to sue Bradley Beach and the two police officers for simply DOING THEIR JOB (thankfully that lawsuit was thrown out but the officers still had to take time out of their day to deal with it and it cost Bradley Beach some of its own resources). Suppose Healy was in the same situation in Jersey City. Would he sue the Jersey City police officers for doing their job, that are part of a department that he is technically the head of?

My OPINION (and only my opinion), based on the events reported in the media, is that he is not fit for office. That, my friend, is the democratic process.

First caj11, I would like to say you have written what at least in my mind is a valid argument contrary to the position I had taken in post #4 . My argument to you is, regardless of whether people think what the Mayor is selling BS really isn't the point. Rather than pass by a candidate or one of his workers with not so much as acknowledging them is just wrong. Why not stop and talk, ask a question, tell them how you feel, just be courteous? I will not argue that the Mayor likes to have a libation now and again, and maybe he indulges more than I myself would prefer him to. But, a large majority of us have indulged more than we should have, probably on more than one occasion. As long as this does not affect the job he is doing for Jersey City and is done on his own time it is his business. You mention what happened on his front stoop in 2004; Well it was very well publicized then and as we know he was elected by a majority vote AFTER this incident, and this is now old news and in the past. As for the Mayors conviction in Bradley Beach, I cannot stand here without being a hypocrit and say I'm happy that this happened, nor will I represent on this board that he was somehow the victim of overzealous police, which I'm certain many of my detractors on this board would expect me to say. the Mayor went through the criminal justice system and the matter was decided by the same system which you and I and everyone else is accountable to and I accept it and so should he. But it is wrong to criticize the Mayor for exhausting every right which he is entitled to within our system, such as the right to appeal and the right to litigate the matter in Civil Court. You further wrote: "My opinion, based on the events reported in the media, is that he is not fit for office. That my friend is the democratic process." Well that is not the opinion of Hudson County Assignment Judge Gallipolli and the New Jersey Appeals Court who has just thrown out a lawsuit by former Sherriff Joe Cassidy who sought to have the Mayor disqualified from running for office as not being fit, Sherriff Cassidy's suit was thrown out by BOTH courts, and the voters will now decide on May 12. And that my friend is the judicial process. My point is, regardless of who you may be voting for courtesy should be extended to all candidates.

If Mayor Healy has created change that we can already see, why the need to bother people making their way around town?

Posted on: 2009/4/1 14:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Posted on: 2009/4/1 14:25

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

caj11 wrote:
Quote:

donaldj wrote:
Quote:

mwa7368 wrote:
Save it for a debate...downtowners hate when people hand out literature...see "Kiosk Badgering at Newport Mall" post. If it was for Healy, nobody is gonna believe that BS he is selling anyway.

That isn't their attitude, it is their opinion of Healy. I don't know or care if you work for Healy's campaign or not but can you blame them for thinking what he sells is BS? It would appear that he has some kind of alcohol problem (I am only saying that it would it would appear), as evidenced by what happened in 2004 on his own front stoop and the events of 2006 in Bradley Beach. Not only was he proven guilty of obstruction of justice, a conviction that was upheld on appeal, he had the nerve to sue Bradley Beach and the two police officers for simply DOING THEIR JOB (thankfully that lawsuit was thrown out but the officers still had to take time out of their day to deal with it and it cost Bradley Beach some of its own resources). Suppose Healy was in the same situation in Jersey City. Would he sue the Jersey City police officers for doing their job, that are part of a department that he is technically the head of?

My OPINION (and only my opinion), based on the events reported in the media, is that he is not fit for office. That, my friend, is the democratic process.

First caj11, I would like to say you have written what at least in my mind is a valid argument contrary to the position I had taken in post #4 . My argument to you is, regardless of whether people think what the Mayor is selling BS really isn't the point. Rather than pass by a candidate or one of his workers with not so much as acknowledging them is just wrong. Why not stop and talk, ask a question, tell them how you feel, just be courteous? I will not argue that the Mayor likes to have a libation now and again, and maybe he indulges more than I myself would prefer him to. But, a large majority of us have indulged more than we should have, probably on more than one occasion. As long as this does not affect the job he is doing for Jersey City and is done on his own time it is his business. You mention what happened on his front stoop in 2004; Well it was very well publicized then and as we know he was elected by a majority vote AFTER this incident, and this is now old news and in the past. As for the Mayors conviction in Bradley Beach, I cannot stand here without being a hypocrit and say I'm happy that this happened, nor will I represent on this board that he was somehow the victim of overzealous police, which I'm certain many of my detractors on this board would expect me to say. the Mayor went through the criminal justice system and the matter was decided by the same system which you and I and everyone else is accountable to and I accept it and so should he. But it is wrong to criticize the Mayor for exhausting every right which he is entitled to within our system, such as the right to appeal and the right to litigate the matter in Civil Court. You further wrote: "My opinion, based on the events reported in the media, is that he is not fit for office. That my friend is the democratic process." Well that is not the opinion of Hudson County Assignment Judge Gallipolli and the New Jersey Appeals Court who has just thrown out a lawsuit by former Sherriff Joe Cassidy who sought to have the Mayor disqualified from running for office as not being fit, Sherriff Cassidy's suit was thrown out by BOTH courts, and the voters will now decide on May 12. And that my friend is the judicial process. My point is, regardless of who you may be voting for courtesy should be extended to all candidates.

Posted on: 2009/4/1 13:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/10/27 13:13
From The fog.
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

donaldj wrote:
Just an observation: I was out campaigning with several candidates participating in the upcoming municipal election. One thing that really struck me while being downtown was some of the extremely rude and condescending attitude of "many" of the people which we had encountered. Not to stereotype these people but i have to say that this attitude seemed to permeate from people who, at least to me looked to be newly arrived to this constantly gentrifying area of Jersey City. What is striking about this, is that these people are more than likely the biggest complainers and loudest critics of the administration, but when given the opportunity to either take a piece of literature or engage one of the actual office holders in a conversation they will just walk by and not even make eye contact. This is a shame, because THIS IS THE DEMOCRATIC PROCESS and minimally people should at least be respectfull to those who are participating in it. Before everyone starts saying that I'm picking on downtowners, I said "MANY" of the people not "all". Those people who act this way know who you are.

I sent this post through translation software. I set it on "Healy Suckup-to-English" and it came out this way:

"I was out handing out some BS election literature downtown. I was surprised at how many well-educated people asked us some very tough questions which we were ill-prepared to answer. Many of them wore suits and lived in new condos which were built on former mudpiles which sat stagnant for years while Jersey City politicians sat around with their thumb up their ass. Some refused the LITTERature and some didn't even acknowledge my existence. This is a shame because THIS IS THE JERSEY CITY WAY and people should vote for Healy. Mind you, I am not saying everyone behaved this way, but almost."

Posted on: 2009/4/1 13:23

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/8/28 21:56
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

mwa7368 wrote:
It would be great if someone could create a direct comparison chart of the candidates and their views/history in online or word/excel based spreadsheet.

While we don't have the ability right now to get this granular and comprehensive on the candidates, we will be rolling out a series of stories this month on the candidates' positions on specific issues, like the environment, crime and criminal justice, the arts, and development/transit. Not quite the same, but it's something.

Quote:

Is there a website that shows all the city council votes and the vote records of the members?

We are also currently pursuing foundation grants to set something like this up for the city, based on the lovely THOMAS system for Congress.

We will keep you posted.

Posted on: 2009/4/1 13:08

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/5/12 9:14
From Jersey City,nj
Group:
Registered Users
Sometimes people may judge you by the company that you keep.

Posted on: 2009/4/1 11:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

donaldj wrote:
Quote:

mwa7368 wrote:

Posted on: 2009/4/1 4:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/25 20:40
From somewhere else
Group:
Registered Users
You could try doing it through a wiki and editing out the blatantly false/exaggerated/bloviated.

Posted on: 2009/4/1 1:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
It would be great if someone could create a direct comparison chart of the candidates and their views/history in online or word/excel based spreadsheet. This is what I think citizens downtown would love. Unfortunately, there is no one that would do this in an unbiased manner so therefore it will never happen. It's a shame because I, as many, will not likely respond to handouts or even a little talk from a candidate because it's just to biased, I feel like I'm being sold something instead of getting good info.
Is there a website that shows all the city council votes and the vote records of the members? We really need some unbiased sources of information out there.
I don't need any info on Healy he's definitely through as far as I'm concerned.

Posted on: 2009/4/1 1:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/9/3 23:20
Group:
Registered Users
Pat Massett all the way!

Posted on: 2009/3/31 5:41

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/5/12 9:14
From Jersey City,nj
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

caj11 wrote:
Okay, so I already know where my city council votes are going, but can anyone provide insight on the mayoral candidates? The only one I know anything about is Healy, and I don't care to vote for him (I don't need to tick off a list of reasons why; there are many that I'm sure many people on this website know about). Can anyone provide insightful information on Daniel Levin, Louis M. Manzo and L. Harvey Smith?

While I'm sure these people have plenty of skeletons in their closets, I can't imagine anybody worse than Healy. Manzo is a former assemblyman, correct?

I agree as do all my friends that we will NOT be voting for Healy.As far as I know about the other candidates I can only comment on Harvey Smith and Louis Manzo.
I have not met Smith recently but I have seen him on TV and in the newspaper.I read not too long ago that he gave up some type of Sheriff job to concentrate on running for mayor.I know he was a acting mayor briefly and is now in the assembly.I also read somewhere that he was one of the sponsors of a recent bill changing laws regarding bedbug infestations in multi family buildings.I think I need to research him further but he sounds like a interesting candidate.I would'nt mind meeting him like I did Lou Manzo.
A couple of days ago I met Lou Manzo downtown who was out walking and speaking with people.Manzo introduced himself and asked if he could have a minute of my time so I stopped and listened.He said he was running for mayor and reminded me to vote May 12th.I asked why should I vote for him,and he said he was glad I asked.Manzo talked about his accomplishments in the assembly such as implementing anti-gang laws,funding senior programs,sponsoring legislation increasing the minimum wage and some other things I wish I was capable of explaining.What caught my attention was when he said he was the sponsor of a bill that gave the largest tax rebate in State history.Not to be selfish but what I was most interested in was the part about the property tax rebate and I intend to research that further.As I was leaving Manzo said something like he would'nt embarass Jersey City if elected but not a hundred percent sure on the wording.If I had to guess this would be a reference to the Healy administration.
Thats about all I can tell you.Look up their internet sites or go to the upcoming debates

Posted on: 2009/3/31 2:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/11/1 17:27
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

donaldj wrote:
Just an observation: I was out campaigning with several candidates participating in the upcoming municipal election. One thing that really struck me while being downtown was some of the extremely rude and condescending attitude of "many" of the people which we had encountered. Not to stereotype these people but i have to say that this attitude seemed to permeate from people who, at least to me looked to be newly arrived to this constantly gentrifying area of Jersey City. What is striking about this, is that these people are more than likely the biggest complainers and loudest critics of the administration, but when given the opportunity to either take a piece of literature or engage one of the actual office holders in a conversation they will just walk by and not even make eye contact. This is a shame, because THIS IS THE DEMOCRATIC PROCESS and minimally people should at least be respectfull to those who are participating in it. Before everyone starts saying that I'm picking on downtowners, I said "MANY" of the people not "all". Those people who act this way know who you are.

Well, if you going to be out there engaging in the general public, you're going to run into all types, which means running into rude as well as nice people, so try to be thick skinned.

And while I want to say you are being stereotypical, (which you are) there's probably some truth in it. It reminds me of how the noisiest people in movies theaters are the first to complain about others. Good luck campaigning.

Posted on: 2009/3/30 13:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Donald, don't take this wrong, I like reading your posts but this is what sprung to my mind...
Resized Image
Quote:

donaldj wrote:
.. but when given the opportunity to either take a piece of literature or engage one of the actual office holders in a conversation they will just walk by and not even make eye contact....

Posted on: 2009/3/30 12:38

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

mwa7368 wrote:

Posted on: 2009/3/30 11:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2009/3/30 11:48

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned

Posted on: 2009/3/30 11:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Okay, so I already know where my city council votes are going, but can anyone provide insight on the mayoral candidates? The only one I know anything about is Healy, and I don't care to vote for him (I don't need to tick off a list of reasons why; there are many that I'm sure many people on this website know about). Can anyone provide insightful information on Daniel Levin, Louis M. Manzo and L. Harvey Smith?

While I'm sure these people have plenty of skeletons in their closets, I can't imagine anybody worse than Healy. Manzo is a former assemblyman, correct?

Posted on: 2009/3/30 6:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
PETITIONS ARE IN, THE RACE IS ON!
5 file for mayor; 43 seek seats on council

Friday, March 20, 2009
By AMY SARA CLARK
JOURNAL STAFF WRITER

Forty-eight candidates for mayor and City Council filed petitions at the Jersey City Clerk's Office by yesterday's 4 p.m. deadline.

The slate of candidates is markedly down from the more than 70 hopefuls who picked up petitions from the City Clerk's Office since January.

But the drop-off is not unusual, according to City Clerk Robert Byrne. In 2005, 69 people picked up petitions and only 32 ended up on the ballot, he said.

Mayoral and at-large council candidates need 1,392 valid petitions to make the ballot for the May 12 election. City Council ward candidates need between 198 and 276 valid petitions, depending on the ward.

Most of the candidates who crowded the Clerk's Office a few minutes before 4 were turning in additional petitions "for insurance" to cover names deemed invalid.

"I just wanted to be on the safe side," said Ward A candidate Andre Richardson, who a few minutes before the deadline brought in 80 petitions to add to the 374 he filed two weeks ago.

But three candidates - Ward C candidate Craig Bailey, Ward D candidate John Muniz and Ward E candidate Jaime Vazquez - dropped off all their petitions in the final hour.

Ward B candidate Mike Manzo (no relation to mayoral candidate Lou Manzo) dropped off his petitions earlier in the day, but ran into the office five minutes before the deadline to add a slogan: "Bringing change to the forgotten ward."

The City Clerk's office has certified the signatures of all but nine of the candidates, including those of six candidates who filed in the last three days, said Sean J. Gallagher, the deputy city clerk.

Candidates who fall short on valid names will have until March 25 at 4 p.m. to file additional petitions.

AMY SARA CLARK can be reached at aclark@jjournal.com

Posted on: 2009/3/20 13:11

Whew! Made it. 48 candidates meet filing deadline for municipal elections
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Whew! Made it. 48 candidates meet filing deadline for municipal elections

by Amy Sara Clark / The Jersey Journal
Thursday March 19, 2009

Resized Image
Ward E candidate Azam Riaz, right, turns in additional petitions at the Jersey City Clerk's Office at 3:54 p.m. on March 19, 2009. At-large candidate Abdul Malik waits to speak to the City Clerk.

Forty-eight mayoral and city council candidates filed petitions at the Jersey City Clerk Office by today's 4 p.m. deadline. Mayoral and council-at-large candidates need 1,392 valid petitions to make the ballot for the May 12 election. City council ward candidates need between 198 and 276 valid petitions.

Most of the candidates who showed up at the last minute were adding additional petitions "for insurance" to cover names deemed invalid.

But three candidates -- Ward C candidate Craig Bailey, Ward D candidate John Muniz and Ward E candidate Jaime Vazquez -- dropped off all their petitions in the final hour.

The City Clerk's office has been working late all week to certify the names. But several candidates are still awaiting certification.

Here's the list:

Mayor (certified for the ballot): Jerramiah T. Healy, Daniel Levin, Louis M. Manzo and L. Harvey Smith
Mayor (awaiting certification): Philip G. Webb

Council-at-large (certified): Peter M. Brennan, Joseph T. Cassidy, Marie Day,Emilio DeLia, Willie L. Flood, Ronald F. Greco, Andrew C. Hubsch, BettyOutlaw, Frank Scalcione, Lori Serrano, Mariano Vega Jr.
Council-at-large (awaiting certification): Abdul J. Malik, Noemi Velazquez

Ward A (certified): Rolando R. Lavarro Jr., Andre M. Richardson, Michael J. Sottolano, Frances O. Thompson

Ward B (certified): Paul Catsandonis, Philip J. Kenny, Michael J. Manzo and Arthur "Artie" Wiliams
Ward B (awaiting certification): Douglas Salters

Ward C (certified): James P. King Sr., Nidia R. Lopez, Patrick Massett, Norrice L. Raymaker and Adela Rohena.
Ward C (awaiting certification): Craig Bailey, Asim Usman

Ward D (certified): James J. Carroll, William "Bill" Gaughan
Ward D (awaiting certification): Christian A. Araujo, John Muniz

Ward E (certified): Guy Catrillo, Steven Fulop, Azam Riaz
Ward E (awaiting certification): Jaime Vazquez

Ward F (certified): Ronnie-Calvin Clark, Viola S. Richardson, La Vern Web Washington.

Posted on: 2009/3/20 0:22

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017